• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Broken Stone, Breaking the News to Best Host Ever

for free! I know that it's a lot of money to spend on something like that, but hosting a show is a great way to make it up to you. If hosting again isn't an option for her due to the stone issue, I'd be happy to order her a new one for her at no cost. I hope that this helps and that she can still enjoy her wonderful pieces!
babywings76
Gold Member
I just got this e-mail. It's from a close friend's sister who I've also become really close to. She's hosted twice for me and both times had my highest shows ever.

Hey Amanda!

How are you doing?

My large bar stone was sitting on the counter and a small glass spice jar fell out of the cabinet and broken the stone. Is there any way we would get it replaced at no cost? Pease let me know either way.... I was really starting to love that stone... it was all broken in. :(

Thanks!

I know that it was an accident and that is not covered. I know that she will not be able to get HO to agree to send her a new one. I know I should suggest she use her past host discount to buy a new one or that perhaps it's time for her to host again. ;) But I'm trying to figure out how to word it so that she gets the facts, but knows that I'm sympathetic to her loss. ;)

How about Breffist, Breffix for breakfast. My BIL says that ALL the time. Oh, here's another big PA thing. "The floor needs clean" instead of the floor needs to be cleaned, or needs cleaning.Another thing is just certain terms for things. Like a sweeper instead of vacuum.

Since she's hosted for you more than once, you are probably pretty comfortably with her, right? Why not take a friendly and personal approach in your reply. Just say that you're really bummed that her stone got broken and how awful it is when little accidents ruin products we love. Maybe if you have a similar story about a product you've had that happen to (if it has, obviously-lol). Tell her that while unfortunately it can't be replaced free of cost, she could always host a show and replace it with the free product value she earns. Basically what you said here sounds like a good plan for your response!

When this has happened, I offer to order it for them 20% off or whatever my commission is, and that usually helps them feel a little better. I'm basically giving up whatever I would have made on it, but its good PR and a write off for me.Sandi

sandilou said:
When this has happened, I offer to order it for them 20% off or whatever my commission is, and that usually helps them feel a little better. I'm basically giving up whatever I would have made on it, but its good PR and a write off for me.

Sandi

That does sound really nice and generous. But will it set a precedent? Will she think she can always get stuff from me at that discount? How would I word it so that this could be a one time gesture? I don't know, maybe that wouldn't be right to mention.

How about offering to give it to her for free or half-price when she hosts her next show, above what her normal hosts benefits will be? It depends on how big her shows are as to what you're comfortable offering. If she usually reaches the 30% host discount level, your commission will be at least 20% so it is costing you half-price, ex. $17, to earn a hefty commission on her whole show. Not a bad price to pay for a big show and keeping a good host/customer happy. If she doesn't want to host, I think you still should figure out a way to get her a new one at more than her 10% PHD. This is where the flexibility of being in business for yourself comes into play.

She earned $240 in free products for her last show. Her show total was $1172. Part of me feels like since she was such a great host I should give her a little freebie. However, she was well rewarded from PC. I just can't think of how to give her a discount on this and not have it seem odd. If someone were to choose to extend a discount once, I know I'd be thinking that they'd do it again. But, it really doesn't cost me anything to do this as a favor and keep her happy. Then again, I don't really think she's an unreasonable person. I think by sticking to the rules of the business it just makes things easier. Here's what I think I'm going to e-mail her back:I'm sorry to hear that your stone broke. It's always so sad to see a stone break, especially when they are nice and seasoned. :(Unfortunately, accidents like that aren't covered, but I'd be happy to help you get a new one. As you know, the best way would be for free when you host a show using your free product value. You always do such an awesome job at hosting! Not only can you earn a free bar pan, but probably another $200 or so worth of products like your other times. :) (Plus your free shipping!) Otherwise, I am actually putting in an order on Thursday. You do still have your 10% Past host Discount that we can apply to it, bringing it to a grand total of $36.94, if you'd like to order it. Let me know what you think.

I would say:
Unfortunately accidents are not covered, only damage that occurs during "normal use" which means if it had broken in the oven while you were cooking the 3 year warranty would cover it. But dropping something on is not considered "normal use". I'm sorry! :(If you would like to host another show to earn it for free or at a discount I would love to help you with that. Otherwise, I have a show closing on _____ if you would like to use your 10% past host discount and help another one of my hosts to possibly reach a new level of sales. ;)
Many of my customers will tell me to hold their order & add it to a show that will be closing soon. They like the thought of helping a stranger possibly earn more. :D

I thought maybe I should just call her, so I did. Only to get a machine. So I told her I'd be sending her an e-mail w/ some info.This is what I'm going to send her:I'm sorry to hear that your stone broke. It's always so sad to see a stone break, especially when they are nice and seasoned. :(I hate having to give you bad news, but unfortunately accidents aren't covered. Damage that occurs during "normal use" would be, which means if it had broken in the oven while you were cooking, for example, the 3 year warranty would cover it. But dropping something on is not considered "normal use". I'm sorry! :(If you would like to host another show to earn it for free or at a discount I would love to help you with that. You always do such an awesome job at hosting! Not only would you earn a new bar pan, but probably another $200 or so worth of products if it's anything like your other times. :) Otherwise, I am actually submitting a show tomorrow and I could order you a new one. You do still have your 10% Past host Discount that we can apply to it, bringing it to a grand total (including tax and S&H) of $36.94. I'm also attaching a copy of our upcoming host specials so you can see if May or June appeal to you. Let me know what you think.Talk to you soon,
Amanda

babywings76 said:
I thought maybe I should just call her, so I did. Only to get a machine. So I told her I'd be sending her an e-mail w/ some info.

This is what I'm going to send her:

I'm sorry to hear that your stone broke. It's always so sad to see a stone break, especially when they are nice and seasoned. :(

I hate having to give you bad news, but unfortunately accidents aren't covered. Damage that occurs during "normal use" would be, which means if it had broken in the oven while you were cooking, for example, the 3 year warranty would cover it. But dropping something on is not considered "normal use". I'm sorry! :(

If you would like to host another show to earn it for free or at a discount I would love to help you with that. You always do such an awesome job at hosting! Not only would you earn a new bar pan, but probably another $200 or so worth of products if it's anything like your other times. :)

Otherwise, I am actually submitting a show tomorrow and I could order you a new one. You do still have your 10% Past host Discount that we can apply to it, bringing it to a grand total (including tax and S&H) of $36.94.

I'm also attaching a copy of our upcoming host specials so you can see if May or June appeal to you.

Let me know what you think.

Talk to you soon,
Amanda

I think your response is great--from her initial contact she suspected this may be the case anyway.

Well, here's a terrible reaction situation. But first, let me share with you her response to my email:Hey Amanda...
Thank you for your call and e-mail. Right now I don't want to host a show... but maybe down the road. :) I'll have to pass on getting a new one for now. Thanks for getting back to me. It is so sad.... :(

So I wrote back (remember she is a friend of mine, and I'm friends w/ her family)I feel so bad, though. I'd hate to be without my bar stone. :( I hate to see you have to wait to order it. What if I extend to you a partial discount that I get, and give you an extra 10% off, so a total of 20% off. Xxxxx (her sister) is also placing an order, so we could combine yours and then you wouldn't have to pay shipping (or you could split it with her.)Hope that will help a little. Let me know. I understand about hosting, because I know you have a lot on your plate right now. So this morning I just sent out my May newsletter and then I got this from her:Hey Amanda....
I probably will not be ordering anymore PC products. I'm kind of disappointed in PC's broken stone policy. I hope you understand...this is nothing personal.
So now I have this knot in my stomach and feel nauseous! She was my BEST host twice! I feel like I should cut her a break because she has been a great host and loyal to PC for so long. I feel like I've let her down. Then there's the other side of me who feels like maybe she's just stressed out right now and over-reacting. She probably feels that she's brought in so much business to PC, that they should give her a new stone for free. But that's not fair to PC or to me. I got a commission, but I earned it. I made a profit, but not huge considering I drove 2 hours for her show and sent out mini cats and full page invites w/ postage for 50 or so names. I feel bad for her, though, and so I just don't know what to do.I completely understand PC policy and I just don't understand how people think that accidents should be covered. That wouldn't happen with any company!

I'd leave it alone for now. You've offered her a deal and she isn't interested right now. Eventually she'll be using other items she has from PC and will remember the fun and benefits. She's your friend so you'll be seeing her around. If it comes up just say you understand her frustration and that you wish you could do more and let it drop.

You are exactly right when you say they wouldn't expect replacement from any other retail company. You did what you can, and even offered extra. Just bless and release. (I know, easier said than done!)

Wow. I've learned a lot from this thread.

So sorry about your customer's (and your) experience Babywings. :( That really bites!!

Before I became a consultant I researched cutomers reactions to PC products (of course you can't always trust what is written on the internet ;)) but, I read a lot of stories about stones breaking and how mad everyone was that PC wouldn't replace it! Some of these situations were where they didn't follow the Use and Care instructions (thermal shock) so it was all their fault and they needed to get over it! But then I read about other situations like your friend's. And I thought, "C'mon, that was totally an accident!! It SHOULD be covered under warranty!"

But, as well all know so many people could lie about what happened to their stone to make it sound like an accident, so no one can be trusted and everyone has to suffer because of it. Also like you were mentioning Babywings, if PC (or You) bend the rules once for someone, then someone else will expect that they/you will do the same for them in a similar situation.

It really sucks! :( But you handled it like a Pro! Really! Give your friend some time and I pray she will come around again for you. :)

emiscookin said:
But then I read about other situations like your friend's. And I thought, "C'mon, that was totally an accident!! It SHOULD be covered under warranty!"

But that's just the thing. Warranties and Guarantees don't cover accidents. If you have, say, a digital camera, and you drop it and the lens cracks, that's not covered under the camera's guarantee. And I know numerous people who have iPhones with cracks across the screen because the phone was dropped, and that's not covered under the warranty.

The PC Guarantee covers the product for defects in manufacturing, and in the case of stones, for damages incurred in shipping. This means that if you use the stone in accordance to directions, and it cracks while in use, then it is covered. But if you cause thermal shock by putting frozen chicken straight into the oven, or run a hot stone under water and crack it, you're not covered. Also, if you drop the stone, or drop something on it, and that causes it to crack, that's not a defect either, and isn't covered.

It isn't PC's responsibility to make sure you don't break your stone if it's broken by something they have no control over. That wouldn't be fair to PC, or people would just call up and say "I dropped my stone, I need a new one" whenever they feel like it.

BethCooks4U said:
I'd leave it alone for now. You've offered her a deal and she isn't interested right now. Eventually she'll be using other items she has from PC and will remember the fun and benefits. She's your friend so you'll be seeing her around. If it comes up just say you understand her frustration and that you wish you could do more and let it drop.

Beth, I agree with you, totally. Amanda, you've done a nice job explaining it. I do think this host will come back around eventually. Someone will tell her how silly she is being--if she broke a stone she bought from a Department Store, by any method, they sure wouldn't replace it or give her a discount on another one. I really believe she'll come back. If you have a newsletter, keep her on your mailing list. If not, I'd still periodically send her a new mini catalog.

Thanks everyone for your help and support. I don't know why, but this situation has left me so sad and disappointed. I'm hoping that she will look back and see how great PC is and how she may have over-reacted. She is on my mailing list and hopefully won't unsubscribe. So maybe in the future she'll have a change of heart. Oh, and my sister goes to church with her and is friends w/ her, and my sister is booking a show w/ me for May. So I wonder what will be said to my sister when she invites her.

I know you feel bad but please don't feel like you have to bend over backwards. No company replaces things because they break by accident. Toy manufacturers won't replace toys that kids throw when mad and break, car manufacturers don't replace vehicles if we have an accident, grocery stores won't replace a carton of eggs we dropped when opening the trunk...etc.

I know those are extreme examples, but it's the same thing. Why people get so caught up in thinking that PC should replace every product that breaks or gets damaged by their own actions is beyond me. I dropped my food chopper last week at the end of a show and bent the blades all up. I ordered a new one. I didn't expect PC to replace it because it's not their fault I dropped it and messed it up! When I worked in retail I was faced all the time with customers that thought we were responsible for everything that went wrong or they changed their mind about so I've learned not to jump when customers start to threaten to take away their business. If you react then you're teaching them that making threats is an effective way to get what they want (and yes, I literally saw a customer post that to other customers on a message board discussing my old store! They said "just threaten to call corporate and the manager will give you what you want." Nice.)

Just take a deep breath, let her know that you're sorry she's disappointed and you'll be there if she decides to replace it in the future.

What is a broken stone and how can I prevent it from happening?

A broken stone is a term used to describe a damaged or cracked Pampered Chef stoneware. To prevent this from happening, it is important to properly care for and handle your stoneware. This includes avoiding extreme temperature changes, using nylon or wooden utensils, and never placing it in the dishwasher.

What should I do if my stone breaks?

If your stone breaks, please contact our customer service team at 1-800-266-5562 for assistance. We offer a limited warranty and may be able to replace your broken stone.

How do I inform my best host ever that their stone has been damaged?

We understand that it can be uncomfortable to break the news to your best host ever, but it is important to be honest and transparent. We recommend approaching the conversation with empathy and offering to help with any necessary replacements or repairs.

Can a broken stone still be used for cooking?

We do not recommend using a broken stone for cooking as it may affect the outcome of your recipe and could potentially be a safety hazard. We advise replacing the broken stone or contacting our customer service team for further assistance.

Is there any way to repair a broken stone?

Unfortunately, stoneware cannot be repaired once it is broken. We recommend replacing the broken stone or contacting our customer service team for further assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Butterfly15
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lauradahl
  • Chozengirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
KellyRedHead
  • chefsteph07