• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bareminerals or Something Else?

In summary, Katie likes using Bare Escentuals, but is considering switching to Maybelline's new powder mineral makeup.
katie0128
Silver Member
I hate wearing makeup, but need to because I hate the way my skin looks and I break out VERY easily! I've heard more and more people switching away from bareMinerals to other brands because one of the ingredients can clog pores.

So - if you use bareMinerals, what do you like? If you use a mineral makeup, but not bareMinerals, what do you use?

I use Bare Escentual make up and love it, my pores have gotten smaller and I have very very few breakouts. I started my daughter on it last year too and she hardly ever has a breakout now and we have been known to sleep in it. I also use the Rare Minerals at night and the cleanser. Love it, Love it, Love it!

I love Bare Minerals. As a matter of fact, my daughter is close to wanting to wear makeup and I plan on purchasing it for her.

I got hooked BTW while at National Conference last year.

I use Dechant Sheer Minerals. If I remember correctly it doesn't have talc which BareMinerals does.

I have a lot of cosmetic/perfume/asthma/other allergies. Ugh.

Was dubious about minerals, and now love them! :eek:Especially no clogged pores or sore skin, break outs. Good coverage without looking chalky :)

I'm very happy with smokeymountainminerals.com. Tried a sample from Ebay auction, first. Good customer service, price is right for me. No affliation.

Many companies, large and small, have jumped on the bandwagon. Even Almay has a mineral makeup. Experiment, is my suggestion!

Katie, if makeup makes you break out, then you should read the labels on mineral makeup before you buy. Many (Bare Escentuals included) contain bismuth oxychloride, which has been linked to clogged pores and breakouts. I've been using Bare Escentuals, but will be switching over to a handmade product when I run out. I found someone who sells on Etsy who includes no fillers (talc) or bismuth in her mineral makeup, and she sends samples so you can pick the right color.

This is what I use: http://simply-minerals.com/It's a LOT cheaper than the other mineral stuff. I've been using it for nearly 2 years now and really like it. I've got 4 eyeshadow colors that really shimmer (I use them as shadow and liner) and I use a foundation powder from her that really melts into my skintone yet gets rid of imperfections with very little. I bought a contrasting blush powder but rarely use it. I find I simply don't need it. The powder covers up the imperfections NOT my face, per se. It's not a mask like other foundations (which I can't stand and can't wear in hot weather - they melt off me). Her prices are very reasonable. I've ordered from her twice and plan on doing so again when I need more.

I use Everyday Minerals they will send you free samples too. It isn't as expensive as some others. My skin is very sensitive and prone to breakouts I have had good luck with this for the past year.
although its online only the shipping is very fast even with the 5-7 day option I ususally get it within 3.Most times it ships the same day.
Everyday Minerals

I just switched to Bare Escentuals the other day. I was wearing Arbonne - and I LOVE Arbonne, I hope I like BE just as well.

Bare Escentuals is awesome. I also got hooked on it at National Conference two years ago. It feels so natural and not caked on. Try it .... you'll love it!

I can only wear mineral make-up. I've not tried any of these listed so far, but due to cost, I just started using a new mineral makeup by Maybelline (available in stores) and so far, I really like it and haven't had any problems. I tried Sheer Cover "as seen on TV" but it had a tendency to look thick on my face.

MK has a new line of this out...has anyone tried it?

I have the powder mineral from MK. It's really nice and light but I don't think it covers up everything so you still have to wear a little bit of foundation underneath.

My SIL has trouble with liquid foundation because it makes her face feel really hot. I wanted to get an opinion on this before I let her get it.

krzymomof4 said:
My SIL has trouble with liquid foundation because it makes her face feel really hot. I wanted to get an opinion on this before I let her get it.

One of my favorites is Maybeliene's Matte Mousse. It's very light and easy to put on. I hate liquid foundations and pressed stuff was always hard to get to go on evenly. I use the Matte Mousse and top with the mineral powder from MK.

I've been thinking about the mineral makeup too; but didn't know what was good. Thanks for the tips!

krzymomof4 said:
MK has a new line of this out...has anyone tried it?

SIL is a MK consultant and i've tried the new mineral line and LOVE IT! The eye shadow is all so pretty and easy to apply, it blends well. The foundation is so lightweight. I hate the caked feeling of regular foundation but this stuff is so nice. The other thing I like is that you look like you spent hours on your make-up but it only took about 5 min!

I use Arbonne Make up and love it, very gentle on the skin, kind of pricey, but worth it.

I tried sheer cover and I agree - it felt like a mask and I couldn't match my skintone. I have been using bare minerals (escentials) for the past 3 yrs and love it. I would love to find something less expensive though. I am going to check out the one listed her that gives samples. Thanks!!

lacychef said:
I've been thinking about the mineral makeup too; but didn't know what was good. Thanks for the tips!

I met the woman who mixes Dechant Sheer Minerals at the Womans Fair a couple of years ago. She is out of Hutch. I had tried Bare Minerals before, but like this much better, plus I can call her and she will drop it in the mail to me right away, you can check her out at 'healthymineral makeup.com

So how many of you use the skin care products from the same line as your makeup?

katie0128 said:
So how many of you use the skin care products from the same line as your makeup?

Me, I'm an arbonne girl :)

I like Arbonne, but just can't afford it.

katie0128 said:

Not I! I find different things here and there that I like. I really like MK eye shadow and lip stick and now their mineral powder. Cover Girl mascara, Avon eyeliner and Maybeliene matte mousse foundation.

katie0128 said:
Skin care products? What are those?

<giggle>... I decided that since I have surpased the 30 year old mark and am trying to act like a grown-up (not so much on this site, but in "real life"), I should do obnoxious stuff like skin care!

katie0128 said:
<giggle>... I decided that since I have surpased the 30 year old mark and am trying to act like a grown-up (not so much on this site, but in "real life"), I should do obnoxious stuff like skin care!

Crap, you have to grow up when you turn 30. I only have a few years left!

Turn 30 is mandatory, but growing up is optional!

Well, I'm almost 37, so well into middle age, and I refuse to grow up. I also refuse to be one of those people who is so paranoid about growing older that they end up looking ridiculous. Although I will admit to coloring my hair 2 weeks ago to cover the grey at my temples.

katie0128 said:
Turn 30 is mandatory, but growing up is optional!

Whew! Glad to know that.

chefann said:
Well, I'm almost 37, so well into middle age, and I refuse to grow up. I also refuse to be one of those people who is so paranoid about growing older that they end up looking ridiculous. Although I will admit to coloring my hair 2 weeks ago to cover the grey at my temples.

smiley_slapacrossroom.gif

chefann said:

37 -- well into middle age, say it ain't so. If that is the case, I am in the twilight of my life!!! I like to think that I am living until 100 so I am right in the middle now!!!

As for Bare Escentuals.. been using the stuff for years. Love it. To the poster who spoke about skin breaking out, etc, something to think about: it might be worth the effort to do a week or so of a really "clean" diet. Water, no milk/dairy, no meat, no alcohol, nothing processed, pretty vegan and whole food. Myself, my skin is thankfully good, but every so ofter something ticks it off. I just do this for a week or so and I am good.

As to skin care, the most important thing you can use is suncreen and plenty of it. For a (cough cough) 50-something (I can't believe I actually typed those words.. usually I only admit to 28) woman, my skin is fairly smooth with minimal wrinkles and I attribute it to sunscreen, moisturizer and plenty of wine!

Kind of late posting this but had to share. I have been using Bare Minerals for over 2 years and I absolutely LOVE it!!! I have extremely oily skin and hair, even the oil-free foundation from MK made me oily. I sleep in this almost every night and I wake up oil free skin every morning. I had break outs all through high school and well after but now I rarely have them. I am addicted and want to try everything that they have. Most of my coworkers have even switched to it.

PamperChefCarol said:
37 -- well into middle age, say it ain't so.
Mathematically, it's true!

The average American lives to be 83. Let's round UP to 90. Middle is one of 3: youth, middle age, and old age. Divide 90 into thirds, and those are birth-30, 31-60 and 61-death.

chefann said:
Mathematically, it's true!

The average American lives to be 83. Let's round UP to 90. Middle is one of 3: youth, middle age, and old age. Divide 90 into thirds, and those are birth-30, 31-60 and 61-death.

Yes, let's round up to 90 -- that makes me not quite middle aged yet. It does seem strange to know that, unless I have an unusually long life span, I'm 1/2 way through.

And I'm here wishing the opposite. (If I had my way, then for me 15 would have been middle aged. But I'm too much of a wimp.)

chefann said:
And I'm here wishing the opposite. (If I had my way, then for me 15 would have been middle aged. But I'm too much of a wimp.)

Oh Ann, I'm glad that's not the way life has worked out for you!!! We'd have missed your wit and wisdom.

I'm always surprised when I have a birthday. I just turned 43 (Friday) -- oh that's the first time I wrote that -- and I never thought I'd live past 18. From some of my exploits, it's a wonder I did.

chefjeanine said:
Oh Ann, I'm glad that's not the way life has worked out for you!!! We'd have missed your wit and wisdom.

I'm always surprised when I have a birthday. I just turned 43 (Friday) -- oh that's the first time I wrote that -- and I never thought I'd live past 18. From some of my exploits, it's a wonder I did.

Jeanine - we can't be long lost sisters than!:cry: I turned 43 at the beginning of the month.....but one more thing we have in common!

ChefBeckyD said:
Jeanine - we can't be long lost sisters than!:cry: I turned 43 at the beginning of the month.....but one more thing we have in common!

Twins? I'm the one who did not want to come out and face the cold, cruel world!

chefjeanine said:
Twins? I'm the one who did not want to come out and face the cold, cruel world!

Well, ChefAnn has suggested that I may be her twin....oh wait, no, she already has a twin....plus the fact that she is just a child still....

pjpamchef said:
I met the woman who mixes Dechant Sheer Minerals at the Womans Fair a couple of years ago. She is out of Hutch. I had tried Bare Minerals before, but like this much better, plus I can call her and she will drop it in the mail to me right away, you can check her out at 'healthymineral makeup.com

Thanks for that info!

ChefBeckyD said:
Well, ChefAnn has suggested that I may be her twin....oh wait, no, she already has a twin....plus the fact that she is just a child still....

Please reference my above posts. I am not still a child. I am firmly (7 years) into middle age.

Most mineral makeup I've tried makes me break out (very allergic to everything), but I finally tried M.A.C.'s mineral line and love it. No problems and in true M.A.C. fashion - wonderful colors!

chefann said:
Please reference my above posts. I am not still a child. I am firmly (7 years) into middle age.

That was a comparison of your age to Becky and mine. :)

chefann said:

Spoken like a true younger sister!:p {Stomping foot}"I'm not a baby....I'm a big girl now....."

:love: Love Ya Ann! :love:

Admin Greg said:
I posted this here and BM seems legit

Bare Minerals

OMG! :eek: Are those people speaking English? Thank you Greg for that little peek into another world.

ChefBeckyD said:
Wasn't that the beginning of last month???? ...or am I lost?

katie0128 said:

I use the MK skin care. The way SIL describes it, if you mix your skincare and foundation it's like a chemical war fare on your face. A lot of things create a reaction when they are mixed and it's impossible to know what will happen. Not a chance I want to take!

<h2>1. What is the main difference between bareMinerals and other mineral makeup brands?</h2><p>The main difference between bareMinerals and other mineral makeup brands is the formulation of their products. bareMinerals prides itself on using only natural, skin-loving ingredients in their makeup, while other brands may use synthetic or filler ingredients.</p><h2>2. Is bareMinerals suitable for those with sensitive or acne-prone skin?</h2><p>Yes, bareMinerals is generally suitable for sensitive or acne-prone skin. However, since everyone's skin is different, it's important to patch test any new makeup product before using it all over your face. Additionally, if you do experience any irritation or breakouts, discontinue use and consult with a dermatologist.</p><h2>3. What are the common concerns about bareMinerals clogging pores?</h2><p>The concern about bareMinerals clogging pores usually stems from the use of the ingredient bismuth oxychloride. This ingredient has a mineral structure that can sit on top of the skin and potentially clog pores for some individuals. However, bareMinerals offers a bismuth-free version of their original foundation for those with this concern.</p><h2>4. What are some other mineral makeup brands that people are switching to?</h2><p>Some other popular mineral makeup brands include jane iredale, Youngblood, and Colorescience. These brands also offer natural and skin-friendly formulations, but may have different ingredients and coverage options compared to bareMinerals.</p><h2>5. Can you recommend any specific bareMinerals products for someone who hates wearing makeup?</h2><p>If you hate wearing makeup but still want to improve your skin's appearance, I would recommend the bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream. It has a lightweight, sheer coverage that feels like skincare but also helps even out skin tone and provide hydration. It's a great option for those who prefer a more natural and minimal makeup look.</p>

1. What is the main difference between bareMinerals and other mineral makeup brands?

The main difference between bareMinerals and other mineral makeup brands is the formulation of their products. bareMinerals prides itself on using only natural, skin-loving ingredients in their makeup, while other brands may use synthetic or filler ingredients.

2. Is bareMinerals suitable for those with sensitive or acne-prone skin?

Yes, bareMinerals is generally suitable for sensitive or acne-prone skin. However, since everyone's skin is different, it's important to patch test any new makeup product before using it all over your face. Additionally, if you do experience any irritation or breakouts, discontinue use and consult with a dermatologist.

3. What are the common concerns about bareMinerals clogging pores?

The concern about bareMinerals clogging pores usually stems from the use of the ingredient bismuth oxychloride. This ingredient has a mineral structure that can sit on top of the skin and potentially clog pores for some individuals. However, bareMinerals offers a bismuth-free version of their original foundation for those with this concern.

4. What are some other mineral makeup brands that people are switching to?

Some other popular mineral makeup brands include jane iredale, Youngblood, and Colorescience. These brands also offer natural and skin-friendly formulations, but may have different ingredients and coverage options compared to bareMinerals.

5. Can you recommend any specific bareMinerals products for someone who hates wearing makeup?

If you hate wearing makeup but still want to improve your skin's appearance, I would recommend the bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream. It has a lightweight, sheer coverage that feels like skincare but also helps even out skin tone and provide hydration. It's a great option for those who prefer a more natural and minimal makeup look.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • Mindy50135