• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

August Party Dilemma: To Reschedule or Join the Family Reunion?

In summary, the author is trying to decide whether to reschedule or go to a family reunion and the author's first thought is "huh?" but then they realize it could be fun and they would gear the presentation towards feeding a crowd. They would like the host to share the benefits and the recipe to make sure it is suitable for a large crowd. They would also like to be given some time to gather everyone so they can explain the products. If the host can't do that, they might need to consider doing a catalog show instead.
Dawn4
Gold Member
So this is a new one for me. I have a party scheduled for the end of August. The hostess called me today and said her family reunion, which is being held in a local park, is the same day. When I told her I could reschedule she said she doesn't want to do that, she would like me to come to her family reunion and do my show there. All of her family will be around and she thinks it will be a lot of fun. I'm not sure what I should do. Any suggestions???

My first thought was..."huh?"...but then, I realized it really could be fun.

I would make a requirement that EVERYONE in attendance must know there is going to be a presentation/demonstration. I would be pretty peeved if I showed up at a family reunion to find a sales pitch, but if I was warned ahead of time, I would be okay with it.

Then, I would ask the host to share the benefits. Maybe do a "mystery host" type thing, where the benefits are split between several winners, or just have one grand prize winner.

I would gear the recipe towards feeding a crowd. As in...what to feed everyone when visiting. Doing the demo in a park limits what you can make, but you could definitely do something that would wow and feed a bunch at the same time!

I would give it a shot. It could turn into a string of bookings for you with people you don't already know!

HTH...SIID!

Sounds great! There'll be a lot of people there.The only thing that would concern me is whether people will expect you, or if you will be an unwelcome "surprise guest." Get some more info from her about whether her family will know in advance that you'll be there and be presenting an opportunity for them to shop.

I'd be a little leary about it if I were you.....how would you feel if you were expecting to go to a family reunion wanting (or not) to catch-up with your relatives and found out you were a captive audience to an unexpected sales presentation. I'd reschedule.

That's what I'm afraid of, these people looking at me like I have no business being there. I'm not even sure if making a recipe there is a good idea. I was thinking of preparing one or two finger-type foods prior to getting there and then just setting up my table. I thought maybe I could run a raffle or a special every 15 minutes for maybe a an hour and a half time span. I thought maybe I could bring balloons and fill them with a slip of paper that entitles you to a free gift from me if you book a show or place an order over $100. I'm trying to think out of the box. Maybe treat this like a fair instead of a party. What do you guys think???

pamperedlinda said:
I'd be a little leary about it if I were you.....how would you feel if you were expecting to go to a family reunion wanting (or not) to catch-up with your relatives and found out you were a captive audience to an unexpected sales presentation. I'd reschedule.

I tried to get her to reschedule, but she said she wasn't able to. If I don't do it on this day it isn't going to work. I also tried to get her to do a catalog show, but she wasn't open to that either. If I don't do it on this particular day I'm going to lose the show.

Dawn4 said:
I tried to get her to reschedule, but she said she wasn't able to. If I don't do it on this day it isn't going to work. I also tried to get her to do a catalog show, but she wasn't open to that either. If I don't do it on this particular day I'm going to lose the show.
So, does this mean that the only people in attendance will be her family? Who was she planning to invite before she realized that this was the day of her reunion? Is she going to invite those friends to come to the reunion as well? If you are going to do this you need to be sure that her family is aware that you are coming and why you are going to be there. I'd still be leary.....

How about getting a list of those attending to send them an invitation? That way they know you will be there. Just make sure it isn't a catering event! Also, ask your host to give you some time to gather everyone so you can explain the products. If she can't work with you, then I would have a talk with the host and explain to her that you feel that you would be intruding otherwise.
I just had a party where the host invited couples over. The party was in the garage and I made grilled Italian Pizza. They were having a good ole time. They had not had a party in a very long time and did give me their full attention. But is was if I was invited to the neighborhood party. She is going to close it out tomorrow...she is over $1,000 with 3 bookings!

baychef said:
How about getting a list of those attending to send them an invitation? That way they know you will be there. Just make sure it isn't a catering event! Also, ask your host to give you some time to gather everyone so you can explain the products. If she can't work with you, then I would have a talk with the host and explain to her that you feel that you would be intruding otherwise.
I just had a party where the host invited couples over. The party was in the garage and I made grilled Italian Pizza. They were having a good ole time. They had not had a party in a very long time and did give me their full attention. But is was if I was invited to the neighborhood party. She is going to close it out tomorrow...she is over $1,000 with 3 bookings!

I spoke to her about getting invitations out. She said she's way too busy at work and doesn't have time. I will definately tell her that she has to make sure with everyone that it's okay. I don't want to bombard these people when they're trying to have a good time.
I never thought to ask her if it was a catered event. I'm really thinking that if I do this I should set it up more like a fair booth and not do a cooking show. Maybe I'll have things to chop on hand and a bunch of garlic for the press. I could prepare a desert in the trifle bowl ahead of time.
I'm very leary of this, but I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face. This is something that's out of the norm and out of my comfort zone, but if there are a lot of people there I could get a ton of bookings. :cool:

Dawn4 said:
I spoke to her about getting invitations out. She said she's way too busy at work and doesn't have time. .......................if there are a lot of people there I could get a ton of bookings. :cool:
Okay, not to rain on your parade here but....I think she's being less than honest with you.....too busy? How long can it take? I think she's being lazy and wants to impose on her family....doesn't she have friends to invite too? If this reunion didn't miraculously appear on the date that she scheduled her party with you wasn't she planning on friends that she was going to invite? and secondly, if it does work out for you you need to find out if the people at the reunion are local or live out of town....you don't want to get excited about bookings then find out they live 200 miles away (unless a catalog show would work for them). And, if they are out of town, is your host going to deliver their products to them or is everyone going to have to pay special shipping?

pamperedlinda said:
Okay, not to rain on your parade here but....I think she's being less than honest with you.....too busy? How long can it take? I think she's being lazy and wants to impose on her family....doesn't she have friends to invite too? If this reunion didn't miraculously appear on the date that she scheduled her party with you wasn't she planning on friends that she was going to invite? and secondly, if it does work out for you you need to find out if the people at the reunion are local or live out of town....you don't want to get excited about bookings then find out they live 200 miles away (unless a catalog show would work for them). And, if they are out of town, is your host going to deliver their products to them or is everyone going to have to pay special shipping?

Good point!! I was so surprised by her response to my phone call looking for her invite list that I obviously didn't think this through. I have a ton of questions for her tomorrow. Thanks ladies!!

Dawn4 said:
Good point!! I was so surprised by her response to my phone call looking for her invite list that I obviously didn't think this through. I have a ton of questions for her tomorrow. Thanks ladies!!
You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't be more supportive and positive for you. Definately write your list of questions before you talk to her about this. Good luck with it and let us know what you decide to do. IMO, if she's too busy to plan it, she doesn't really want it.....

I will definately let you know what I decide. Thanks for your help!!!

Reunion party...In the beginning I figured it could be fun; and then with some of the comments, well I can see both sides of it.

I would still attempt to have it though, you never know what will become of the party. Maybe do what was suggested and have Mystery Hosts/hostesses so that not just one wins and if the lady/girl who's having the party does'nt like it then she should be more helpful with your ideas/suggestions from the start.

Good Luck.

btw: The trifle and balloon ideas sound really good to me too.

Liz

pamperedlinda said:

Linda, you make me feel proud to be blonde!!! Excellent points. She MUST have relatives addresses...how did they know about the reunion?? Does she send them Christmas cards? Offer to send them out for her. And now that I think of it...the end of August...how much time does she need?!?! I don't know if I would even set it up as a booth...free food and/or no obligation to buy. Just thinking this really could be a lot of work on your part with not much return.

Depending on the setting and the size of the reunion it may be that you are only doing the demo for the ladies in the group (and not the husband's/kids or those uninterested)... you may have a lot of walk by business afterward (someone doesn't watch a demo, but spends time talking to you).

I think you need to get your questions answered and then look at your calendar -- if you are light on shows for the month then do it since you may be very pleasantly surprised (it's possible that her family loves PC and is looking for a consultant and you could get in well with them), I wouldn't spend a lot of time and energy on it if you aren't feeling good vibes -- just do what you need to do to prepare, but don't stress about it and realize that the normal host coaching may not be effective.

I have found that some of my most unlikely shows are the largest and some of the ones I knew would be great turn out just mediocre. It's really tough to pre-judge, so unless you have something better to do that day, I'd ask your questions and then just roll with what happens. You could wind up recruiting the whole lot of them!

Thanks Laura. After sleeping on it, I think I'm feeling the same way as you. I was thinking that maybe I would have her give me e-mail addresses (because she doesn't have time to get me an invite list) and I would send out a flyer stating that I would be there. I don't always bring a pocketbook to this type of thing and I want them to be prepared. I also want to find out how much of her group is from out of state. They may not want to spend the extra money on shippig costs. I'm also thinking I'm not going to do a demo. I think I'll set up like a fair booth and they can just talk to me about the products. Maybe I can put something in the flyer I e-mail about getting a prize if you bring me outside orders. My head is going in 15 different directions with this one. I'll keep you all posted on what I do. Maybe we'll branch into a whole new market!!!

Sheesh, I'm not sure what I'd do!!

I'd hate to pass up the opportunity, but I wouldn't want to be an intruder, either.

Let us know what happens!!!

Okay... so I've struggled with this all weekend and I'm still not sure what to do. I thought I would bump it to the top and maybe get some fresh ideas.

I honestly probably would not do it and see if she could reschedule. I have been to one of my family reunions years ago but go to my mil and fil's every year. my mil's is a bunch of old people. me and dh hate going but feel like we have to. we are the only one's out of all of his cousins that go. when i say old people i'm not talking 50-60 that isn't old i'm talking about 80-90 years old. so no one would be interested in PC. At my fil's reunion there is a wide variety of ages (love this one), but they are so busy having a good time no one would be interested in listening. plus alot of them bring their own drinks if you know what I mean. ;) me not included. drinking is bad for you! anyway, sorry to go off topic, that being said I would not to do it. she isn't been very helpful for you about mailing invites, etc. So would people even know you would be there when you show up?

:rolleyes: I think I'm stressing way too much over this. I put a call into her this morning with a bunch of questions I have for her. She hasn't gotten back to me yet. Thanks for all the feedback. I'll keep you posted on my decision.

Warning!I did this exact thing once. The host said it was a family reunion and that lots of people would want to order and that I should set up a table and it would be great!

There were a ton of people there and they looked at me like "what are you doing here?". I got 2 orders but they had no money with them (even with host coaching the host hadn't told people about the PC part of the party) and neither ever paid me. It was a total waste of my time. No orders, no leads. Not good.

I have a SIL who sets up things and has had me and other company's consultants come without having told the guests... like the time it was her turn to host/serve for Bunco and I made up a fabulous flyer for her to send... but she never sent it... grrrr.... As the girls walked in for Bunco she was meeing them and introducing me and I could SEE on their faces they had NO clue that I would be there and most did not come prepared to spend money. I learned my lesson... either I send invites whenver I have a "feeling" about something like this or I don't go... I ended up being her caterer .. yet I got some bookings and it was a less than $300 show... only one of the bookings held and I am VERY leary of any parties that she puts on now. I would be MORE than careful about this, if you decide to go ahead with it, go expecting NOTHING and then be surprised if it turns out better than that! Sorry I can't be more encouraging but "been there, done that" has helped us all learn things.

I'd run very very fast!

If you lose her booking...... oh well, who cares, who's next!!! Concentrate on the next booking that the host will work with you.

If I were at a family reunion I'd want to spend time with FAMILY not a PC person!! JMO

BethCooks4U said:
I did this exact thing once. The host said it was a family reunion and that lots of people would want to order and that I should set up a table and it would be great!

There were a ton of people there and they looked at me like "what are you doing here?". I got 2 orders but they had no money with them (even with host coaching the host hadn't told people about the PC part of the party) and neither ever paid me. It was a total waste of my time. No orders, no leads. Not good.

One of the things I'm going to tell her when we speak is that if she doesn't have time to give me an invite list that at the very least I want e-mail addresses and I'll send a flyer letting them know I'm going to be there. I thought the same thing that happened to you... who brings their checkbook to this kind of thing? I'm also thinking that I want to know the percentage of people that are out-of-towner's. If everyone is from out of town they may not want to pay the extra shipping charge and there is probably no chance of me bookig another show. Plus, what about her friends that she was going to invite to her home??? I'm sure they're not going to be there and if I'm going to do a catalog show with her for them why not just let her take orders at the reunion herself. Aaaaaaagh!!!!! :eek: I think I'm answering all of my own questions here.

Dawn4 said:
............ Aaaaaaagh!!!!! :eek: I think I'm answering all of my own questions here.
Yes you are......;)

Teresa Lynn said:
I'd run very very fast!

If you lose her booking...... oh well, who cares, who's next!!! Concentrate on the next booking that the host will work with you.

AGREED! If she really wants to have a show, she'll do it some other time.

Related to August Party Dilemma: To Reschedule or Join the Family Reunion?

1. Should I reschedule my August party if it falls on the same day as my family reunion?

It ultimately depends on your personal preference and the importance of both events. If your family reunion is a once-in-a-lifetime event, it may be best to reschedule your party to avoid any conflicts. However, if your party is an important part of your business, you may want to consider attending both events or finding a way to incorporate your family into your party.

2. Can I combine my August party with my family reunion?

Yes, you can definitely combine your party with your family reunion. You could consider hosting your party at the same location as your family reunion or incorporating party activities into the reunion festivities. This can be a great way to introduce your family to your Pampered Chef business and also avoid missing out on either event.

3. How can I make my August party more family-friendly?

One way to make your August party more family-friendly is to incorporate activities and games that both adults and children can enjoy. You could also offer a separate area for kids to play while the adults shop and socialize. Additionally, consider offering kid-friendly food options and prizes to keep them engaged throughout the party.

4. What are some tips for managing my time between my party and my family reunion?

First, make a plan and schedule your time wisely. Consider delegating tasks to others or hiring help for your party so that you can spend more time with your family. Also, try to find ways to combine tasks, such as cooking for your party while also preparing food for the family reunion. Above all, remember to prioritize and communicate with your family and guests to ensure a successful and enjoyable experience for everyone.

5. Can I still earn host rewards if I reschedule my August party?

Yes, you can still earn host rewards if you reschedule your party. As long as your party is held within the designated time frame and meets the minimum sales requirement, you will still be eligible for host rewards. However, it is important to communicate with your guests about the rescheduling and make sure they are still able to attend the new date.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefashleigh
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Misty Shehan
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
Replies
Views
pcjulie