• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

APO Shipping for Catalog Shows: Questions Answered

In summary, Dawn recommends that the hostess use the regular shipping rates and have her guests do direct shipping to her. She also recommends that the hostess make sure her guests understand that they cannot order anything from a non-SOFA status resident.
dme.grant
OK, so I am brand spanking new (I haven't even had my first show yet!) and one of my friends from overseas has asked to host a catalog show. Her husband is in the military and they have an APO address (military mailing address), so how does it work with shipping? Are the prices the same? Or would it be better to have everything come to me, then I can mail it on to her? I apologize if this is somewhere in the new consultant kit information, but I haven't received it yet and I'm hoping to get her the information as quickly as possible.

Thanks,
Dawn :chef:

Dawn dont qoute me on this but I believe since they are military they can only have the items shipped to customer so they would have to pay direct shipping. There are rules and regulations for the APO addresses

There are a few overseas Military-wives consultants on here (Sheila? You out there?? :D). They may be able to help you with those questions....or ask your friend. She may know.

Ok, so here's the 411 on APO. Your friend can host a show...using the same catalog and prices. However APO rules state that you can not receive mail for someone else. Only you and your family. So, the $4.50 ship to host option is not availible to those customers and they would each pay direct shipping. When my customers gripe about this I always point out that even our direct costs are not that high. Hope this helps and if you have any other questions just post and I'll try to answer.

Not sure about that post above?? I have actually had 4 shows overseas. One of best girl friends is a military wife with an APO address. I always send her the same books and forms. Her guests pay the regular shipping rate and no tax. It all ships to her. Her show have been all $600 to well over $1000. It all works out the same just takes much longer for it to ship to her. Never had any problems though.

I've been in Japan since Nov '06. I do know consultants who do "ship to host", but it is a violation of the military rules & regulations (like jjaastef said) to receive mail for others through the military mail system. If they get caught, they can be punished by one or more of the following methods: loose their mailbox privilege, receive an ERD (early return of dependents to the states - the military member remains at the duty station but has to move out of housing & into the barracks) -and- (for consultants) loose their base business license.

We are also prohibited from selling to the local nationals, as we do not pay import taxes. Along with violating the "don't accept mail for others" rule, it's considered the Black Market to import goods for the locals & not pay the import taxes.

I would recommend that your hostess have all of her guests do the "direct" shipping rates & make sure that she understands that she can't take orders for non-SOFA status residents in her area without risking getting into trouble with both the military and the local custom's office. ;)

I just want to second everything Shelia said. While in Germany a couple years ago, a consultant from another DS company was investigated by CID. Not only did it get stressful for her and her husband, the attention makes it harder for all the DS consultants who honor the rules.

Seriously, please do not leave it up to your host to decide. It's easy to say 'oh, everyone does it,' but the bottom line is that it is considered criminal by the military authorities.

Sheila said:
I've been in Japan since Nov '06. I do know consultants who do "ship to host", but it is a violation of the military rules & regulations (like jjaastef said) to receive mail for others through the military mail system. If they get caught, they can be punished by one or more of the following methods: loose their mailbox privilege, receive an ERD (early return of dependents to the states - the military member remains at the duty station but has to move out of housing & into the barracks) -and- (for consultants) loose their base business license.

We are also prohibited from selling to the local nationals, as we do not pay import taxes. Along with violating the "don't accept mail for others" rule, it's considered the Black Market to import goods for the locals & not pay the import taxes.

I would recommend that your hostess have all of her guests do the "direct" shipping rates & make sure that she understands that she can't take orders for non-SOFA status residents in her area without risking getting into trouble with both the military and the local custom's office. ;)
WOW I did not realize any of this. I just went by what she said with the no tax and to mail it to her. She has had some pretty big shows too. Yikes :eek:

Well I would def. take Sheila's advice she would know best. Know I am not sure what to do about my Host in the future. :yuck:

legacypc46 said:
I just want to second everything Shelia said. While in Germany a couple years ago, a consultant from another DS company was investigated by CID. Not only did it get stressful for her and her husband, the attention makes it harder for all the DS consultants who honor the rules.

Seriously, please do not leave it up to your host to decide. It's easy to say 'oh, everyone does it,' but the bottom line is that it is considered criminal by the military authorities.

I feel so sick to stomach actually. I just figured she knew... she has been military for forever.

Jennifer,

Don't be hard on yourself or your host. The truth is many military folks know they can't use their APO address for locals, but they don't always realize that receiving items for other military/Dept of Defense (DOD) personnel can get them in trouble too.

When a host receives items for her guests, then she is using her personal APO box as a means to receive goods for distribution. This is why military customers pay direct shipping costs to have their orders shipped individually...but they don't pay tax and most understand once it's explained.

I've known DOD postal clerks to ignore clear violators and I've known of one supervisor who made life hell for a consultant at one base. You just can't predict the reaction. So, if I painted it heavy, it's because I don't feel it worth the risk or fair to those who are obeying the rules. :)

leggy

legacypc46 said:
Jennifer,

Don't be hard on yourself or your host. The truth is many military folks know they can't use their APO address for locals, but they don't always realize that receiving items for other military/Dept of Defense (DOD) personnel can get them in trouble too.

When a host receives items for her guests, then she is using her personal APO box as a means to receive goods for distribution. This is why military customers pay direct shipping costs to have their orders shipped individually...but they don't pay tax and most understand once it's explained.

I've known DOD postal clerks to ignore clear violators and I've known of one supervisor who made life hell for a consultant at one base. You just can't predict the reaction. So, if I painted it heavy, it's because I don't feel it worth the risk or fair to those who are obeying the rules. :)

leggy
Yeah I completely agree. I suppose nobody has given her any trouble since she keeps wanting to have parties. I do know that she always bakes things for those at the post office so maybe that helps. She mentioned wanting to have another party soon. We'll see how that goes...

Wow! I had absolutely no idea it was so particular. And I used to live overseas with an APO address and everything! Of course, I never had a show over there, so I never really thought that much about it. Thank you so much everyone for all of the great information!

Dawn

1. What is APO shipping?

APO stands for Army Post Office, which is a mailing system used by the United States military to send mail to service members stationed overseas.

2. Can I ship Pampered Chef products to an APO address?

Yes, we are proud to offer APO shipping for our catalog shows to support our service members and their families.

3. How do I place a catalog show order to be shipped to an APO address?

To place an order for APO shipping, simply provide the APO address during the ordering process. Our system will automatically recognize it as an APO address and adjust the shipping options accordingly.

4. Are there any restrictions on the types of products that can be shipped to an APO address?

Due to customs regulations, we are unable to ship perishable or liquid items to APO addresses. Additionally, some countries may have restrictions on certain products, so we recommend checking with the local customs office before placing an order.

5. How long does it take for a package to arrive at an APO address?

The delivery time for APO shipments may vary depending on the distance and any potential customs delays. On average, it can take 3-5 weeks for packages to reach their destination. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Mama2bowbaby
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
beckyjsmith
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • byrd1956
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies