• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dell Inspiron Mini 9: Tiny Laptop, Big Potential?

In summary, the conversation is about netbooks, specifically the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Laptop/Netbook. The participants discuss the laptop's small size and whether it can handle P3. One person mentions wanting to purchase one, while another says they are limited in memory and hard drive space and do not have traditional drives. It is suggested that the netbook could handle P3 with XP installed, but it may be difficult to use for other purposes. The conversation also touches on the difference between netbooks and regular laptops, and the preference for a 10 key keypad. Some participants share their positive experiences using a 12" Dell laptop or an ACER laptop for shows.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Anyone have one of these? Apparently they are really small laptops?
Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Laptop / Netbook
Can they handle P3?
I think I want one!!

Re: Netbooks??My husband has one...He likes it. I find it hard to use. They keys are smaller so I have a hard time typing on it.
You are a little limited on memory, harddrive space and you don't have any traditional drives.It can probably handle P3 if you get XP on it. He has Ubuntu on his.

Re: Netbooks??Oh, don't forget, the HD is only about 16GB with XP on it...not room to store too much...

Re: Netbooks??Ok...and in English what does all that mean? LOL
What are "traditional drives?"
Can extra memory be purchased for it?

Re: Netbooks??Janet means that the hard drive is very small, so there's not a lot of room for additional programs and data, like P3. Especially if you have a lot of data in P3 from lots of shows.

Re: Netbooks??So you're saying I couldn't get a netbook to use for my shows? Or could I get more memory for it so i could use it for my shows - i have done over 400 shows so far...

Re: Netbooks??You can get some extra RAM for it, but only up to a point. HD space is very limited and you wouldn't want to lug an extra USB hard drive. It is possible that you could still keep P3 on there and your data. I"ll check sizes of files on mine later today.Just warning you that P3 is about all you'd have on there. If you wanted it for dual purposes, it'd be kind of tough.By "traditional drives", yes, I was referring to a CD rom, DVD, floppy drive. The chassis isn't made to hold those things internally.I've got to run - breakfast and church so I'll be back this evening...

Re: Netbooks??All I have on my current laptop is AOL, PP, ie, and Word...that's all I need for a laptop - everything else is on my desktop -- could a NetBook handle all that (but P3 instead of PP?)

Re: Netbooks??Carolyn...I have a 12" Dell laptop that I take shows...it works fabulously and is very portable. It handles P3 and assorted games.....LOL!
My only complaint...and it is a silly one, is that I prefer a 10 key. I "could" buy one and bring it to shows as well but it really isn't necessary.

Re: Netbooks??Carolyn, it sounds like you are in good hands (all the other posts) which is good because it is all Greek to me.
I have a ACER laptop that I take to my shows, I'm tax-figuring challenged LOL. I love my laptop and hope you enjoy whatever route you take.

PS Good girl for doing your homework before purchasing!!

Re: Netbooks??my laptop finally died this morning it has been giving me a little trouble and this morning when I went to enter my show for the afternoon it wouldn't turn onI'm taking our son's to my show and he & DH are researching new ones now, that is one they were asking me if I wanted

Re: Netbooks??I too have an ACER - It has served me well through 3 years and 700 shows. Not to big - fits in the front pocket of the large PC rolling bag. Great to use in case my home computer fails .

Re: Netbooks??
erinyourpclady said:
Carolyn...I have a 12" Dell laptop that I take shows...it works fabulously and is very portable. It handles P3 and assorted games.....LOL!
My only complaint...and it is a silly one, is that I prefer a 10 key. I "could" buy one and bring it to shows as well but it really isn't necessary.

Your complaint isn't silly. I bought a 17" JUST for the 10 key :) and I am so happy I did. I LOVE IT! It's a little big for shows, but it actually just forced me to downsize the amount of product I take to a reasonable amount. I love that I can set up fully within a 1/2 hour now!! I've NEVER been able to do that b/c too much product took more trips to the car and set up time.

The netbooks are fun, but limited. I may do it for shows eventually too. I love that you can literally "throw" it in your purse. Just make sure it's the right kind. Some do not have enough to run P3 and mostly are for the internet.

Re: Netbooks??I have a 17" with the 10 keypad on it and never use it. DH got the laptop for me - I WANTED a smaller, lighter one - lol. My next one will be as small as I can get. I want to be able to use: P3, word, excel, internet, and email. Oh, and I'd like to be able to have pictures too if possible but I could do that on the desktop... The good think is my current laptop is only one year old so who knows what will be out there when I need another.

Re: Netbooks??I referring to NETBOOKS, not laptops - click on the link in my first post and you'll see what I am talking about.

Re: Netbooks??I have a netbook and I love it!! I have the Asus 10". It meets most of the preferred requirements for P3 I think there are two categories were it exceeds the minimum but doesn't fully meet the preferred requirements.

I have not uploaded P3 yet. Since there isn't a CD drive you have to upload P3 from the web. I will start taking mine to shows this month. I just got it last month.

I use it daily for easy access to email, CS, and facebook. It makes it easier at home and on the run to have access to the net. Once P3 is loaded I will have my contacts with me at all times. My kids are in preschool and have a couple activities a week. Now I can sit at the coffee house and do work when I have a brief moment.

Do your research some have more memory than others. Don't buy for name recognition. I searched for a while and am very happy with my purchase. It does take a little while to get used to the keys, but it isn't too bad. I only have trouble with the right shift key and the sensitivity of the touch pad. I move the curser a lot with my palm!

I did post info about P3 and netbooks before. It has more specifications. Hope that helps you! Good luck. Let me know if there is anything else you need. I am going to upload P3 soon. I will update you afterwards.

Re: Netbooks??OK, P3 can run on 2GB but 10GB is recommended. The Dell only comes with the 16GB max, much of which will be taken up with the operating system. (That is the HD).I think you could do it if you use it for P3 and internet access only. You can double-check the size of your P3 data files to be sure.You'd have to get the higher end of these mini netbooks though if you want to do it.For shows though, I think you will really enjoy having such a small system.

What are the specs of the Dell Inspiron Mini 9?

The Dell Inspiron Mini 9 has a 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor, 1GB of RAM, and a 16GB solid state drive. It also has a 9-inch LCD display and weighs only 2.28 pounds.

Can the storage be expanded on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9?

Yes, the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 has a built-in SD card slot that allows for additional storage space. You can also use external storage devices such as USB drives or external hard drives.

Does the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 come with pre-installed software?

Yes, the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 comes with the Windows XP operating system and some pre-installed software, including Microsoft Works, McAfee Security Center, and Dell's own utilities.

Is the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 suitable for everyday use?

The Dell Inspiron Mini 9 is designed for basic tasks such as web browsing, email, and document editing. It is not suitable for heavy multitasking or running demanding programs.

Can the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 be connected to external devices?

Yes, the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 has several ports for connecting to external devices, including USB ports, an SD card slot, and a VGA output for connecting to a monitor. It also has built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities for wireless connectivity.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• etteluap70PC
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
thebowman
  • Careyann
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Careyann
  • otisbg