• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Comparing Dell & Apple Laptops: Pros & Cons

In summary, it seems that either company's software can be run on the other, but Apple computers tend to run the programs more easily. However, one downside to Apple computers is that they tend to be more expensive.
RossDeb2
Gold Member
I'm trying to decide which company to buy a laptop from, Dell or Apple. Will PP work on either of them? Can you find computer programs to work with Apple as readily as Dell with Microsoft? Does it run the Word program? Yuk...I have no idea. I just want a decent laptop. Does anyone have any opinions on which company might be a better choice? I tend to choose Dell, but only because I am more familiar with the name. My investment agent just recommened Apple so now I am wavering. I had never considered Apple...just like I'm sure some people never consider Pampered Chef until a friend mentions it...something to always consider! Thanks!

I have a dell and i have so many problems but i have had a gateway desktop and never no problems. But when it came time to get me a new laptop since the dell was quitting i went to walmart and bought an acer. check into that brand it is really good for the price of it.

I just bought a HP laptop - love it!My only REQUIREMENT was XP NOT VISTA!!!!

RossDeb2 said:
I'm trying to decide which company to buy a laptop from, Dell or Apple. Will PP work on either of them? Can you find computer programs to work with Apple as readily as Dell with Microsoft? Does it run the Word program? Yuk...I have no idea. I just want a decent laptop. Does anyone have any opinions on which company might be a better choice? I tend to choose Dell, but only because I am more familiar with the name. My investment agent just recommened Apple so now I am wavering. I had never considered Apple...just like I'm sure some people never consider Pampered Chef until a friend mentions it...something to always consider! Thanks!

I use an Apple for everything. However, P3 only has a version for windows! What I had to do is install windows on my mac also, so that I could use the software.

If you're only getting a laptop just so you can run P3, then I would suggest getting a PC and not a Mac. However, if you plan on using the laptop for other things as well, I'd have to recommend the Mac as I feel they are far superior computers. In 6 years, P3 has been the *only* software that I have not been able to run on my Mac. Any other questions about Macs, let me know. I've converted 13 people! :)

I have a Compaq laptop and Love it! I've had it for about 3 years and no trouble ever!

DH used to have a Dell and had a lot of problems with it!

I LOVE my Mac and will never go back to a PC. No problems running windows on it to run P3.

leftymac said:
I use an Apple for everything. However, P3 only has a version for windows! What I had to do is install windows on my mac also, so that I could use the software.

If you're only getting a laptop just so you can run P3, then I would suggest getting a PC and not a Mac. However, if you plan on using the laptop for other things as well, I'd have to recommend the Mac as I feel they are far superior computers. In 6 years, P3 has been the *only* software that I have not been able to run on my Mac. Any other questions about Macs, let me know. I've converted 13 people! :)

I absolutely 100% agree!! I am an Apple user for everything!! I however haven't added the windows to it yet, so I have to use my Mom's Dell! But, my Mom will trade off with me, cause she likes the MacBook better than her Dell. All she does is play Mahjong! LOL!

Also, leftymac, did you do the parallel & stuff to get Windows on your computer, or did you get Leopard with Bootcamp or whatever it's called, lol!!

HP and Compaqs are basically the same thing. Just a different name and different processors. They make great computers and you have no problems finding software. If you have the choice get Windows XP. There will be less tweaking for some software and the computer wont treat you like an Idiot asking did you mean to run this program and so on like vista does at times. While you are shopping look for one with a larger battery, will come in handy. But on the Acer brand, never owned one but my soon to be father-in-law told me he has owned one for SEVERAL years and just keeps upgrading it and has had no problems with it.
Another suggestion, most laptops now come with Truview, Briteview, or something similar, you WANT this. I opted for it and it is great, easier to view screen. I did choose a lighter laptop as opposed to a larger one. I wanted something easy to carry not something that would be a heavy burden. I would also go for a wideview instead of standard. Also depending on where you are buying it from check on extended warranties, if you believe they are a value. My fiance has used hers 3 or 4 times and it has come in handy from , space bar not working, power button failed, power cord adapter in computer came loose, and screen pixels went out, and hinge. Most of hers were from just general wear and tear but they were all repaired free.

OK well there is my 2 cents worth. Good luck on your shopping endeavour

I have a Dell Laptop and love it. I wouldn't buy a computer from another company beside Dell. My previous laptop was a Dell and my past 2 desktop computers were also Dell.

Caroline

finley1991 said:
I LOVE my Mac and will never go back to a PC. No problems running windows on it to run P3.

Amen, sister!

PC For Me 2 Move Out said:
I absolutely 100% agree!! I am an Apple user for everything!! I however haven't added the windows to it yet, so I have to use my Mom's Dell! But, my Mom will trade off with me, cause she likes the MacBook better than her Dell. All she does is play Mahjong! LOL!

Also, leftymac, did you do the parallel & stuff to get Windows on your computer, or did you get Leopard with Bootcamp or whatever it's called, lol!!

I started using Bootcamp, but then found it way too inconvenient. I got a program called VMware Fusion, which costs the same as Parallels but runs better. Parallels runs a bit slow and freezes up the computer sometimes. It's great to be able to do stuff on Mac OSX AND Windows at the same time!

I LOVE my Dell.... I use an Inspiron 700 (compact and lightweight) for my shows and have 3 other Dell computers in the house. Wouldn't consider buying any other brand. :love:

I have Leopard and use Bootcamp. No problems on my end because the only time I EVER use windows is to do P3 so it's not that big of a deal for me.

I have a Toshiba Satellite and love it. I use windows Vista and have had no problems with it either.

I have an HP and love it. :chef:

Now, where'd you get the copy of XP to install on your computer? I need to get that, & don't know where to look. I think I may hit the Apple store tonight, just can't forget my work badge!

Between a Dell and a Mac? DEFINITELY Mac!! I've gone through a few Dells and have had friends go through Dells as well. Their power supplies are very faulty, they also have a tendency to short out on the mother board (I think) causing them to no longer charge the battery and causing a HUGE headache! This happened with both my dad's and my Dell Lattitude, my Inspirion, and everyone else that I've spoken with that has had an INspirion. I will never buy a Dell again.I bought my macbook pro 2 years ago, and I have experienced 2 years of bliss with quick processing, no crashes, no worries of viruses, etc. Now, if we could just get PC to get P3 on the Mac I'd never have to even deal with windows! :p As someone mentioned before, if you plan to use your laptop solely for P3 related things and/or if you like to us P3 a lot ie. for contact management related things you may consider getting some sort of a PC, however if you plan to use it for anything else, you will not regret getting a mac - I promise. Once people are converted to mac they just never go back. :D

Last edited:
Thank you so much Keith! I ordered it right after you told me about the site, & did the expedited shipping, so I should have it by Saturday, & can put in a supply order without having to drive home!! Thanks for helping me out with that!! We have 3 iMacs, & 1 iBook, & 1 MacBook!! I absolutely love it!! I will never go back to a PC! My dad hated the half egg iMac (G4) my Mom has, then last Black Friday, he went & bought the 24" G5 iMac! It's just like my 21" iMac!! Twins!!

leftymac said:
I started using Bootcamp, but then found it way too inconvenient. I got a program called VMware Fusion, which costs the same as Parallels but runs better. Parallels runs a bit slow and freezes up the computer sometimes. It's great to be able to do stuff on Mac OSX AND Windows at the same time!

Ah...VMware...have fun virtualizing! ;)

Thank you so much Keith! I ordered it right after you told me about the site, & did the expedited shipping, so I should have it by Saturday, & can put in a supply order without having to drive home!! Thanks for helping me out with that!! We have 3 iMacs, & 1 iBook, & 1 MacBook!! I absolutely love it!! I will never go back to a PC! My dad hated the half egg iMac (G4) my Mom has, then last Black Friday, he went & bought the 24" G5 iMac! It's just like my 21" iMac!! Twins!!

Awesome -- hope you enjoy it!

Thanks, everyone for all the feedback. What "other things" would I be concerned about doing besides pamp chef. I would like to use the laptop for PP, research, at shows and displays, really just basic stuff. Designing flyers and letters, maybe watching videos...am I missing out on great things that laptops can do?????

RossDeb2 said:
Thanks, everyone for all the feedback. What "other things" would I be concerned about doing besides pamp chef. I would like to use the laptop for PP, research, at shows and displays, really just basic stuff. Designing flyers and letters, maybe watching videos...am I missing out on great things that laptops can do?????

I use my Mac for everything: doing schoolwork (i'm a teacher), surfing the net (yay no viruses nor spyware!), and designing Pampered Chef flyers, etc (iWork is one of the best suites out there -- way better than Word for making attractive documents!).

My point was that if you're just getting a laptop so you can put P3 on it and take it to your shows, then a Mac wouldn't be worth the expense. But if you're gonna use it for P3 *and* all your other computing needs, to me there's just no way to go but Mac.

leftymac said:
I use my Mac for everything: doing schoolwork (i'm a teacher), surfing the net (yay no viruses nor spyware!), and designing Pampered Chef flyers, etc (iWork is one of the best suites out there -- way better than Word for making attractive documents!).

My point was that if you're just getting a laptop so you can put P3 on it and take it to your shows, then a Mac wouldn't be worth the expense. But if you're gonna use it for P3 *and* all your other computing needs, to me there's just no way to go but Mac.

Hey now, Macs CAN get viruses - there are just not that many written...

...and personally I don't think Mac's version of Excel is that powerful.

If you're into graphic design or things along those lines a Mac is more useful...

If you're into more engineering-type stuff and accounting/spreadsheets or more analytical fields, PCs are usually better for you...

It's all in what you want to do...

janetupnorth said:
Hey now, Macs CAN get viruses - there are just not that many written...

...and personally I don't think Mac's version of Excel is that powerful.

If you're into graphic design or things along those lines a Mac is more useful...

If you're into more engineering-type stuff and accounting/spreadsheets or more analytical fields, PCs are usually better for you...

It's all in what you want to do...

Yes, they can, but the operating system is much more secure, stable, and resistant to them. But anyway -- I'm not trying to turn it into a Mac vs. PC debate. You're right -- it's all in what you want to do. For me, Macs are the perfect solution. For someone else, they may not be. I'm a French teacher, so I don't use spreadsheets that much. :p

hmmmm....a french teacher, eh? I'll have to remember that. We are a English speaking family and my two teenagers have been totally educated in a French school( we are fortunate to live in a large french speaking area of Ontario). Sometimes I hear some very interesting phrases from them. Can't always use the internet to translate them properly...I'm so happy that they are Bilingual but it can be a real pain when trying to help them with their homework. Anyway...with a Mac, will my customers still be able to read the newsletters and flyers that I send or will I need a program that will allow them to be readable for PC users??? I see that I really need to do more research before I spend my money....the quest continues!

I have a Dell and Love it.. and it's two years old and never had a problem with it!!!

I Have An Acer Too!!!
chefdoughty said:
I have a dell and i have so many problems but i have had a gateway desktop and never no problems. But when it came time to get me a new laptop since the dell was quitting i went to walmart and bought an acer. check into that brand it is really good for the price of it.
I LOVE my laptop! I JUST got the ACER from Walmart and it was marked down!!! It was a steal!!! I have no problems with it at all. The only thing I wish it had was a longer battery time. Mine is 2 hours. I just need to remember to pack my power cord in case I lose battery power.
I am very happy with it. Check it out!!!

RossDeb2 said:
hmmmm....a french teacher, eh? I'll have to remember that. We are a English speaking family and my two teenagers have been totally educated in a French school( we are fortunate to live in a large french speaking area of Ontario). Sometimes I hear some very interesting phrases from them. Can't always use the internet to translate them properly...I'm so happy that they are Bilingual but it can be a real pain when trying to help them with their homework. Anyway...with a Mac, will my customers still be able to read the newsletters and flyers that I send or will I need a program that will allow them to be readable for PC users??? I see that I really need to do more research before I spend my money....the quest continues!

Well, the great thing with a Mac is that you can easily (in like 2 seconds, with no additional software) turn any document that you create on any program into a .pdf so that anyone on any computer can read it. I create my stuff in Pages (their desktop publishing/word processing program) and then just convert it to a .pdf to send it out.

Here's are some examples:

Attachments

• Real Food Real Fast.pdf
    409.8 KB · Views: 336
  • Chocolate Bliss.pdf
    294.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 4 Friends Consultant Promo.pdf
    779.2 KB · Views: 381
Those .pdf's look great! I have Microsoft Office for my Mac, & I have Excel, & I've created many spreadsheets, that I've yet to have a problem with! I think I may have to get iWork to make some myself. I don't believe I have that program!

janetupnorth said:
I just bought a HP laptop - love it!

My only REQUIREMENT was XP NOT VISTA!!!!

Janet - were you able to find a new HP that comes pre-installed with XP? I thought they switched over to all Vista already.... I am shopping for a new laptop and prefer XP as well.... Dell has XP as a choice but I currently have an HP (and love it) so I want to stick with HP.... don't want to have to install XP over Vista if I can help it...

Those .pdf's look great! I have Microsoft Office for my Mac, & I have Excel, & I've created many spreadsheets, that I've yet to have a problem with! I think I may have to get iWork to make some myself. I don't believe I have that program!

Thanks! It took me like 5 minutes. I just stole the pictures from PC, then made them all pretty with borders and shadows. :)

You can download a free 30 day trial of iWork from Apple.com (I think they still have it as a trial!)

PampChefJoy said:
Janet - were you able to find a new HP that comes pre-installed with XP? I thought they switched over to all Vista already.... I am shopping for a new laptop and prefer XP as well.... Dell has XP as a choice but I currently have an HP (and love it) so I want to stick with HP.... don't want to have to install XP over Vista if I can help it...

Yes, Dell, HP, all the companies still offer XP. You may have to look in the small business section of their website vs. the home section. I have an HP Compaq 6715b.

We buy Dell laptops at work all the time with XP too.

Ah, I see... I wanted an HP HP, not a Compaq HP.....

PampChefJoy said:
Ah, I see... I wanted an HP HP, not a Compaq HP.....
Same company, same assembly line as far as I understand...they are one and the same now...ETA: We've had 3-4 HP Compaq laptops at camp for about 5 years now with great success...my DH has been in the IT field for 20 years and is VERY picky hardware-wise and he has been very happy with them.I also have used an HP Compaq laptop at work that I got at year 4 of use and used it to year 6 AFTER a rough user ahead of me...it help up great...

1. Will PP work on either of them?

Yes, Pampered Chef software can run on both Dell and Apple laptops.

2. Can you find computer programs to work with Apple as readily as Dell with Microsoft?

Yes, there are many programs available for Apple laptops, and they are just as readily available as programs for Dell laptops.

3. Does it run the Word program?

Apple laptops do not use Microsoft Word, but they have their own equivalent program called Pages. Both Dell and Apple laptops have the ability to run Microsoft Word if needed.

4. Does anyone have any opinions on which company might be a better choice?

Both Dell and Apple are reputable companies with their own strengths and weaknesses. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and needs for a laptop. It may be helpful to do more research and read reviews to make a more informed decision.

5. I tend to choose Dell, but only because I am more familiar with the name. My investment agent just recommened Apple so now I am wavering. I had never considered Apple...just like I'm sure some people never consider Pampered Chef until a friend mentions it...something to always consider! Thanks!

Ultimately, the decision between Dell and Apple comes down to personal preference. Both companies have their own loyal customer base and it's important to consider your own needs and what each company offers. It's always good to keep an open mind and explore different options, just like with any product or company. Thank you for considering Pampered Chef as well!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Chef Endora
Replies
Views
cookinmama
  • kcjodih
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies