• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Am I a Bad Hostess? or Do I Have a Not so Good Consultant?

In summary, the consultant just called the host to make sure everything is okay, but the host doesn't know if anybody will be there.
Bren706
Gold Member
Warning, this is a vent thread! I am scheduled to host an At Home America party tonight. I am doing it for my neighbor three doors down. I think the products are okay, but nothing I get really excited over, especially since we are on a tight budget. I just hosted a show for her in May. (had 2 -3 guests only, but placed big orders.) Then she calls me in August to rebook, as she wanted to book a PC show with me.

So, anyhow, at her request, we swapped guest lists about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks ago. (Her PC party is 10/24). And that is the last I have heard from her. I didn't even get a host kit, although she knew I had the new supplemental catalog from the other AHA consultant in the neighborhood, who I am also friends with. (and her recruit). I have heard from a few people on my guest list that won't be able to make it, but I have not made an effort to call others.

I have no idea if she is going to show up at my door this evening or not? And I have been pretty busy to call her, and could care less if the show goes on or not.

Has anyone else experienced another direct sales consultant not doing the host coaching like we do? :( :confused: :yuck: :eek:

I honestly think that some direct sales companies do not have the great training that we have. BUT I am sure that there are plenty of PC consultants that don't do good host coaching either - I know I have slipped on some shows. We all have busy lives and maybe your show slipped between her cracks. She knows you are a consultant and you did a show with her in the past so maybe she feels you didn't need any coaching.

I would call her though and just ask "are you going to be here tonight or did something change?".

Well, the consultant just called me to make sure we are all set for tonight. I told her I wasn't sure if anybody will be there, but we can try for it.

I host ONE show a year for another direct sales company...not so much for the free products, but more to remind myself what it's like on the other side. To keep me knowing what it;s like in the hosts' shoes and remind me how easy it is for a host to let the show slip her mind and why it is so important for the consultant to keep on her.

I just swapped a Lia Sophia consultant shows and we both did really well. I was really worried that no one would show up because I am just a worry wart. I did have a few people come and were excited to come to my PC show (show how much they paid attention to the invite)and I told them no that is in Oct. But they still enjoyed the jewelry and placed an order.

I am swapping with an Arbonne rep....she did a catty show for me this month it was a $250 show. She will be holding my class in oct. I am very anxious to learn how they host coach....I am hoping thiswill be a learning experience for me. So I will be able to host coach my hostess better:)

I know what you mean...I'm having a Close to my Heart scrapbooking party on the 21st. I am the one contacting the consultant for information. I know now how our hosts feel. Although we have 8-10 or however many shows on our calendar and it is no problem for us, sometimes it is our host's first show or they don't do many. They just want confirmation that everything is okay and they are doing what they need to be doing.

I needed reminding of that myself :D!

I have never gotten any host coaching from any other ds company. Apparently we are the only ones to do that (when we do).

I am hosting a tupperware consultant that I met at a event on 10/20. I hope she swaps with me, as my director said it would only be fair. However, she hasnt mentioned hosting with me.

How do I approach her about it?

vwpamperedchef said:
I am hosting a tupperware consultant that I met at a event on 10/20. I hope she swaps with me, as my director said it would only be fair. However, she hasnt mentioned hosting with me.

Just ask her to do it!

Chef Kearns said:
I know what you mean...I'm having a Close to my Heart scrapbooking party on the 21st. I am the one contacting the consultant for information. I know now how our hosts feel. Although we have 8-10 or however many shows on our calendar and it is no problem for us, sometimes it is our host's first show or they don't do many. They just want confirmation that everything is okay and they are doing what they need to be doing.

I needed reminding of that myself :D!
Me too with CTMH, my consultant didn't give me any coaching or any host packet so to speak just 1 catalog and nothing else!
Then the day of the party (I had a sub for my consultant who was sick) leaves without going over at what level I am at and explains NOTHING to me). I had to contact my original consultant to close with this other gal! Talk about lame!
I am having a Passion Party next month, so will see how that goes? She has given me a host packet at least!

vwpamperedchef said:

My policy is to not swap shows. I host the shows that I am interested in, and want to host. I don't mind if someone asks me, but I don't think I should be expected to host a show just because they had one with me. Last year, I had an Usborne Books show - because I really wanted to get books for my son and others for Christmas, but I didn't expect that consultant to have a party for me. I have shows all the time with people who are consultants for other DS companies.....but don't do shows for them. I would ask her, just because it's good policy to offer a show to everyone, but I wouldn't do it with an attitude of "It would only be fair."

I am also setting a new policy to not swap shows. If I want to do a show I will do one with no expectation of getting something in return, and I will no longer feel pressured to return favors. I did one last week for a neighbor and she sent my invites out with less than a week's notice for the guests. Hardly anyone came (4, and I had to beg) and no one placed an order at the show. Now I did her show, better attendance and it is currently at $350 with 4 more definite orders coming in. I think also other companies may have different expectations for "success"--I personally would be disappointed with a turnout of 4, and horrified if no one ordered. But that's just me...

If I were you I would call your rep and tell her you need to speak with her before your show to go over some things. You dont' need to tie up your time if it is going to cancel.

I started a no swap policy myself. I had one (kinda), but made an exception for a Premiere Jewelry lady. After that debacle, I am deadset against party swaps. Host for another if you like the product, but don't expect one.

I had an Arbonne lady that wanted to do a PC show, but wouldn't commit unless I told her I would do one for her. She kept saying how her recruiter told her not to do other parties unless she got one in return. So you know what...she didn't get a PC party from me. She may have found another consultant to swap with her, but it wasn't me!

I let them know that I don't have good parties. It is true that I had a circle of friends that didn't care for the at home shopping. Now that i have moved I am trying a scrapbook party with CM and CTMH. Each with my moms groups as activities. Other than that I probably won't do them because I am not good at getting people to come. However, the CM consultant is very good and she gave me a hostess packet that is close to what I give my hostesses. She has a bingo and lots of incentives. I keep telling her how great she is because I had 3 other CM consultants back home who did SQUAT!

I don't swap parties because they always turn out to be a disaster for me. I host a show of my own twice each year in May for HWC and an open house in December. I always have a great turnout and high sales. I've hosted 4 other parties... Southern Living at Home, liasophia, another jewelry (start-up which failed) and Princess House. SLAH I begged and got 3 people. Same with liasophia and the other jewelry. PH... no one came and I got chewed a new one from the rep because she had sent 30 invites and no one came. It was a horrible experience. (Of course I wanted to tell her she should be selling something people would WANT but I didn't).

Plus, in all honesty, between my show schedule and other personal commitments, I don't want to host shows. I'd rather DO a show if I have a free night or just take the evening for myself.

My LS rep friend is having a PC show at the end of October... she asked me for it, I didn't ask her. So we will see. Last November, she and I and an Arbonne rep did a holiday open house. Arbonne sold one gift basket (to the liasophia rep), liasophia sold $100 to her mom and I sold over $700 to the guests who came. Go figure!

I think I'm past it now because most reps know I won't swap so they don't even bother asking me! :D

I don't trade shows, either. I had a really bad experience with a dishonest rep who ran off with my friends' money. (You can read all about it here.) Actually, because of the whole situation, I'm not "allowed" (by DH) to purchase items from the company the bad consultant was affiliated with.

WOW Ann! My 3rd show with PC (back when I had guests pay the host and she pay me) was a $700 show. The host's check bounced and she used the money to pay her rent. I decided to call the guests to alert them to what happened but she had already called them and told them I had stolen their money. Nice, eh? AND she was a friend of me. WAS being the key word there. People can be amazing sometimes!

Related to Am I a Bad Hostess? or Do I Have a Not so Good Consultant?

1. Am I a bad hostess if I don't have a big turnout for my Pampered Chef party?

No, a low turnout for your party does not make you a bad hostess. There could be many reasons why people were unable to attend, and it is not a reflection of your hosting skills. Focus on the guests who are able to come and create a fun and engaging atmosphere for them.

2. Is it my fault if my guests don't purchase anything at the party?

No, it is not your fault. While a hostess can certainly help promote and encourage sales at a party, ultimately it is up to each guest to decide if they want to make a purchase. As long as you have created a welcoming and enjoyable atmosphere, you are not to blame for any lack of sales.

3. How can I make sure my consultant is doing a good job at my party?

First, communicate with your consultant before the party and let them know your expectations and any specific requests you have. During the party, pay attention to how they interact with guests and if they are actively promoting and demonstrating products. After the party, you can also provide feedback to your consultant about your experience.

4. What should I do if I am not satisfied with my consultant's performance?

If you are not satisfied with your consultant's performance, it is important to communicate your concerns directly with them. Give them specific feedback about what you feel they could improve on and work together to find a solution. If the issue cannot be resolved, you can also reach out to their manager or customer service for further assistance.

5. Is it rude to not book another party with my consultant?

No, it is not rude to not book another party with your consultant. While consultants do appreciate future bookings, it is ultimately up to you as the hostess to decide if you want to have another party. If you do not wish to book another party, you can still show your appreciation by providing positive feedback and referrals to friends and family.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered.chris
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pampered.chris
  • Alicia Messenger
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies