1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: 9oz cake mix idea: Lemon Cake/Carrot Cups

1. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

I am not sure if this has been mentioned on the many threads about using the 9 oz cake mix for the Mock Lemon Mer Cake...

I don't have my SB with me, but I am thinking the Carrot Cups used a 9 oz box too. If this is so, then I am going to split the 18 oz box and use half for the Mock Lemon Cake and half for the Carrot Cups! Can anyone verify that they both use a 9oz box of yellow cake mix?

(Originally, I was planning on just doubling the recipe so I could use the 18 oz box and make the 2nd torte and just freeze it for later. But, I don't have room right now in the freezer. )

See, this is what I sit and think about at work!! ;)

Jul 29, 2009
  2. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

Yes, they do both call for the 9 oz cake mix... Great idea to make both! I'll be the carrot cakes would freeze well and not take up too much room.... not sure about the filling though, might want to put them on just before serving rather than freeze it...

Jul 29, 2009
  3. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

The Gooey Chocolate Mini Cakes in the SBRC also call for a Jiffy-size cake mix, but a chocolate one.

Jul 29, 2009
  4. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

Hmmm, there's an interesting side-job idea!

I could buy Jiffy cake mixes by the case, and re-sell them!:D:D:D

JUST KIDDING!

But - I guess if a cluster wanted to go in on a case, I could look into buying a case at Meijers and shipping it to someone. (for cost - not for profit!)

Jul 29, 2009
  5. chefann

Meijer has online shopping. A cluster could easily order a case online. Amazon even has online groceries.

Here's the Amazon page with Jiffy mixes.
    And, shoot. Meijer doesn't have Jiffy mixes online.
    Jiffy Mix itself does have a product locator, though One can search for nearby stores that carry a specific product.

Jul 29, 2009
  6. chezshelly

chezshelly Advanced Member Gold Member

The filling for the carrot cakes gets too thick to work with if you make it ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze it. The cakes would be fine to freeze I think.

Jul 29, 2009
  7. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

Darn it. 215 miles to the closest store (NC)that carries the chocolate cake mix. White cake mix I'd have to go to Cincinnati for (360 miles). The local Publix appears to carry the yellow cake mix though.

Jul 29, 2009
  8. chefann

You might consider ordering a case of the chocolate from Amazon with your clustermates. If you plan to make the cakes at all your shows in a given month, then that's 4-6 used right there. :) And then if all your customers request that the local groceries stock them, the stores just might start!

Jul 29, 2009
  9. Gloria&Emily

Gloria&Emily Novice Member Gold Member

:chef: ChefAnn, Thank you for sharing these tools! I just found the Jiffy mixes at a SuperK near me. I never would have found it with the Jiffy product locator! :D Thank you Thank you Thank you

Jul 29, 2009
  10. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

Sometimes I think you can also find them at dollar stores.

Jul 29, 2009
  11. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

Also - if you have a local store that carries one type of Jiffy Mix - even if it's just Jiffy Baking Mix, then they most likely have access to ordering the other mixes. I know that most grocery stores in my area, if asked, will do special orders if you order a case.

Jul 29, 2009
Have something to add?