• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director You Have Got to See This Recipe Book!

In summary, the magazine is called the "Ultimate Slow Cooker" and contains 158 recipes. The test kitchen says that microwaves do not always deplete all the nutrients from food, but that thermometers are necessary to ensure safe cooking.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
:chef:I bought a magazine at the grocery store the other day, it's from Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications and is called the Ultimate Slow Cooker. You have got to see it! It is loaded with some fabulous recipes that I just know could be adapted to the Deep Covered Baker. I'm especially interested in the section called "Shred it to Pieces" starting on page 20 - the pork recipes really sound delicious. There's another great section called "Feed six for $10" and some yummy sounding breakfast recipes too....the entire book is good. There are 158 recipes and lots of pictures.

Ya'll need to get to the store and get one of these - it's 9.95 and you can write it off as a business expense. I already emailed the Test Kitchen and told them to look into it. I'm planning to play with some of the recipes next week in the DCB and see how they turn out.

Wouldn't it be great if the test kitchens came out with a cookbook featuring 'slow-cooked' meals fast from the microwave. Every kitchen should have a DCB!

I agree Kristin. Do you all ever have someone at a show who poo-poo's microwave cooking? I don't know what to say when they start talking about how bad a microwave is for your food b/c it cooks away all the nutrients....IMO anytime you cook your food to death it takes away the nutrients (that's what I usually say). If you use the microwave correctly when cooking and/or steam veggies in the microwave and they are still crisp - does it still remove the nutrients? What do you all think?

pamperedlinda said:
Do you all ever have someone at a show who poo-poo's microwave cooking?

YES! That happens to me all the time! What I do is mention that microwave cooking has come a long way... we're not cooking the way our mom's did in the 70s... and the key to cooking in the micro successfully is to have the proper equipment... such as the DCB, Rice Cooker and Micro-Cookers... then I wow them with the fajitas and they are instantly converted!

finley1991 said:
YES! That happens to me all the time! What I do is mention that microwave cooking has come a long way... we're not cooking the way our mom's did in the 70s... and the key to cooking in the micro successfully is to have the proper equipment... such as the DCB, Rice Cooker and Micro-Cookers... then I wow them with the fajitas and they are instantly converted!

I agree. When I tried chicken in my first microwave (in the early 80's) it tasted like rubber - and I even took a class on using the microwave.

The technology has improved so much that now I often cook it in my microwave and it tastes great (especially if it was also in a stone).

Thanks ya'll. I understand about the taste and cooking things in the right temps and cookware - but do any of you know about the specifics that microwaves deplete all of the nutrients form your food? I say what I say about not cooking your food too muchm but twice I've gotten someone argumentative with me that microwaves are demons.....just haven't had the time or desire to do research on it.

Basically I think what the problem is (and this is indeed a problem with cooking in a microwave) is that it is radiated heat... it's kind of like *fake* heat. What that means is that it doesn't always heat up enough to kill bacteria. That's why we need to use a thermometer to check chicken and such when we cook in the microwave. I was really opposed to cooking in the micro when PC first came out with these recipes and am remaining open-minded knowing HO would never give us anything that would put our businesses in jeopardy. The one thing I will NEVER cook in the microwave are eggs. I know people do it all the time (and a lot of breakfast places do too) but it's not for me. I don't mess with eggs.With that, microwave have come a long way and the improved technology makes cooking in them USING THE PROPER PRODUCTS make cooking in them successful. That is the point that I stress... they must be using the proper products... they just can't use anything they have and get the same successful results.

I heard back from the test kitchen:

Hi Linda!
Thank you for contacting The Pampered Chef! Thanks so much for your suggestion. I think our TK actually has a subscription to Better Homes and Gardens. At any given time, there are magazines floating all over. We need to keep up with the trends and try to keep on top of what's new and what's out there. The deep covered baker is such a versatile vessel that it makes meal possibilities almost endless. I think those slow cooker recipes could be easily adapted to the DCB but you would have to do them in the oven, not the microwave. To use the DCB as a "slowcooker" you actually need to use a slow roasting oven technique. Basically, you would put your meat, veggies, broth whatever in the baker then place it in a low oven (300 to 325 depending on what it is) for several hours or all day. This will get the same effect as a slowcooker. The advantage to slowcookers is that you don't have to turn your oven on. You don't have this same option with the DCB. The advantage to using the DCB is that you can elegantly serve in it as well!

As far as a rule of thumb for cook times, think of it this way. There is no perfect cook "time" for a slow cooked meat or anything for that matter, no matter what vessel you are using (DCB or a slow cooker). There are only approximate time ranges and doneness qualifiers. Slow cooked and braised meats are done simply when they're tender! They should be able to slide right off the meat fork and melt in your mouth! Another rule of thumb (mind you these are my own personal rules. Many chef's would concur though. Trust me) There are certain meats that really have no business being in a slow cooker. I know this might sound pompous but the more expensive and leaner cuts of meats (boneless chicken breast, pork tenderloin, beef tenderloin, sirloin, pork chops, any type of seafood or fish etc) have no place in a slow cooker. These are better grilled, sautéed or roasted. The types of meats that you want in a slow cooker are anything referred to as "stew meat", almost anything on a bone like: lamb/beef shanks, oxtails, bone-in pork shoulder, RIBS, bone-in chicken thighs or legs. All of these are usually less expensive cuts of meat but when cooked correctly are FABULOUS!! It's not to say that putting a pork tenderloin in a slow-cooker doesn't work but consider cooking it for hours and having it be chewy or just grilling it and cooking it just till cooked through (20 minutes at the most) and having it be succulent and juicy! Fine dining chef's have made outrageous profits on taking cheap cuts of meat and making them delicious because they know how to cook them. I hope this info helps. Thanks so much for your email!

Please feel free to contact us if you have any more questions.

I'm guessing that Damien replied to your email and I agree with him 100%. A pork tenderloin has no business in a crock pot.

you are right Deb! I didn't want to post the part of the email with the name and contact info.....however, it is good to have ;)

I'm still thinking that some of these recipes could go into the microwave though.

1. What type of recipes are included in "You Have Got to See This Recipe Book!"?

The recipe book includes a variety of recipes ranging from appetizers and main dishes to desserts and drinks. There are also recipes for special dietary needs such as gluten-free, vegetarian, and low carb options.

2. Are the recipes easy to follow for someone with limited cooking experience?

Yes, the recipes in this book are designed to be easy to follow for all levels of cooking experience. Each recipe includes step-by-step instructions and helpful tips to ensure success in the kitchen.

3. Can I purchase "You Have Got to See This Recipe Book!" as a gift?

Absolutely! The recipe book makes a great gift for any occasion. You can purchase it online or through a Pampered Chef consultant.

4. Are the ingredients in the recipes easy to find at the grocery store?

Yes, the majority of the ingredients in the recipes can be found at your local grocery store. There may be a few specialty ingredients for some recipes, but they can also be easily found at most supermarkets.

5. Are there any pictures included in the recipe book?

Yes, the recipe book includes full-color photos for each recipe. This not only makes it easier to follow along, but it also allows you to see what the finished dish should look like.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • pamperedlinda
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefkathy