• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ya'll Have Got to Get This Recipe Book!

In summary, a conversation about a magazine called "Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications: Ultimate Slow Cooker" was discussed. The magazine contains 158 recipes and various sections such as "Shred it to Pieces" and "Feed six for $10." The conversation also mentioned how the recipes could be adapted for the Deep Covered Baker and the versatility of the vessel. The Test Kitchen was also contacted for their thoughts on the magazine and they suggested using the DCB as a "slow cooker" in the oven. They also shared their personal rules for cooking meats in a slow cooker and the potential for different cuts of meat. Overall, the conversation was positive and everyone expressed interest in trying out the recipes.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I bought a magazine at the grocery store the other day, it's from Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications and is called the Ultimate Slow Cooker. You have got to see it! It is loaded with some fabulous recipes that I just know could be adapted to the Deep Covered Baker. I'm especially interested in the section called "Shred it to Pieces" starting on page 20 - the pork recipes really sound delicious. There's another great section called "Feed six for $10" and some yummy sounding breakfast recipes too....the entire book is good. There are 158 recipes and lots of pictures.

Ya'll need to get to the store and get one of these - it's 9.95 and you can write it off as a business expense. I already emailed the Test Kitchen and told them to look into it. I'm planning to play with some of the recipes next week in the DCB and see how they turn out.

Thanks for the head up Linda - do keep us posted! I would love more recipes for the DCB!!!

Wow! This sounds like a great cookbook!

mmm that bbq and slaw sandwich on the cover looks great!

Thanks for posting that Janet. It's a great magazine. I hope HO is already onto something like this and we'll see a new cookbook for next season.

Dang, I went to three stores tonight and none of them carried this!

I heard back from the test kitchen:

Hi Linda!
Thank you for contacting The Pampered Chef! Thanks so much for your suggestion. I think our TK actually has a subscription to Better Homes and Gardens. At any given time, there are magazines floating all over. We need to keep up with the trends and try to keep on top of what's new and what's out there. The deep covered baker is such a versatile vessel that it makes meal possibilities almost endless. I think those slow cooker recipes could be easily adapted to the DCB but you would have to do them in the oven, not the microwave. To use the DCB as a "slowcooker" you actually need to use a slow roasting oven technique. Basically, you would put your meat, veggies, broth whatever in the baker then place it in a low oven (300 to 325 depending on what it is) for several hours or all day. This will get the same effect as a slowcooker. The advantage to slowcookers is that you don't have to turn your oven on. You don't have this same option with the DCB. The advantage to using the DCB is that you can elegantly serve in it as well!

As far as a rule of thumb for cook times, think of it this way. There is no perfect cook "time" for a slow cooked meat or anything for that matter, no matter what vessel you are using (DCB or a slow cooker). There are only approximate time ranges and doneness qualifiers. Slow cooked and braised meats are done simply when they're tender! They should be able to slide right off the meat fork and melt in your mouth! Another rule of thumb (mind you these are my own personal rules. Many chef's would concur though. Trust me) There are certain meats that really have no business being in a slow cooker. I know this might sound pompous but the more expensive and leaner cuts of meats (boneless chicken breast, pork tenderloin, beef tenderloin, sirloin, pork chops, any type of seafood or fish etc) have no place in a slow cooker. These are better grilled, sautéed or roasted. The types of meats that you want in a slow cooker are anything referred to as "stew meat", almost anything on a bone like: lamb/beef shanks, oxtails, bone-in pork shoulder, RIBS, bone-in chicken thighs or legs. All of these are usually less expensive cuts of meat but when cooked correctly are FABULOUS!! It's not to say that putting a pork tenderloin in a slow-cooker doesn't work but consider cooking it for hours and having it be chewy or just grilling it and cooking it just till cooked through (20 minutes at the most) and having it be succulent and juicy! Fine dining chef's have made outrageous profits on taking cheap cuts of meat and making them delicious because they know how to cook them. I hope this info helps. Thanks so much for your email!

Please feel free to contact us if you have any more questions.

Wow Linda, that was a great response from the Test Kitchen! I really enjoyed reading it - so thanks for posting it!

Whoever it was that sent it to you sounds like someone who would be a lot of fun to hang out with!

I agree Becky! and, I'd let him cook for me too!

ChefBeckyD said:
Wow Linda, that was a great response from the Test Kitchen! I really enjoyed reading it - so thanks for posting it!

Whoever it was that sent it to you sounds like someone who would be a lot of fun to hang out with!

He is a lot of fun to hang out with! :)

What recipes are included in "Ya'll Have Got to Get This Recipe Book!"?

The recipe book includes a variety of dishes, including main courses, sides, desserts, and drinks. Some popular recipes include our famous chicken parmesan, cheesy garlic bread, and chocolate fudge brownies.

Are the recipes in "Ya'll Have Got to Get This Recipe Book!" easy to follow?

Yes, all of the recipes in this book are designed to be easy to follow, even for beginner cooks. Each recipe includes step-by-step instructions and a list of required ingredients. We also include helpful tips and tricks to make cooking even easier.

Are the ingredients for the recipes in "Ya'll Have Got to Get This Recipe Book!" easy to find?

Most of the ingredients for our recipes can be found at your local grocery store. We strive to use common ingredients that are easy to find and affordable. However, for some specialty ingredients, we provide suggestions for substitutions.

Can I adjust the serving sizes for the recipes in "Ya'll Have Got to Get This Recipe Book!"?

Yes, each recipe includes the serving size and can easily be adjusted for larger or smaller portions. We also provide tips for storing and reheating leftovers.

Is "Ya'll Have Got to Get This Recipe Book!" suitable for special diets?

While not all of the recipes in this book are specifically designed for special diets, we include a variety of options that can be easily modified. We also provide tips for making substitutions or adjustments to accommodate dietary restrictions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • pamperedlinda
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
nldavis321
  • MaggieChef13