• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

One of My Weaknesses Is Cookies, Especially Christmas Cookies

So I am thinking its just a matter of where you get them.I highly recommend getting a copy of the Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookies magazine this year. There are some great-tasting cookies in there, perfect for offering tips or exchanging gifts at your shows. Some variations on brownies and baklava sound particularly delicious, and there are even some spicy cookies to tempt you. I've seen this issue at checkout aisle magazine racks as well as in the magazine area, both at grocery stores and mass-marketers. I think it would be a great idea to try freezing some of the cookies to have on hand for the holidays. I'm glad to hear that the magazine changes up its content each year, because I always
chefann
Gold Member
One of my weaknesses is cookies, especially Christmas cookies (although ANY cookie can be a Christmas cookie, IMO). I picked up this year's Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookies magazine this morning. YUM!!

There are some really tasty-sounding treats in there. I highly recommend picking up a copy if you want to offer cookie tips at your shows, or even cookie exchange shows.

One section has salty and sweet cookies, made with salted nuts or other goodies. And there are variations on brownies and baklava that sound really good, too. And some spicy cookies: spicy shortbread and peppered brownies. There are even some beverage recipes that would be fun for shows.

If you're looking for it, I've seen this issue in checkout aisle magazine racks, as well as in the magazine area, both at grocery stores and mass-marketers (I got mine at Target).

Re: Cookies!I love cookies, too. Every Christmas, I make a different kind of cookie every day from the 1st to the 24th. YUM!

(although by then, I am admittedly a little sick of cookies. Good thing I have a whole year to recover before I start over again.)

Re: Cookies!I love that magazine. I will have to get the new one this week.
A cookie a day! That's a great idea! I might have to try that. I could just freeze most of each batch to save for Christmas. Lately I start out with intentions of making all sorts of great cookies for the holidays and then when it gets time to bake I am too tired and have too many other things to do. Last year I just ended up making several different kinds of cake mix cookies. I felt guilty because I am the one around here that is known for baking all the time. Pacing myself would be the way to go. Of course with the gang around here, I don't know how many I would have left for the holidays. I guess I will have to use my hiding place in the freezer--behind the frozen veggies!

Re: Cookies!I love this magazine!!!
I get it every single year, but haven't gotten this year's yet, so I will have to start searching for it.
I am a cookie freak, a cookie-a-holic. I get cookie cakes for my birthday, b/c I'm not a cake person at all.
I usually get together with my 2 SIL's two Saturdays before Christmas and we spend all day making cookies and other treats. I can't wait to get the mag and make my list of ones to try!!!

Re: Cookies!
Jessamary said:
I love cookies, too. Every Christmas, I make a different kind of cookie every day from the 1st to the 24th. YUM!

(although by then, I am admittedly a little sick of cookies. Good thing I have a whole year to recover before I start over again.)

What a great idea! Do you freeze any of them, or what? Do you give them away as gifts? Every year I'm known as the cookie and treats person at Christmas time, and I was just wondering how you went about this!:confused:

chefann said:
One of my weaknesses is cookies, especially Christmas cookies (although ANY cookie can be a Christmas cookie, IMO). I picked up this year's Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookies magazine this morning. YUM!!

There are some really tasty-sounding treats in there. I highly recommend picking up a copy if you want to offer cookie tips at your shows, or even cookie exchange shows.

One section has salty and sweet cookies, made with salted nuts or other goodies. And there are variations on brownies and baklava that sound really good, too. And some spicy cookies: spicy shortbread and peppered brownies. There are even some beverage recipes that would be fun for shows.

If you're looking for it, I've seen this issue in checkout aisle magazine racks, as well as in the magazine area, both at grocery stores and mass-marketers (I got mine at Target).

pampcheflisa said:
I love this magazine!!!
I get it every single year, but haven't gotten this year's yet, so I will have to start searching for it.
I am a cookie freak, a cookie-a-holic. I get cookie cakes for my birthday, b/c I'm not a cake person at all.
I usually get together with my 2 SIL's two Saturdays before Christmas and we spend all day making cookies and other treats. I can't wait to get the mag and make my list of ones to try!!!

So ladies, I got this mag last year..... I used it for a lot of the cookies that I made. I was wondering if they change it up pretty good every year, or if it repeats a lot of last years cookies? I also got the one from Taste of Home last year, that was all about cookies and it was fabulous too. So I just want to know if these mags repeat a lot or is it worth it to go get the newest additons?! TIA!

Re: Cookies!There are a lot of new recipes. Last year there were a few that were repeats, but identified as repeats from many years ago. They appear to be all new this year.Some that I can't wait to try are:
Chocolate-Chipotle Brownies
Chocolate-Orange Hazelnut Baklava
Espresso-Nut Drop Cookies
Orange-Iced Oatmeal Cookies
Peanut Butter and Banana Drops
Cocoa-Coffee Crinkles
Lemon-Lime Crinkles
Pepper Jelly and Cornmeal Cups
Short and Spicy Wedges (spiced shortbread)
Sweet Cherry Biscotti

Re: Cookies!One of my favorite cookies is from the issue of this mag from several years ago: Triple Ginger Cookies. It has ground, candied and fresh ginger in it. Yum!! I should go find that issue.

chefann said:
There are a lot of new recipes. Last year there were a few that were repeats, but identified as repeats from many years ago. They appear to be all new this year.

Some that I can't wait to try are:
Chocolate-Chipotle Brownies
Chocolate-Orange Hazelnut Baklava
Espresso-Nut Drop Cookies
Orange-Iced Oatmeal Cookies
Peanut Butter and Banana Drops
Cocoa-Coffee Crinkles
Lemon-Lime Crinkles
Pepper Jelly and Cornmeal Cups
Short and Spicy Wedges (spiced shortbread)
Sweet Cherry Biscotti

I knew you'd be the first to respond!;) Thanks Ann! I will have to buy it at the store later today! Have you checked out the Taste of Home one in the past?

Re: Cookies!I've seen it on the shelf, but I haven't had good luck with reader-contributed recipes like those featured in TOH. I find that unless the editor is really on the ball, there are too many things that aren't specified (1 bag of coconut instead of 1 7 oz. bag coconut, for example).

chefann said:
I've seen it on the shelf, but I haven't had good luck with reader-contributed recipes like those featured in TOH. I find that unless the editor is really on the ball, there are too many things that aren't specified (1 bag of coconut instead of 1 7 oz. bag coconut, for example).
Yeah, I see your point! I've been there before, thinking what the heck? How much!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: LOL~!:D

chefann said:
One of my favorite cookies is from the issue of this mag from several years ago: Triple Ginger Cookies. It has ground, candied and fresh ginger in it. Yum!! I should go find that issue.

You most certainly should, young lady. Go! Now! Find that recipe!

I will be collecting and culling recipes for the next couple of weeks, then start baking, giving, and serving them through the new year. I have a friend who loves ginger. I could make her a batch all for her little old self. (She's the one going through a second round of chemo. The prognosis is good, but she sometimes has tummy issues. Ginger cookies would be great.)

Re: Cookies!I like your new pic, Cathy! :)

Re: Cookies!Crud. I can't find the issue with the ginger cookies. Sorry, Rae.

Re: Cookies!Drat! I guess I'll just have to get off my own sizable tush and search for another ginger cookie recipe.

chefann said:
I like your new pic, Cathy! :)

Thanks, as I just got done telling Steph, I don't love it because, quite frankly, I don't like any pic of me now-a-days! LOL!:D But I sent some current pics of my family and a few of myself to my sister last week (they are in my family album in my profile on this board, if anyone wants to see my family!) She talked me into making it my profile picture on my "myspace" page. So I did and I've gotten some great replies from my friends so I decided, what the heck, why not here too! LOL!
Thanks for noticing! :)

Re: Cookies!Rae,I found this one on the Better Homes and Gardens site, but it's not the one I remember. That one didn't have molasses. But these sound good.The Ultimate Ginger Cookies
Prep: 20 min.
Bake: 10 min.

Ingredients * 3/4 cup butter, softened
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/4 cup mild-flavored molasses
* 1 egg
* 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 2 teaspoons ground ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 2.7-ounce jar crystallized ginger, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
* 4 teaspoons grated fresh gingerDirections1. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg.2. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, ground ginger, and salt. Beat as much of the flour mixture into the butter mixture as you can with the mixer; stir in any remaining flour mixture. Stir in crystallized ginger and fresh ginger. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until easy to handle. (Or, chill up to 24 hours. If dough becomes too stiff, let stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before using.)3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls, 2 inches apart, on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until browned and set. Cool on wire racks. Store in airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 month. Makes about 60 cookies.Dietary exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate.
Nutrition Facts * Calories 60,
* Total Fat (g) 3,
* Saturated Fat (g) 2,
* Cholesterol (mg) 10,
* Sodium (mg) 89,
* Carbohydrate (g) 9,
* Fiber (g) 0,
* Protein (g) 1,
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Re: Cookies!Here is a recipe I found for Triple the Ginger cookies:
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
3/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, and salt; stir into the molasses mixture using a wooden spoon. Mix in the fresh and crystallized gingers. Cover, and refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Shape dough into 1 inch balls, and place about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.

I found this online, don't know if it is the one you were talking about but it sounds like it. Hope this helps.

MissChef said:
What a great idea! Do you freeze any of them, or what? Do you give them away as gifts? Every year I'm known as the cookie and treats person at Christmas time, and I was just wondering how you went about this!:confused:

Well, I always intend on freezing them, but sadly, some never make it to the freezer. My husband says they look so sad and lonely on the cooling rack, he needs to comfort them with a big glass of milk. :)

Usually in November, I look for my recipes. I choose all different kinds. I always include some of my favorites (and family favorites) - like Greek Christmas cookies and clove cookies, but I try to branch out and try more difficult stuff and kinds I've never made before.

I send some for gifts to neighbors, the pastor, include in gifts for the teachers. But, for the most part, it's for our family -- we always get together at my dad and step-mom's where there are 25+ people. There are rarely any to take back home. :)

Re: Cookies!Thanks, guys! In the interest of friendship, I believe I will make test batches of both recipes just to make sure I'm giving her the best ones. Oh, what I go through for my friends. LOL!

Re: Cookies!Rae, the two we posted are really the same recipe. No need to put yourself through the trouble of making 2 batches.unless you really want to...

Re: Cookies!Thanks, Ann. I hadn't compared them yet. I suppose that means just one "practice" batch to make sure they're worthy of my friend.

Re: Cookies!OK- I found the ginger cookie recipe I mentioned above. It's not called "triple ginger", that's why I couldn't find it online. Candied Ginger Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
granulated sugarBeat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in 3/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda, ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat or stir in flour and crystallized ginger. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle. Heat oven to 375˚F. Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls.; roll in granulated sugar. Place balls 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks; cool. Makes 48.

1. How did you come up with the idea for "One of My Weaknesses Is Cookies, Especially Christmas Cookies"?

The idea for this recipe came from my love for cookies, especially during the holiday season. I wanted to create a simple yet delicious cookie recipe that would be perfect for the Christmas season.

2. Can I make substitutions for any of the ingredients in this recipe?

Yes, you can make substitutions for some of the ingredients in this recipe. For example, you can use coconut oil instead of butter, or almond flour instead of all-purpose flour. However, keep in mind that the taste and texture of the cookies may vary.

3. How long do these cookies stay fresh?

These cookies can stay fresh for up to a week if stored in an airtight container at room temperature. You can also refrigerate them for longer shelf life.

4. Can I freeze the dough to make these cookies later?

Yes, you can freeze the dough for up to 3 months. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container before freezing. When you're ready to bake, let the dough thaw in the fridge before baking.

5. Are these cookies suitable for people with dietary restrictions?

This recipe can easily be modified to be suitable for those with dietary restrictions. For example, you can use gluten-free flour and dairy-free butter to make these cookies suitable for those with gluten or dairy allergies. Just make sure to check the ingredient labels before making any substitutions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
koeverson
Replies
Views
mrssyvo