• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ymca Healthy Cooking Classes/Demo

In summary, Sharon is working on class/demo ideas to do in her hometown YMCA. Her ideas so far include a Healthy Holiday Baking class and a power cooking demo. She is also considering a White Chicken Chili in the microwave and a Janurary class on fresh vegetables. She would love everybody's input on these ideas.
pcsharon1
Gold Member
I am working on class/demo ideas to do in my hometown YMCA. I no longer live in the area but visit frequently - every other month or so - and want to keep my business going while I am there and would love to find a recruit there as well.:chef:

I have submitted several ideas to the program coordinator. My ideas so far have been to do a Healthy Holiday Baking class the week of Thanksgiving - I have lots of tips for lowering the fat and upping the nutrition in baked goods such as subbing applesauce or fruit puree for oil, egg whites or a mixture of egg whites and whole eggs in place of whole eggs and using fruit (fresh and dried), nuts and whole grains in baked goods.

In January I thought I would do the White Chicken Chili in the microwave. It is light, quick and inexpensive. It's also a perfect cold weather food.

In March I am considering doing a power cooking demo and using it as a suggestion for eating homemade fresh foods rather than stopping at the deli or drive thru on the way home. Also, it is budget friendly and can still have the hot meals needed on a cold March evening.

Late spring/early summer I suggested a demo using fresh vegetables and focusing on salads. There are lots of tools that can be used with vegetables.

I would love everybody's input on these ideas. I have never done a class of this type. I know it is not specifically for selling but for getting my name out in the community and promoting my business. I really want this to be a win/win situation for myself and the YMCA.

Thanks,
Sharon

Sounds like a great idea! I may steal it to approach our local Y and see if they're interested in this type of show!

Perhaps suggest whole grains other than rice that could be cooked in the micro rice cooker, like bulgur wheat or quinoa? Quinoa is a complete protein and is very tasty in Mexican cold salads or as a picadillo.

You could talk about reading package labels and avoiding trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils) and high fructose corn syrup, and how cooking at home helps to avoid some of the added junk that is not good for us.

I think I saw that there is a low fat PC cookbook? It might be worth looking through for ideas.

You won't believe the liberties the program director took with the info I gave him. He asked for info on me and I told him.....

I have been a part-time consultant with PC for 11 years. I have been married to an active duty army soldier for 14 years and we have a 2 year old son. We have lived in several states and even in Germany.

The flier he put up to advertise says to come to a healthy cooking/baking class presented by a renowned consultant who has done demonstrations and classes all over the world.

Now I am totally freaking out. I know that we are from this tiny little town and there aren't going to be but 10 people if I am lucky.....but come on.

On the upside - I need him to write me a resume while I am there so I can go work at the top of one of the high rises in Philly in a big corner office.;)

I am behind in my reading, Sharon. Thanks for the smile ;)

You can pull this off - It is just marketing.

First you downplay a little what was on the flyer. Then, admit that you have lived in other states and countries as part of your service to your country (thank you).

Did you host friends on base? Hmmm. sounds like a demo to me, one of those where the food was prepared in advance.
Brush up on favorite foods in those areas of the country and Germany, and how those favorites can be made more healthy/economically friendly by.... those ideas you already listed.

This should be fun :p Can't wait to hear how the first class goes!!

Sallie

You're lucky your Y let you do this. In order to have a Kids in the Kitchen Class at my Y, I had to get the approval of the Health Department. They wanted to declare me a caterer and I had to guarantee I had a dishwasher that was set at 165 degrees. I just said forget it...

You are fortunate. I setup a series of classes and was told to get a business license in my town ($165) and not discuss my company name at all. No way in 7734. (turn it upside down for translation) I chose to guarantee sales by booking each of those nights instead of some contrived class, with solid hosts!

1. What is the goal of the YMCA Healthy Cooking Classes/Demo?

The goal of the YMCA Healthy Cooking Classes/Demo is to educate individuals on how to prepare and cook nutritious meals that are both delicious and budget-friendly.

2. Who can participate in the YMCA Healthy Cooking Classes/Demo?

The YMCA Healthy Cooking Classes/Demo is open to anyone who is interested in learning how to cook healthy meals. It is not limited to YMCA members, but may have a discounted rate for members.

3. What types of recipes are taught in the YMCA Healthy Cooking Classes/Demo?

The recipes taught in the YMCA Healthy Cooking Classes/Demo focus on incorporating whole, unprocessed foods and using cooking techniques that promote a healthy lifestyle. These may include recipes for soups, salads, entrees, and desserts.

4. Do I need to have any cooking experience to attend the YMCA Healthy Cooking Classes/Demo?

No prior cooking experience is necessary to attend the YMCA Healthy Cooking Classes/Demo. The classes are designed for individuals of all skill levels and the instructors will provide step-by-step guidance for each recipe.

5. How long are the YMCA Healthy Cooking Classes/Demo?

The length of the YMCA Healthy Cooking Classes/Demo may vary, but they typically last around 1-2 hours. This includes time for instruction, cooking, and enjoying the prepared meal.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefmoseley
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
puffinsplace
  • pamperednay
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
JackieB999
Replies