• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why is Shipping Taxed Instead of Pre-Taxed Sale Price?

In summary, shipping is taxed separately from the pre-taxed sale price because it is considered a separate service or transaction. This tax is based on the destination of the product, not where it is purchased. The only way to avoid paying tax on shipping is to purchase from a location with no sales tax and have it shipped to the same location. The tax on shipping is calculated based on the destination's tax rate and may include additional local taxes or fees. This tax may be different from the sales tax rate, which is usually based on the location of purchase.
milkangel
I had a host woundering why do they have sales tax after the sh and why they tax Shipping insted of having sales tax before. never had it that way before.

It is a state law. Because we do not charge actual shipping costs (we are usually less) it is considered shipping and handling which is taxable in most states.

From my understanding, a lot of companies pre tax shipping so customers don't think shipping is taxed when it is. PC just doesn't do it that way. Also depending what state you're in, shipping may not be taxed. It just depends on that states laws.

It varies from state to state. We do not tax shipping in IL.

Have her read the back of the sales receipt (top left-hand corner). It clearly states that "Shipping and handling charges are taxable in all states except: AK, DC, DE, IA, ID, IL, MA, MT, NH, OH, OK, OR, UT and WY." Blame it on the state, not PC!!

I did direct sales for 3 years with another company and hosted shows through another line ... we ALWAYS taxed shipping. I had to come to PC to find out that we don't do that here in Ohio!

Thank you for your awnsers it helped a lot

ShanaSmith said:
It is a state law. Because we do not charge actual shipping costs (we are usually less) it is considered shipping and handling which is taxable in most states.

I have been asked this in the past too. Wow! I am so glad I finally have the answer. You guys are fantastic!

Related to Why is Shipping Taxed Instead of Pre-Taxed Sale Price?

1. Why is shipping taxed instead of the pre-taxed sale price?

Shipping is taxed because it is considered a separate service or transaction from the actual sale of the product. Therefore, it is subject to its own tax rate. This is similar to how other services, such as labor or installation fees, are also taxed separately.

2. Can I avoid paying tax on shipping by purchasing in-store?

No, the tax on shipping is based on the location where the product is being delivered, not where it is purchased. So even if you buy the product in-store, if it is shipped to a state with a sales tax, the shipping will also be taxed.

3. Is there any way to get around paying tax on shipping?

The only way to avoid paying tax on shipping is to purchase the product in a state or country with no sales tax and have it shipped to a location in that same state or country. However, keep in mind that this could potentially lead to other tax or customs fees.

4. How is the tax on shipping calculated?

The tax on shipping is calculated based on the tax rate of the destination where the product is being shipped. This can vary depending on the state or country, and may also include any additional local taxes or fees.

5. Why is the tax on shipping different from the sales tax rate?

The tax on shipping may be different from the sales tax rate because it is based on the specific destination of the product. Sales tax is usually based on the location of the purchase, while shipping tax is based on the location where the product is being delivered.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Barry Carlton
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • 3girls