• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Don't People Understand and Respect That Pampered Chef Is My Job!

The other gal I had not called for over 6 months and a month ago I wanted to do a small open house with a new business in town so I called her and she said great cause she needed the money. Well she calls me 2 days before and says she just got called about a job and HAS to go in on Sat (the day she was working for me) to train. She needs this job to save for college and it is full time for the summer blah blah blah. So I told her sorry I can't do it and to come by on her day off.
etteluap70PC
Gold Member
I am sooooo frustrated with my babysitters!!! I have 3 (2 are sisters) girls that sit foe me fairly regularly. 1 has backed out on me last minute multiple times. The last was 2 weeks ago. Today I called the 2 sisters to confirm the time they would come for next Sat (I have a bridal shower show) I was talking to the mom and she said "oh... we just got an invite to a wedding that day" WHAT!!!!! You made a comitment to me dammit! I mean it's one thing for teen agers to have this attitude but another for the parents to think it's OK!

I have even still had these girls come a few times when I had a show cancel or didn't get a booking on a date I had them resered for. Partly to get some me time but also because I had commited to have them work and earn some money.

I am so mad I could spit nails!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Don't sugar coat it. Tell us what you really think of them!

I can't tell you how many babysitters (teens and ADULTS!) will call me 20-30 minutes before I've needed to leave the house and tell me they don't feel good or they are too tired or whatever. Then, I'm totally scramling to find someone to get over NOW!!

I try to remember that there are no PChef emergencies, put it in perspective. I've ended up bringing my very badly behaving children with me sometimes, but what to do?

It seems to work well now that I have an au-pair who lives with us and is available anytime, six days a week. Good Luck!

KG... Couldn't tell I was a bit miffed hugh? LOL

It is just another example to me of how much of our society has no respect for anyone or anything! How am I supposed to raise responsible adults when no one else has any idea what that means!!!!!

Luckily I have a very supportive SIL who even though she works like 60hrs a week and is busy with grad party's and such (her youngest just graduated HS) will fill in for me if she can. She has bailed me out multiple times. She sold TW when her kids were small and her hubby was in the military so she gets it.

If I had other family arround it would not be a big deal but I do not. What I would give some days to have grandmas, grandpas aunts and uncles closer than 900 miles away!

Do you have a neighbor who could be on call for a small amount of money (or PC products) per week?

If these girls keep backing out at the last minute is there any other people that you can get to babysit and just stop using these girls all together?

If that happened to me, I would want someone that was reliable and I would hire someone else to be my babysitter.

no not really.... My closest neighbors arent very neighborly... We have been here over 2 years and barely know them. They all have grown children.

The others I know close by all work durring the week so weekends are precious to them. One friend who lives down the street helped out once but they have 2 kids same age as mine and with all 4 it is a zoo.

I had the sisters down for 3 other saturdays thruout the summer and told their mom I would take them off since it was just too busy for everyone. (I did not have those dates booked yet) and my summer saturday shows never turn out very well anyway. So I will not even offer any weekend days till September.

DMB75 said:
If these girls keep backing out at the last minute is there any other people that you can get to babysit and just stop using these girls all together?

If that happened to me, I would want someone that was reliable and I would hire someone else to be my babysitter.

That is why I hired the sisters. This is the first time it happend with them. The other gal I had not called for over 6 months and a month ago I wanted to do a small open house with a new business in town so I called her and she said great cause she needed the money. Well she calls me 2 days before and says she just got called about a job and HAS to go in on Sat (the day she was working for me) to train. She needs this job to save for college and it is full time for the summer bla... bla... bla...

yeah.. ok.. whatever...

Good help is awfully hard to get. We've been forced to hire temps from a body shop and that's always a shot in the dark. In the last two weeks, I've had to fire one helper right off the job site for showing up drunk and another who I didn't fire but will never have back because he's such a cancer. He whines all the time (he's such a victim, you know) and his whining affects the rest of the crew because normally good people start to whine, too.He's a good worker (when he works) and he could go far in life, except that we are unable to correct his toxic behavior, because he plays his victim card immediately. I don't need that, I need people who can get the job done.

The advantage, Paulette, is that you are the best example for your little ones. Just make sure you hold them to a high standard as they grow up. My DS is 21. At the age of 14 he started working with a local youth ministry. By the age of 16, he was often put in charge of projects, working with his peers. Seeing the type of behavior you've described made him disgusted with some of his friends. He actually started thanking us about that time for making him keep his word.There is hope. There are also good, reliable sitters out there. My hope is that you find one soon.

Last edited:
Paulette, the other thing you have to remember is that people who are not entreprenuers have absolutely no clue of what it takes to be in, and run, a business. They go to work, punch in, punch out, get a check, and never think for one minute about how that check gets made out to them.You can't educate them, either. Anyone can lead a horse to water, but if you can make him roll over and float on his back, then you've got something.

I pay a minimum of $10 an hour, then I always throw in extra after I've figured the hourly. I had one college aged sitter who thought sitting for me would be so fantastic because she was working a 3 hour shift at Subway at the mall for $6/hour. Basically, after sacrificing her entire afternoon, fighting the mall traffic, possibly suckering into mall sales, eating at her employee discount, and taxes, what do you think she was earning after a 3 hour shift? Still, she could never seem to get over being too tired to come and babysit at my house.

It really relates to our recruits, too. KG is right, some people just prefer to have a set schedule, punch in and out, and live hand to mouth. I tend to get so easily frusterated by recruits who don't do anything, but it's exactly the same thing.

My sisters have both had problems finding good babysitters. I think that it's not considered a "cool" job anymore. And HS students are so busy with after-school activities, sports, and things that they can list on college applications, that there just aren't enough responsible teens available to babysit.

I have had this same problem.. with sitters..... It's got to the point where my DH just takes charge and watches my DD, but if he can't I bring my DD (who is now 6) to my shows... and if she helps me I "pay" her a little bit of money.... she thinks it is just like at home and helping me out in the kitchen... but I so understand your frustrations..... it's sad

I have the same issue...with hosts!!!!

I had one call 3 days before the show to reschedule (because they suddenly sold the house and ad to close on the show date). She reschedules for 10 days later when in the new house - I suggested she push it out further so she'd have time to unpack and get settled but she insisted. Oh and she asks me to re-mail all th einvites wit the new date. I politely tell her no - I only spend the $ on mailing invites ONCE. Guess what? Two days prior - she calls to "reschedule" again. This time I suggest catalog show. She complies. Then she calls me back the next day - when I am napping - so I am all foggy-brained - and says her friends were soo sad we cancelled and they REALLy want to come to a PC show can I reschedule. I cave in and agree. But I give her a date WAY out in late August. I am sorry I did that and am thinking I need to get out of it - cuz she's just gonna screw me again...

I feel blessed beyond measure to have found a steady, reliable sitter! She is actually 23, and has a "real" day job......but also has student loans and her first "by herself" apartment - and she is incredible w/ our son! He loves her and can't wait to see us leave so he can have Hannah all to himself. She knows how to make him mind, and doesn't put up with temper or pouting.....and even gets him to pick up his own toys! The house is always clean when I get home.....sometimes too clean! I have to make sure that the clean dishes are out of the dishwasher, and that all of my "by hand" dishes are washed and put away.....or I find the clean dishes is strange cupboards, and the other dishes in the dishwasher!
It took me 2 years to find such a gem though......and I don't share her with friends!

etteluap70PC said:
no not really.... My closest neighbors arent very neighborly... We have been here over 2 years and barely know them. They all have grown children.

The others I know close by all work durring the week so weekends are precious to them. One friend who lives down the street helped out once but they have 2 kids same age as mine and with all 4 it is a zoo.

I had the sisters down for 3 other saturdays thruout the summer and told their mom I would take them off since it was just too busy for everyone. (I did not have those dates booked yet) and my summer saturday shows never turn out very well anyway. So I will not even offer any weekend days till September.

Maybe check with a local church (talk with the youth minister) and see if he/she can recommend any of the kids there. If you have a college nearby check and see if they have an elementary education or early childhood education program. You might be able to pick up a sitter from there as well.

Good luck!!!

Oh todays youth................I have 23 employees they range in ages 15-50. I can't believe how some parents don't teach there kids about how important it is to have a job and to work hard.

I would meet the parents before giving the OK to any babysitter might give you a good sense about them:) . I've been thinking about interviewing the parents of the teenagers I higher first! LOL

rennea said:
Oh todays youth................I have 23 employees they range in ages 15-50. I can't believe how some parents don't teach there kids about how important it is to have a job and to work hard.

I would meet the parents before giving the OK to any babysitter might give you a good sense about them:) . I've been thinking about interviewing the parents of the teenagers I higher first! LOL

My DH ran his own Construction Co. for years.....and his biggest frustration was his younger employees....so many of them would just not come in if they didn't feel like it - this happened ALOT on Mondays - they'd have a hang-over, so just not show up....the frustrating thing was that it was really a pain to fire them after he'd spent time training them, only to hire more guys that would turn around and do the same thing!
Now, he is the Director of Maintenance for an Assisted Living Center - and he has the same problem - but one of the worst is the owners son!:(

He also has several retirees who work for him part time - and he LOVES them! They come to work early, and he has to make them take their breaks, not try and figure out where they've been and what they've been doing all day!

My son is only 3, but we are already trying to instill in him the idea of helping with chores (he picks up his toys, puts his dirty clothes down the chute, and helps set the table) and also finishing something you've started. (You don't get out your basket of cars until you've put the play-dough away.......that was the lesson this morning!)

ChefBeckyD said:
My son is only 3, but we are already trying to instill in him the idea of helping with chores (he picks up his toys, puts his dirty clothes down the chute, and helps set the table) and also finishing something you've started. (You don't get out your basket of cars until you've put the play-dough away.......that was the lesson this morning!)

Good for you. I don't have kids, but I believe you have to start with them when they are young to. Not just one day when their 16, "oh yes dear and by the way let's chat about being reliable today".

ChefBeckyD said:
I feel blessed beyond measure to have found a steady, reliable sitter! She is actually 23, and has a "real" day job......but also has student loans and her first "by herself" apartment - and she is incredible w/ our son! He loves her and can't wait to see us leave so he can have Hannah all to himself. She knows how to make him mind, and doesn't put up with temper or pouting.....and even gets him to pick up his own toys! The house is always clean when I get home.....sometimes too clean! I have to make sure that the clean dishes are out of the dishwasher, and that all of my "by hand" dishes are washed and put away.....or I find the clean dishes is strange cupboards, and the other dishes in the dishwasher!
It took me 2 years to find such a gem though......and I don't share her with friends!

I had a gal like that before we moved and I loved her!!! So did my daughter. She even drove an hr one time when we first moved her to sit for us.

dannyzmom said:
I have the same issue...with hosts!!!!

I had one call 3 days before the show to reschedule (because they suddenly sold the house and ad to close on the show date). She reschedules for 10 days later when in the new house - I suggested she push it out further so she'd have time to unpack and get settled but she insisted. Oh and she asks me to re-mail all th einvites wit the new date. I politely tell her no - I only spend the $ on mailing invites ONCE. Guess what? Two days prior - she calls to "reschedule" again. This time I suggest catalog show. She complies. Then she calls me back the next day - when I am napping - so I am all foggy-brained - and says her friends were soo sad we cancelled and they REALLy want to come to a PC show can I reschedule. I cave in and agree. But I give her a date WAY out in late August. I am sorry I did that and am thinking I need to get out of it - cuz she's just gonna screw me again...

Have you thought of double booking those types of people that you are pretty sure will not hold? I'm not at enough bookings yet, but I'm getting there. And, if both do hold, call someone in your downline (hopefully a new recruit) and give one of the shows away. You still benefit and your recruit gets training!

cmdtrgd said:
Have you thought of double booking those types of people that you are pretty sure will not hold? I'm not at enough bookings yet, but I'm getting there. And, if both do hold, call someone in your downline (hopefully a new recruit) and give one of the shows away. You still benefit and your recruit gets training!

I need to get the guts up to do this. My fear is the big WHAT IF my downline consultants are all unavailable that day? Then which host do I bail on? LOL

Related to Why Don't People Understand and Respect That Pampered Chef Is My Job!

1. Why do people think Pampered Chef is just a hobby and not a real job?

Some people may not understand that Pampered Chef is a legitimate job because it involves selling products through home parties and may seem similar to other direct sales companies. However, as a Pampered Chef consultant, I have to manage inventory, market my business, and provide excellent customer service just like any other job.

2. How do you make money with Pampered Chef?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, I make money through commission from sales. I also have the opportunity to earn bonuses and incentives based on my performance. Additionally, I can build a team and earn a percentage of their sales as well.

3. Is Pampered Chef a pyramid scheme?

No, Pampered Chef is not a pyramid scheme. Pyramid schemes are illegal and involve making money solely through recruiting others. Pampered Chef is a legitimate direct sales company that sells high-quality kitchen products through home parties and online sales.

4. How much time do you have to dedicate to your Pampered Chef business?

The amount of time I dedicate to my Pampered Chef business varies, but typically I spend a few hours each week on tasks such as preparing for parties, ordering products, and following up with customers. However, I have the flexibility to choose my own hours and can adjust my schedule as needed.

5. Can you really make a full-time income with Pampered Chef?

Yes, it is possible to make a full-time income with Pampered Chef. Many consultants have successfully built a strong business and earn a full-time income through their efforts. It takes hard work, dedication, and consistency, but the opportunity is there for those who are willing to put in the effort.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebPC
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
baychef
  • micocina
  • General Chat
Replies