• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Do I Feel Guilty Re: a Low Head Count?

In summary, the host emailed the consultant to say that she only has 3 confirmed guests, and the consultant told the host that they need at least 6-10 confirmed guests to make the trip worth their while. The host told the consultant that they can save the show by calling people, not e-mailing, not a plea on Facebook, not texting. If the host collects outside orders, the consultant will give them to the first person who signs up to start their own business.
Amanda_RI
Gold Member
I have a show scheduled for this Sunday. It's 80 miles round trip. Almost an hour of driving each way.

The host emailed me to say that she only has 3 confirmed guests, with a couple of maybes.

I had to email her back and tell her that, while I'm really looking forward to her show, I need to have at least 6-10 confirmed guests to make it worth my while to drive that far.

Should I feel guilty for doing that? I've explained to her that you need to overinvite, and that it's for HER benefit to have a bigger crowd. I just don't know that she's putting forth the effort. She hasn't used the website for invites, and on FB it was just an all-caps plea to let her know if anyone was coming. I'm not holding my breath.

I know there's always the chance that people are going to come out of the woodwork, and just show up without rsvp'ing. Just needed some reassurance that I'm not the only consultant trying not to waste valuable family weekend time playing caterer to the host, her mom & the past host. :cool:

I think it's entirely up to you as a consultant.
Me, Personally...I'd just do it and hope for the best. Those 3 guests could all be recruit leads or all book shows. Or maybe they will all purchase a DCB and sales will be better than expected.
Do you give the host a bonus if she collects outside orders? I give my hosts a FREE Medium Bar Pan if she collects $250 in outside orders. Most hosts take advantage and at least you walk into any size show with at least $250 in sales.

I would do it. You never know what may come of it. I went 140 miles round trip once and there turned out to be 2 guest. Total sales were $60 when we closed the party (at that time it was 5 orders or $150 to call it a show) but one of the guests booked and the string of shows from that gave me tons of sales ($1000's of $$). It was so worth it! ...DH says he would have quit right then but that's why he's not in sales. lol

I think it's fine what you e-mailed her, esp. if you think the 3 are mom, sister and past host. You could always try reaching the past host to see if she has any insight, if you have that kind of relationship with her. The host can still save the show by CALLING people - not e-mailing, not a plea on FB, not texting. Tell her that specifically, ie. texting will not work. Phrase it with the "I'm sure you want a fun, successful show where people don't feel pressured to buy. Here's how you do it."

Even if you go and get bookings, are those bookings at such a distance that you want to keep traveling? You need to recruit someone to take over that area. ;)

I don't think you should feel guilty about saying that. It's your business. BUSINESS. You have to set that expectation with the host, so that they take you seriously. It is fun, but you can have fun closer to home, too. ;)

That being said, I do agree with the other ladies that you should still go do the party. You never know what might come out of it.

Thanks for the replies!

We've emailed a bit on FB this morning, and she really feels like she's going to have more people there--she's been making a lot of phone calls, and has lots of relatives that just 'show up.'

I'd be excited about bookings, but honestly, I don't want to have to keep going back to this town--not with gas hitting $4 + this summer! LOL

Amanda_RI said:
I'd be excited about bookings, but honestly, I don't want to have to keep going back to this town--not with gas hitting $4 + this summer! LOL

Perfect opportunity to recruit!

Since it's quite a ways for me to come back here, I'd be happy to give any and all bookings from this show to the first person who wants to sign up to start her own business. It's a great way to get started, since I've already done half the work for you!

I NEVER turn down a show..............and one of the things they stressed at Director Express was to never make your host feel guilty because that is something that will stress them out and they will definately share with their friends. You don't want to be the person who makes everyone feel bad if they don't have a big enough show.

I understand not wanting to make that drive! Especially with the gas prices. But if you've been host coaching her correctly then you really can't control what she does otherwise. Sometimes there are just people who aren't going to do well no matter how hard they try. I wouldn't want her to be working her but off and be disappointed that none of her friends are attending, only to be told that you won't come because you need more people. And if you haven't host coached her correctly (and let's face it, most of us drop the ball every now and then) then it's not entirely her fault and you can't blame her for that either. Keep talking to her, hope for the best, and do the same show for three people that you would do for 13. Sometimes it's all we can do.

I would do the show. I actually have a show 2.5 hrs from my house this w/e and I don't think turn out will be good (probably will cover my gas costs) but hopefully I can get something out of it.

I will admit that I share the same frustration, but I will also share with you that you should do this show with a positive energy. Yes, I complained to my family that this particular host of mine (a close friend) was letting me down even with my host coaching. First, she only invited 8, yes 8. Then she wanted to have the show at my house because her kitchen was too small, and she wanted it on a Sunday afternoon. So, I bit the bullet and did the show. Out of the 6 people that came, 3 booked shows and 4 wanted to learn more about the business opportunity! The show was $300 but the potential income I'm going to have beats everything. I've never recruited before so I'm very nervous about these 4 potentials. I gave them information and have set up one on one meetings to discuss further. I'm going to cross my fingers that I'll get at least one recruit out of this.So, that said, I would never recommend turning down a show. Ever.

If you're nervous about doing the interviews, may I suggest you contact your upline Director and maybe do a 3-way conf. call?

Brenda.the.chef said:
I will admit that I share the same frustration, but I will also share with you that you should do this show with a positive energy. Yes, I complained to my family that this particular host of mine (a close friend) was letting me down even with my host coaching. First, she only invited 8, yes 8. Then she wanted to have the show at my house because her kitchen was too small, and she wanted it on a Sunday afternoon. So, I bit the bullet and did the show. Out of the 6 people that came, 3 booked shows and 4 wanted to learn more about the business opportunity! The show was $300 but the potential income I'm going to have beats everything.

I've never recruited before so I'm very nervous about these 4 potentials. I gave them information and have set up one on one meetings to discuss further. I'm going to cross my fingers that I'll get at least one recruit out of this.

So, that said, I would never recommend turning down a show. Ever.
Take the online courses (or retake them) about working with your recruit leads). There are also a couple conference classes including one that has great instructions on how to go over the Join Us Booklet - that's what worked for me!

It's your business. You have the right to set whatever policies you like, as long as they don't conflict with HO policies. I don't have a minimum number of guests for a show, no matter how far. Then again, that's my choice. I see nothing wrong with telling your hosts that you'll need a minimum of a certain number of hosts or a certain amount in outside orders.

My last show was around $800 with 5 guests. I never turn down a show, no matter how small. Keep it open a bit longer so they can gather orders maybe, but never cancel.

I did a show about a year ago right after I got started.... it was horrible... about $50 in sales. Gal was a flake. I did get one booking, so it was ok, but then later spent forever hunting her down for cash that someone had given her for an outside order.
Fast forward. She books with one of my new girls. I tried to gently share w/ my new girl not to get her expectations up w/out discouraging her. Well she did a little better for her, and I think got it up to about $160 (actually qualified for a show this time). All of that said. That $160 show (or whatever) is what got my new girl qualified in 30 days. In the end was it worth it? Yes.

I've been in your shoes and it's tough. I've had anywhere from NO ONE to over 30 at my shows. Here's a reason to go:

1 of my Feb. shows had 3 people there. Ended up with over $800 in sales + I had my 1st at show recruit (she signed up on-line before I left!!!!) Plus, 1 of the other guest booked a party with the recruit and the host ended up with 6 bookings!!!! We both started laughing every time she'd call and say "guest what xyz wants to book a show too!". You NEVER know how it will turn out.

Back in the summer I drove 1 1/2 to a show and grumbled about it with my family. Her show was OK, but what I didn't know was that she'd have a booking in the same town. Again not real happy with the drive and again the show was OK. Fast Forward to this past winter. I'm @ a show and a guest asked how I knew the host. Another guest said, well I met her @ xyz party who met her at abc party who met her at....5 of my previous host where there and they all came from that first show!!! I can trace back at least 12 bookings to the first show. Slowly the shows have moved closer to my home. And guess what? One of the last shows in the string produced not 1 but 2 recruits! I'd missed out on tons of business had I passed on that 1 show.

To be honest some host just don't know that many people. I'd really stress the importance of bringing a guest and that you'll give them a gift if they do. That is easy for host to ask even if they don't know lots of people and can really boost the attendance.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

You've all given a lot of great advice. I do want to clarify that I didn't make her feel guilty for thinking she would have a low head count, but did try to impress on her the importance of trying to get a few more guests FOR HER, but also because this is a business, and I wanted to be sure to at least recoup my gas money.:)

And, having been in this business for a while, I would give a good show, even if it was just the host and her cat. :)

Of course, I'm going. I understand the potential that each show has, and while (should there be no recruit leads) I do NOT want to have to keep travelling this far, I'll go, have a great time at this show, and see where it leads me.

Have a great day!

How did the show turn out??

Yes, curious minds want to know!

1. Why do I feel guilty about having a low head count at my Pampered Chef party?

It is natural to feel a sense of responsibility towards the success of your Pampered Chef party and a low head count may feel like a personal reflection of that success. You may also feel guilty about not inviting enough people or not promoting the event effectively.

2. How can having a low head count affect my Pampered Chef business?

A low head count can potentially impact your Pampered Chef business as it means fewer potential customers to introduce to the products and potentially make sales to. It can also affect the overall atmosphere and energy of the party.

3. Is it normal to have a low head count at a Pampered Chef party?

Yes, it is common to have a low head count at a Pampered Chef party. There could be various reasons for this, such as scheduling conflicts, lack of interest or availability of guests, or not promoting the event effectively.

4. How can I increase my head count for future Pampered Chef parties?

There are several ways to increase your head count for future Pampered Chef parties. You can try promoting the event through various channels, such as social media, email invitations, or word of mouth. You can also offer incentives for guests to attend, such as discounts or free products.

5. Should I feel guilty if my Pampered Chef party does not have a high head count?

No, you should not feel guilty about a low head count at your Pampered Chef party. While it is important to have a good turnout for the success of your business, it is also important to focus on the guests who did attend and providing them with a great experience. Remember, quality over quantity.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Chef Bobby
Replies
Views
PamperedK
  • redd3708
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies