• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why did Food Network fire Chef Robert Irvine from Dinner Impossible?

In summary, Chef Robert Irvine of one of my fave shows, Dinner Impossible, was fired due to lying about his resume. Apparently, he had lied about working at the ROYAL PALACE and the WHITE HOUSE, and no one caught it until after he was hired. This is a sad day for FN fans, as Irvine is a great chef and the show is great.
chefsteph07
I just saw that they fired Chef Robert Irvine of one of my fave shows, Dinner Impossible, due to the fact that he lied about his resume...

Ok, what I want to know is...why can't FN do their job and do background checks on these people? I watched the Next FN Star and they got all the way down to the final 2 or 3 and then 'discovered" that one of the contestants lied about his background as well and let him out of the competition..

W/ Robert Irvine, I cannot possibly think it would be hard to do a background check on someone who said they had worked at the ROYAL PALACE and the WHITE HOUSE...I cannot believe he's been around as long as he has and has not been busted yet..I think I read he admitted that he lied about it in a magazine article...

I do not think they should have let him go..that show is great, he does a great job on it, and they should have just given him a fine, suspended him, or something...it would be different if he was goof ball on the show and didn't know what he was doing.

I agree they shouldve done a background check, but I agree it isnt ethical to keep someone who lied.

I think he's been on there for like 3 or 4 yrs...I cannot believe no one has found out about him till now..that he ADMITTED it...this looks really bad on FN in my opinion...

Aww, I hate to hear that. I love that show.

I love that show!!! It says in an article that FN might "revisit" their decision at the end of the season but for now they are searching for a new host. Good luck finding someone who could pull off what he does!!!! My husband and I were watching it the other day and commenting on how he has to know basically everything there is to know about cooking to do what he does! FN definately should "revisit" their hiring staff and procedures so that these things don't happen!!

I agree, I hope they reverse the decision and let him back on...

chefshawna said:
I love that show!!! It says in an article that FN might "revisit" their decision at the end of the season but for now they are searching for a new host. Good luck finding someone who could pull off what he does!!!! My husband and I were watching it the other day and commenting on how he has to know basically everything there is to know about cooking to do what he does! FN definately should "revisit" their hiring staff and procedures so that these things don't happen!!
I with you there!
I've noticed that food network needs to research more efficiently!
I like him. I use to think he was a pompous, but then I saw a few eppisodes with him and Paula and just couldn't help but like him! LOL! But then again, I really like Paula, sometimes she's rough around the edges, but she just makes me laugh!
Sad day for FN fans!:(

Hey, speaking of FN, I need to go upstairs and check out my tv! My cable company put 6 of my family's favorite channels on HDTV today! And FN is one! I don't know how much I'll be on here today! LOL!:D

vwpamperedchef said:
I agree they shouldve done a background check, but I agree it isnt ethical to keep someone who lied.

I'm with you on this one. If they wouldn't have hired him if they found out he lied, then IMHO he doesn't have any reason to think he should keep his job now.

But still, how pathetic is it that FN couldn't do a basic background check on someone. Regardless of what he lied about, FN comes out of this looking like the bigger idiots because they didn't catch it BEFORE they hired him. Wonder how they found out anyway.

katie0128 said:
I'm with you on this one. If they wouldn't have hired him if they found out he lied, then IMHO he doesn't have any reason to think he should keep his job now.

But still, how pathetic is it that FN couldn't do a basic background check on someone. Regardless of what he lied about, FN comes out of this looking like the bigger idiots because they didn't catch it BEFORE they hired him. Wonder how they found out anyway.

Chef admitted it in a magazine interview

chefsteph07 said:
Chef admitted it in a magazine interview

So he created his own downfall. Did the interviewer know he had lied and confront him or did Chef offer that information?

They are going to let Dog back on tv, so maybe there is hope for DI fans.

I am with you about the FN looking like the idiots. And at this point, he obviously does a great job at his job, so at this point, it is almost too late.

I was thinking the same thing. . . I understand he lied BUT they didn't check and he proved to do a great job. His show was successful. . . .SO just leave it! I love that show!

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/17/Southpinellas/TV_chef_spiced_up_his.shtmlLots of comments...

Sounds like they let him go more because he is a "nut case."

pampchefrhondab said:
Sounds like they let him go more because he is a "nut case."

LOL
That's what gives him his personality! However many of them he has!

I used to think he was a big pompous jerk too, but then he grew on me. Then when I actually paid attention to what he was able to pull off--WOW!!!!It seems like there's been lots of big shake ups at TLC, HGTV, and FN lately...hosts switching shows, showing up on other channels....it's just weird.

I'm not a person who puts a lot on papers... sure a great resume is awesome and lying on it is wrong though a lot of folks do so or either fabricating or exaggerating the truth. If a person can do the job - more power to 'em. I started bookkeeping not because I new how but I was a fast study, I picked up the skills quickly and was learning to learn... I learned on the job, took classes and quickly excelled. I was up front about my skills and my then boss had to get burned by three people with degrees before she gave me a shot... Point is, if a person can do the job, what does it matter the skills... yes, he shouldn't have lied, yes FN should have done a background check... but the man is AWESOME at what he does. I can't imagine any other chef doing what he does, with his demeanor and charm. I don't care if he only ever worked on a soup line, he does a bang up job in 'impossible' situations and shines... regardless of his papers... I think FN is embarrassed and thinks firing him will help their image but a lot of their cooks came from nothing and worked their way up... many did not have culinary artsy backgrounds... even Rachel Ray admits she's 'just a cook'... is it the humility they reward? Or the skills? I guess we'll see...

I watch him some. I do like him when I watch him - he does grow on you. I loved the one where he cooked for the Elvis fans and Priscilla.

BUT I am off the opinion that there needs to be consequences for him lying. That is the problem with today's world, we have gotten to the point that there needs to be background checks b/c so many people lie so well b/c they do it all of the time. I do not think a company should have to spend the time and money to make sure someone is telling the truth, people should tell the truth on their own. I know that is not what happens, so, companies have to check them out. Things will not change and people will not be honest when they know there are no consequences to their dishonest actions. I am proud of FN for standing up for honesty. After all the Bible tells us not to lie.

As my signature says, this is my opinion only and you may or may not agree with it, ha!:D

I agree with you Jennifer even though I liked the Chef.

I agree that no matter how skilled you are at something, first you must have integrity and tell the truth. It's a shame that a man as skilled and personable as Irvine felt it necessary to not only lie, but to lie so much and at this point in his career. If you believe what the newspaper article says, he sounds like he has a psychological problem too.

Food Network should definitely NOT rehire him.

janetupnorth said:
http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/17/Southpinellas/TV_chef_spiced_up_his.shtml

Lots of comments...

After reading this, I understand why he got fired. I don't condone lying at all, but if it was only that he fudged what degree he had obtained, embarrass the guy, have him issue an apology and carry on with the show. But he sounds like more a con man and a compulsive liar and that is something totally different. Bottom line is probably money and if FN thought they could continue with the show and still make money with him, they would have. But he just seems to be too much of a loose cannon and possibly they would have lost money with him as the host. It's so cynical, but it's probably more money motivated than morally motivated, which in itself is sad. I do hope they wanted to keep the good family entertainment aspect of their network intact. We shall see!
Jessica

I love his show. His mouth definitely got away from his brain, but I'd love to see him given the opportunity to come clean, apologize, go in therapy, and continue the show. He is clearly talented, but without 'credentials'. I just don't think there are a lot of chefs out there who can do what he doe

I hadn't heard about this yet; too bad, I enjoy the show too.

UPDATE ON THIS:

I just read they are bringing Chef Irvine BACK to the show and new episodes are going to be airing w/ him starting in March! YEAH! :sing:

wow, that is great! I never watched it much with Michael Symon. Did he suck at it or something?

I don't think he was BAD per say, but I really liked Robert Irvine, he had a great personality in it and I was sooo excited when I read he will be back...in the article they called Michael Symon a "fill in".

chefsteph07 said:
UPDATE ON THIS:

I just read they are bringing Chef Irvine BACK to the show and new episodes are going to be airing w/ him starting in March! YEAH! :sing:

Thank the stars! I didn't care for Michael Symon for that show! I really felt that Chef Irvine's personality was much better suited for this show! :)

1. What is wrong with the food on Food Network?

The food on Food Network may not always be representative of everyday meals, as many of the dishes are created for entertainment purposes and may not be practical for everyday cooking. Additionally, some people may find the heavy use of processed ingredients and excessive amounts of butter and sugar to be unhealthy.

2. Why are there so many competition shows on Food Network?

Competition shows have become popular on Food Network because they provide an element of excitement and drama, which can attract viewers. These shows also often feature highly skilled chefs and unique dishes, which can be entertaining to watch.

3. Is Food Network's focus on celebrity chefs hurting the integrity of cooking shows?

Some people believe that the focus on celebrity chefs on Food Network has resulted in a lack of focus on cooking techniques and recipes. Instead, there is a heavy emphasis on personalities and entertainment, which may not accurately represent the true skills and expertise of professional chefs.

4. Why does Food Network air so many non-food related shows?

Food Network has expanded its programming to include shows about travel, home renovation, and other topics in addition to cooking. This is done to appeal to a wider audience and attract more viewers, as well as provide a break from the constant cooking shows.

5. How does Food Network choose which chefs and shows to feature?

Food Network typically chooses chefs and shows based on ratings, popularity, and marketability. They also look for unique and entertaining concepts, as well as chefs with a strong following and fan base. Additionally, many chefs are selected based on their willingness to conform to the network's brand and image.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MissChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
candiejayne
  • chefsteph07
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
heat123
Replies