• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

aBright Spot in a Dim Evening...

In summary, a motorcycle vs. bear accident occurs, a 66 year old man storms the scene demanding to know who is in charge, a sheriff arrives and arrests him for disorderly conduct.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
So, it's Sunday night, I'm in the middle of cooking dinner for my family and mother when...

BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP

"X county dispatch to Y First Responders." You have a motorcycle vs. bear accident at 1234 Hwy K. 1 party injured. Bear is still alive.

Well, we do our job, tell dispatch to page the Fire Department too, ask for Sheriff's to be on scene to help and take care of the bear so we can do our job.

Anyway, fast-forward about 15 minutes...all on scene, patient just loaded in ambulance, I just head down the road to take traffic duty for another firefighter who had reflective gear on but not an orange traffic vest.

I take over holding traffic (we just held both ways to get the ambulance out). Ambulance passes, cars from other direction were released behind the ambulance - about 15 of them. I am about to release 15-20 cars from my end.

I look over and a gentleman about age 60 (found out later he was 66) is stomping along the should of the road towards me. He looks at me and yells, "Who is &%&($&()$ in charge of this scene." I was shocked that a guy of his appearance age would be that irate and disrespectful of someone in full turnout gear and vest so I turned and said, "What?!" He said, "Who is &%&($&()$ in charge of this scene" and took a step toward me. At this point I wasn't sure if I'd have to run in 30lbs of gear or use my stop sign to whack him over the head when he came at me so I reached down and grabbed my radio. He said, "&%&($& you" and stormed on toward the accident. I called on the radio and asked for a sheriff immediately at my end because I had an irate bystander using profanity headed toward the accident scene. (NOTE TO ALL YOU READING - IT IS NOT YOUR RIGHT TO GO PAST ANY UNIFORMED PERSONNEL - FIREFIGHTERS OR SHERIFFS WITHOUT PERMISSION OR DIRECTION - MY STOP SIGN MEANS THAT - STOP FOR YOUR SAFETY) Anyway, I digress...I also have a pet peeve of people not pulling over (BOTH SIDES if there isn't a concrete divided barrier in the rode) for a HUGE FIRE ENGINE with an air horn and plenty of lights coming your way!

They send the sheriff to me immediately, I had turned back to traffic when he stormed on since I couldn't safely hold traffic and confront a guy. The sheriff asks where he is and he is gone! I pointed the direction he last headed. The sheriff heads back to find him when another FF calls to report rustling in the trees - he thinks it may be mama bear because cub was hit in the accident. Sheriff goes in after it (he has the gun after all!!!!). Anyway, it is this distinguished gentleman who ducked in the woods to avoid the sheriff and he is in all his glory taking a leak. Sheriff asks him if he had words with a firefighter...he says, "well I guess so". Sheriff asks him if he used profanity, he said, "I supposed I did." Sheriff says, "Turn around you are under arrest."

I get a call 1 1/2 hours later saying he was charged with disorderly conduct and was quite "jacked up". (Drunk) Here to find out, he was out with 3 other people and got ticked off that his side wasn't released first! Uh, like you can see 1/2 mile down the road past big trucks that you ARRIVED before them?!?!

Anyway, he pled guilty on Monday, had to pay about $400 in fines and write a "sincere note of apology to Ms. XXXX (me)" to be sent to the DA's office.

I was thankful that after giving up my family time and dinner to help someone who NEEDED it. That the Sheriff's department stepped up and took care of someone being disrespectful to us for doing our job! (...and volunteering at that).

Now, I am curious to read this "sincere note of apology" because it would be funny for a court to demand an "insincere not of apology"...really, how do you regulate that?! :p

wow what a story....lots going on for a sunday evening!

poor bear cub though

Wow! sounds like some night! In my world, let's see.... I went for a walk and cried about my son starting kindergarten the next day. You will, way more exciting! Glad it all worked out.

Yeah, they had to put him down...not fun to deal with a bear with a side-ache...

Janet...while it may not have been funny at the time, it is rather humorous now!

Kudos to the sheriff for following through and CHARGING the guy! And to the judge for PUNISHING him!

oh poor bear cub.
would have been funny to see you smack hm over the head with your stop sign, though. (The drunk - not the bear.)

Yes, I was irritated then at the nerve of the guy...especially considering his age. Mentally you are used to older people respecting positional authority and being appreciative of service and younger kids being unruly and disrespectful. This just shows that lack of manners and the effects of alcohol affect all ages equally.Accident and potential dangers were concerning and I was polite to the guy. All I said back was, "Excuse me sir, we have an accident" before he said, "(*&(*& You!". That made me a little angry.But yeah, it would be funny to see me 5'4" in full turnout gear which makes you look short and fat running from a guy or defending myself with a metal stop sign. :)That along with the picture of a motorcycle hitting a bear (in slow motion) can give a little chuckle...Add a porcupine or something and it would have been a fun evening.

Wow, Janet! You do lead a very interesting life! Quite a story....love to know what you "sincere note of apology" says when you get it! ;)

Wow Janet, I'm really thinking that I'd want your job. How funny is that story? ;) I'm sad for the cub though, is he okay?

PampMomof3 said:
Wow Janet, I'm really thinking that I'd want your job. How funny is that story? ;) I'm sad for the cub though, is he okay?

Hey Kristi - you too can be a volunteer firefighters...it pays really well. :p I can double my salary every year. (Double zero is still zero). But seriously, it is great to serve, good training and how else would I have this much fun.

On the bear, he's okay in the stew, in real life no. They had to put him down. He was hit square in the side. Don't know who took him. They wanted $75 for the tag and he wasn't full grown so not worth the work/money with some damaged meat on the side.

janetupnorth said:
Hey Kristi - you too can be a volunteer firefighters...it pays really well. :p I can double my salary every year. (Double zero is still zero). But seriously, it is great to serve, good training and how else would I have this much fun.

On the bear, he's okay in the stew, in real life no. They had to put him down. He was hit square in the side. Don't know who took him. They wanted $75 for the tag and he wasn't full grown so not worth the work/money with some damaged meat on the side.

Awww. poor cub. That's so sad. I would be afraid that the mama bear was out there!

Holy cow, now there's some excitement you don't normally get at Cooking Shows! Great story-thanks for sharing!!:thumbup:

pamperedbecky said:
Holy cow, now there's some excitement you don't normally get at Cooking Shows! Great story-thanks for sharing!!:thumbup:

Well, if someone came swearing at me like that at a cooking show, I'd have to defend with a stainless saute pan not a stop sign.

If a bear walked in...well...

janetupnorth said:
Yes, I was irritated then at the nerve of the guy...especially considering his age. Mentally you are used to older people respecting positional authority and being appreciative of service and younger kids being unruly and disrespectful. This just shows that lack of manners and the effects of alcohol affect all ages equally.

Accident and potential dangers were concerning and I was polite to the guy. All I said back was, "Excuse me sir, we have an accident" before he said, "(*&(*& You!". That made me a little angry.

But yeah, it would be funny to see me 5'4" in full turnout gear which makes you look short and fat running from a guy or defending myself with a metal stop sign. :)

That along with the picture of a motorcycle hitting a bear (in slow motion) can give a little chuckle...

Add a porcupine or something and it would have been a fun evening.

Wow...you're a little demanding aren't you?:p

(just answered your ? about the recorded call too)

janetupnorth said:
Well, if someone came swearing at me like that at a cooking show, I'd have to defend with a stainless saute pan not a stop sign.

If a bear walked in...well...

You could make stew in the DCB!! :p

Janet, perhaps you need to begin bringing your PC Meat Forks with you. No one would mess with you if you had one of those in your hand!

You ALL are funny!

Just curious Janet - we know what happened to the poor bear cub, and the drunken irate civilian; how's the guy on the motorcycle?

Man! I'm just glad he didn't take his anger out ON you...just glad you're safe!

janetupnorth said:
But yeah, it would be funny to see me 5'4" in full turnout gear which makes you look short and fat running from a guy or defending myself with a metal stop sign. :)

[Mr. Garrison Voice] Well, Mr. Hat, you don't see that every day. [/Mr. Garrison Voice]

pampchefsarah said:
You ALL are funny!

Just curious Janet - we know what happened to the poor bear cub, and the drunken irate civilian; how's the guy on the motorcycle?

Female and I don't have any public information on that at this time. If I speak as a "bystander" looking at the bike, she should be o.k.

Kitchen2u said:
Man! I'm just glad he didn't take his anger out ON you...just glad you're safe!

I still run pretty fast at my age. :p

No, all was good, just a ticked drunk guy with no weapons. DH was on scene at the other end so if something did happen the poor guy would be in trouble. There also are a few older firefighters very protective of me when DH is around. ;) Otherwise, they know I can usually hold my own.

I'm so glad you had prompt response from the Sherriff's department. DH is Volunteer Fire Fighter in a more suburban area. Police Department is not always as supportive. He comes home quite frustrated.
I just wish we could remind the police department each time they get a raise, that those raises would be harder to come by if the Fire Department was a paid department--AND our city taxes would probably go up by 35to 50%!! Taxes are already high enough here!!

So glad you are okay--and supported in what you do!!

quiltchef said:
I'm so glad you had prompt response from the Sherriff's department. DH is Volunteer Fire Fighter in a more suburban area. Police Department is not always as supportive. He comes home quite frustrated.
I just wish we could remind the police department each time they get a raise, that those raises would be harder to come by if the Fire Department was a paid department--AND our city taxes would probably go up by 35to 50%!! Taxes are already high enough here!!

So glad you are okay--and supported in what you do!!

We usually have some of the same issues and frustrations! That's why I was so glad it turned out how it did.

So, I got my "sincere letter of apology last night". Actually, I thought the guy was very sincere. I think he probably woke up the next day and felt like a heel.Here is it:Dear Ms. S_____:I am writing this apology the day after my court appearance while the event is embarrassingly fully on my mind. I know how hard it is for volunteers to do their jobs with only a mild thank you once in awhile from the public. I know you firefighters provide a needed and valuable service for the public (of which I am one) and we couldn't do without your skills, time volunteered, and caring.
I am truly sorry (deeply) for the vulgar language I used in front of you. For me to be loud and using profanity is unacceptable. Especially at a scene of an accident where someone's life could be in danger.
I sincerely regret and apologize for the behavior I displayed. I hope you will accept this apology as it is coming from my heart.Sincerely,
XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

Wow, it was a very well thought out, and sincere apology. I did nto expect that.

mrssyvo said:
Wow, it was a very well thought out, and sincere apology. I did nto expect that.

Neither did I....sounds like he is truly remorseful.

I believe he truly is...I think he realized later how dumb he acted. I called the DA's office today to see if it would be appropriate to send a thank you card to let him know I appreciate the letter and accept his apology. The lady wasn't in today at the DA's office so I'll speak to her tomorrow.

1. What is "a Bright Spot in a Dim Evening..." about?

"a Bright Spot in a Dim Evening..." is a cookbook filled with delicious and easy-to-make recipes that are perfect for busy weeknights. It features a variety of dishes, including appetizers, main courses, and desserts, all designed to brighten up your evening meal.

2. Are the recipes in "a Bright Spot in a Dim Evening..." healthy?

Yes, the recipes in "a Bright Spot in a Dim Evening..." are made with wholesome ingredients and are designed to be both delicious and nutritious. The cookbook also includes nutritional information for each recipe, so you can make informed choices about your meals.

3. Are the recipes in "a Bright Spot in a Dim Evening..." easy to follow?

Absolutely! The recipes in "a Bright Spot in a Dim Evening..." are designed with busy individuals in mind, so they are all easy to follow and require minimal time and effort. Each recipe also includes step-by-step instructions and helpful tips to ensure success in the kitchen.

4. Can I find recipes for special dietary needs in "a Bright Spot in a Dim Evening..."?

Yes, "a Bright Spot in a Dim Evening..." includes a variety of recipes that cater to different dietary needs, such as vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free options. There is something for everyone in this cookbook!

5. Can I purchase "a Bright Spot in a Dim Evening..." online?

Yes, "a Bright Spot in a Dim Evening..." can be purchased online through the Pampered Chef website or through a Pampered Chef consultant. You can also find the cookbook at select retailers. Happy cooking!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Crystal Patton
  • pamperedlinda
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • The_Kitchen_Guy