• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Where Can I Find a Used Cast Iron for My Friend?

It sounds like the Lodge skillet is a good option. Skillets can be expensive, so finding one for a low price is important. Cast iron can be tricky to clean, so be sure to read the instructions that come with it before using it. Cast iron can be a bit of a pain to season, but it is definitely worth it in the end.
lisasfuncooking
I know PC does not sell cast iron, but I have a friend who wants to know if I can find him one. He wants an older one. He says they are better then the new ones you could buy in the store. I really don't know anything about them. I have never ever used one. Any suggestions or do you have a good quality one you are willing to sell?

I have a newer one that I bought at Target that I am in the process of seasoning.... it takes YEARS though for a *good* seasoning. I've heard that you can find then in flea markets, yard sales, & estate sales - particularly down south.

My mother has 5 cast iron skillets in 3 different sizes. She found 4 of them at yard sales. I'd say that's the best place to look for a good seasoned one. She bought one new and has had it for at least 7 years and it STILL isn't even close to being as well seasoned as the used one she has.

I had no idea it took years to season. I guess that is why he wants an old one. I have tried tag sales. I will just have to keep my eyes open. If I find one, how do I know if it is seasoned? Again, I have never used one. All I know is they are cast iron and black. LOL!

Yard sales, etc are excellent places to find older cast iron skillets. I understand what he means about the "new" ones in the stores....the skillets made years ago were made to last - those babies are heavy! LOVE my skillet - it was a Christmas gift 15 years ago.....would love to have another one, but won't be buying a new one - I'll shop the yard sales until I can find one that makes my muscles tremble when I pick it up:D Then I'll know it's a good one;)

For those unfamiliar with cleaning cast iron - no soap......rinse, scrape clean & dry immediately (can put it in the oven to use residual heat from supper prep to dry or place upside down on a stove burner turned on low until dry). Use an oil & salt mixture as a "scouring pad", it will do the trick for a thorough cleaning every 2nd month or so. Again, dry immediately after washing away the "scouring pad".

I got a great one at a thrift store. Only $10, and it is fan tas tic!!

Ebay is the best place to find one that is old and seasoned

I have a Lodge one I bought a few years ago that I like well enough plus I have my great grandfather's ones (those babies are seasoned lol)

Flea markets for sure!!! My mom has a few and I'm pretty sure she's gotten all of them at flea markets - not only are they way cheap, but they're already super seasoned. Win!

I got one at the local agriculture supply store. To season it, you grease it well and put it in the oven at a very low temperature for 3 -6 hours. You never use soap on it or you will have to repeat the process all over again.

1. Where can I find a used cast iron for my friend?

You can find used cast iron pans at various places such as thrift stores, garage sales, online marketplaces like eBay or Facebook Marketplace, and even antique shops.

2. Are there any specific places that specialize in selling used cast iron?

Yes, some kitchen supply stores or specialty cookware stores may carry a selection of used cast iron pans. You can also check out local flea markets or farmer's markets for vendors who sell used kitchen items.

3. Is it safe to buy a used cast iron for cooking?

Yes, as long as the cast iron pan is properly cleaned and seasoned, it is safe to use for cooking. Make sure to thoroughly scrub the pan with hot water and soap before using it, and then season it with a thin layer of oil before cooking.

4. How can I tell if a used cast iron is in good condition?

Inspect the cast iron pan for any cracks, rust, or significant damage. It is normal for a used cast iron to have some minor surface rust, which can be easily cleaned off with steel wool and re-seasoned. You can also ask the seller about the history of the pan and how it was cared for.

5. Are used cast iron pans cheaper than new ones?

In most cases, yes, used cast iron pans will be cheaper than new ones. However, the price may depend on the brand, size, and overall condition of the pan. It's always a good idea to compare prices and conditions of both new and used cast iron pans before making a purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kandi2candy
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
chefa
  • KellerCooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • footballchef