• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What worries me about Obama's policies?

In summary, Cathy does not like the idea of national healthcare because she does not think it is a good thing for the people or the country. She also does not think that unions, social programs, etc. have been successful in adjusting to the new needs. She also thinks that the lack of leadership experience is a problem.
nicci11 said:
She significantly cut funding for Special Needs children in her own state and now that she has a special needs child of her own is a champion of the cause??? - I'm not buying it!!! She can attend all the NRA rallies she wants to - I'm sure not going to be there!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to readdress this point:

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/sliming_palin.html

Please see the points on special needs funding.

Factcheck.org about me page: FactCheck.org: About FactCheck.org

In fairness to both sides:

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/sliming_obama.html

BethCooks4U said:
In fairness to both sides:

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/sliming_obama.html

I think that was why Janet provided the 2nd link. I have been reading info from both sides since she did.

My conclusion - it's all politics, and to say that one party does it more, or that the other party only does it in defense, is just false. They both do what they have to do to win, regardless.

This just helps get the facts out there about what is for real, and I appreciated it.

ChefBeckyD said:
I think that was why Janet provided the 2nd link. I have been reading info from both sides since she did. My conclusion - it's all politics, and to say that one party does it more, or that the other party only does it in defense, is just false. They both do what they have to do to win, regardless.This just helps get the facts out there about what is for real, and I appreciated it.
Exactly Becky......and this thread is "What scares me about Obama" so I can state "What scares me about Obama" - that is the topic of the thread. If we want to debate all the slime back and forth we can start a sliming each other which I hope DOES NOT start.There was a specific comment brought up on this thread instead of the Palin one stating a false accusation of Palin, that this non-partisan organization denies so in all fairness to that statement, I was countering it with FACTS that have been researched by a non-partisan group.I did not say there weren't false rumors on each side. Each party has schmucks just as life tosses us all sorts. There is no rule to be Republican or Democrat that you have to be honest or a sleezeball for that matter. We have a free country. The only problem is when people generalize the entire group as a whole.What really strikes me as funny is comments how someone will not vote for McCain because they think he is a" Republican". Yes, he is running on the Republican ticked, but he is as far to the left as most Republicans come. He was NOT my first choice, or even my 5th for the nomination, but he got it. Of the two candidates, I have to pick who is the better for me. ...and once again, I really can't agree with Obama and don't think he is the man for the job. If he wins, I will definitely be praying for the man daily!!!!

Last edited:
ChefBeckyD said:
I think that was why Janet provided the 2nd link. I have been reading info from both sides since she did. My conclusion - it's all politics, and to say that one party does it more, or that the other party only does it in defense, is just false. They both do what they have to do to win, regardless.This just helps get the facts out there about what is for real, and I appreciated it.
Not directly but I did read both sides and I encourage people to also....and we have to remember this isn't a SIDE THING! Not all these rumors in the internet world are triggered from either party's source...many are people out there spreading rumors.What bugs me is when it is a political COMMERCIAL saying, "I am Candidate X, and I approve this message"...and it is wrong.

For eight years, we've been hearing that President Bush is a moron for mispronouncing a certain word, or he's an idiot for stumbling over his words.In the last eight weeks of the campaign, Barack Obama has made more misstatements, massacred words and said just plain dumb things when he gets off the Teleprompter, but we've supposed to believe he's some kind of refreshing genius.Well, Mr. Obama, you can put lipstick on the governor of Alaska, and she's still the governor of Alaska.

janetupnorth said:
Exactly Becky...

...and this thread is "What scares me about Obama" so I can state "What scares me about Obama" - that is the topic of the thread.

If we want to debate all the slime back and forth we can start a sliming each other which I hope DOES NOT start.

There was a specific comment brought up on this thread instead of the Palin one stating a false accusation of Palin, that this non-partisan organization denies so in all fairness to that statement, I was countering it with FACTS that have been researched by a non-partisan group.

I did not say there weren't false rumors on each side. Each party has schmucks just as life tosses us all sorts. There is no rule to be Republican or Democrat that you have to be honest or a sleezeball for that matter. We have a free country. The only problem is when people generalize the entire group as a whole.

What really strikes me as funny is comments how someone will not vote for McCain because they think he is a" Republican". Yes, he is running on the Republican ticked, but he is as far to the left as most Republicans come. He was NOT my first choice, or even my 5th for the nomination, but he got it. Of the two candidates, I have to pick who is the better for me. ...and once again, I really can't agree with Obama and don't think he is the man for the job. If he wins, I will definitely be praying for the man daily!!!!

Out of curiosity, what would you be praying about on behalf of Obama?

Hathery said:

Safety, leadership of the country, family time, wisdom and God's protection to name a few.

The same things I would pray for if a Republican was president.

In today's society, people are so quick to demean a position if they don't like the person.

I am sick and tired of Bush being called a moron, an idiot, whatever. He is now the current President of the United States. He may not have your personal respect but he has positional authority. Respect your country, respect the flag and respect the position he was ELECTED TO!!!!

Hathery said:

Not Janet, but I would pray for him the same way that I would pray for any elected leader. As followers of Christ, we are called to pray for those in authority.

I would pray that God would give him wisdom and understanding to lead the country, and that he would be open to the leading of God as he governs. I would pray that God would protect him, and that he would be surrounded by people and counselors who would help him lead according to God's Will.

It's cool to see that you would both pray for the same things, regardless of what side of the fence you're on. :)

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2008/09/05/us-magazine-hit-hard-canceling-subscribers-after-palin-attack

You can wrap misstatements in the pages of Us Magazine and they'll still smell, no matter how much the pages of Us Magazine smell on their own.

I've been reading this thread since it started, and have enjoyed every minute. I would like to pipe up with this....

Why is it that Obama will not accept McCain's offer to have a debate where the questions are not known in advance?

And one more thing.....if I hear one more time the radio ad that McCain wants to revoke Roe v Wade I'm going to scream! Let's be honest - the president has nothing to do with that - it's the supreme court. I wish Obama would get his fact straight before playing that damn ad over and over and over again.

ltkacz said:
I've been reading this thread since it started, and have enjoyed every minute. I would like to pipe up with this....

Why is it that Obama will not accept McCain's offer to have a debate where the questions are not known in advance?

And one more thing.....if I hear one more time the radio ad that McCain wants to revoke Roe v Wade I'm going to scream! Let's be honest - the president has nothing to do with that - it's the supreme court. I wish Obama would get his fact straight before playing that damn ad over and over and over again.

Let's not start a debate about the ads. I have seen a LOT of McCain adds that have a lot of mistruths and skewed information too. McCain has said he will pack the Supreme Court with judges that would vote against Roe v Wade and that's where that idea is coming from.

As far as debates are concerned, they're coming. Did you ever think that when McCain said he wanted weekly town halls that it would make Obama limit his choices of where HE thought he should be to campaign and it would have looked like McCain was running Obama's campaign too. Oh, and McCain is reading most of his speeches too and fumbles when he gets off the written script just as much.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2008/09/05/us-magazine-hit-hard-canceling-subscribers-after-palin-attack

You can wrap misstatements in the pages of Us Magazine and they'll still smell, no matter how much the pages of Us Magazine smell on their own.

I saw that magazine when I went grocery shopping last weekend and I could hardly believe it. I am by no means a Palin fan, but even I thought that magazine was totally crossing a line.

BethCooks4U said:
Those were comments that Biden made in the heat of the primaries when HE was running for president.

True but it raises the question...was he lying then or is he lying now? ALL candidates running for ANY office need to watch what they say because your words will come back to bite you sooner or later.

I'm sure that each candidate has said things they wish they could take back...whether it was something that they've changed their opinion on or believe but wish they wouldn't have spoken aloud. (I've been guilty of the later many times.... :) )

Reminds me of a little song I sang as a kid...."Oh be careful little mouths what you say..."

My argument is - what's wrong with NOT knowing what the question is until it actually asked - like a TRUE debate. I would love to have this on both ends, and strongly believe this is the way it would be.

As far as Roe v Wade goes....lets be honest here.....there's no way in heck that they will ever overturn this. Just isn't going to happen - period. What are we going to go to back alley-rouge doctor way of doing things in regards to that - I don't thinks so. We have bigger "fish to fry" with our problems in our country.

ltkacz said:
My argument is - what's wrong with NOT knowing what the question is until it actually asked - like a TRUE debate. I would love to have this on both ends, and strongly believe this is the way it would be.

As far as Roe v Wade goes....lets be honest here.....there's no way in heck that they will ever overturn this. Just isn't going to happen - period. What are we going to go to back alley-rouge doctor way of doing things in regards to that - I don't thinks so. We have bigger "fish to fry" with our problems in our country.

I totally agree with you on this and that is why I can in good conscience vote for Obama. My beliefs on abortion are exactly the same as Palin's are. But I am not voting on that issue. Obama understands it won't change and he offers education to cut down on the number of abortions - that is reasonable thinking. The McCain side makes it sould like they will change the law and we all know that won't happen.

Liz- very good points! :) Just wanted to chime in and let you know that... :)

Im off to go put lipstick on my pig---oops, er... I meant I'm off to go put lipstick on me... Hee-hee

janetupnorth said:
Ok, this is what scares me about Obama...IN HIS OWN WORDS...

YouTube - Re: Obama Admits Muslim Faith

Oops...a little slip...he tried to cover by the words, "My Muslim Faith" were all too natural...

Not that I'm "against" other religions, the point is stand up for what you believe don't lie about it. We have many people on here that aren't "Christians" or "Christ-based" religions. They don't lie and say they are something else. They say what they believe.

To be honest Janet, I disagree with you on this one - the slip I mean. It seems TO ME that when he said, "John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith", it was meant with the words "Muslim faith" in quotes, meaning his "supposed Muslim faith". I would back this up with the fact that when he was "corrected" by the interviewer (George Steph.?) that he meant to say "my Christian faith" he did NOT agree, say "oops" and try to "cover up the slip". Instead he just clarified what he said (and reinforced that it was NOT a slip) by instead saying (about McCain), and I quote, "he hasn't suggested that I'm Muslim".

Of course neither you or I can prove ourselves to be right :) but I just don't like the whole "Obama is a secret Muslim" rumor going around, unless there is proof (Anymore than I'd like rumors about McCAin or Palin). As much as I don't like what I have heard about the church he attended (and what it says about him that he went there), what he HAS actually said about his faith seems pretty straightforward - that he is a Christian. And again, I could be completely wrong in belief that that is true!

I do however agree 100% with your last point, about standing up for what ever it IS you believe.

And for the record (this is not aimed at you Janet! :)), I can't vote, but if I could I'd be voting McCain/Palin. I consider myself neither Republican or Democrat, dislike policies on both sides, but certainly lean right. I am an evangelical Christian and I am 100% pro-life :).

AnnieBee said:
To be honest Janet, I disagree with you on this one - the slip I mean. It seems TO ME that when he said, "John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith", it was meant with the words "Muslim faith" in quotes, meaning his "supposed Muslim faith". I would back this up with the fact that when he was "corrected" by the interviewer (George Steph.?) that he meant to say "my Christian faith" he did NOT agree, say "oops" and try to "cover up the slip". Instead he just clarified what he said (and reinforced that it was NOT a slip) by instead saying (about McCain), and I quote, "he hasn't suggested that I'm Muslim".

Of course neither you or I can prove ourselves to be right :) but I just don't like the whole "Obama is a secret Muslim" rumor going around, unless there is proof (Anymore than I'd like rumors about McCAin or Palin). As much as I don't like what I have heard about the church he attended (and what it says about him that he went there), what he HAS actually said about his faith seems pretty straightforward - that he is a Christian. And again, I could be completely wrong in belief that that is true!

I do however agree 100% with your last point, about standing up for what ever it IS you believe.

And for the record (this is not aimed at you Janet! :)), I can't vote, but if I could I'd be voting McCain/Palin. I consider myself neither Republican or Democrat, dislike policies on both sides, but certainly lean right. I am an evangelical Christian and I am 100% pro-life :).

Hey no offense taken. I'm not convinced he is a Muslim, but I don't believe he denies all his heritage either.

I'd love to sit down and have a good chat with him over a lie detector though and know where he TRULY stands.

I think he did slip in his words and what he was trying to say overall. He could have worded it in a different manner.

...and for the record, I do not like those "secret Muslim" e-mails either. They weren't from McCain, they were on the internet LONG ago and not based on true facts.ETA: The true problem though and why it is such a topic of debate isn't how American's view him but other countries. The topic of religion causes quite a debate elsewhere. From what I've understand and read of the religion, it is passed from father to son and the fact that his father named him Hussein passes it on. Whether or not he ever got into it is irrelevant in the Muslim world...he is a Muslim by birth and by not following it...well, they have their own rules on that. I fear that point can cause quite a bit of turmoil for him if elected for his safety and for relations overseas. It is definitely a two-edged sword. The fact that a parent listed it as his religion for school adds fuel to their fires.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images/ObamaIndonesia.jpgNote for those arguing, I KNOW this does not make him Muslim, I don't believe it does, I'm just pointing out that it causes issues in a religion that is much more devout that we are used to.It also doesn't help him that Louis Farrakhan supports him as the "hope of the entire world" and his campaign is "powered by hope".

Last edited:
janetupnorth said:
It also doesn't help him that Louis Farrakhan supports him as the "hope of the entire world" and his campaign is "powered by hope".

Doesn't seem like a good idea to put all your hope into one person, does it? That's a lot of pressure!! :eek:

Hathery said:
Doesn't seem like a good idea to put all your hope into one person, does it? That's a lot of pressure!! :eek:

Only when your hope goes into the TRUE Savior of the world, but there we go combining religion and politics. ;)

janetupnorth said:
...and for the record, I do not like those "secret Muslim" e-mails either. They weren't from McCain, they were on the internet LONG ago and not based on true facts.

ETA: The true problem though and why it is such a topic of debate isn't how American's view him but other countries. The topic of religion causes quite a debate elsewhere. From what I've understand and read of the religion, it is passed from father to son and the fact that his father named him Hussein passes it on. Whether or not he ever got into it is irrelevant in the Muslim world...he is a Muslim by birth and by not following it...well, they have their own rules on that. I fear that point can cause quite a bit of turmoil for him if elected for his safety and for relations overseas. It is definitely a two-edged sword. The fact that a parent listed it as his religion for school adds fuel to their fires.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images/ObamaIndonesia.jpg

Note for those arguing, I KNOW this does not make him Muslim, I don't believe it does, I'm just pointing out that it causes issues in a religion that is much more devout that we are used to.

It also doesn't help him that Louis Farrakhan supports him as the "hope of the entire world" and his campaign is "powered by hope".

WOW! Janet, this is a really good point! I don't think it had yet to cross my mind how other countries would view Obama as the "muslim leader" of the USA....I KNOW he says he isn't Muslim....I'm OK with that. But think about what Middle Eastern countries will think if he gets into the oval office. THAT scares the bejeebers out of me...for my safety as well as his.

One more point~after catching up on 5 pages of this thread, I can't remember who said that Biden had said some not so nice things about Obama, and I just had to crack up! Do politicians, of any political party, think that we are so stupid we cannot see through the veiled lies they tell about each other? Who really knows what Biden thinks of anybody except Biden............

What scares me about Obama and most liberal politicians is that they not only advocate abortion whether they personally believe in it or not, but they think our tax dollars should be paying for it. I believe abortion is murdering an innocent child. I'd rather put my taxes for welfare of irresponsible parents who shouldn't be having babies than pay for murdering preborn babies.

JAE said:
What scares me about Obama and most liberal politicians is that they not only advocate abortion whether they personally believe in it or not, but they think our tax dollars should be paying for it. I believe abortion is murdering an innocent child. I'd rather put my taxes for welfare of irresponsible parents who shouldn't be having babies than pay for murdering preborn babies.

I'll take your tax money, JAE--- :) I have some medical bills that need to be paid! :)

Janet- I have read or else heard on the radio that even if Obama says he isn't muslim- and whether he was or not---the devout muslim believers would say that once a muslim, always a muslim, and he might get assasinated for betraying his religion. Even though it was his step father whose religion was represented on his school administration papers...which was common back then. They might not see it that way, and he may be the target of attacks... or the US would be for allowing an infedel to be in office...

I'm just sharing what I either read or heard someone talk about on the radio and they had so many good and valid points. I wish I would have paid better attention, or taken some notes...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well, Mr. Obama, you can put lipstick on the governor of Alaska, and she's still the governor of Alaska.

Ha, this made me laugh:p

How To Save the Government $5 Million

A president's pension currently is $191,300 per year, until he is 80 years old.

Assuming the next president lives to age 80, Sen. McCain would receive ZERO
pension as he would reach 80 at the end of two terms as president. Sen. Obama
would be retired for 26 years after two terms and would receive $4,973,800 in
pension.

Therefore it would certainly make economic sense to elect McCain in November.

How's that for non partisan thinking???

PamperedCaniac said:

A president's pension currently is $191,300 per year, until he is 80 years old.

Assuming the next president lives to age 80, Sen. McCain would receive ZERO
pension as he would reach 80 at the end of two terms as president. Sen. Obama
would be retired for 26 years after two terms and would receive $4,973,800 in
pension.

Therefore it would certainly make economic sense to elect McCain in November.

How's that for non partisan thinking???

Ha! That's great! I'm going to share with my husband :)

JAE said:

That's true about abortion, but unfortunately many conservative politicians do not believe in welfare. So even if you do vote conservative b/c of the abortion issue, then you're likely voting for someone who disagrees with supporting econonically struggling families via the welfare system.

Hathery said:
That's true about abortion, but unfortunately many conservative politicians do not believe in welfare. So even if you do vote conservative b/c of the abortion issue, then you're likely voting for someone who disagrees with supporting econonically struggling families via the welfare system.
It's not that I support the welfare system as it currently stands. I would just rather support welfare than murdering preborn babies.

I suggest we all look at the issues and decide what is important to us personally. Look at all the issues and see where each candidate is on them and what they offer. If we find that we are voting on one or two issues (like abortion) but we find that other than that issue we really would support the ideas of the other party then vote for the one that speaks to you about MOST things and join together to make them hear us on the other issues.

We are a great country but we do not and could never expect to agree on everything. But we are blessed to have the right to let our voices be heard. So don't let just one issue sway your vote. Look at the total picture and then decide. Never give up on your values but don't go blindly just because of that one issue.

Personally, I voted Republican in the past. In fact I voted for Bush when Gore stated something about his position on abortion. That was it, there was no way he'd get my vote (I STILL believe exactly as Palin does on this issue by the way). Well, in retrospect, I wish I had realized that the issue wouldn't even get a second look throughout the time Bush was in office. It is not going to be overturned. And would we want it to be, really? Do we want desperate girls to go to hacks and lose their chance of having a baby later or lose their own life because we said that reputable doctors would be prosecuted for doing abortions? I don't want my tax dollars to pay for them either but if we don't make them a crime at least we can protect and help those women who are THAT desperate. I have been a nurse in psych wards and have taken care of women who were in there just because of all the guilt they now have because of an abortion. Let's find ways to provide education to prevent unwanted pregnancies and ways to counsel those who do have unwanted pregnancies and ways to make it acceptable to give that baby up for adoption.

Here is a recent article from ABC news I found interesting:September 10, 2008 5:17 PMABC News' Matthew Jaffe reports: Sen. Barack Obama's, D-Ill., vice presidential nominee, Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., Wednesday said that Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., might have been a better pick for the position than him.At a rally in Nashua, N.H., a man in the audience told Biden how glad he was that Obama picked him over Hillary, "not because she's a woman, but because, look at the things she did in the past.""Make no mistake about this," Biden responded. "Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America. Let’s get that straight. She’s a truly close personal friend, she is qualified to be president of the United States of America, she’s easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America, and quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me. But she’s first rate, I mean that sincerely, she’s first rate, so let’s get that straight."Spokesman Ben Porritt offered this response from the McCain camp: "Barack Obama’s most important decision of this election, and Biden -- the candidate he selects -- suggests, himself, that he wasn’t the right man for the job, and that Hillary Clinton would have been a better choice. Biden certainly has a credible viewpoint on this."

janetupnorth said:
Here is a recent article from ABC news I found interesting:

September 10, 2008 5:17 PM

ABC News' Matthew Jaffe reports: Sen. Barack Obama's, D-Ill., vice presidential nominee, Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., Wednesday said that Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., might have been a better pick for the position than him.

At a rally in Nashua, N.H., a man in the audience told Biden how glad he was that Obama picked him over Hillary, "not because she's a woman, but because, look at the things she did in the past."

"Make no mistake about this," Biden responded. "Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America. Let’s get that straight. She’s a truly close personal friend, she is qualified to be president of the United States of America, she’s easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America, and quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me. But she’s first rate, I mean that sincerely, she’s first rate, so let’s get that straight."

Spokesman Ben Porritt offered this response from the McCain camp: "Barack Obama’s most important decision of this election, and Biden -- the candidate he selects -- suggests, himself, that he wasn’t the right man for the job, and that Hillary Clinton would have been a better choice. Biden certainly has a credible viewpoint on this."
Yeah, well. Biden was defending Hillary and was probably trying to say that she would be better than Palin. I don't put any weight on this. And I knew it would get an uproar. Everything the dems say gets a reaction from McCain's pit bulls.

Personally, had he picked Hillary I would not have voted for him. I will never vote for her. I wouldn't have voted for McCain either I don't think - it would have been a dilema: vote for a man I totally don't believe in or trust or not vote. Thankfully I don't have to make that decision.

janetupnorth said:
Here is a recent article from ABC news I found interesting:

September 10, 2008 5:17 PM

ABC News' Matthew Jaffe reports: Sen. Barack Obama's, D-Ill., vice presidential nominee, Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., Wednesday said that Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., might have been a better pick for the position than him.

At a rally in Nashua, N.H., a man in the audience told Biden how glad he was that Obama picked him over Hillary, "not because she's a woman, but because, look at the things she did in the past."

"Make no mistake about this," Biden responded. "Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America. Let’s get that straight. She’s a truly close personal friend, she is qualified to be president of the United States of America, she’s easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America, and quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me. But she’s first rate, I mean that sincerely, she’s first rate, so let’s get that straight."

Spokesman Ben Porritt offered this response from the McCain camp: "Barack Obama’s most important decision of this election, and Biden -- the candidate he selects -- suggests, himself, that he wasn’t the right man for the job, and that Hillary Clinton would have been a better choice. Biden certainly has a credible viewpoint on this."

I actually SAW this on the news this morning...he said it, and he wasn't really "defending" Hilary, he was giving her accolades. There was a brief pause when he said it, like he knew what he was going to say, but he said it anyway. I have seen quite a bit about him second guessing his own choice for accepting the VP nod. I wonder if he is really regretting it now.

ltkacz said:

Isn't there a really strong probability that the next President will appoint 2 Supreme Court Justices? As such, he will have the power to over turn Roe v Wade by appointing people who are so inclined.

That said, I am pro-life. I also must say I find Palin a little right-wing for my comfort (& I am a fairly conservative girl). Obama clarified his statement from the Saddleback interview, stating that he meant to say that he would never be so arrogant (pfft) as to declare when a soul enters a being. (I think someone also posted a link to his clarification.)

I am not an Obama fan. I like McCain (though not so much his economic policies). I think I'd have to vote 3rd party if I was on your side of the border.

I do think, though, that for this election the VP choices are more important than at any other time in recent history. In part b/c McCain is older than any other 1st term President (should he be elected) & b/c I really think Obama is a HUGE assassination risk, given that he is viewed as such a beacon of hope & change.

I am still confused by both VP picks, as each candidate chose someone who represents their primary critique of their opponent (lack of experience & old school Washington insiders).

Now, if I could only decide who to vote for in OUR election.... you'll notice the Cdn election thread is seriously lacking in passion, interest, etc.

BethCooks4U said:
Yeah, well. Biden was defending Hillary and was probably trying to say that she would be better than Palin. I don't put any weight on this. And I knew it would get an uproar. Everything the dems say gets a reaction from McCain's pit bulls.

Personally, had he picked Hillary I would not have voted for him. I will never vote for her. I wouldn't have voted for McCain either I don't think - it would have been a dilema: vote for a man I totally don't believe in or trust or not vote. Thankfully I don't have to make that decision.

Didn't get an uproar until this post. It was just a citation of an article.

peichef said:
I do think, though, that for this election the VP choices are more important than at any other time in recent history. In part b/c McCain is older than any other 1st term President (should he be elected) & b/c I really think Obama is a HUGE assassination risk, given that he is viewed as such a beacon of hope & change.

Interesting statistic - of those presidents whose parties were just Republican or Democrat and are deceased, the average lifespan of the Republicans is 67.85 years and of the Democrats is 41.23 years.

On age stats alone, a Republican has a better chance of surviving the White House. :rolleyes:

janetupnorth said:
Interesting statistic - of those presidents whose parties were just Republican or Democrat and are deceased, the average lifespan of the Republicans is 67.85 years and of the Democrats is 41.23 years.

On age stats alone, a Republican has a better chance of surviving the White House. :rolleyes:

too funny! I have heard MANY times that, if elected, McCain would be the oldest President sworn in to a first term.(Reagan was older than McCain is now when sworn in to his 2nd term.)

My name is Charity & I am obsessed with politics. The first step is admitting it :)

Yes, Ronald Reagan was 69 when sworn into his first term. Theodore Roosevelt was the youngest at age 42.

janetupnorth said:
Yes, Ronald Reagan was 69 when sworn into his first term. Theodore Roosevelt was the youngest at age 42.

I THOUGHT Reagan was pretty old, but I am too lazy to look it up!
I wonder if there was as much hubbub about it then...and that was in 1980! There have been great advancements in mortality since then!

janetupnorth said:

That is completely hilarious

chefsteph07 said:
I THOUGHT Reagan was pretty old, but I am too lazy to look it up!
I wonder if there was as much hubbub about it then...and that was in 1980! There have been great advancements in mortality since then!

McCain looks and acts older than Reagan ever did. Maybe that's why it's such an "issue".

BethCooks4U said:
I suggest we all look at the issues and decide what is important to us personally. Look at all the issues and see where each candidate is on them and what they offer. If we find that we are voting on one or two issues (like abortion) but we find that other than that issue we really would support the ideas of the other party then vote for the one that speaks to you about MOST things and join together to make them hear us on the other issues.

We are a great country but we do not and could never expect to agree on everything. But we are blessed to have the right to let our voices be heard. So don't let just one issue sway your vote. Look at the total picture and then decide. Never give up on your values but don't go blindly just because of that one issue.

Personally, I voted Republican in the past. In fact I voted for Bush when Gore stated something about his position on abortion. That was it, there was no way he'd get my vote (I STILL believe exactly as Palin does on this issue by the way). Well, in retrospect, I wish I had realized that the issue wouldn't even get a second look throughout the time Bush was in office. It is not going to be overturned. And would we want it to be, really? Do we want desperate girls to go to hacks and lose their chance of having a baby later or lose their own life because we said that reputable doctors would be prosecuted for doing abortions? I don't want my tax dollars to pay for them either but if we don't make them a crime at least we can protect and help those women who are THAT desperate. I have been a nurse in psych wards and have taken care of women who were in there just because of all the guilt they now have because of an abortion. Let's find ways to provide education to prevent unwanted pregnancies and ways to counsel those who do have unwanted pregnancies and ways to make it acceptable to give that baby up for adoption.
Not sure if this was directed at my post or not. But if it was, I repeat that I don't agree with nearly any of Obama's political positions. I posted something - one thing - that scares me about Obama.

JAE said:
Not sure if this was directed at my post or not. But if it was, I repeat that I don't agree with nearly any of Obama's political positions. I posted something - one thing - that scares me about Obama.

No Jae, it had nothing to do with your post. It was an observation and opinion I was making.

BethCooks4U said:

Just wanted to say this is a great post; couldn't agree with you more :thumbup:

I will NEVER understand one-issue voting.

...and I will NEVER understand one-characteristic to form an opinion.Disclaimer: Not directed at anyone personally...just see a lot of it in society.

janetupnorth said:
...and I will NEVER understand one-characteristic to form an opinion.

Disclaimer: Not directed at anyone personally...just see a lot of it in society.

What do you mean?

BethCooks4U said:
McCain looks and acts older than Reagan ever did. Maybe that's why it's such an "issue".

Do you think it might have anything to do with the YEARS OF TORTURE he went through???

<h2>1. National Health Care</h2><p>Many people have concerns about Obama's policy on national health care. Some worry that it will lead to long wait times, like in other countries with similar systems, and that it may not be as effective as the current healthcare system.</p><h2>2. Foreign Policy</h2><p>Another worry is about Obama's foreign policy. Some individuals have family members in the military and are concerned about the safety of their loved ones. They may also question the decision to withdraw troops from certain areas without a clear plan for their safety.</p><h2>3. Lack of Specifics</h2><p>Some people have noticed that when Obama speaks, he often lacks specifics in his plans and ideas. This was also a concern during his previous campaigns. Without concrete details, it can be difficult to fully understand his policies and their potential impact.</p><h2>4. Unions, Social Programs, and the Middle Class</h2><p>There are concerns about Obama's focus on unions, social programs, and the middle class. Some feel that he is not truly representative of the middle class since he has been financially successful. There are also concerns about the effectiveness and sustainability of unions and social programs, as well as potential abuse of these systems.</p><h2>Conclusion</h2><p>Overall, there are many worries about Obama's policies, ranging from healthcare to foreign policy to the middle class. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects of his policies before forming an opinion or making a decision at the polls.</p>

Related to What worries me about Obama's policies?

1. National Health Care

Many people have concerns about Obama's policy on national health care. Some worry that it will lead to long wait times, like in other countries with similar systems, and that it may not be as effective as the current healthcare system.

2. Foreign Policy

Another worry is about Obama's foreign policy. Some individuals have family members in the military and are concerned about the safety of their loved ones. They may also question the decision to withdraw troops from certain areas without a clear plan for their safety.

3. Lack of Specifics

Some people have noticed that when Obama speaks, he often lacks specifics in his plans and ideas. This was also a concern during his previous campaigns. Without concrete details, it can be difficult to fully understand his policies and their potential impact.

4. Unions, Social Programs, and the Middle Class

There are concerns about Obama's focus on unions, social programs, and the middle class. Some feel that he is not truly representative of the middle class since he has been financially successful. There are also concerns about the effectiveness and sustainability of unions and social programs, as well as potential abuse of these systems.

Conclusion

Overall, there are many worries about Obama's policies, ranging from healthcare to foreign policy to the middle class. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects of his policies before forming an opinion or making a decision at the polls.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • schel
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
angmillar
Replies