• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What worries me about Obama's policies?

In summary, Cathy does not like the idea of national healthcare because she does not think it is a good thing for the people or the country. She also does not think that unions, social programs, etc. have been successful in adjusting to the new needs. She also thinks that the lack of leadership experience is a problem.
Hathery said:
I agree--it is their job to be informed. But if you think about how many issues cross their desk, it is only prudent to become informed on the ones that matter to your constituents.

Every piece of legislation that comes up before the elected houses matters to me as a constituent. That's why we elect them, to handle all those things. An uninformed legislator is not doing their job.

I want my elected officials to be paying attention, and if they're not, next election OUT THEY GO!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Every piece of legislation that comes up before the elected houses matters to me as a constituent. That's why we elect them, to handle all those things. An uninformed legislator is not doing their job.

I want my elected officials to be paying attention, and if they're not, next election OUT THEY GO!

Well clearly that isn't how it works. Look at all the people who voted "yes" to the Patriot Act.

JAE said:
What religious beliefs? Isn't "Thou shall not murder," a religious belief? What about giving to the poor? Isn't that a religious belief?

Just for an example, give me an exact belief that is being pushed into politics by one of the lobbying groups that you mentioned.

Didn't I just explain this a few comments ago? The abortion issue and the anti-homosexual issue are the few that come up most prevalently.

ChefBeckyD said:
Hathery said:
I wasn't referring to a candidate. I was referring to people in general who lobby to politicians based on personal religious views.

Obama has disassociated himself from those comments. I don't think you need to worry about it.[
/QUOTE]
I do worry about it. He disassociated himself from it after the fact, and after it all came out publicly.

He sat under that Pastor's teaching for 20 years. I find it hard to believe that in all that time, he was completely oblivious to what was being taught - or that it was only taught at times when he wasn't there.

If I was attending a church that I felt wasn't teaching what was in line with my beliefs, I would be gone - I wouldn't hang around for 20 years.

Fair enough!

Hathery said:
No, I get it. I just think it was unfair to generalize how Democrats feel about Christianity.

JAE said:
Yes, it definitely was a very foolish remark. Funny how Jesus will be brought in by Dems right when they think they need him. But otherwise, Jesus must stay out of public arenas.

Hathery said:
Obama mentions his Christian faith often. He just doesn't believe in imposing it on others through policy.

So then explain to me why you can take Obama for his word, but you cannot take Senator McCain, or any other conservative or republican for that matter at their word?

Last edited:
Hathery said:
They are religious lobby groups. The push religious issues (abortion, homosexuality, etc.) into politics.

That's fine if you agree with some of their beliefs, but many people don't. That's why religion is a personal choice, not a political issue. Many homosexuals would not agree with the "moral compass" some of these groups have, for example.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but isn't abortion an issue in politics because it is being paid for with taxpayer money? And isn't homosexuality an issue in politics because those that are homosexual want "rights" like other married couples, which include things like welfare which is government funded???

Hathery said:
Well clearly that isn't how it works. Look at all the people who voted "yes" to the Patriot Act.

I wish I could vote for ALL of them.

chefmeg said:
I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but isn't abortion an issue in politics because it is being paid for with taxpayer money? And isn't homosexuality an issue in politics because those that are homosexual want "rights" like other married couples, which include things like welfare which is government funded???

I believe those issues are certainly part of it, but not all of it.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I wish I could vote for ALL of them.

You wish you could vote for everyone that voted "yes" to the Patriot Act? :confused:

Kitchen Diva said:
So then explain to me why you can take Obama for his word, but you cannot take Senator McCain, or any other conservative or republican for that matter at their word?

Who said I don't take them at their word? I don't recall saying that.

In 2006, Obama voted with Bush 49% of the time. Hmm...maybe Bush isn't so wrong after all to them...

janetupnorth said:
In 2006, Obama voted with Bush 49% of the time. Hmm...maybe Bush isn't so wrong after all to them...

Because he voted with him less than half of the time? That's not exactly a startling statistic.

Hathery said:
Because he voted with him less than half of the time? That's not exactly a startling statistic.

I have to disagree~it is if you are touting "change". It makes me think "change from what?" when I see this statistic.

How could he not have voted w/ Bush at least some of the time? I disagree w/ Bush on a lot of things, but even I don't disagree with him 100% of the time.

Hathery said:
How could he not have voted w/ Bush at least some of the time? I disagree w/ Bush on a lot of things, but even I don't disagree with him 100% of the time.

Now THAT surprises me.............

Barack Obama on ABC's Good Morning America! this morning...When asked about his ad that attacks John McCain for not being able to use a computer and that he has never sent an email...in part of his reply, he said:
"If we're going to ask questions about, you know, who has been promulgating negative ads that are completely unrelated to the issues at hand, I think I win that contest pretty handily."
Yup - one of the few things where I've agreed with you, Barry.By the way...John McCain is physically unable to use a keyboard, which is the real reason he has never sent an email. In his own words, John McCain said, "I have people who do that for me."

He's a real winner. Those who are voting for him, I hope you are happy if he is elected and we get our asses attacked for it.

chefsteph07 said:
He's a real winner. Those who are voting for him, I hope you are happy if he is elected and we get our asses attacked for it.
I don't want Obama to win, but even if he does, I certainly don't hope we get attacked. I don't trust his policies, but I would never wish attacks on the USA.

I never said I HOPED we get attacked, I said I hope those who elect him are happy if/when it happens because he's going to be so lax.Happy Happy Joy Joy.

Re: Actions speak louder than words
The_Kitchen_Guy said:

WOW! Not that I am surprised but still I am not numb to insensitivity and being cruel no matter how many times I see it.

Debbie :D

Don't tell me you guys actually fall for garbage like that? So much of that *junk* is going around...emails showing Obama not holding his hand over his heart during the national anthem (just because the photographer happened to snap the photo at the right time), misunderstandings of a speech making people say Obama is a closet-Muslim...it's heart-breaking to see intelligent Americans fall for utter propaganda.

How can you "snap a photo at the wrong time" during the national anthem? You either are having your hand over your heart or you are not.

If they took the picture before the song started or after it ended?? He could have been the first one to take his hand down, and they snapped it just then. There are plenty of other reasons not to put one's hand over their heart: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp

the video on that page clearly shows him not putting his hand over his heart in that instance. however, scroll down and he has his hand on his heart in alot of other pictures. & say he doesnt ever put his hand on his heart?? does that truely make him a bad american??

it also saddens me to think that people found obama's tossing of the flower insensitive & disrespectful. there is not one american who was not effected in one way or the other by sept 11th. and because he did not slowly stoop to lay a flower down, does not mean he was disrespecting anyone who was lost that day. there were flowers all over that memorial - so there were many other hundreds of people who "tossed" their flower. if obama & mccain had both tossed the flower in the exact same manner, nothing would have been said about them "both being insensative."

i am not saying i am voting for obama or for mccain - because truley (and this makes my bf insane) i have beliefs that fit into both liberal and conservative categories. and i try to stay out of all CS's political debates. but its almost offensive that we bring up petty differences between candidates - such as one instance of crossing the heart or tossing a flower - when there are so many more major issues at hand. i, for one, will not be voting based on a candidates flower placing techniques.

i very much respect everyones beliefs and opinions & i have learned alot just from reading threads such as janet's first post on this thread. :D this was not meant to offend. & im sorry if it did. :blushing:

thecougchef said:
the video on that page clearly shows him not putting his hand over his heart in that instance. however, scroll down and he has his hand on his heart in alot of other pictures. & say he doesnt ever put his hand on his heart?? does that truely make him a bad american??

it also saddens me to think that people found obama's tossing of the flower insensitive & disrespectful. there is not one american who was not effected in one way or the other by sept 11th. and because he did not slowly stoop to lay a flower down, does not mean he was disrespecting anyone who was lost that day. there were flowers all over that memorial - so there were many other hundreds of people who "tossed" their flower. if obama & mccain had both tossed the flower in the exact same manner, nothing would have been said about them "both being insensative."

i am not saying i am voting for obama or for mccain - because truley (and this makes my bf insane) i have beliefs that fit into both liberal and conservative categories. and i try to stay out of all CS's political debates. but its almost offensive that we bring up petty differences between candidates - such as one instance of crossing the heart or tossing a flower - when there are so many more major issues at hand. i, for one, will not be voting based on a candidates flower placing techniques.

i very much respect everyones beliefs and opinions & i have learned alot just from reading threads such as janet's first post on this thread. :D this was not meant to offend. & im sorry if it did. :blushing:

You made a lot of great points! I agree that insignificant, petty things should not be what our politics are based in. I wish the candidates would remember that sometimes, too! :rolleyes:

Hathery said:
Don't tell me you guys actually fall for garbage like that? So much of that *junk* is going around...emails showing Obama not holding his hand over his heart during the national anthem (just because the photographer happened to snap the photo at the right time), misunderstandings of a speech making people say Obama is a closet-Muslim...it's heart-breaking to see intelligent Americans fall for utter propaganda.

You mean, things like, John McCain is so out of touch he can't even use a computer? That sort of propaganda?

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Election2008/Default.aspx?id=254330

Hillary fundraiser labels Obama an 'elitist,' will back McCain
Jim Brown - OneNewsNow - 9/17/2008 1:30:00

A major Hillary Clinton fundraiser and member of the Democratic National Committee's Platform Committee is now backing Republican presidential nominee John McCain.

Lynn Forester was one of Clinton's "Hillraisers," people who collected at least $100,000 for Clinton's presidential campaign, but now she is throwing her support behind John McCain, not Barack Obama.

Forester -- CEO of a holding company with businesses around the world -- thinks Obama is arrogant and has a problem connecting with average Americans. This is what she had to say about the Democratic nominee recently on CNN.

"Frankly, I don't like him," she stated. "I feel like he's an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him."

Danta Scala, a political science professor at the University of New Hampshire, says the Forester endorsement highlights a larger problem for Obama -- connecting with middle-class white voters.

"We've seen that again and again during the primaries for the Democratic presidential nomination. We see it now in the national polls," he points out, "so there is some worry. Now, my guess is that most Hillary Clinton supporters like the one you mentioned -- wealthy Democrats -- [are] going to support Barack Obama, but the real worry for Obama is with working-class white voters in places like Pennsylvania and southern Ohio [and] Michigan."

Scala argues white middle-class voters are a key voting bloc that could go either way in this election, and one that Obama has to work hard to convince that his promises of change will amount to real material changes in their lives.

Does anyone else find it interesting (appalling, actually) that we now know far more about Sarah Palin and the so-called "Troopergate" than we know about Barack Obabma's relationships with terrorist http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/02/obamas_weatherman_connection.html and convicted felon, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/barackobama/2077135/Barack-Obama-ally-Tony-Rezko-convicted-of-corruption.html?

Incidentally, Troopergate should actually be called Tasergate, because the officer in question has admitted to using a Taser on Sarah Palin's 10 year old nephew - but you have to look awfully hard to find that fact.

There couldn't be any bias in the news media, could there? Do you think that maybe the Main Stream Media has already elected Obama? Nah, there couldn't be any media bias, could there? Those objective and professional journalists wouldn't let personal views taint their reports, would they?

puke.gif

VetsForFreedom.org

Maybe this is in response to the 60 Minutes story about the "controversy" surrounding the surge. Good for them. I hope anyone who wants to support our troops will go to this site, write a letter/send an e-mail to your state senators and reps and give money for more commercials. Call Obama, too, if you want.

C'mon KG... people are coming unglued over Gov. Palin being chosen as McCain's running mate.... if I were you, I'd sit back and watch the melt down on the left- In fact, I'm off to pop some corn now, and grab a soda... ;)

JAE said:
VetsForFreedom.org

Maybe this is in response to the 60 Minutes story about the "controversy" surrounding the surge. Good for them. I hope anyone who wants to support our troops will go to this site, write a letter/send an e-mail to your state senators and reps and give money for more commercials. Call Obama, too, if you want.

My step son was part of the surge---and he has said numerous times that the surge was just what was needed, and is successful! He even wants to go back! He's training to be a scout- which puts him across enemy lines and is said to be the only job you should sign up for if you have a death wish.

I know that he doesn't have a death wish- he just believes that deeply in his buddies, his leaders, and his country!

Let us know if he goes. I will keep him in my prayers.

Kitchen Diva said:
C'mon KG... people are coming unglued over Gov. Palin being chosen as McCain's running mate.... if I were you, I'd sit back and watch the melt down on the left- In fact, I'm off to pop some corn now, and grab a soda... ;)

HA HA HA!!

Debbie :D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You mean, things like, John McCain is so out of touch he can't even use a computer? That sort of propaganda?

John McCain CAN'T use a computer.

Hathery said:

why is this an issue? Who cares??

Hathery said:

He can't use a computer because of war injuries. It's the same as how he can't raise his hands above his head.

So you're right.

But that still shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe that is why he didn't "toss" his flowers.

fikibiff said:
Maybe that is why he didn't "toss" his flowers.

I doubt it

Hathery said:

:confused:There is a reason though and notice the date of the article (March 4, 2000)

From the Boston Globe (March 4, 2000):

McCain gets emotional at the mention of military families needing food stamps or veterans lacking health care. The outrage comes from inside: McCain's severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes. Friends marvel at McCain's encyclopedic knowledge of sports. He's an avid fan - Ted Williams is his hero - but he can't raise his arm above his shoulder to throw a baseball.

someday ill probably have arthritis or carpel tunnel from all of my years when i HAVE been using a computer & i will no longer be able to use a keyboard/mouse. but it wont make me any less knowledgable. this goes hand in hand with what i was saying before. its a mute issue that is rediculous to even discuss. there are bigger issues at hand people.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Does anyone else find it interesting (appalling, actually) that we now know far more about Sarah Palin and the so-called "Troopergate" than we know about Barack Obabma's relationships with terrorist http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/02/obamas_weatherman_connection.html and convicted felon, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/barackobama/2077135/Barack-Obama-ally-Tony-Rezko-convicted-of-corruption.html?

Incidentally, Troopergate should actually be called Tasergate, because the officer in question has admitted to using a Taser on Sarah Palin's 10 year old nephew - but you have to look awfully hard to find that fact.

There couldn't be any bias in the news media, could there? Do you think that maybe the Main Stream Media has already elected Obama? Nah, there couldn't be any media bias, could there? Those objective and professional journalists wouldn't let personal views taint their reports, would they?

puke.gif

unfortunately there is always media bias. however - i remember in 04 thinking the media had already elected john kerry....

I'm just saying - the "tossing of the flowers" is trivial. We can read any number of meanings into each and every action that either of them takes. How you - meaning anyone - interpret a video, a comment, a photo, a non-comment is fully influenced by your personal mindset and emotions at that exact moment. You can not read anyone else’s mind. Just like how we have discussed/flown off the handle about posts that come up here. How many times has what a person posted here been interpreted absolutely and completely WRONG from what they intended.

thecougchef said:
someday ill probably have arthritis or carpel tunnel from all of my years when i HAVE been using a computer & i will no longer be able to use a keyboard/mouse. but it wont make me any less knowledgable. this goes hand in hand with what i was saying before. its a mute issue that is rediculous to even discuss. there are bigger issues at hand people.

I agree, especially when his reason of not being ABLE to use a computer is because he was deffending our country. That is more than the others canidates can say.

fikibiff said:
I'm just saying - the "tossing of the flowers" is trivial. We can read any number of meanings into each and every action that either of them takes. How you - meaning anyone - interpret a video, a comment, a photo, a non-comment is fully influenced by your personal mindset and emotions at that exact moment. You can not read anyone else’s mind. Just like how we have discussed/flown off the handle about posts that come up here. How many times has what a person posted here been interpreted absolutely and completely WRONG from what they intended.

i agree. well said.
clap.gif

PamperedCaniac said:
I agree, especially when his reason of not being ABLE to use a computer is because he was deffending our country. That is more than the others canidates can say.

The fact that he chooses not to use a computer shouldn't really mater, but to say that he is "unable to use a computer" due to his injuries is absurd. That is just an excuse. Quadriplegics can use a computer. They have voice command technology and many other advancements that would allow him to use a computer just as easily as anyone else, just differently.

fikibiff said:
The fact that he chooses not to use a computer shouldn't really mater, but to say that he is "unable to use a computer" due to his injuries is absurd. That is just an excuse. Quadriplegics can use a computer. They have voice command technology and many other advancements that would allow him to use a computer just as easily as anyone else, just differently.

If he can write, he can use a computer. It takes just as much dexterity.

fikibiff said:

I do not think it is absurd at all that he can not use a computer, comb his hair, or tie his own shoes becuase of injuries protecting us. A computer does not make or break a man or woman and he has a caring wife and others to type and look things up for him. So he does not need voice command technology when he has others willing to help him out in MY opinion. I do not think comparing a Quadriplegic with John McCain is a fair comparrison (again in my opinion). The Obama campaign used that he can not use a computer in their ads which has nothing to do with running a country when he was a man that fought for our contry was my point though.... Again just my 2 cents though. :cool:

and writing is not the same dexterity as typing in my opinion either. 2 hands vs one hand, lifting fingers up and down vs holding them in one position. Trust me... I can type much better than write and my hand get so tired when I write so I am the exact opposite. LOL

Last edited:
Oh my God, seriously? Seriously?Is this really an issue? And, no, computing isn't the same as writing. Maybe using just one hand to type, sure, with body rotated, but the computer is/was supposed to be something to HELP. If it's not needed to help, why use it? Is he missing out? Should we have McCain and Obama have a typing competition and head-to-head solitaire match and Google scavenger hunt instead of one of the debates.Good God, it's just asinine!

Kitchen Guy - I AM SO GLAD YOU BRING THIS UP!!! Why doesn't the media focus on Obama's connections like that?? And why is they have to drag Palin through the "wars"? Last time I checked the ballott will read Obama vs McCain - not Obama vs Palin.

<h2>1. National Health Care</h2><p>Many people have concerns about Obama's policy on national health care. Some worry that it will lead to long wait times, like in other countries with similar systems, and that it may not be as effective as the current healthcare system.</p><h2>2. Foreign Policy</h2><p>Another worry is about Obama's foreign policy. Some individuals have family members in the military and are concerned about the safety of their loved ones. They may also question the decision to withdraw troops from certain areas without a clear plan for their safety.</p><h2>3. Lack of Specifics</h2><p>Some people have noticed that when Obama speaks, he often lacks specifics in his plans and ideas. This was also a concern during his previous campaigns. Without concrete details, it can be difficult to fully understand his policies and their potential impact.</p><h2>4. Unions, Social Programs, and the Middle Class</h2><p>There are concerns about Obama's focus on unions, social programs, and the middle class. Some feel that he is not truly representative of the middle class since he has been financially successful. There are also concerns about the effectiveness and sustainability of unions and social programs, as well as potential abuse of these systems.</p><h2>Conclusion</h2><p>Overall, there are many worries about Obama's policies, ranging from healthcare to foreign policy to the middle class. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects of his policies before forming an opinion or making a decision at the polls.</p>

1. National Health Care

Many people have concerns about Obama's policy on national health care. Some worry that it will lead to long wait times, like in other countries with similar systems, and that it may not be as effective as the current healthcare system.

2. Foreign Policy

Another worry is about Obama's foreign policy. Some individuals have family members in the military and are concerned about the safety of their loved ones. They may also question the decision to withdraw troops from certain areas without a clear plan for their safety.

3. Lack of Specifics

Some people have noticed that when Obama speaks, he often lacks specifics in his plans and ideas. This was also a concern during his previous campaigns. Without concrete details, it can be difficult to fully understand his policies and their potential impact.

4. Unions, Social Programs, and the Middle Class

There are concerns about Obama's focus on unions, social programs, and the middle class. Some feel that he is not truly representative of the middle class since he has been financially successful. There are also concerns about the effectiveness and sustainability of unions and social programs, as well as potential abuse of these systems.

Conclusion

Overall, there are many worries about Obama's policies, ranging from healthcare to foreign policy to the middle class. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects of his policies before forming an opinion or making a decision at the polls.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • schel
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
angmillar
Replies