• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Should I Do if My Host Spent Guest's Cash Before Closing the Show?

and it was a really sticky situation. I would talk to the host and see if she would be willing to work with me to get the orders and money back. I would also try to contact the consultant to see if she can give me any information on who the orders were from.
floccies
I have a catalog show host who is telling me she can't close her show because some people paid her in cash and she spent the money!!!!

I don't have the orders or any $$.

I am concerned -- but I don't know what to do-- other than call the host once a week.

Anyone ever encounter this situation before?

I would give her a date, and tell her that you need everything by then, so that it is fair to the other customers.... and if you don't have these orders/payments by then, you will submit it without them! Then she will have to answer to her guests that paid her.... I would follow up with an email, so that you have it in writing, why you are doing what you are doing!

Oh my! One of the things that bites about this is that the customers whom you do not know or have information on to contact them, will think you are the one delaying the order. I will be interested to see how the more experienced cheffers will advise you on how to proceed.

Sorry I'm no help, but my thoughts and prayers are with you that this will work out for you and soon.

O MY GOODNESS!! Well if you start getting phone calls from people that ordered, I would be letting them know so it won't fall on you! They probably have your info if they have a catalog. Other than that, keep calling her. Let her know that her friends and family trusted her to turn in their orders and she owes it to them to get you the orders and the money!! I'd be calling more than once a week. Did she say how much?? and how many orders????

Or, you can ask her for the orders... and get their contact info that way. And call each one personally to explain what happened!!

She probably won't give you the names...I pretty much bet. She's probably trying to figure out a way out of this as we speak. Did she say she ACCIDENTALLY spent it, or just SPENT it? That is so wrong. To be honest, that is why I have customers write checks to me, and strongly suggest they call me with a DC or CC number. Some hosts I have had, I didn't trust enough for them to be holding alot of other peoples' cash!! I have not had any problems with bounced checks either.

The host is responsible for that money. She took other people's money and spent it herself, so she has to come up with it to pay for the orders. Tell her to write you a check or better yet, you can take her credit card for the other orders. (Just those all together when you put it in PP, it's not too difficult.)

I had a situation like this once, but reversed. I was the host, and the consultant (another company) cashed all the checks and used the money. And then she lied - told me that there were problems with the order, but they should be coming in. I eventually had to take her to small claims court to get my friends' and relatives' money back.

Sorry- that doesn't help you any. I'd make sure she knows that this is a serious business, not just a hobby, and that you don't want your reputation ruined when her friends don't get their orders. I'd not only call her every few days, but put it in writing and mail it to her registered mail.

floccies said:
I have a catalog show host who is telling me she can't close her show because some people paid her in cash and she spent the money!!!!

I don't have the orders or any $$.

I am concerned -- but I don't know what to do-- other than call the host once a week.

Anyone ever encounter this situation before?

Hmmmm....sticky situation. I'd suggest calling the host back, be VERY calm and understanding. Tell her you want to work with her to get this taken care of. Tell her that you would like to put everything in the computer and then see if you can set a date to pick up the money. (This way you get the names and numbers of the guests, just in case!) If you are really understanding about it, maybe she won't be hesitant to give you the orders, names, and numbers. (Tell her you need that info for guarantee information in the future.)

I'd really hate to have to contact the guests and tell them their friend stole from them. Did she book off of another show that you can call that host and get her advice?

I had a consultant on my team spend the money hosts gave her to pay her bills and then couldn't pay it back. (Needless to say, she's no longer a consultant!) But I've never had a host do it.

I'm sure (okay...I hope!) that this host is embarrassed by what has happened and has just fallen on hard times. By approaching her with an understanding spirit and not making her feel worse, you will help the situation. When it's all over, you might even consider offering her the opportunity to ease her financial burdens. (Hee hee.....ease it with a commission check NOT with her host's money!!)

I would not call the guests, past hosts or anyone and say that their friend stole their money. It is never helpful to call someone else about anyone's financial issues. I have called a past host to get a phone number of a guest who's check bounced or CC didn't go through but I never say why - I will usually say that there's a glitch with the card and I must have entered something wrong (I say payment rather than check - host doesn't remember or know how their friend paid). You never know what is going on.

If you get the guest's contact information I would call and thank them for their order, tell them their total and ask if they want to use a CC to pay for it so the show can be processed more quickly. They will figure out on their own what's going on. Never bad mouth anyone. Even if you KNOW the host did something wrong it makes you look bad to point it out to her friends. Be professional.

I would call, email, snail mail that host on a very regular basis until she responds. ASK her when she will have the money. Make her give you a definite date and be there to get it. If she won't then you tell her when the money needs to be in. Ask how you can help her get this resolved quickly. If she doesn't respond to nice I would say that you will need to look into legal action if it isn't resolved by ________ (date).

I like the idea of getting the guest info by saying you need it for the warranty.

Yuck!

I just have one thing to add, do not accept a personal check from her. I just don't think you would be able to collect on it. Ask for a credit card, cash or money order. That way you will not have to follow up with her again if the check is not good.

Good luck!
Lisa

Beth, that sounds like a very professional way to handle the situation.

GeorgiaPeach said:
When it's all over, you might even consider offering her the opportunity to ease her financial burdens. (Hee hee.....ease it with a commission check NOT with her host's money!!)

I wouldnt recruit her only because then other people will be writing her checks, and what if she did it agian only with her customers. :eek: She would be giving PC a bad name.

Other than that, I have no advice. Sorry, Good luck.

Personally, I would call HO and tell them your situation so they have it on file NOW in case a customer would complain in the future about a delay in their stuff...and maybe they have some good times on handling it.

I second calling HO. You don't want to get a bum rap if those guests start calling in to HO to complain about YOU, when it's really HER fault!!

Trish in Texas
Future Director

Trish1953 said:
I second calling HO. You don't want to get a bum rap if those guests start calling in to HO to complain about YOU, when it's really HER fault!!

Trish in Texas
Future Director

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they can also help you on how to deal with this situation.

Trish you live right around the corner from me. I lived in Watauga for 8 years then moved to 35/287 just North of Western Center. I'm in your area ALL the time!!!

janetupnorth said:
Personally, I would call HO and tell them your situation so they have it on file NOW in case a customer would complain in the future about a delay in their stuff...and maybe they have some good times on handling it.
I agree call HO make them aware of the situation to cover yourself. Then follow-up with the host, get the order info, find out how much she is short and ask how quickly she can get the $ to you. Hopefully it was just an error (a VERY BAD Error, but an error). Good Luck

smspamperedchef -- yes, we live just miles apart! I'm off Davis and Stearns! Maybe we should get together for lunch sometime! Who knew we were so close!

Trish in Texas
Future Director

I have a host right now that should have closed her show last Friday. She couldn't close then it because she didn't have a credit card or check to mail. Fine. But now I am I noticing that she didn't order either half priced items and I think it is odd that she wanted to meet me to hand me the cash or a money order. When I called Saturday there was no answer. Same with Sunday. Last night she told me she was too busy and she wanted to give me the cash or money order on Friday. I suggested she mail it. She insisted that she wants to meet on Friday. I am to email her with what times will work for me and she will pick one. She also had the nerve to say "The last thing that I about doing is paying you this Pampered Chef show." I got very quiet, and told her that I am sure since she owns her own business, she must understand where I am coming from on wanting to get this closed in a timely manner."
I think she knew she offended me but her response was"Two weeks is fine. Now if it was a month I would be Pi**ed." Hello!!! I never know if deliveries are going to be 1 day or 2 weeks...Grrr....
I didn't occur to me until now, that she can't mail me a money order until she has the money to pay for the money-order. Which will probably be Friday.

What not to do:
Years ago I made a joke to a slow paying host who was three weeks past her closing date. I had made numerous calls. It was the last call that got her reaction. I had joked "What did you do? Go buy a couch?" She almost immediately called back and boy, was she livid!! Hmmm...wonder why? I kissed up to her, apologised up and down saying "It was a joke and of course, I knew she didn't do that." I told her how much this job meant to me and I would never offend anyone on purpose. To make her happy I ended up giving her $40 of free products just so she wouldn't bad mouth me.

Needless to say, I have never made that joke again...even though I know what is really going on.

That is so funny! Sad at the same time though.

Trish1953. I used to live on Starnes Rd just West of Rufe Snow. I'm over that way a lot. We should get together sometime. However I work at a school during the day so lunch until Summer is out.

Hey Ladies,
I used to live in Bedford and grew up in Hurst. I am in NRH alot too.

smspamperedchef, it sounds cool to have a little mini-Chefsuccess meeting (lunch or otherwise) for those of us that live or work in the Mid-Cities (HEB, NRH, etc.) area in Texas sometime in the future. Anyone interested PM me.

Trish in Texas
Future Director

Related to What Should I Do if My Host Spent Guest's Cash Before Closing the Show?

1. What is "Host Spent Guest Money?"

"Host Spent Guest Money" is a program offered by Pampered Chef where the host of a party can use a portion of the guest's purchases towards their own personal order.

2. How does the "Host Spent Guest Money" program work?

When a host has a party and their guests make purchases, a percentage of the total sales will be applied towards the host's own personal order. This can be used as a discount on their order or towards free products.

3. How much of the guest's purchases can the host use for their own order?

The host can use up to 15% of the total party sales towards their personal order through the "Host Spent Guest Money" program.

4. Can the host use the "Host Spent Guest Money" on any products?

Yes, the host can use their "Host Spent Guest Money" towards any products they wish to purchase from Pampered Chef, including discounted items and special offers.

5. Is there a limit to how many times a host can use the "Host Spent Guest Money" program?

There is no limit to how many times a host can use the "Host Spent Guest Money" program. As long as they host a party and have guests make purchases, they can continue to use this program for their own personal orders.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• keynibear
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • kittychef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • kdangel518