• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Should I Consider Before Accepting a Managerial Position?

In summary, the manager position is not something that the author is sure if they want to take on. The first thing that the author would want is a job description, which they do not currently have. The author also wants detailed measurements of their performance and possible bonuses and/or pay raises. The author is not sure what they are expected to do as a manager, but they are expecting to do a lot of the same things as someone in a manager position. The author is done with management and does not want to
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I just got asked to be the manager of my department. There has never been a manager but they are starting to see a need for it and my name came up (it was the only name that came up I was told). I'm not for sure if I want to take it though! First, my boss didn't give me any good details of what my job would include. Second, I know how they treat managers around here (all the blame goes to them). But I'm basically doing alot of things a manager would do and I could use another pay raise. I just got one but I would not accept it without another raise. I just don't really know the questions to ask about this kind of position because I've never been a manager. I know this would look good on my resume down the road and hopefully help in my department because it needs it alot!

I have also been doing alot better personally after all the stress my job was causing me (I posted about this back in March). Since then things have calmed down, my boss is listening to me more and treating me better and I have continued talking with my doctor about the resolution to this issue. I'm more scared of going backwards again and I don't want to end up back there. I know that since I opened up to my boss and told him what is going on, he would be more willing to work with me if this came up againg. But I'm really scared to loose all the progress I've made.

I don't know if any of you who have been in a managment position have any advice to give me!

I've not been a manager officially, but like you, have done much of the work without any of the pay.

The first thing I would want is a job description. Not just a general idea, but a real, in writing, approved by HR job description. You can expect that since this is a new position, that some of it will be made up as you go along, but you should have a pretty good idea of what you need to accomplish and what resourses you have at your disposal.

I would also want a fairly detailed description of how my performance is going to be measured and what, if any, bonuses and/or raises are tied to this performance.

I'd have to know more about the job (sorry I don't remember the details you've posted in the past).But some questions:1. Are you salary or hourly now, what would you be as manager (salary I'm assuming). Note that comes with benefits in pay, but also sacrifices in time and responsibility.2. Any other pros/benefits? Decrease in health insurance rates, other?3. What are you expected to do as a manager, I'd ask for a job description BEFORE deciding......just some initial thoughts...

Been in management for 20 years. Always more hours and stress than they tell you. A lot has to do with how supportive your boss is and the company. You could try it, but make sure you have an "out." You might find out it is a great fit for you, or maybe not.

At this stage of my life, I am done with management. (which is why I think I am dragging my feet on recruiting, but that is another story) I just want to be a worker bee and do my own thing. But it seems that I am constantly put in charge, or take charge. Trying to work on that.

All of the advice I was going to give has been said...I pray that you are able to see the whole picture so you can make an educated decision! Good luck!

http://women.evenhealth.com

I'm hourly right now. Pretty sure I would go to salary, all the managers are. I would still be doing my normal job (there isn't anyone else to do it!) but just be over the people who are in the same department. I told my boss that they need to come up with the duties that would be required of me. I know that it can change as time goes one (my last job had "Other duties as required" on it which was just a cop-out!). I told him that we would talk again after they have figured that part out. I'm not going into this blind. Nothing will be approved by HR as we have no HR person, this company is too small and the job is just assigned to one of the other gals.

DH was a manager but his position required alot of stress so he did ask to step down after 6 months. I thought about asking to do a "trial" run to see how I liked it! Not for sure if they would go for that.

I almost want to see if I can sit down with the owner to discuss this. I hate the three way conversations I have between my boss and him! Nothing ever gets "trasnlated" correctly.

The only other thing I can think of is to ask what kind of management training they offer, or if they'll subsidize management training courses you take outside of work. Managing people is MUCH different than managing yourself, and any good company should offer a sound management training program for their mid- and upper-level management. Good luck!

Ask for a legitimate, detailed job description in writing, so you, and your employer both know what the job will be!

I do think some kind of training would be nice. I've never done anything like this so of course my anxiety is kicking in telling myself that I'm not good enough to do it!

I do agree with getting something in writing. That is one thing this company struggles with. They are growing like crazy but still operating like a 2 man company.

As the old saying goes, grass isn't always greener...Your health should come first so take that in account with the additional stress and responsibilities and
I would get an offer letter and a detailed description of the job in writing also.
Good Luck with your decison!

Just wanted to update that my boss asked me again if I was interested in the job. I told him yes but that I needed to know exactly what I would be doing, if I was going salary or stay hourly (he thought hourly since I would still be doing my regular job) and if it came with any kind of raise (DH doesn't think it's worth it if I don't - I agree!). He's going to get back to me.

Yes, I agree...don't take on a managerial position without some additional compensation.

Of course! I was a little suprised when he said I would probably stay hourly. Then again, I'm doing the same job just with a little more responsibility. I guess we'll see what happens.

wadesgirl said:
Of course! I was a little suprised when he said I would probably stay hourly. Then again, I'm doing the same job just with a little more responsibility. I guess we'll see what happens.

If there are no additional benefits to going salary like insurance breaks or anything else, BY ALL MEANS stay hourly! If you go salary with nothing else those additional tasks will gradually pile on without pay. By staying hourly you'll get paid for them at least!

IMO, until the responsibilities of the position are nailed down, it's probably better for you to be hourly. Then you'll actually get paid for any extra hours that you work. I've known people get all excited about salaried positions, and then HATE them because they end up working so many extra hours a week without additional compensation. Of course, if your responsibilities are increased, your hourly wage should be, too.

wadesgirl said:

Personally, I say HOURLY is better in most cases. That way, you can't be forced into working overtime with no extra compensation...which is usually where management positions stink! Just make sure that you look at the overall picture. Even if you are only working normal FT hours, what will be the ACTUAL difference in your pay and compare that to whatever extra duties and responsibilities/stresses will you be given. Realistically, if they only give you .50 an hour raise x 40 hours a week minus taxes, you would be making...what...an extra $2 per day? Look at it that way to come to your decision...

Hope that helps!

Let us know what he says when he gets back to you!

chefann said:
IMO, until the responsibilities of the position are nailed down, it's probably better for you to be hourly. Then you'll actually get paid for any extra hours that you work. I've known people get all excited about salaried positions, and then HATE them because they end up working so many extra hours a week without additional compensation. Of course, if your responsibilities are increased, your hourly wage should be, too.

HA!

Great minds think alike! You must have been posting as I was typing!! :D

I think all 3 of us were, because Janet's post says something very similar, too.

chefann said:
I think all 3 of us were, because Janet's post says something very similar, too.

Yup! Beat ya'll - nah-nah...

:p ...just had to today - one of those days - fun to tease!

chefann said:

I also agree that hourly is better. At my FT job there are 2 of us in the same position. I am hourly and they are salary. The other person working puts in more hours then I do and it isn't becuase I wouldn't work more... the company will not pay me Overtime.

Also, I agree with getting a WRITTEN description of the job duties. At least then you will have a better idea of what you will be expected to do. :chef:

You guys make me laugh! I would rather stay hourly. I know how much over time I have to put in from time to time and would rather get paid for it. But most supervisors around here are salary, that's why I said I was surprised when he said I would probably stay hourly. Technically to me, if I'm still doing my "grunt" job then I still want to be hourly. DH was a manager and asked to step down last winter due to the crapiness of his position (everything fell on his shoulders). Well, they kept him salary instead of giving him a pay cut. He was happy about that because his boss knows he doesn't get paid any over time and tries to shoo him out the door on time rather than making him stay later or come in on Saturdays.

What is an "OT - Day Time Job"?

An "OT - Day Time Job" refers to a job that requires working overtime during regular business hours. This means that an employee will work more than the standard 8 hours in a day, typically to meet deadlines or handle an increase in workload.

Do all jobs at Pampered Chef require working overtime during the day?

No, not all jobs at Pampered Chef require working overtime during the day. The need for overtime may vary depending on the role and department, but it is not a requirement for all positions.

How is overtime pay calculated for "OT - Day Time Job" positions?

Overtime pay for "OT - Day Time Job" positions at Pampered Chef is calculated at 1.5 times the regular hourly rate. This means that for every hour worked over 8 hours in a day, an employee will receive an additional half of their regular hourly pay.

What is the policy for requesting time off during "OT - Day Time Job" hours?

The policy for requesting time off during "OT - Day Time Job" hours may vary depending on the department, but it is generally recommended to discuss any time off requests with your supervisor in advance. This will allow for proper planning and ensuring that deadlines are still met.

Are there any alternative options for managing "OT - Day Time Job" hours?

Yes, there may be alternative options for managing "OT - Day Time Job" hours, such as flexible work schedules or telecommuting. These options may vary depending on the role and department, and can be discussed with your supervisor or human resources representative.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
heather223
  • Kitchen Diva