• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal: Need Some Job Advice...

In summary, the speaker is facing a dilemma between renewing their contract job or potentially taking a new job offer. They are hesitant to risk their current job for a new opportunity and are seeking advice on how to handle the situation. Some suggestions include negotiating with the new company for a later start date or renewing the contract and continuing to pursue the new job. The speaker is advised to carefully review their contract and consider the potential consequences of breaking it.
pampered1224
Silver Member
You all have helped me through some tough times. This one is not so tough but I am wondering if you think this is ethical.
1) I have a job. I work as an IT contractor at a big company. Means no benefits and poor pay it means no raises in the near future.
2) One of my ex-bosses from the company that closed, got a job with a company in their IT department.
3) He asked for my resume last Christmas as they have an opening the end of March that he really wants me to fill. He has pull!
4) The contract company asked me to extend my contract to the end of July. That was a week ago Monday.
5) I asked for a raise but it is a no go. I told them I needed to think on it on Friday. They asked again yesterday and I put them off again.
6) The new place supposedly just posted the job for Sunday's paper and asked if I could wait, my friends boss in fact, to answer the other company.
7) The old company is starting already to pressure me for an answer but the new place has not asked me in for an interview yet.
So here is my dilemma. I can't not have a job. If I don't answer the one company, I may lose that job at the end of this month.
But if I tell them yes and the other job comes through soon, am I obligated to tell the new job no if I say yes to the contract job?
I just don't know what to do here. Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give me.

Sounds like you really want to go with the New Company if at all possible - but you are hesitant to risk an existing job on a "maybe"?Since the existing company won't provide a pay raise - can you use that as an excuse to have a month-to-month contract (instead of a contract end date of July)?
Or, since new company has been dragging their feet - and hiring is a long process anyway...can they wait for you until the end of July?Are either of these positions "work from home/set your own hours"? If so, is new company willing to take you on part time (set your own hours) until the old contract expires end of July?What are the implications of breaking the contract?

pampered1224 said:
... I can't not have a job. If I don't answer the one company, I may lose that job at the end of this month.
But if I tell them yes and the other job comes through soon, am I obligated to tell the new job no if I say yes to the contract job?
I just don't know what to do here. Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give me.
Renew the contract! You need a job. It's easier to get a job when you have a job.The new company, during the hiring process, negotiate with them on the starting date. Look at your contract & figure out the penalties for terminating early. Some of those contracts are entirely unenforceable depending on where you live, if they contradict labor laws.There will definitely be a reputation hit if you just walk off the contract, but wait until you get a solid job offer from new company. And who knows, the contract job might be OK if you gave them what they consider enough notice to get a replacement.

You really need to look at the contract. For all we know there's a clause in there that says they require 2 weeks notice of termination, and this is all a moot point.Here's an internet thread that may give you something to think about:
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=116558I still say, renew the contract just from what you've posted over the years about your struggles finding work.

I agree with Shellbeach. Take the contract job extension, if the full-time job is not even in the process of starting interviews. It's only a 3-4 month extension. And like she said, going through interviews, etc...sometimes can take weeks or months.

Here's my advice. It's worth what you're paying for it. ;)Go ahead and renew the contract, but go forward with the other job. As others have pointed out, it can take months for the hiring process to move from interview to employee. Since you can't not have a job, this protects you. At the same time, make sure you read your contract carefully. Make sure you know your options for getting out. You're in my thoughts, my friend.

Check your contract. Someone I know is an independent contractor with a large company, and I looked into their contract for a comparison. Even though it is an annual contract, the contractor works at the pleasure of the employer, therefore, both have the right to terminate the contract without notice. (The Sword of Damocles comes to mind for some reason.)

Check the wording of the contract and see what the termination and notice clauses say.

FWIW, I'd sign with the current employer - a contract in the file folder is worth two on the Internet.

Hold the current gig JW, then keep your eyes open. When the new company is viable, go check them out. You can't 'not have a job' - so don't risk that. Continue business-as-usual, until it isn't. This job was an answer to prayers just a few months ago--don't sell out on a maybe or a good 'feeling' from a potential employer without a contract in hand. Dance with the one who brung 'ya, just sayin'. Take care-let us know how it works out. -S

Thanks everyone. I let go and let God! I have been reading these replies and I did say yes to the current contract. You are all very correct in that having a job, even one I wish to leave, is worth more than no job at all. So I bide my time. Until...
So the night of the 5th, after looking at all of your responses, I told the current contract yes. So on the 7th I get an e-mail from the new place. No, they did not post the ad. Someone in HR forgot it. Not to worry. Sister Carol asked Carl to have me come in on Monday the 10th or Tuesday. You know I picked Monday! This was NOT an interview to see about getting the job. Because the job was not posted, they still need to do so. Sister Carol apparently has a very savvy business sense. She decided to hire me for 60 days on a contract and presented me with their offer. I start on the 25th with absolutely no repercussions from the other job even though I accepted the "end of July" contract. (Thanks for telling me to look at my current contract! I never would have thought to!) I was offered a 60 day contract at a $6 an hour raise. How could I say no!! At the May 25th mark, she and I have
Funny thing is that Sister Carol kept apologizing to me! I finally had a chance to tell her that I know everything happens for a reason. Apparently it had to happen this way so I could be at the old job during their Disaster Recovery Exercises. Carl knew I would NEED to give two weeks notice. Just a thing I was brought up to do. Well the timing works out perfectly. 1) I get to finish out the old with the DR exercises. 2) I end at exactly the end of a pay period and 3) I am leaving the same week the boss is going to be in Milwaukee for said exercises and (does it sound awful if I am there with her and I hope she "feels it"?) 4) I start the new job the week before they have their international conference so I will be there to help them set that up. Looks like someone had a plan with perfect timing to me!

Excellent news! Woo hoo!

Everything happens for a reason and some things are meant to be! Congrats!!!

So glad to hear such great news! Good for you!

So glad everything worked out!

This sounds awful but I was at work today, the first time since I gave notice, I actually felt bad. The boss sent me an e-mail reply to my resignation. "Well, what can I say... You will be truly missed!!! If you ever need me, please let me know." I said, "That is appreciated. Thank you." One of the guys told me their department was back in the tape business. They need to fill my shoes until BJ finds some one. Ralph, co-worker, is POd because his kitchen remodel plans are now up in the air because he was going to take off the first week of April and well, BJ has not said anything so he does not know if he will be able too. He is not mad at me but rather at BJ and the company for not hiring me when they ha the chance. Geez this should be a happy time for me but it is not. It will be I am sure eventually. The funny thing is that I have not heard anything from the company I actually work for. OOOHHH I am watching Criminal Minds - the murders are in Milwaukee!!!

Change is often bittersweet. Good things are ahead.

Well thank you all again. I had a hard time on Saturday. It was my last day and when I walked out of the building I usually work in, it hit hard. Oh well. Life goes on. If life is not an adventure, it gets boring. I start the new place tomorrow. I decided to take my two days off this week. I was going to take off a full week before starting the new place but could not afford too. So... on a Pampered Chef note, this gives me weekends off again all the time so scheduling parties will be much easier. People around here like weekends for parties. It is very hard for me to schedule weeknights for some reason. I actually have two lined up already for April. Now just to get a few more! Not to mention that my new boss is an old customer! Carl asked for a catalog right away when he knew I would be starting with them. Too funny! So - to infinity and beyond! Hey, even at 52 it is still possible to hit the stars! Remember that!

So happy for you John! I just read all the posts. Wishing you a great transition and a happy employment at your new job.

Happy for you, John.

Good for you John. I believe in karma and you started this by asking what was ethical. By being careful to not hurt your reputation with others and to feel honest you thought through the issue and got good advice. And in the end you got the change you wanted. Congratulations!

Very good news, guy! And checkout the kitchen remodel guy as a future show lead - maybe a consultant, who knows?!

Not on you life Scott! This guy is 68, as blind as a bat and well, VERY ANNOYING! When I worked an "overlap" day, I had to work with either Mary or Ralph. Ralph is a man who does not know when to put a muzzle on his mouth. Scott, this man rambles and talks about things he should never speak of at work. Te be honest, I guess I could say here. He blamed the Jewish people of Germany for starting the war. And the, insert his favorite slang word for Japanese people here, had it right when they bombed Pearl Harbor. Get my drift? This man could never be out in public. Let associated with Pampered Chef. He actually made some quit after only three weeks because the new guy could not be in the same room with him without wanting to kill him. No joke! He made me physically ill if I thought I would have to work with him. I do NOT miss him!
Thanks Deb! I forgot you had not heard the news.

What types of job opportunities are available at Pampered Chef?

At Pampered Chef, we offer a variety of job opportunities ranging from corporate positions to direct sales consultants. Our corporate positions include roles in marketing, finance, customer service, and more. We also have opportunities for individuals to become independent Pampered Chef consultants and run their own businesses.

What are the requirements for becoming a direct sales consultant with Pampered Chef?

To become a direct sales consultant with Pampered Chef, you must be at least 18 years old and have a valid Social Security number. You will also need to purchase a starter kit, which includes all the necessary tools and products to get your business started. No prior experience is necessary, as we provide comprehensive training and support for all of our consultants.

What are the benefits of working for Pampered Chef?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you have the opportunity to earn a flexible income while working from home. Our consultants also receive discounts on products, bonuses, and the opportunity to earn free products and trips. Additionally, working for Pampered Chef allows you to build relationships with customers and be a part of a supportive community of consultants.

How can I advance my career at Pampered Chef?

We offer various training and development opportunities for our consultants to help them grow and advance in their careers. This includes leadership programs, sales training, and access to our online learning platform. You can also expand your business by recruiting and mentoring new consultants.

What is the company culture like at Pampered Chef?

Pampered Chef promotes a positive and inclusive company culture. We value teamwork, innovation, and personal growth. We also prioritize giving back to our communities through our annual Feeding America campaign and other charitable initiatives. We strive to create a supportive and empowering environment for all of our employees and consultants.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
CookinWithLynda
  • pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
cookingwithdot