• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is the best way to make a low-fat fruit salad in a trifle bowl?

In summary, Elizabeth would use fresh and canned fruit in a trifle bowl. She would demo a different recipe using fresh and canned fruit.
ElizabethPurvis
I have a host next weekend who wants me to make a fruit salad in the trifle bowl. For anyone who has done this before, did you use fresh, frozen, canned or a combo of all 3 for this? She wants something low fat because most of the guests count all their calories. Also, would you demo this or put it together ahead of time and have another recipe to demo? If you would demo a different recipe, let me know what you would do, so I can pass it on to my host! THanks for all of the wonderful help!!

Elizabeth

I would use fresh and cut up most all of it ahead of time saving one or two pieces to peel or garnish in front of them

I would do the same but I always like to add some canned fruit light juice , it adds abit of juice to it . you can use slice peaches ,pears or pinnapple then use the rest in Fresh sounds good to do all summer with a Chopped salad in the SA platter with handles

I would go to Sam's buy Dole's frozen mixed fruit and throw it in the bowl! It really makes a nice presentation - economical too.

I like all these ideas! Thanks!!

If you go with the fresh fruit, you could let folks watch you disect a Pineapple, and make a layer of chunks, then have some canteloupe and honeydew melons and play with the melon baller, and the crinkle cutter, for a variety of shapes and effects. You could use a NO FAT yogurt and sprinkle in a couple packets of Splenda to 8 oz., and sprinkle with our Cinnamon plus. Use a layer of that and trim the top with sliced Strawberries done with our Egg Slicer Plus. Not only will it be pretty in the Trifle bowl but it uses quite a few of our tools. You could even do a layer of Low Fat Cool whip.

I've already done this using MOSTLY fresh fruit. The only canned fruit that I layer in is mandarin oranges. I drain the oranges & layer them with the rest of the fruit, using the remaining juice to make sort of a "dressing". I add a touch of lemon or lime juice to the mandarin orange juice & then sprinkle in a touch of sugar or splenda and about a teaspoon or so of either lemon or lime zest depending on which juice you use.

I prep most of the fruit ahead of time & bring it with me in the Chillzane server or other like container. I then leave small pieces to be able to demonstrate the Core 'n' More, crinkle cutter, microplane grater, etc, etc. The only fruit that I leave whole & will demo from start to finish using the santoku knife is a fresh pineapple. For some reason, guests are really WOWed by that.

For another variation, you could try layering fresh fruit with lowfat or nonfat yogurt & some granola -- sort of like a low-cal breakfast parfait.

I always prep things and only cut up a few in person.

I made a yummy melon salad with watermelon, honeydew, and cantalope, all made into balls with the melon baller. It was pretty!

chefmelody said:
I made a yummy melon salad with watermelon, honeydew, and cantalope, all made into balls with the melon baller. It was pretty!

I'm sure it must have been beautilful!!!!!! Now you have me wanting to get a melon baller too! Funny I checked my stuff and I don't own one. I can't wait for the fruit to be more in season here!

I just made one this weekend for Easter: fresh pineapple, strawberries and cantaloupe. I used 1 pineapple, 1 pound of berries cut up (chunks, not slices) and 1 melon, made into balls with the Core & More. I could barely get the lid on the trifle bowl, but it was a big hit, especially with the kids.

I think that the fruit is a more expensive trifle compared to an easy chocolate one...

Fruit is definitely more, especially now. But it was fantastic for Easter brunch!
(And it wasn't a show that I took it to- it was a family function.)

Ok, so I decided to go with just demo'ing the pineapple as the host wants me to have most of the fruit cut up and ready to go when I get there. I have only cut up a fresh pineapple once, and it wasn't pretty (I cut the tip of my finger almost clean off!). Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I'm wanting to practice before the show so I look like I know what I'm doing, plus, I LOVE fresh pineapple! TIA!

Elizabeth

Watch the Spring DVD - there are tips and instructions there.

I knew it was somewhere! Thanks!

1. How do I make a fruit salad in a trifle bowl?

Making a fruit salad in a trifle bowl is simple and easy. Start by layering your favorite fruits in the bottom of the bowl, such as strawberries, blueberries, and kiwi. Then add a layer of cubed pound cake or angel food cake. Repeat the layers until the bowl is filled. You can also drizzle a little honey or fruit juice between the layers for added flavor. Finally, top with whipped cream and refrigerate until ready to serve.

2. Can I make a fruit salad in advance and store it in the trifle bowl?

Yes, you can definitely make a fruit salad in advance and store it in the trifle bowl. However, it is best to add the whipped cream and any other toppings right before serving to prevent them from getting too soggy. You can also cover the trifle bowl with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

3. What are some good fruit combinations to use in a trifle bowl fruit salad?

The possibilities are endless when it comes to fruit combinations in a trifle bowl fruit salad. Some delicious options include a mixed berry salad with strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, a tropical fruit salad with pineapple, mango, and papaya, or a citrus salad with oranges, grapefruits, and kiwi. Feel free to get creative and use your favorite fruits!

4. Can I use canned fruit in a trifle bowl fruit salad?

Yes, you can use canned fruit in a trifle bowl fruit salad. Just make sure to drain the fruit well before adding it to the bowl. You can also mix fresh and canned fruit for a variety of textures and flavors.

5. Can I use a different type of bowl for my fruit salad?

While a trifle bowl is typically used for this type of fruit salad, you can certainly use a different type of bowl if you don’t have one. A clear glass bowl or even a regular serving bowl can work just as well. Just make sure to arrange the layers evenly for a visually appealing presentation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefMoore
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kspry
  • stefani2
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
stefani2
  • Morvin