• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Is a Smoker and How Do You Use It?

In summary, a smoker is a grill with an extra place to put wood chips to smoke the meat that you are cooking. It has a flame and is likely big.
pamperedbecky
I'm totally unfamiliar with smoking pork and other meats. What is a smoker exactly? Is it big? Is there an open flame? I had someone ask me if a stone could be used in a smoker and I have NO idea. (And if the Large Round Stone would fit in a smoker). Any help would be much appreciated!:)

Last edited:
SmokerThis is similar to the smoker that I have. It's a grill with an extra place to put wood chips to smoke the meat that you are cooking. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• a_smoker.jpg
    a_smoker.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 424
So, if it's a grill, I guess it would have a flame. I'm assuming you couldn't use a stone on it. Does anyone else know for sure??? I have a woman who wants to buy the Deep Covered Baker and the Large Round Stone (no, unfortunately she doesn't want to host this month!:grumpy: ) and wondered if either could be used when smoking meats.

Thanks in advance!:D

This thread has mixed reviews. http://www.chefsuccess.com/f8/stones-grill-24560/I am not sure because by the time you grill (on charcoal, which is what I have), the flames are out. I think I will have to defer to the more experienced folks around here. Lynda

We have a smoker and love it. While I think you CAN use a stone in it, I DON'T think you should. Smoke is a really intense smell, and I would be concerned the stone would forever smell smoky. Also, I don't think a stone would add anything to the smoking experience. You really want the air to move around the food inside a smoker, and setting the food on a stone first would take away from that.

lauraP2000 said:
We have a smoker and love it. While I think you CAN use a stone in it, I DON'T think you should. Smoke is a really intense smell, and I would be concerned the stone would forever smell smoky. Also, I don't think a stone would add anything to the smoking experience. You really want the air to move around the food inside a smoker, and setting the food on a stone first would take away from that.
I 2nd that! We use our smoker often and I can't imagine why we want to or need to use a stone while smoking meats.

Hmmmm, very interesting. thanks for the feedback! From what you're saying, it does seem like having a stone in there would be counter-productive. I'll point it out to her. Thanks for the info you guys!!:)

Hi there! A smoker is a cooking device that is specifically designed for slow cooking and smoking meats. It is typically a large, cylindrical or box-shaped appliance that uses indirect heat and smoke to cook the meat. There is usually a firebox or heating element at the bottom of the smoker, but no open flame. Instead, the heat and smoke are circulated throughout the cooking chamber to evenly cook and flavor the meat.As for using a stone in a smoker, it is possible but not recommended. The purpose of a smoker is to infuse the meat with smoky flavor, and using a stone may block the smoke from reaching the meat. Additionally, the temperature and airflow in a smoker are specifically designed for cooking meats, so using a stone may affect the cooking process.I hope this helps clarify what a smoker is and how it works. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to me. Happy cooking!

Related to What Is a Smoker and How Do You Use It?

1. Can I use a smoker if I am a beginner at cooking?

Yes, smokers are easy to use and can be a great option for beginners. There are many resources available, such as online tutorials and cookbooks, to help you get started with using a smoker.

2. What types of food can I cook in a smoker?

You can cook a variety of foods in a smoker, including meats, vegetables, and even desserts. Smokers are especially great for cooking meats like ribs, brisket, and chicken, as the slow cooking process infuses the food with a rich, smoky flavor.

3. How long does it take to cook food in a smoker?

The length of time it takes to cook food in a smoker depends on several factors, such as the type of food, the size of the food, and the temperature of the smoker. Generally, it can take anywhere from 2-8 hours to cook food in a smoker.

4. Do I need to constantly monitor the smoker while cooking?

While it is important to keep an eye on the smoker, you do not need to constantly monitor it. Most smokers have a temperature gauge and can maintain a consistent temperature, allowing you to step away and check on it periodically.

5. Can I use a smoker indoors?

No, it is not safe to use a smoker indoors. The smoke and fumes from the smoker can be harmful and can also cause damage to your home. It is important to always use a smoker in a well-ventilated outdoor area.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• maddy123
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Lindsay
  • PCSarahjm
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • kcjodih