• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Do You Wish You Knew When You First Started?

In summary, some bits of wisdom to keep in mind as a PC consultant include: asking everyone if they would like to host or learn more about the opportunity, utilizing online training and cluster meetings, spending time on the phone for your business, wearing logo wear, staying organized and prepared for shows, and considering setting up booths or vendor fairs. It is also helpful to not reinvent the wheel and take advantage of the resources and support offered by PC and other consultants. Additionally, don't take things personally and remember to have fun.
koima
What are the bits of wisdom you've picked up as you've gone along that you wish you'd started with? From booking to selling to recruiting to paperwork, what are your favorite tips and tricks?

ASK EVERYONE!

That is the biggest thing! Ask EVERYONE if they would like to host, and ask EVERYONE if they would like some information about the PC opportunity.

Also - mailing invites for your hosts really does give you better sales, less cancellations, and higher attendance.

Relax and just have fun. Only you truly know what goes in the recipe and if you forget something, it's no big deal.
Also this is MY business and I will not be threatened, manipulated or naive enough to fulfill everyone's demands, especially if they cost ME money or unnecessary time wasted!

Debbie :chef:

Ask everyone everything! Make some goals! Don't spend all your commission on products!!!!

Watch all the online training you can.
Never miss a Cluster Meeting even if you have to hunt a Hospitality Director.
Spend time on the phone every day for your business.
Wear your logo wear everywhere you go if practical (not to Church of course but wherever else you can).
Get organized so you can find the forms you need when you need them.
Carry mini-catalogs, at least one Host packet, and order forms in your tote bag. Buy a Catalog Tote and turn it to a yummy recipe page to attract attention!
Try to find out where booths are in your area and get one if they are reasonably priced. Don't spend a lot on booths unless you are positive you can get your money back you invested!
If you can't find any booths in the area, find some other DS consultants and find a place to set up your own vendor fair, especially in November and April (Christmas & Mother's Day).
You have done one of the best things...network on CS with other consultants!

1. You CAN have your own website immediately - you just can't process INDIVIDUAL orders until you are qualified.

2. You can order the monthly special the month before it is released so you have a sample to show at your shows - with certain things that really isn't applicable but with things like the pumpkin plate - I wish I had known.

3. It's only ketchup and never assume anything about anyone - ASK EVERYONE!

Have a great November!

I keep seeing "It's only ketchup".... Is that some inside joke for PC Consultants? If so, I don't know it! Please tell me!

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Keep them coming!

We're currently looking for a hospitality cluster that I can join. Anyone know of one on the SF Peninsula/South Bay?

How do I find booths and vendor fairs?

Good to know that I can order the monthly special in advance! I'll definitely keep that in mind for upcoming months. I'm planning on spending PC bucks, not commission, on products. I like PC products, but I'm doing it for the money! :)

My bit of wisdom: Don't re-invent the wheel. Theme shows, 3-2-3 success plan, great recipes, ways to do your shows (interactive, etc...) are all proven recipes for success. Take online classes, make the most of what the PC has to offer you as a consultant- Everyone at home office, as well as the rest of us in this business really want you to succeed and are willing to help!

Oh, thought of something else...

The teleclasses offered through Consultant's Corner have been TREMENDOUS for me. I have learned so many things from the call leaders and the consultants on the calls.

For PCCHEFJANE:
Ketchup - means don't take it personally. When the waitress at the restaurant asks you if you want ketchup with your meal and you say no - she is not offended, she doesn't feel defeated, she just moves right on to the next person. That's my take on it - someone please elaborate if I am wrong....

I agree with not reinventing the wheel. PC gives us great business materials to work with, there's no reason to waste your time to change them.My other tip would be to start off organized. If you get into good habits now, it won't be so harder later.

pcchefjane said:
Watch all the online training you can.
Never miss a Cluster Meeting even if you have to hunt a Hospitality Director.
Spend time on the phone every day for your business.
Wear your logo wear everywhere you go if practical (not to Church of course but wherever else you can).
Get organized so you can find the forms you need when you need them.
Carry mini-catalogs, at least one Host packet, and order forms in your tote bag. Buy a Catalog Tote and turn it to a yummy recipe page to attract attention!
Try to find out where booths are in your area and get one if they are reasonably priced. Don't spend a lot on booths unless you are positive you can get your money back you invested!
If you can't find any booths in the area, find some other DS consultants and find a place to set up your own vendor fair, especially in November and April (Christmas & Mother's Day).
You have done one of the best things...network on CS with other consultants!

Jane you've just about covered everything!

My biggest thing is to take advantage of ALL of the available training!

I wish I'd known about this website!!!
Wish I'd known about fundraisers!Since being on here I've been making way more contacts and understanding way way more about PC so thankyou!! Just wish my 90days were not almost up

Well I did this---I hunted down people i HEARD on tapes--called asked if I could pick there brains--Drove up to 4 hours--to see a show-etc--what it was looking back I totally set myself up for TOP PERFORMANCE earning TPC and a trip my 1st year--GO FIND THE TOP PRODUCERS---AND get on there shirt tales if you want it all!

SeeMe4PC said:
1. You CAN have your own website immediately - you just can't process INDIVIDUAL orders until you are qualified.

2. You can order the monthly special the month before it is released so you have a sample to show at your shows - with certain things that really isn't applicable but with things like the pumpkin plate - I wish I had known.

3. It's only ketchup and never assume anything about anyone - ASK EVERYONE!

Have a great November!

How do you order the monthly special before it is released?

ChefBeckyD said:
ASK EVERYONE!

That is the biggest thing! Ask EVERYONE if they would like to host, and ask EVERYONE if they would like some information about the PC opportunity.

Also - mailing invites for your hosts really does give you better sales, less cancellations, and higher attendance.
What she said! She's so smart. :)

MORFIA said:
Well I did this---I hunted down people i HEARD on tapes--called asked if I could pick there brains--Drove up to 4 hours--to see a show-etc--

what it was looking back I totally set myself up for TOP PERFORMANCE earning TPC and a trip my 1st year--

GO FIND THE TOP PRODUCERS---AND get on there shirt tales if you want it all!

That's why I am calling YOU!!!

This website has been such an asset to me. My director is about 1 hour away and I can't always make it to the meetings since I like to spend Sundays with my family. Anyway, I think the greatest gift a director could give a new consultant was the hint about this website, and perhaps the first year's fee for it.

One thing I wish that someone had told me in the beginning:
ask your hosts to invite as people that YOU don't know as (s)he can. Or ask guests to bring friends you don't know.

I make sure I tell my new consultants this now. It helps you get out of your circle really quickly. Here's the words I give my newbies:

Susie, thank you for being one of my first hosts and helping me get my business started. I know that you're going to love the products that you get to pick out and that everyone is going to have a great time. I have one favor to ask. Please, try to invite as many people that I don't know as you can. Or, let's ask everyone to bring a friend. This will help me get out of my circle of friends. I don't want to HAVE to call you in 6 months to do another show, I want YOU to call me because you WANT to do another show.

Good luck! :)

This is all such great information!

How do I find top performing directors? My director is in Germany and I haven't found a hospitality cluster nearby yet, or any local directors at all!

koima said:
This is all such great information!

How do I find top performing directors? My director is in Germany and I haven't found a hospitality cluster nearby yet, or any local directors at all!
Ask your director to find you a hospitality director. She/he has to do the request with HO. If you learn of a director in your area you can ask her to request that director for you.

Embrace the phone! It is your friend! Don't wait for people to call you, you have to call them!

Make this your mantra (ala Deana McAlpin)

P-pick
U-up
M-My
P-phone
E-every
D-day

In addition to what everyone has already posted, spend your PC dollars wisely. Talk with other consultants about the tools they use regularly outside of the kit. Some that come to my mind are: Trifle Bowl, either the 10" or 12" skillet, deep covered baker, large round stone with handles, and one each of the color coated knives and the one with the honing case. I would also recommend the citrus press or the juicer. Also save some $$ for supplies.

Best of luck!

Oh, Susan, good advice!

So, everyone! What tools do you use the most!

I almost always use my knives, my 12" executive pan, and the chopper.

Related to Susan's advice, don't rush to spend those PC$. They don't expire. Hold on to them and figure out what you'll use. And then use the PC$ in your Kit enhancement month to get the most bang for your buck.

I haven't read everyone's response, just kinda skimmed them, so hopefully I'm this hasn't already been said:

Be prepared for the ups and downs. The ups way outway the downs! I have so much fun in this business, but there are dissapointments. Don't count your chickens before they are hatched in other words:)!

I wish I had known about the progress tracker! I was less than $50 away from hitting $1250 in my first 90 days, but missed out on the extra PC Dollars. If I had known, I would have gotten one more order, or spent the money myself!

What I really wish, though, is that I had known about The Pampered Chef 20 years ago!!

Try to get out of your circle as soon as possible. While host coaching your first few shows, ask the hostess to invite people that you do not know, and have them bring 2 guests. Really stress that. It seems that the consultants that get off to a good start are out of their circle quickly. If not, you will run out of bookings very quickly, and feel like a failure, then give up. At my 3rd show, I did not know anyone except the hostess.

I'm out of my circle with my very first show - she's an acquaintance from Weight Watchers and I don't know ANY of her friends! She's been awesome - sent out an e-mail to her invite list talking about how great the stoneware is, and asked everyone to bring a friend!

Not sure if this fits with your thread, but my advice is - Keep it SIMPLE!! I'm still working on that! :rolleyes: I have been known to complicate things, and jump at every new idea I see, without much thought. I have decided to reassess my biz and make some major changes. I always seem to have too many ideas and other things on the go and end up feeling lost, depressed and overwhelmed about the whole thing.

As far as other items for each show: DCB is a must, along with the stackable cooling rack (even if it is just used to display your items more), and I often take my tool turn around with some bamboo spoons, garlic press, scissors, pie server, etc -- fill it up, it is easy to take along. I've been bringing the bamboo bowl and holiday server plate and one of the small skillets to pass around.I'm happy for you being out of your circle of friends. I've been in this business for almost 2 years and my small business is getting huge. My challenge now is staying organized.

I WISH I HAD SOMEONE TELL ME LOTS WHEN I FIRST STARTED!!!!!

1. HOW to be Organized
- Using the HOST INFORMATION form (get the Host to fill it out FOR YOU when you give her a Host Packet at a Show!)
- Use the POTENTIAL RECRUIT form to keep track of your leads
- Have MONTHLY tabs/dividers PLUS 1-31 tabs/dividers to keep you on track

2. You can be creative with your Shows
- Host Open Houses, clinics, classes/courses
-Mystery Host Shows
-different recipes
- catalogue walk-through shows

3. PWS
- HOW to use it (contacts)

What is PWS?

cookin to the top said:
My bit of wisdom: Don't re-invent the wheel. Theme shows, 3-2-3 success plan, great recipes, ways to do your shows (interactive, etc...) are all proven recipes for success. Take online classes, make the most of what the PC has to offer you as a consultant- Everyone at home office, as well as the rest of us in this business really want you to succeed and are willing to help!

Amen to that! You have everything you need (i.e. don;t spend all your dough before you make it) with yur starter kit and this website. I tried to reinvent the wheel and found out that it was already perfected -- the hard and long way :)

DON'T THINK YOU HAVE TO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THE BUSINESS TO RECRUIT!

And with recruiting...it's all about the potential recruit and not about how nervous or uncomfortable it may be for you.:chef:

thanks for all the great ideas. love this thread and website!!!

I won't recruit someone without letting them do what the application says which is to plan a few shows before they sign so they can start strong.
I didn't have any and just made up some dates. It's very encouraging to earn those extra free products in your first 90 days.

The one thing that I can say I wish I had done differently in the beginning is TRY HARDER in my first 30 & 90 days!!! I could have gotten a lot more PC bucks!
I still got I think $200 in my first 30 and another $100 in my 90 days but I could have done a lot more!!!

I totally back up the statement to get outside your circle! When I started I assumed that everyone loved PC as much as me and that they would just line up to book shows. Totally ask every one, and break into new groups!

not to buy so much to start with! Also, that getting parties would be so darned HARD! Mmm and maybe to skip ALL but my fall harvest booths as they were all a complete waste of time and money.Also that I would LOVE PC so darned much and use it a zillion times a day! LOL

Chef Kearns said:
Make this your mantra (ala Deana McAlpin)

P-pick
U-up
M-My
P-phone
E-every
D-day

Honestly, I totally don't get this. I am a fairly new consultant. I could pick up that phone every single day of my life... and still have NOBODY to call :eek: I've burned out every contact I've had with unlimited specials, offers, news, recipes... everything. They all have given what they are going to give and that's that. I guess this applies when you have a large past client and guest list huh? :balloon:

Okay...I am still a newbie but I have one thing to pass along. I had been going to PC shows for more than 10 years. I rarely agreed to having a party and never ever considered becoming a consultant. My best friend even sold for a time and it still never interested me. I hosted a dismal show of $300.00 but was happy to get the skillet I had been wanting for a good price. I was looking through the paperwork that the consultant left with me and noticed that she had noted that I would have made $60.00 as the consultant. That was it...after years of no interest I signed up that week. My point is don't ever think someone won't host a party or become a consultant because in time they may come around. :)

murkey said:
Mmm and maybe to skip ALL but my fall harvest booths as they were all a complete waste of time and money.
LOL

I would NOT agree with this one at all!!!! I did 3 booths from Oct-Dec and booked 12 shows, got about $300 in orders, and signed ONE NEW RECRUIT!! It is ALL IN THE FOLLOW UP!! I put a star on the drawing slips of people I had great conversations with and started with them when I made calls, I already knew they were excited, so they were "easy". This got me excited, so when I called the others I was excited and got more from those calls!!:love:

mscharf said:
I would NOT agree with this one at all!!!! I did 3 booths from Oct-Dec and booked 12 shows, got about $300 in orders, and signed ONE NEW RECRUIT!! It is ALL IN THE FOLLOW UP!! I put a star on the drawing slips of people I had great conversations with and started with them when I made calls, I already knew they were excited, so they were "easy". This got me excited, so when I called the others I was excited and got more from those calls!!:love:

wow! that is awesome!! Congrats for you for sure!

It must have been wrong times and places for me. I did about 5-6 booths this year and only had ONE (fall harvest) yield ANYTHING. I didn't even get people to sign up to win! They declined as they passed by. :yuck:

And I did several different approaches. Free shows, Free drawings, Freebies for booking shows dates... offering "outlet party" shows. I mean; everything. The most I got was "Oh, I love PC" some would stay long enough to answer what their favorite product was but most of them would say it as they passed by. I did everything I have ever read about - and got nothing but a total of about $150.00 of expenses for it all. :grumpy::rolleyes:

Love several of the ideas I've already seen here.

I just wanted to add to invest in business cards. People will keep up with a business card better than your name & number scribbled on a piece of paper. And professional cards present a better business appearance than the ones you can print yourself at home. ;)

In my experience, handing out a catalog with your information along with a recipe card is more effective that a business card. I have been a consultant for 10 years and have never had business cards. Now, if i earned TPC and got them for FREE that would be a different story!
Ask everyone!!! "no" is just a little bitty 2 letter word that gets you closer to the next "yes"!

I'd say a "wish I knew" thing would be that this business takes ALOT more time than it's made out to be!

<h2>What are the most frequently asked questions about "What Do You Wish You Knew When You First Started? </h2><p>1. What is the best way to book parties and events?<br>When I first started, I wish I knew the importance of networking and utilizing social media platforms to reach potential hostesses. It's also helpful to have a system in place for following up with leads and booking parties in advance.</p><p>2. How can I improve my sales techniques?<br>One tip is to always have a "why" behind your products and share personal stories and experiences with customers. It's also important to offer specials and promotions to entice customers to buy. And don't forget to follow up with customers after their purchase to ensure their satisfaction and offer future discounts.</p><p>3. How do I recruit new consultants?<br>Networking and word of mouth are key when it comes to recruiting. Reach out to friends, family, and acquaintances who you think would be interested in joining Pampered Chef and offer them incentives for signing up. Attend local events and fairs to promote the opportunity as well.</p><p>4. What are some tips for keeping track of paperwork?<br>Organization is key when it comes to paperwork. Invest in a filing system or use online tools to keep track of orders, invoices, and other important documents. It's also helpful to set aside specific times each week to complete paperwork and stay on top of it.</p><p>5. How can I stand out as a Pampered Chef consultant?<br>One way to stand out is to consistently offer exceptional customer service and go above and beyond for your clients. Another tip is to continuously educate yourself on the products and techniques to provide valuable information to customers. Lastly, don't be afraid to get creative with your parties and events to make them unique and memorable.</p>

What are the most frequently asked questions about "What Do You Wish You Knew When You First Started?

1. What is the best way to book parties and events?
When I first started, I wish I knew the importance of networking and utilizing social media platforms to reach potential hostesses. It's also helpful to have a system in place for following up with leads and booking parties in advance.

2. How can I improve my sales techniques?
One tip is to always have a "why" behind your products and share personal stories and experiences with customers. It's also important to offer specials and promotions to entice customers to buy. And don't forget to follow up with customers after their purchase to ensure their satisfaction and offer future discounts.

3. How do I recruit new consultants?
Networking and word of mouth are key when it comes to recruiting. Reach out to friends, family, and acquaintances who you think would be interested in joining Pampered Chef and offer them incentives for signing up. Attend local events and fairs to promote the opportunity as well.

4. What are some tips for keeping track of paperwork?
Organization is key when it comes to paperwork. Invest in a filing system or use online tools to keep track of orders, invoices, and other important documents. It's also helpful to set aside specific times each week to complete paperwork and stay on top of it.

5. How can I stand out as a Pampered Chef consultant?
One way to stand out is to consistently offer exceptional customer service and go above and beyond for your clients. Another tip is to continuously educate yourself on the products and techniques to provide valuable information to customers. Lastly, don't be afraid to get creative with your parties and events to make them unique and memorable.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sidnie Anderson
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Heidi Schmidt
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies