• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Want a Wii for Christmas...need Info

In summary, our family has decided to forgo individual gifts this year and get a Wii as a family gift. My husband and I are in the "information gathering" stage. Do any cheffers have a Wii? What do you know? What do you suggest? Any tips or
GeorgiaPeach
Silver Member
Our family has decided to forgo individual gifts this year and get a Wii as a family gift. My husband and I are in the "information gathering" stage. Do any cheffers have a Wii? What do you know? What do you suggest? Any tips or ideas are welcome :)

Thank you in advance...."Wii" appreciate it! (Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

There's another thread where we were discussing/debating between a WII and an XBOX. You might find some if the info in there helpful. It is called As a parent.... a Christmas Present question.We don't have a Wii ourselves, (wouldn't mind one), from what I've heard - it's a great whole family system.Hope that helps! :)

If they had a mystic plug in, would it be called a Wiija?

jcsmilez said:
There's another thread where we were discussing/debating between a WII and an XBOX. You might find some if the info in there helpful. It is called As a parent.... a Christmas Present question.

We don't have a Wii ourselves, (wouldn't mind one), from what I've heard - it's a great whole family system.

Hope that helps! :)

Before starting the thread I tried searching for "Wii" but it said no matches. Guess I'll pop over there and see what it says.

Our daughter is leaving for college next year and we liked the idea of something the whole family could play together. I totally STINK at video games but I think this is something I can do :)

Hi Lisa,
Give us a call. Patrick is an electric junkie and can probably tell you everything you need to know. We own the Wii and everyone LOVES it! I probably could write it off on my taxes because you can add all of your pictures and put it to music. How cool would that be at a meeting? I haven't done it...but I could:)

It's 11:00 here and we are wide awake...call me on my cell if you still have it...until 11:30 that is. After that, Patrick will be home tomorrow night I am sure he already knows the best places to get it. They aren't going on sale, but this is his addiction...he knows all about anything electronic.

The Wii is a wonderful game system. We do not have any children (but I love video games and have the various Nintendo systems).

Children AND ADULTS love the Wii.

Prior to the Wii, when we would entertain we usually set up a Nintendo system for the kids to play while the adults socialized. Adults never paid much attention to the game system.

But now that we have the Wii, I have never seen the parents gather around a video game like this. We are all mid 30's - 40's and the people that come over are NOT gamers. But the Wii draws everyone in and adults are playing the games with the kids.

The sports game that comes with it (if they are still doing that) has bowling, golf, tennis, and baseball (maybe something else). These are so much fun.

Hope this helps.

My sister and her hubby bought one for our Up North family cabin. Wii love it. My mom is especially bad at video games and she kicked all our butts at bowling and baseball. Even our 3 & 4 year olds could play it.

And, it's pretty good exercise. We have 2 controllers and the extra things that you attach for boxing (don't know what they're called). We all boxed each other quite a few times and I must say, my arms really hurt the next morning, in a good way. Your muscles get a good workout. It's funny, too. In most of the games, you could usually make little movements and get everything to work, but you get so into it you end up going all out.

I would definitely recommend it!!

Glad to hear it! We are thinking about getting a Wii, also, and only a Wii. But then, I'd like one of thos Flib video cameras. So I think we'll get one of those, too. Add the two together and we are spending more than any other Christma, but at least I only have two gifts to wrap and I can probably get them both at the same store. :)

I'm hoping to get a Wii as well but over here, they ONLY place to get it is the Military Exchange and they get maybe 6 in here and there and they're gone in seconds. It really sucks!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
If they had a mystic plug in, would it be called a Wiija?

Hrmm... well the console itself if much smaller than I ever thought from looking at pictures... so that makes it a Wee Wii...

:p

We really want a Wii too... I'd love to get the family a Wii as a family gift for the holidays... a big surprise kind of thing for everyone (well, 'cept me... ;) )

kam said:
But now that we have the Wii, I have never seen the parents gather around a video game like this. We are all mid 30's - 40's and the people that come over are NOT gamers. But the Wii draws everyone in and adults are playing the games with the kids.
The goal of PC is to get family's back around the table. Our family sits down together EVERY night....then we all get up and go to our separate rooms!! Three TV's...4 people. I want something to bring us all back together that is fun and easy to do :) When I play the kids PS2 they all get mad at me because I run into things, flip the car, drive over top of people....it's just sad :cry:

I also think a Wii party with the adults would be fun!

Ok......trying not to hijack here, but...for those of you who have the Wii system, what are the absolute "must haves" for the system?? I bought one for my kids for Christmas, but I have no idea what additional items I need (controllers, etc.). I'm not even sure what it comes with.

I have been calling around every day for a week now waiting for them to come in. I will probably be at Walmart 5:00 a.m. on Black Friday to get one. They either can't keep up with the demand or purposely not making enough.

Ann R.

We were in Costco Friday evening when they got a pallet of them in. The poor stock guy couldn't even get them backed into the space allotted for them.....he was mobbed! He finally gave up and left the Pallet sitting in the aisle - he said they'd be gone in 10 minutes anyway, and then he could move the pallet jack back to receiving. When we checked out, we were the ONLY ones that we could see around us who didn't have one!

Wow, around here I've actually seen them available.

We have also made the decision to get one. I just wish I knew wheter or not they were going to be going on sale before Christmas.

The WII will definitely not be going on sale before Christmas! If you are lucky, you might be able to find a bundle online - try Gamestop.com. That way you at least save a few bucks on some accessories/games. :cry:

itsjustCarla said:
Ok......trying not to hijack here, but...for those of you who have the Wii system, what are the absolute "must haves" for the system?? I bought one for my kids for Christmas, but I have no idea what additional items I need (controllers, etc.). I'm not even sure what it comes with.

We have a Wii and love it! It's very cute for the whole family. The most controllers that it can support are 4, so don't bother getting any more than that. And some games will require the extra attachment piece for the controller that was mentioned above, the nunchuck. You wouldn't need more than 2 nunchucks, and one controller (or Wii-mote) and one nunchuck comes with the system. It also comes with Wii Sports game, which has bowling, boxing, tennis, and baseball. I think there might be one more sport, but I can't remember it.

Good games for the Wii for a family:

Wii Play (which comes with a Wii-mote but not a nunchuck) has "Shooting Range, a point and fire game of target practice in the Duck Hunt tradition, Billiards, a simplified variation of nine-ball with stunningly realistic physics that uses your Wii Remote as your pool cue. Find Mii, in which you scan the crowds to find the right Mii-and Miis you and your friends created make an appearance, Tanks!, in which you command a toy tank on a miniature battlefield in a gauntlet of 100 missions. Other games include Pose Mii, Table Tennis, Fishing, Charge!, and Laser Hockey." (from the website)

WarioWare Smooth Moves is a collection of little mini-games like Wii Play, but it has over 200 games that are strung together. Very fun.

And a new game: Smarty Pants is like a quiz show/board game for the whole family. It's on my list for Christmas, and it's on sale on black friday for $28 at Meijer. The great thing about it is that you input the players' information like age, and it asks questions that are appropriate for that player. So it'll work for the whole family!

You can watch videos for these games here:

WiiPlay: Wii Play for Wii Movies - Wii Play Movies - Wii Play Videos - Wii Play Trailers
WarioWare: WarioWare: Smooth Moves for Wii Movies - WarioWare: Smooth Moves Movies - WarioWare: Smooth Moves Videos - WarioWare: Smooth Moves Trailers
Smarty Pants: Smarty Pants for Wii Movies - Smarty Pants Movies - Smarty Pants Videos - Smarty Pants Trailers

There are lots of games for the Wii, but the ones that we find the most fun are the ones designed for the Wii that use what makes the Wii unique: the movement of the controllers.

Hope that helps!

I didn't realize it would be hard to find a Wii :cry: We have just made the decision to do this.

But GOOD NEWS....I have a friend that is on a business trip with his wife. They will be in Chattanooga, Nashville, and Atlanta. He's offered to hunt around for one since he has nothing to do during the day in those cities :D

Woo Hoo!!!

We just had a Wii party last Saturday night with all of my cousins (like 13 of us, between the ages of, well, mine and 24) and had a riot! And I usually hate video games because I have no hand-eye coordination, but the Wii rocks! Like everyone else says, it's a great family game that everyone can play regardless of skill level.

However, I will say it's kind of depressing to wake up the morning after Wii boxing and realize that you are so out of shape that a video game makes your muscles sore :)

Good luck in your quest!

I had that realization the first time I played Dance Dance Revolution with my kids! I was sore in places I didn't even know I had places.

Jean DeVries said:
However, I will say it's kind of depressing to wake up the morning after Wii boxing and realize that you are so out of shape that a video game makes your muscles sore :)

Yeah after my brother lent us his for a week I dealt with 3-4 weeks of rotator cuff pain! :(

we have had an Xbox for a few years now and we just got a wii it will be our family present this year. Last weekend when my daughter was gone for the weekend we broke it out to make sure everything was in working order;) ;) And we had a blast hands down the wii beats out the xbox!!!! even my 3 yr old got into it!!! we had to tell him that we borrowed it from his uncle so he doesn't spill the beans!! i think the wii is an excellent investment for family fun of all ages!!!

Heather

I'd like to get a wii, but my almost 13 yr. old son has to have an XBOX 360 (for the games)! I was at Kmart last week and they had a wii in stock, but not hte XBOX. I went to the other Kmart across town for the XBOX. I was amost there when I thought to myself, "Why didn't you buy that wii, it's going to be hard to find this Christmas I've heard. I could have sold the thing on Ebay!! Oh well, I would have felt quilty doing that anyway!

I did get the XBOX, it's in lay-away!

GeorgiaPeach said:
I didn't realize it would be hard to find a Wii :cry: We have just made the decision to do this.

But GOOD NEWS....I have a friend that is on a business trip with his wife. They will be in Chattanooga, Nashville, and Atlanta. He's offered to hunt around for one since he has nothing to do during the day in those cities :D

Woo Hoo!!!

Oh My Gosh....I just had to post this!! My friend just called and said to stop looking, he'd found a Wii in Franklin, TN. He then went on to say that they were giving it to our family as a Christmas present!! He said they had already planned on doing it before I said we wanted to get one. WOW! What a blessing!!!

I agree - that is a blessing!!

Now you can buy the accessories to go with it! I recommend the charging station so you wont go through tons of batteries. We have 4 controllers and at least two numchucks. It comes with either one of each. My kids love having friends over to play the Party games.

I am really happy for you!

You are going to LOVE your Wii!! :)

I just bought ours today at Toys R Us!!! My husband is SO EXCITED!!

Congrats Lisa on your family gift from a friend!! HOW AWESOME!!! I got mine for $249.99!

That Smarty Pants game looks cool...$50 kills me though for a GAME! I know that's normal for brand new games but I still think that is crazy!

KellyTheChef said:
That Smarty Pants game looks cool...$50 kills me though for a GAME! I know that's normal for brand new games but I still think that is crazy!

I couldn't agree more!! Toys R Us has the games on sale right now buy 2 get 3rd free until Wednesday. :)

Related to Want a Wii for Christmas...need Info

1. What is a Wii and how does it work?

The Wii is a video game console created by Nintendo. It uses motion-sensing technology to allow players to interact with games using physical gestures and movements.

2. What games are available for the Wii?

There are a wide variety of games available for the Wii, including popular titles such as Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, and Wii Sports. It also has a large selection of family-friendly games and fitness games.

3. How much does a Wii cost?

The price of a Wii can vary depending on where you purchase it, but typically it costs around $200 to $300. Keep in mind that additional accessories and games will also add to the overall cost.

4. Are there any tips for setting up and using a Wii?

Yes, there are a few things to keep in mind when setting up and using your Wii. Make sure to properly calibrate the motion-sensing controllers, keep the area around the console clear for optimal movement, and take breaks to avoid strain or fatigue.

5. Is the Wii a good choice for a family gift?

Absolutely! The Wii is known for its family-friendly games and is a great way to bring everyone together for some active and interactive fun. Plus, with the variety of games available, there's something for everyone to enjoy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefsteph07
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
robochick84
  • tvwalsh72
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
nicki25
Replies