• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

in theSpirit of Christmas Giving

I am pretty sure you could find one of those stores in your area), books are always a huge hit, maybe a booklight for the 7 year old?In summary, the conversation involves a person who works with a guy who has two young daughters and is struggling financially this Christmas. The person wants to do something nice for the family, potentially anonymously, but is unsure about intruding or how their partner would react. They discuss gift ideas, including stuffed animals, WebKinz, Hahhah Montana, High School Musical, Jonas Brothers, coloring books, and dress up clothes. The person ultimately decides to go through with their plan to help the family and suggests potentially getting lip gloss, dress up clothes, books, and a booklight
wadesgirl
Gold Member
DH and I work together. There is a guy we work with who I would consider to be good friends with (we know his family, have hung out a few times but don't do a lot of stuff together). This guy has 2 young daughters. Today I was asking him if he and his family were excited for Christmas. He basically said no since they didn't have that much money this year (they have always struggled for money as far as I know). He said they were getting their daughters a Wii and that was it. I think that's a fantastic gift and told him so. But he just said he wished he had more to give.

So now I'm sitting here thinking... I would like to do something for them. Maybe just a few small gifts for the girls (fun girl stuff). I don't know if I should intrude. I don't know what DH would say (he's a scrooge! I probably wouldn't tell him, I would be spending some of my PC money). I thought about trying to do something anonymously (sp?). What do you think? I always feel like I should do more this time of year and this year I do have some extra money.

Also any gift ideas? I think the girls are 4 and 7 - some where around that age.

My girls who are 3 and 6 y.o. LOVE stuffed animals. If you got them soft, plushy, cuddly bears or something I bet they would dig you forever!! Or if you wanna say from Mom and Dad (but then I think it would be stepping on his manhood). IDK!

wadesgirl said:
DH and I work together. There is a guy we work with who I would consider to be good friends with (we know his family, have hung out a few times but don't do a lot of stuff together). This guy has 2 young daughters. Today I was asking him if he and his family were excited for Christmas. He basically said no since they didn't have that much money this year (they have always struggled for money as far as I know). He said they were getting their daughters a Wii and that was it. I think that's a fantastic gift and told him so. But he just said he wished he had more to give.So now I'm sitting here thinking... I would like to do something for them. Maybe just a few small gifts for the girls (fun girl stuff). I don't know if I should intrude. I don't know what DH would say (he's a scrooge! I probably wouldn't tell him, I would be spending some of my PC money). I thought about trying to do something anonymously (sp?). What do you think? I always feel like I should do more this time of year and this year I do have some extra money.Also any gift ideas? I think the girls are 4 and 7 - some where around that age.
I love being an Anonymous Santa!
So, that's probably how I would go about doing it.Not sure about what to get - all I know about is boy toys!Oh - but he is crazy about WebKinz....I think all kids like them.

Anything Hahhah Montana, High School Musical, or Jonas Brothers...coloring book w/crayons, necklace, lip gloss, barbies...I could go on all day. My daughter just turned 8.

Chef Kearns said:
My girls who are 3 and 6 y.o. LOVE stuffed animals. If you got them soft, plushy, cuddly bears or something I bet they would dig you forever!! Or if you wanna say from Mom and Dad (but then I think it would be stepping on his manhood). IDK!
I would probably make them from Santa!

ChefBeckyD said:
I love being an Anonymous Santa!
So, that's probably how I would go about doing it.

Not sure about what to get - all I know about is boy toys!

Oh - but he is crazy about WebKinz....I think all kids like them.
My neice loves webkinz, they had some sets of them at Walgreens for $10.

urbnk8 said:
Anything Hahhah Montana, High School Musical, or Jonas Brothers...coloring book w/crayons, necklace, lip gloss, barbies...I could go on all day. My daughter just turned 8.
That's the kind of stuff I was thinking plus toe socks, my neices have loved toe socks since they were little.

Okay I think I will do this! Now just have to execute my plan!

I think this is wonderful of you to do! You are truly a great friend. Definently webkinz, lipgloss would probably be a hit, both of my girls love it, dress up clothes (you can get a trunk of them from biglots for $20 this weekend). Just a few ideas from a mom of two girls!

I hesitate on webkinz only b/c they may not be able to use them online. Not everyone has the internet and most definitely not everyone lets there kids on them. HOWEVER, my daughter got one for her 6th birthday thougt it was great.

HER favorite gifts are little stuffed animals b/c she can carry them around.

I gave her a box of 120 crayons and you'd think I gave her the best thing in the world, but she LOVES to color! I think crafts are always the best gift b/c you use them up and it's nice to get new stuff. Plus, it's a gift to parents b/c it's something they can do. I also got a roll of posters to color at Toys R Us. Here's an ebay link so you can see. http://cgi.ebay.ca/COLOR-ZONE-Illustrated-Color-Roll-Princess-Edition-NEW_W0QQitemZ330375904439QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cebf03cb7

She has color books, but not have princesses, which she loves.

I've also just given her fabric squares, which she'll use as a little picnic blanket, a bed, a blanket or today "wrapping paper". Cheap, but versatile. And of course I get pretty fabric (I just get the remnant pieces they sell for cheap).

Of course, I think a Wii is a pretty amazing gift (though it's more for the parents, I would think at those ages). It's just one of those things that it's ONE thing and done.

Have fun!

Here is a suggestion. Pat and I did this a couple of years back for a friend of ours who was down and out at the time. He, single dad, had a boy and girl who were I think at the time were about 8 and 10. What I did was go to K-Mart and got two $50 gift cards. I popped two letters, one to each of them, in the mail with absolutely no return address on them and even went so far as to mail them from two different other cities while at a PC parties! They never did figure out where they came from and each one was used by each of the kids for fun stuff. it was one of the best Christmas presents we ever got!

I would hesitate to make it from Santa.... i would do it anonymously but not with the name santa attached... do you have a dollar tree?
they have great fuzzy velvet posters, coloring books (buy crayola crayons at Target though)
my 16 year old still adores tinkerbell $ tree carries lots of disney thingsalso, have you thought about an inexpensive craft kit (shrinky dinks, weaving sets, paint by #, etc) that can help pass the hours of holiday break. Michaels or hobby lobby always has them on saleWe make up platters of cookies and candy for the neighbors. the ones that have younger children i add:
a box of hot cocoa (& their own Christmas mug from $ store)
jiffy popcorn in the foil pouch (or the bucket)
a couple of fun candies
fun pair of socks
sometimes i also include a couple packages of sugar cookie mix, some sprinkles and a cookie cutter for the kids to do (one of the little boys in kindergarten came over on Dec 1 with my gift from Bath & Body & told me he was wondering when his cookies would be ready.)

My mom is 84 and the years we aren't in Iowa for Christmas we send small gifts wrapped individually crammed in a big stocking ($ Tree has huge like 4 feet felt stockings this year)We send a note to unwrap one thing a day she loves it and it helps pass the time until she gets her the day after Christmas they might enjoy something like that I think its wonderful you are wanting to share the joy you feel with them

Chef Kearns said:

If you have a Kohls close to you..they usually have those Kohls Cares for Kids stuffed animals and books..then you are helping this family..AND helping other kids who need it.

What a beautiful thought! Now you have me thinking...I really don't have the extra money but my hubby has some not-too-hot-anymore toys in his store and I missed the Operation Kids at work this year. I would love to directly give/send some beanies/webkinz or something to someone else in need. May post on Facebook to see if any of my friends know of someone in need...

In my experience, little girls are into different stuff for bigger girls. So I would work with the parents ... maybe drop off the wrapped gifts to them a day or two early so they can put them under the tree. And maybe a small $20 or so gift card so the parents can get stocking stuffers specific to the girls.

Personally, if I had the money to spend on a Wii ... I would not do it! I personally think a LOT of gifts could be spent with that money. But then, i don't know this family ... maybe the girls have been clamoring for it ... or all the kids at school have been talking about it. Who knows.

(Oh and my little niece, who just turned 3, is a technology NUT. After Christmas she helped her aunt and uncles open a PS3 last year. She went to my sister and said, "Oh, Gammy ... Sanks!)

I love ideas shared here and have done the secret Santa thing when I knew of a family in need and we've done other anonymous things for people.

...but. Sorry if this sounds like scrooge but if they can afford to get a Wii I wouldn't worry about them. It was their choice to get one gift vs several little things for each child. Personally, I would have waited on the Wii - maybe started an account to get it (can do this kind of cute like a special savings bank, here's the starting $$ and when ever we can we add to it until we have enough and then we'll go buy it) along with several smaller gifts for each child.

It's possible that they get lots of gifts from family members and so there'll be lots of gifts under the tree after those items are there.

yes, but the wii is something that they can play as a family. My great aunt plays golf on it. People of all ages love it so I think, if that is the way that they wanted to spend their Christmas money, good for them. I think it is more the special thought from you and not the actual gift. Maybe bring over a plate of cookies, some easy crafts or even a gingerbread house kit. Remember at that young age, they are still easy to please.

doughmama said:
yes, but the wii is something that they can play as a family. My great aunt plays golf on it. People of all ages love it so I think, if that is the way that they wanted to spend their Christmas money, good for them.

I think it is more the special thought from you and not the actual gift. Maybe bring over a plate of cookies, some easy crafts or even a gingerbread house kit. Remember at that young age, they are still easy to please.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Wii is a great idea. my point was the parents chose to do one pricy gift vs smaller individual gifts for the kids with the same money. Key word: chose.

What is "in the Spirit of Christmas Giving"?

"In the Spirit of Christmas Giving" is a program created by Pampered Chef to give back to our communities during the holiday season. It allows us to spread joy and generosity by donating products and money to various charities and organizations in need.

How can I get involved in the "in the Spirit of Christmas Giving" program?

There are a few ways you can get involved in the "in the Spirit of Christmas Giving" program. You can purchase a designated product where a portion of the proceeds will go towards the program, make a monetary donation through our website, or volunteer at one of our events.

Which charities and organizations does the "in the Spirit of Christmas Giving" program support?

The "in the Spirit of Christmas Giving" program supports a variety of charities and organizations, including food banks, homeless shelters, children's hospitals, and more. Each year, we carefully select different organizations to support based on their impact and need in the community.

Can I nominate a charity or organization to be a recipient of the "in the Spirit of Christmas Giving" program?

Yes, we welcome nominations for charities and organizations to receive support from our "in the Spirit of Christmas Giving" program. You can submit a nomination through our website and we will review it for consideration.

How does Pampered Chef choose which products will support the "in the Spirit of Christmas Giving" program?

Pampered Chef carefully selects products that align with the spirit of giving and the holiday season to support the "in the Spirit of Christmas Giving" program. These products are not only popular among our customers, but also have a significant impact on the amount we can donate to our chosen charities and organizations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • Teresa Lynn
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jwpamp
  • raebates
  • General Chat
Replies