• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Vent Alert - Why Do I Attract the Crazies and Lazies??

In summary, Scott's four recruits who have successfully qualified for the program in the last two years all quit shortly after joining, one because of a mental health issue and three because they could not find enough bookings. He has since changed his recruitment methods to focus on coaching recruits weekly and qualifying them through doing sales, but is now feeling like he is just a consultant. A member of the board with similar experience to Scott's has offered to help.
susanr613
Gold Member
:cry:I have had 4 recruits in my almost 2 years in PC and I am down to one, and they will go inactive in a couple months. One signed and then called me from the psych ward (bipolar, meds were out of kilter) when she was supposed to be training with me and lining up her shows. One started strong, then petered out when her insurance benefits changed and she could no longer visit her preferred therapist (her meds changed too). One quit when she had to start making calls to get bookings. The last one is a couple, who keep telling me they are going to make those calls, they have leads, etc....then don't do it. I do make an concientious effort to train them and set up weekly coaching calls.

In the meantime, my director keeps including me in whatever the latest iteration of the director development program is, and I feel like maybe I am just meant to be a consultant.

I am mostly venting, but if you want to offer words of wisdom (other than "stop whining") please do.

waa waa waaaaaaa

Email me directly - I have a coaching guide that can help;take out the spaces, insert the symbolsscott cooks AT hotmail DOT comUsing it consistently, I have been able to qualify 4 of the last 4 I have recruited, 2 in 30 days!(I'd rather not post it here too long.)

Last edited:
Scott, can I get a copy too? ;) (e-mail in my signature)

Susan (((hugs)))Hopefully things will start turning around for you soon!!

scottcooks said:
Email me directly - I have a coaching guide that can help;

Using it consistently, I have been able to qualify 4 of the last 4 I have recruited, 2 in 30 days!

Can I get a copy...pretty please?? :angel:

[email protected]

Sounds like Scott needs to just post it on here! LOLBut we are still thinking about YOU Susan! Hopefully you'll reel in a good catch very soon!

Sorry, Susan, I have no magic words of wisdom. My one recruit qualified because she wanted every free thing she could earn (and DID). Her recruit is facing her second month of being inactive, unless some miracle happens in the next 4 days (well, not really inactive, since she never did qualify)!

I can say, though, I don't think it's you, personally. From what I've learned about you on this board, you are a conscientous, kind, considerate, hard-working person. Just keep sharing the opportunity, and God will open the ears of the right people . . . eventually.

Scott - I'm jumping on the bandwagon, too. My addy is [email protected].

Susan, I feel your pain. I just pretty much had this same conversation with my director yesterday. What I think I figured out is I need to start interviewing better. Just because we think this is a great opportunity for everyone, doesn't necessarily mean it is a good 'fit' for some. So it is up to us to help them figure this out. There is a fine line between 'pre-judging' and helping them figure out if it is right for them, though. So we need to think back to our past recruits and what might have been red flags as we were interviewing them. .... I think when they really focus hard on the minimum sales is one flag. Nothing wrong with just being a hobbiest (I have a great one on my team) but at least if we know they are going to be a hobbiest and are always teetering on the edge, we won't be suprised. ....

The second is I am no longer going to sign at the show. I don't want them to loose the excitement, but I also want them to have 4 - 6 SOLID shows on their agreement. Not just 'well, my mom will do one and my sister should, then i could ask my friend and I guess my cousin will help'... I want to get them off to a strong start and I think by making sure they have these shows booked and ready it will help. I have a girl signing on Sunday and she has 4 shows booked already and one catty already going. She is going to get off to a great start!

Anyhow, you asked for words of wisdom. Those are mine. don't know how wise, but there you go. I focus on being a consultant first, director second. When I focus on being a director first, it all suffers. (my team isn't that big tho! LOL!)

Sheila said:
Sounds like Scott needs to just post it on here! LOL

Agreed! Can you do that for us, Scott?

Susan, the thread title made me laugh. Hang in there, keep asking and you're bound to get someone who wants to make something out of their business.

Susan, all I can say is that I am SURROUNDED by people like that in my personal life, and at the moment, LIVING with one is NO PICNIC! In the past 24 hours I have had to go "dumpster diving" in the otherwise empty recycle bin to retrieve ads from the Sunday paper, re-wash my bar pan with baking soda because I discovered it had been washed with SOAP for MONTHS (at least it never went in the dishwasher ... I think!) and go on a 5 minute "treasure hunt" to find where the box to my quick stir pitcher was hidden!

Thanks so much Charity and Di....and everyone else! Scott, thanks so much for offering to send me the coaching guide. I could not find your e-mail, so I PMed you with my e-mail address [email protected].

Charity, I agree with you that there are red flags when you're interviewing, and I do not sign someone until he/she has 4 shows scheduled. I learned that from my director. When I think back to the "lazies" I can see that there were red flags, but I ignored them.

Thanks again for listening and responding...back to the drawing board!

I knew I had seen soemthing from Scott before, and even downloaded it for myself, but since I'm at work, I can't get to my files. I did a bit of searching, and found this:

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f10/recruiting-support-37582/

I'm not sure if that's what Scott is referring to in the above post, but it very well might be!

Wa-HOO! NooraK wins the prize!!That's it. I didn't realize I had posted it here before. I developed it from someone else's.Truly - it works!(1) Print it out
(2) Get it (a PAPER COPY) into the hands of the consultant
(3) Go over it with them point by point; walk them through it.
(4) please let me know if there are typos / revamping! Thanks.It gives them a global understanding of the sales end of our awesome businessPS - I updated my original post with my email address. Please email me and I'll zap it to you--I'm on a different computer right now.

I'll go through and mail to everyone late tonight. Gotta get back to my 'other job!'

The second part says something about not brining the Bar Pan because it doesn't fit "ovens here in Germany." That may not apply to the majority of us. :D

scottcooks said:
Email me directly - I have a coaching guide that can help;

take out the spaces, insert the symbols

scott cooks AT hotmail DOT com

Using it consistently, I have been able to qualify 4 of the last 4 I have recruited, 2 in 30 days!

(I'd rather not post it here too long.)

Scott I would love to have it as well, I have lost 1 recruit in the past 30 days and do not want to lose another!

Thanks! :)

Susan, I totally agree with you!

I just had a lady at a party, who was asking great questions about the opportunity and seemed interested until....

I started getting the "attitude" questions-
- Can I order a product and try it before I pay for it?
- If someone calls you for a recipe, do you get paid for it?
- Does the person hosting the show pay for your gas?
- If you are my recruiter, do you give me people to call and tell me who is interested?

Other questions & Comments that I have had in the past-
- Do you try out ALL of the recipes and taste them?
(Okay, I have to admit this is one that really T'd me off, because I am overweight. I am aware of this and do NOT need it pointed out to me Thank you. I know that this question was directed at my weight because I overheard her tell the person next to her "If I did what she does, I would gain so much weight and I don't want to look like that.")

-So, I have to find my own shows and customers? And call them on a regular basis just to touch base? Oh, I can't do all that I need to have a part-time/ full-time where I don't have to work that hard. (Really, please tell me where this magical job is located. I just told you that I really only work about 10-15 hours per week, and that is because I want to do this full-time! But you were just complaining of not getting enough hours at your real job and only making $7.50/hr) AHGGGG!

The list could really go on and on, but I choose to jusy Bless and Release! Because I will not allow you to bring down my business!

Good Luck Susan!

Just quickly skimmed them and in #2 it said something about "SOFA Regulations" --- what is that??

Not to feel bad, Susan, I signed a new recruit three months ago, met with her personally and didn't feel too good about it, but what do you do when they are sitting there at the computer and want to sign....she had a nervous breakdown the next day and has been out of touch....just keep trying, eventually one will take, LOL.

chefcharity said:
So we need to think back to our past recruits and what might have been red flags as we were interviewing them. .... I think when they really focus hard on the minimum sales is one flag.

This is probably true in many cases but if Caressa had not followed-up with me as frequently as she did after she heard me say that I liked that the minimum was low, that it felt really manageable and that I only wanted to do that....wow, who knows.

Because I was that person...I thought oh $150 is easy, I can do 1 show a month, it would just be nice to get a little bit of extra income. Not to say I'm like blowing anyone out of the water but my whole attitude changed when I started feeling competitive and wanting all the incentives. I'm doing well over the $150 I thought I'd just do to stay active, I'm doing 4 shows a month on average and earning enough incentives to make me happy, and I'm working on a few recruit leads now too (which although I didn't say out loud, I really thought I wouldn't be trying to do!).

But all that said, now that I'm starting to get some leads, I AM worried about what if they aren't as motivated as me, what if they don't care about "qualifying", etc. so I appreciate what all of you have shared in this thread! I find it really frustrating that I'm my own example of how you just never know what a person will do, or can do, no matter what they SAY they will do or want to do in the beginning!

MLinAZ said:
This is probably true in many cases but if Caressa had not followed-up with me as frequently as she did after she heard me say that I liked that the minimum was low, that it felt really manageable and that I only wanted to do that....wow, who knows.

Because I was that person...I thought oh $150 is easy, I can do 1 show a month, it would just be nice to get a little bit of extra income. Not to say I'm like blowing anyone out of the water but my whole attitude changed when I started feeling competitive and wanting all the incentives. I'm doing well over the $150 I thought I'd just do to stay active, I'm doing 4 shows a month on average and earning enough incentives to make me happy, and I'm working on a few recruit leads now too (which although I didn't say out loud, I really thought I wouldn't be trying to do!).

But all that said, now that I'm starting to get some leads, I AM worried about what if they aren't as motivated as me, what if they don't care about "qualifying", etc. so I appreciate what all of you have shared in this thread! I find it really frustrating that I'm my own example of how you just never know what a person will do, or can do, no matter what they SAY they will do or want to do in the beginning!

This is the PERFECT example of how you just never know how a new recruit will turn out!! Michelle is right...she made it really clear to me that she wanted to do the biz AND she'd work it to stay active.

Fast forward to now....HOLY FREAKIN' COW!!! She is a SUPERSTAR! She did her first few shows in her first 30 days and now, she's a booking and selling machine!

I have been back and forth with all different types of team members. I no longer try to judge or figure out how I think they will "perform". I have had new recruits talk a BIG talk - and I thought, "wow....they are really going to take off in their biz! Glad they are on my team and I can help them reach their goals!"....then......N O T H I N G. On the flip side, several recruits (like Michelle) were wanting to "stay active" and now, from like month #2, they are incredible and working their biz to the fullest.

As you build a team, all you can do is support and be there for them. It's up to them whether or not they are going to do anything with their biz, obviously :p It's just not "worth it" to get hung up on if they don't qualify or whatever. I used to really focus on that stuff and take it personally (for some strange odd reason) and all that did was bog me down. Yes, it does and can get frustrating but all in all it's all a numbers game. Some will be performers and others won't. Just keep recruiting and it will all balance out :thumbup:

Susan.. dont feel discouraged. I just totaly freaked out in my office when I got off the phone with HO. I had to shut the door to my office because tears were rolling down my face.
How about a story from a new consulant who almost sent an entire "i quit, this bites, WTF" email to my director. Luckilly, I got to take a few breaths and revise my email before I sent it out. Heres a letter I just sent to my director....

Hi xxxxxx,

I am quite upset with myself because apparently I went inactive in July because I did not submit $150 in sales, I only had $55. I was aware that I did not meet 150, however I was under the impression that I had until August before I went inactive.

That is not the case as I found out today on the phone with home office. The only thing they do to you after your second consecutive month is take away your sales record.

Also, I am not eligible for kit enhancement for August because I was not active the 3 consecutive months prior to my 4th month, which REALLY makes me cringe. I just don't feel that it is fair to take away the 4th month reward for a new consultant, that is designed to help her grow her business because of a $100 short fall. I mean how discouraging! Especially when I had such a great first cooking show over $1000. So now am I supposed to want to run out and be some great consultant after getting screwed out of something that I have been waiting 4 months for. I really wanted to build up my line of products, so I have not purchased most of the items I wanted, because I was waiting for kit enhancement. I know $150 is not that much in sales to make each month, but people have a life outside of PC and sometimes, that life comes first. I just don't think we should go inactive after only 30 days of unproductive sales. ( I know you don't make the rules, I just have to vent to someone who understands) But I know that's the way it goes and the rules apparently don't bend. I have no one to blame but myself because I didn't stay on top of things. I don't want to give up because I really love Pampered Chef, and I believe in their products. I love their products. I just think their "business plan" can use some tweaking.

Regards,
Jane

PS: I am still undecided if I will submit the order I have as a consultant or place it as an ISO on my website....if that has not gone inactive as well.

I hope it was not to harsh.... i am just so bummed out about the whole thing.

Here are the updated versions - I fixed a typo or 2 in Guide #1 and reworked Guide #2 (a great "idea" of how things go)

(give them time to download - #2 is particularly big)

Attachments

• Scott's New Consultant Training #1.doc
    1.3 MB · Views: 404
  • Scott's New Consultant Training #2.doc
    1.8 MB · Views: 457

1. Why do I keep attracting recruits who end up quitting or going inactive?

There could be a variety of reasons why you attract certain types of recruits. It could be due to your recruiting methods, the type of people you are targeting, or even your own personality and communication style. It's important to reflect on your recruiting efforts and see if there are any areas you can improve on.

2. How can I prevent my recruits from quitting or going inactive?

Unfortunately, you can't control the actions of others and ultimately it is up to your recruits to stay committed to their business. However, you can provide them with the necessary support and training to help them succeed. Make sure to have open and honest communication with your recruits and address any concerns or challenges they may be facing. Encourage them to attend training events and connect with other consultants for motivation and support.

3. Is it common to experience a high turnover rate in direct sales?

Yes, it is common for direct sales companies to have a high turnover rate. It's a business model that requires a lot of dedication, hard work, and self-motivation. Not everyone is cut out for this type of work and it's natural for people to change their minds or face challenges that lead them to quit or go inactive.

4. Should I continue trying to recruit or focus on my own business?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. If your main focus is on growing your own business, then it may be best to focus on that rather than trying to recruit. However, if you do want to continue recruiting, it's important to find a balance between recruiting and growing your own business.

5. What can I do to improve my success in recruiting?

First, make sure you have a clear understanding of your target audience and tailor your recruiting efforts towards them. It's also important to have a strong support system in place for your recruits, whether it's through training, coaching, or connecting them with other consultants. Most importantly, always be open to learning and improving your recruiting strategies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedharriet
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
  • rennea
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • ChefBeckyD