• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Could Just Spit Nails....vent Alert!

In summary, my mom is getting a Pit Bull from her half-brained brother and I am seething. I am worried about her and the dog.)
chefann said:
That was my first thought, too. Maybe she'd be OK now, but as the disease progresses, not so much. And it sounds like SIL and B wouldn't be much help taking care of it.

Can you contact a local hospital or nursing home to get the name of a handler of a therapy dog? They may be willing to make scheduled visits on a regular basis, so your mom can get the benefits of a pet without having to care for it.

At this point, there is no reasoning with her. She has decided she needs a dog, and she won't let it go. With Alzheimers...they have no short term memory, except for when something gets stuck in their brain, and they can't let it go. Right now, if I talk to her 6 times a day, the conversation every time will be the exact same conversation about the dog. She won't be open to having a dog visit - there is already a dog in the house, but she wants her OWN dog.:rolleyes: Somehow, she is convinced that this pit bull is going to be a lapdog.

ChefBeckyD said:
At this point, there is no reasoning with her. She has decided she needs a dog, and she won't let it go. With Alzheimers...they have no short term memory, except for when something gets stuck in their brain, and they can't let it go. Right now, if I talk to her 6 times a day, the conversation every time will be the exact same conversation about the dog. She won't be open to having a dog visit - there is already a dog in the house, but she wants her OWN dog.:rolleyes: Somehow, she is convinced that this pit bull is going to be a lapdog.

I know this is a bad situation, but that made me laugh.

So sorry Becky that you know have this extra headache about the extra dog. The one dog in the house is more than enough and it's too bad that they didn't try to make her feel that their dog was "her" dog. I know in my situation here that that the doctors want him to have a dog as part of his "well being" and on the most part he can still take her for walks and feed her. I know this will change down the road but then again I am here so it's not his "sole" responsibility. I think you should check with her doctor's too as different stages of the illness can make a difference. I know how stubborn my DH gets once he is on a "kick" and can sympathize. It is no fun and they can't always have their way. Good luck and do have a talk with the Humane Society as they need to be careful on who they let adopt which pets and the circumstances involved.

Sending hugs your way!!!!!!!

pitbull = no good. Becky, I know your "good" brother and SIL live just one county over from me. I'm sure they will remember the elderly woman in my county who was mauled (& killed) in her own yard by her neighbors 3 pitbulls. That owner is now serving jail time. Maybe you should share that story with your brother who went the HS to get the dog.

as for the HS, I'm pretty sure they want to know all persons living in the house with the animal. I'm pretty sure when the vet hears this he will deny their application.

Last edited:
oh, one more thing. Ask your brother who is attempting to the adopt the dog if he is aware that Michael Vick's dogs are now being adopted too. Might want to find out where the dog came from to begin with........

Would she remember the specific dog? You know how it is very easy to fall in love w/a cute loveable puppy/dog. How about getting a subsitute so she can get attached to it first. (that is if she really is going to have her own dog)

I feel awful for your mom. I hope that you are able to figure out something that will be better for her well being. My dachshund has biting issues as well. He is a little mental, though, always has been from the time he was a puppy. He has seizures as well.

What concerns me the most though is your B and SIL's judgement, or lack there of. Are they really the best people for your mom to be living with if they can't even help her get a nice sweet dog to keep her company?

So sorry you are going through all of this.

UPDATE!

Much to my relief....and after talking to her several times, and my older brother & SIL also talking to her, my mom has decided to get a cat instead!

I am so thrilled - I'm going to buy her some cat toys!

Thanks everyone for letting me vent, and for all of your help and encouragement!

Good news Becky! What kind of cat?

pamperedlinda said:
Good news Becky! What kind of cat?

No particular kind - she is going to the Humane Society tomorrow to pick one that will be a lap cat.

Now, let's just pray she doesn't get the pit bull track stuck in her brain again between now and then!:eek:

Glad to hear everything is working out for the better! :)

Okie Dokie, just keep her away from Sigfried and Roy :)

Oh, that's great! :)

Oh, a lap cat will be MUCH better for her than a pit bull! And I'm with you Becky - praying that the pit bull idea doesn't come around again.

Oh Becky... I am so glad this situation is looking up! I was cringing as I read your first post.

I hope someone is documenting these bad ideas your brother and his wife have "helped" your mom with. I would even get someone from the HS to say that yes this was the dog originaly picked out for mom with caregivers knowledge and encouragement. It may help you down the road if you are trying to get her out of their care.

pamperedlinda said:
Okie Dokie, just keep her away from Sigfried and Roy :)

lol Linda - too funny (in a sad sort of way...)

Yeah- cats rock!!!

Oh my Becky! I just got home from a long weekend trip and saw this - man you had a rough W/E!The first thought that came to mind was:
I keep saying the problem with the gene pool is that it has no lifeguard.
Then:
You can't fix stupid....and then a line from Homeward Bound:
"Cats rule and dogs drool.";)Glad things are looking up. My dogs say no pit bulls allowed with your mom either.
My cat says, way to go on the cat! I'd also advise that they look for a nice older cat. We adopted ours at age 11 and she has been WONDERFUL! Besides, knowing your mom probably won't live longer than a kitten since then can live to almost 20, a nice slightly mature cat might be great for her!

glad to hear that they have had a change of heart~not only for your Mom's sake but for SIL's little one!

janetupnorth said:
My cat says, way to go on the cat! I'd also advise that they look for a nice older cat. We adopted ours at age 11 and she has been WONDERFUL! Besides, knowing your mom probably won't live longer than a kitten since then can live to almost 20, a nice slightly mature cat might be great for her!

Not to mention she would be doing a wonderful thing since it's harder to adopt out the older cats. People always go for the kittens.

Whew! What a relief. You'll all remain in my prayers.

I was going to suggest a cat as I was reading page 2 of this post and behold, I kept reading! :) I'm so glad to hear your Mom is getting a cat instead. My two oldest are 8 year old Harvey (avatar picture) and 7 year old Gina and they are both so sweet and cuddly. They could sit next to me on the couch for hours and get petted. Not like my younger ones that tear around the apartment like crazy cats. I think a cat over 5 years old would be perfect. Will someone be able to trim the cat's claws for her so that she won't be accidentally poked by them?

what a relief! a cat makes a sensible alternative to a pitbull (or any dog, given her circumstances). I'll keep you & your mom in my prayers. Glad this all worked out.

So sorry you have to add this dog and all that could happen to your plate. I don't have a dog and am not much of a dog person...so I don't know what else to say. I hope you are able to reach a happy solution for everyone.

Well, Becky, I'm just now reading this thread. Glad there will be no pit bull anywhere near my running route. Not a cat fan either, but I'm not afraid of them when I'm out running. KWIM? I may have called the humane society myself if your bro and mom were still looking into this. Not a fan of dogs in any way shape or form unless they aren't breathing.

So glad things are looking better for you mom!

Great news Becky I'm sooo glad! The cat toys is a great idea, it will be a constant visual to remind her she wants a cat.

Hope the cat helps her out and keeps her focused.

I was going to say she needed a cat!
Growing up with a pit bull mix I will say the biggest thing is they take a lot of work! They are very active dogs and require a lot of attention. We got ours when my brother and I were older, I think I was like twelve so brother would have been 14. (She passed away last summer. She was 12yrs old. People like to think that pits don't live long.) Along with my mom it took all 3 of us to "raise" her and take care of her like she needed to taken care of. She was never comfortable around small kids. She never growled at them but you could tell she was nervous. The unpredictability of the disease your mother has to deal with could cause her to do things a child may do and that is not good for a dog, especially a pit bull. AS our dog got older she was very protective of my children but she was OLD! Most old dogs don't pay attention to people.
I'm not saying I love Pit Bulls ours was a mutt. I can't believe the horror stories I hear about dog bites. My brother was bit by a German Sheppard and I was bit by a cocker spaniel. Any dog will bite, a nice mellow cat will suit your mom well in my opinion!

I have a friend that has a pitbull (well, a mix but mostly pit bull) and when he pulls on the leash it is hard for me to hold it sometimes. I am SO relieved to hear your Mom is getting a cat instead.

<h2>1. Why did your mom choose a pit bull as her new dog?</h2><p>My brother and sister-in-law took her to the humane society and let her pick out a dog for herself. She chose a pit bull.</p><h2>2. Are you worried about your mom's safety with the pit bull?</h2><p>Yes, I am very concerned about my mom's safety. She has Alzheimer's and can be unpredictable and volatile, and now she is paired with a dog that has the same traits.</p><h2>3. What is your brother's reasoning for getting a pit bull for your mom?</h2><p>I cannot speak for my brother, but it seems like a poor decision to get a potentially dangerous dog for someone who cannot fully take care of themselves.</p><h2>4. How do you plan on addressing this issue with your brother and sister-in-law?</h2><p>I plan on discussing my concerns with them and expressing my worry for my mom's safety. I also plan on discussing the potential danger to my son and the need for him to not be around the pit bull.</p><h2>5. Are you open to changing your mind about pit bulls?</h2><p>While I respect and understand that some people may have positive experiences with pit bulls, I personally have had negative experiences and do not feel comfortable around them. I do not plan on changing my mind about this breed.</p>

1. Why did your mom choose a pit bull as her new dog?

My brother and sister-in-law took her to the humane society and let her pick out a dog for herself. She chose a pit bull.

2. Are you worried about your mom's safety with the pit bull?

Yes, I am very concerned about my mom's safety. She has Alzheimer's and can be unpredictable and volatile, and now she is paired with a dog that has the same traits.

3. What is your brother's reasoning for getting a pit bull for your mom?

I cannot speak for my brother, but it seems like a poor decision to get a potentially dangerous dog for someone who cannot fully take care of themselves.

4. How do you plan on addressing this issue with your brother and sister-in-law?

I plan on discussing my concerns with them and expressing my worry for my mom's safety. I also plan on discussing the potential danger to my son and the need for him to not be around the pit bull.

5. Are you open to changing your mind about pit bulls?

While I respect and understand that some people may have positive experiences with pit bulls, I personally have had negative experiences and do not feel comfortable around them. I do not plan on changing my mind about this breed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • smspamperedchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sk8rgrrl99
  • pcsharon1