• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Puppy Training Advice: Tips for a New Dog Owner with a Excitable Pup

and feed me random bits of food. They have also begun to bring me out for short periods of time at unpredictable times, allowing me to stretch my legs but never letting me leave. However, today was the day I saw the opportunity to escape. As my captors were walking by my cell with food, I leapt out and ran as fast as I could in the other direction. For the first time in 983 days, I was free! I ran and ran, but eventually grew tired and had to stop to catch my breath. Now, as I lay in the tall grass, I can hear the laughter of my captors...and I know that I will never see the daylight again.
GeorgiaPeach
Silver Member
I know alot of you have pets so I am seeking your advice.

My son (13) has always wanted a dog. My husband always had a dog growing up but the only pets I was allowed to have were fish! I've finally gotten to the place where I've agreed to have a dog. We just bought a house with a nice, fenced yard.

So...Saturday we adopted a beautiful, black 4 month old puppy. She is a c.o.c.k.e.r. spaniel mix. She is very sweet and mellow. The problem is...she pees every time she sees us if we've been out of the house or room. I know she's just excited but is there any way to get her to stop? She also pees when she thinks you're mad at her.

Any thoughts or suggestions? This whole puppy training stuff is new to me. My husband is not much help cause he can't remember having a dog do this. I've been reading the Dog Whisperer book but he covers more destructive behavior. She's not bad..she just pees...not alot but I still want it to stop.

We breed golden retrievers and have experience with puppies, so I opened this post thinking I could help you with your puppy issue, but I can't ...LOL.

My parents had a puppy like yours and to this day when she is scared or excited to see you she pees. She is almost 5 years old.

cockers tend to be like that when young.. I've had cockers over the years and currently have 4 now... mine range in age of 9, 1, and 6 months. the youngest one still has that problem but she's getting better. All of them tend to piddle some they think I'm upset with them.

We normally rush in the front door, and open the back door as soon as we can. we try to skip the petting and things till they come back in.. but if we hesitate any the puppy dribbles through the house enroute to the back door.

elizabethfox said:
My parents had a puppy like yours and to this day when she is scared or excited to see you she pees. She is almost 5 years old.

Thanks for giving me hope, Elizabeth! :p Actually, I'm afraid this is going to be the answer. Maybe I should consider getting rid of all my carpet :(

Awwww how cute. I love that female dog on Lady and the Tramp. She is so pretty!

Anyway we have a german shepherd (Bella) who is 7 months old now and the best way to train her was to get her a kennel. We set up the crate kennel in the garage and put her in there at night. During the day she was out and about playing everywhere with our kiddos. But at night she slept in the crate, it was funny she never peed or pooped in that crate. It was her sleeping place and she always held it until morning. I mean one time we were out forever and she had an accident but other than that she waited to go outside. So I suggest getting her a kennel at night and taking her out a few times a day to let her know it's time for her to go. It might take some time depending on her age. Now Bella is an outdoors doggie with her very own dog house.
And also make sure you have a designated time to feed her throughout the day. Do not leave the water and food out all day for her to graze on.
Debbie :D

We do the crate thing too and it works really well. We started with this right away and have only had a couple accidents. Best of luck to you. We also put a teddy bear in the crate to keep our puppy company at night. No whinning at all.

Excerpts from a Dog's Diary......

8:00 am - Dog food! My favourite thing!

9:30 am -
A car ride! My favourite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favourite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favourite thing!

12:00 pm - Lunch! My favourite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favourite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favourite thing!

5:00 pm - Milk bones! My favourite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favourite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favourite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favourite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary. ..

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or
some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly
clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to
disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had
hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates
what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about
what a 'good little hunter' I am. B*stards.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in
solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the
noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power
of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors
by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow --
but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog
receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more
than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the
guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have
arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For
now................

My daschund always peed when she met us at the door. She was house trained but nothing stopped her from doing it. We tried to not pet her as we walked in the door and that helped with it. We would pet her when she got calmer after we had been in the house a few minutes.

It's called submissive urination- I would research your training options online. I also agree with the kennel training- it isn't mean- dogs love dens... I bought a HUGE wire crate and our youngest Golden, Laney would faithfully walk into her crate on her own each night at 8:00 pm for the first 2 years of her life- she now sleeps on the couch... Which is why I don't own nice furniture. LOL

Terry, those diaries are hysterical...love the cat's diary :)

We do have a crate for her and she stays in it at night and when we leave the house. She's still having trouble going outside to pee on a regular basis. When we take her out sometimes she'll go, sometimes she won't. I know she's still learning how to live with us :) and know eventually she'll learn to go each time we take her out. We are taking her to the same place and saying the same phrase each time.

I read about not making eye contact or greeting her when we first come home and taking her out immediately. So far, that hasn't helped.

I am hoping that she'll outgrown this phase....quickly :)

GeorgiaPeach said:
Terry, those diaries are hysterical...love the cat's diary :)

We do have a crate for her and she stays in it at night and when we leave the house. She's still having trouble going outside to pee on a regular basis. When we take her out sometimes she'll go, sometimes she won't. I know she's still learning how to live with us :) and know eventually she'll learn to go each time we take her out. We are taking her to the same place and saying the same phrase each time.

I read about not making eye contact or greeting her when we first come home and taking her out immediately. So far, that hasn't helped.

I am hoping that she'll outgrown this phase....quickly :)

Don't take offense to this- but this book "Puppies for Dummies" is really helpful... I bought it before we got our first dog, and I'm not a pet dummy- but the info was helpful. Maybe that might work for you? :)

But she'll learn. We just kept taking our puppies out every 30 minutes, or more often if they had just played hard and kept saying "Go potty Laney" Or Go Potty Spirit...and they caught on. Now I can take them out, and tell them to go and they do it pretty much on command! :) Which works when they've recently been out but we need to leave the house for several hours.

HTH

There are also NO GO spray's you can buy that detract them from peeing somewhere, and puppy pads work great. When ChefMeg is done with my Dog Whisperer book, have her mail it to you! :)

We had similar issues with our dog. The vet told us to do what you're doing - don't make eye contact or greet her. He told us to pretty much ignore Oscar for the first 5 or 10 minutes, and then casually walk to the door and let him out. It took a couple of weeks, but it has helped tremendously. He still gets excited when someone comes to the door, so if we know someone's coming we put him in his kennel and wait a little bit before we let him out. We have the visitor ignore him for a few minutes when Oscar is out of the kennel.

It takes time, but it should work!

Good luck and congrats on your new puppy!

show us pics when you get a chance! I had a cocker spaniel named Charlie when I was little (Lady Charolet of Green Meadow) or something strange like that- we just called her charlie!

I loved her!

Kacey,

Have you not caused enough trouble? Now you are calling me a dummy?! :D

My son and I went to Barnes and Nobles and bought the Dog Whisperer. I saw the "dummies" book, might go back and get it. We had decided we would go back and get a book about the specific breed once we adopted.

Maybe I'll go tonight and see what I can find.

I took some pics of her today but can't find the camera cord! She really is a beautiful dog but she's solid black and doesn't photo well.

GeorgiaPeach said:
Kacey,

Have you not caused enough trouble? Now you are calling me a dummy?! :D

My son and I went to Barnes and Nobles and bought the Dog Whisperer. I saw the "dummies" book, might go back and get it. We had decided we would go back and get a book about the specific breed once we adopted.

Maybe I'll go tonight and see what I can find.

I took some pics of her today but can't find the camera cord! She really is a beautiful dog but she's solid black and doesn't photo well.

I guess trouble seems to find me these days, does't it! :) LOL...well trouble always seems to find the most memorable people...

Anyway- I hear you on the doesn't photo well. Camilla is gray and orange and cream and is so cute- but her gray does NOT photo well.

A book on the specific breed will help wonders for you! Best of luck with the little piddler...she sounds adorable!!

Terry - those dog and cat diaries are hilarious!! Thank you for posting that, I hadn't seen it before. Ain't it the truth?!

If you are able and have the time when you come home, open the door, allow the dog to come outside, walk over to where you want your puppy to piddle, and say the words you want to use. When I trained my latest dog, I always said "Go potty" if I wanted him to pee, and "Go poop" for that bodily function. It really worked. Definitely do not acknowledge your puppy, even if there is an accident, because they don't know they did something wrong, but they got you to react. They will repeat that action to get you to react to them again, even if it is to scold. You local pet store should also have books to help you with all levels of training.

GeorgiaPeach said:
Thanks for giving me hope, Elizabeth! :p Actually, I'm afraid this is going to be the answer. Maybe I should consider getting rid of all my carpet :(

LOL. Sorry to be absolutely no help to you!

I have been watching this show on the animal channel called "It's Me or The Dog." It has all kinds of tips on how to train your dogs. I think the British gal is even on America's Greatest Dog if you watch it at all. You simply have to truly ignore them until they are completely calm and then pet them when thay are settled. You should check out the show and see what I am talking about. she has those dogs trained in minutes!!!

chefallison53 said:
I have been watching this show on the animal channel called "It's Me or The Dog." It has all kinds of tips on how to train your dogs. I think the British gal is even on America's Greatest Dog if you watch it at all. You simply have to truly ignore them until they are completely calm and then pet them when thay are settled. You should check out the show and see what I am talking about. she has those dogs trained in minutes!!!

Actually, my daughter and I saw the show a few weeks ago. She was good. I've been trying to find the Dog Whisperer but haven't seen him yet. All day yesterday I took her outside on the porch when my husband came home (he came and went 3 times yesterday) and when a friend stopped by. She peed on the porch but at least it wasn't my carpet.

Last night my husband ran an errand and I told him to try coming in and ignoring her, not making any eye contact until she was calmed down. He walked in with his head turned, she followed him in to the kitchen (tile floor)....then he bends down..."Oh how's my girl? Have you been a good girl?" Of course, she peed on the floor! I said, "What happened to ignoring her!!!??" He said, "Oops, I forgot." WHAT?? You forgot? It was 30 seconds!!

Guess I should start a thread on training HUSBANDS! :D

GeorgiaPeach said:
Actually, my daughter and I saw the show a few weeks ago. She was good. I've been trying to find the Dog Whisperer but haven't seen him yet. All day yesterday I took her outside on the porch when my husband came home (he came and went 3 times yesterday) and when a friend stopped by. She peed on the porch but at least it wasn't my carpet.

Last night my husband ran an errand and I told him to try coming in and ignoring her, not making any eye contact until she was calmed down. He walked in with his head turned, she followed him in to the kitchen (tile floor)....then he bends down..."Oh how's my girl? Have you been a good girl?" Of course, she peed on the floor! I said, "What happened to ignoring her!!!??" He said, "Oops, I forgot." WHAT?? You forgot? It was 30 seconds!!

Guess I should start a thread on training HUSBANDS! :D

Bahaaahaaahaaa- good luck! ;)

Some dogs are piddlers and I'm sad to say they never grown out of it. But on the bright side I did say some ;)
Just a small FYI~ be very careful to not take your puppy to places like Petsmart and dog parks till it has had all three Parvo shots. We got a puppy for Easter and four days later she got Parvo. She almost didn't make it and cost us close to $3000. Do you homework and protect your puppy!

colegrovet said:
Excerpts from a Dog's Diary......

8:00 am - Dog food! My favourite thing!

9:30 am -
A car ride! My favourite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favourite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favourite thing!

12:00 pm - Lunch! My favourite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favourite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favourite thing!

5:00 pm - Milk bones! My favourite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favourite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favourite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favourite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary. ..

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or
some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly
clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to
disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had
hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates
what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about
what a 'good little hunter' I am. B*stards.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in
solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the
noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power
of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors
by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow --
but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog
receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more
than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the
guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have
arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For
now................

Oh my goodness!! This is just TOO FUNNY!! Good thing I wasn't drinking something when I started reading the cat commentary!!

1. How can I control my puppy's excitement when meeting new people?

One way to control your puppy's excitement is by using positive reinforcement training. Whenever your puppy approaches someone calmly, give them a treat and praise them. This will teach them that calm behavior is rewarded. You can also try redirecting their attention to a toy or a command, such as "sit" or "stay", to help them focus and stay calm.

2. What should I do if my puppy becomes too rough during playtime?

If your puppy becomes too rough during playtime, it's important to teach them appropriate play behavior. When they become too rough, stop playing and say "no" in a firm voice. You can also redirect their attention to a toy or a command. Consistency is key in teaching them what is acceptable behavior during playtime.

3. How can I potty train my puppy?

Potty training takes patience and consistency. Take your puppy outside frequently, especially after meals and naps, and praise them when they go potty outside. If they have an accident inside, clean it up without scolding them. It's also helpful to establish a routine and to take them to the same spot outside each time. With time and positive reinforcement, your puppy will learn where to go potty.

4. What should I do if my puppy starts chewing on furniture or shoes?

Chewing is a natural behavior for puppies, but it's important to redirect their chewing to appropriate items. Make sure your puppy has plenty of chew toys and praise them when they use them. If they start chewing on something they shouldn't, firmly say "no" and redirect their attention to a chew toy. It's also helpful to puppy-proof your home by keeping items out of reach.

5. How can I socialize my puppy with other dogs?

Socializing your puppy with other dogs is important for their development. Start by introducing them to friendly, well-behaved dogs in a controlled setting. Gradually increase the time and number of dogs they interact with. Always supervise the interactions and intervene if necessary. It's also important to continue socializing your puppy as they grow to prevent any fear or aggression towards other dogs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• etteluap70PC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefmary
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies