• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Uugh! Completely and Thoroughly Frustrated!

not taking away...flour. My grandmother's old metal cookie press is MUCH easier to use-I'm not sure why all the newer ones are so difficult!
Sk8Mom209
Gold Member
I have had my cookie press for about a year and have not had the opportunity to use it. I was going to do a cookie party last Christmas, but never got around to it and now I am glad I didn't!

It doesn't work! The handle just cranks and only compresses every third or fourth squeeze and the cookie does not separate. I have been trying to make cookies for the past 3 hours. I had planned to make several dozen for my office and gifts, but I guess not. After 3 hours, I have 1 dozen deformed cookies. I finally found a disc that was working and got the first batch baked, but could not continue because the stoneware was hot and melted the dough.

Is my press defective, or does everyone hate this product. I am so disappointed as I was really looking forward to using it. I guess, I will go to my mom's and get her 40 year metal press and use it. I know it works, since we used it every Christmas when I was growing up!

My pressis still sitting in the box that it came in. I've tried to use it a couple of times but haven't had any luck. Like you, I have used my grandmother's old press and that still works perfectly!! Some people seem to get the hang of it but I'm not one of them! :p

If the cookie dough did extrude through one of the disks, the dough may have had too much flour in it or it may have been too cold. All co0kie presses are tricky, and you have to practice with the tool to get perfect cookies.

I have both PC and Mirro presses.
The old metal type cookie press by Mirro is designed differently, and I think it is easier to use

I had a difficult time with my cookie press the first time I used it, too. It's really fickle. It seems that there are some disks that are easier to use than others; it works better with certain doughs (the spritz that comes with it, a butter cookie that came in the cookie booklet, and if you want to use store-bought refrigerated sugar cookies add 1/4 cup of flour - scooped, not packed); you should use parchment paper b/c a hot stone just melts it before it can form; and you have to click it, hold it still for a few moments, then bring it straight up to release. At least this was my experience...

It took me several hours before I figured out it's game and several deformed cookies! But the second time I got it out b/c I was determined to be successful, I made the Christmas trees and they turned out wonderfully!

Good luck...

Use sifted flour. My director was telling people that TOO MUCH flour would make the dough too stiff and the press wouldn't work. She said that when she wants to use her press that she uses sifted flour and then spoons it into the measuring cup to make sure that she doesn't have TOO MUCH.

Still confusedI used the recipe on the use and care card and after I went to bed realized I was a 1/2 c of flour short. I cannot imagine trying to use it with more flour as it was already very stiff. But maybe the cookie would have separate from the press better with the correct amount of flour. But then the cookies I did actually bake, were very bland (and I always use extra vanilla). So I am not sure what the problem is.

Also, is it supposed to move down a notch everytime you pull the trigger? If so, my is not. Only once every 3 or 4 pulls.

Anyway, thanks for all of the advice. I will try again after the holidays and see how it goes.

I got it!!I had trouble with the cookie press as well. You have to keep the press straight down-double click-then wait about 5-10 seconds for the dough to stick to the stone or cookie sheet. The dough needs time to stick to the surface. Plus weigh your flour!!!! I have now made 16 dozen cookies with our cookie press and don't have any problems. At first I could have run over the press with my car :mad: But with these steps it works wonderful. :)

I have a love/hate relationship with the cookie press too. It can be VERY finicky when it wants to be. I have had the most success with the refrigerated sugar cookie dough (and it's simple!). I agree with MSmith except I have had more success with giving it a slight twist before picking it up off of the stone. Kinda "breaks the seal" and releases the dough.

When I have done cookie shows, I ALWAYS bake some at home (where I'm not being stared at <<ha ha>>) and take them to the show. My very first cookie show, when the press first came out, was a HUGE disaster! The dough would not work no matter what. I made a joke and showed them the cookies I brought from home and that it really did work. The guests got a laugh out of it and I still sold them!

Thank you Everyone!Thank you everyone for your tips and tricks. I will try each of them and not give up on this product yet.

Happy holidays to all of you.

showmehow2 said:
is still sitting in the box that it came in. I've tried to use it a couple of times but haven't had any luck. Like you, I have used my grandmother's old press and that still works perfectly!! Some people seem to get the hang of it but I'm not one of them! :p

I love my cookie press. You need to wait before you remove the press from the cookie sheet ~ needs time to adhere to the stone. It needs to be the right temerature. Don't give up! You will love it when you get thehang of it. :)

Love it!I love the cookie press!

We have a family recipe that needs to be refrigerated because it is too soft for any cookie press. I actually use regular aluminum half sheet pans (cookie sheets). The cookies stick better and the pans cool faster. It is actually a family joke to be running outside to cool the pan off for the next batch. I love the larger size cookies our press makes and the ease of it.

Get to know your dough. I know that sounds strange but it is true. It should feel a little softer than playdough. Always scoop your flour into your measuring cup for any recipe and never tap it when leveling it off. If you add color to your cookies, use liquid food coloring and not powder. You can always add flour a tablespoon at a time if you need to but cannot take it out. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to one hour before using.

Would you share it?Hi Rebecca.

Would you be willing to share that family recipe so that the rest of us can have "cookie press success"? :)

If so, please email it to me at [email protected]

Thanks!

At first I seriously disliked my cookie press and also wanted to run it over with my car ;) but then I found the recipe for the Peanut Butter Blossoms in the Delightful Desserts cookbook (page 12).

1 package (18 oz.) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
42 milk chocolate candy kisses, unwrapped

Mix the sugar cookie dough and peanut butter together until completely blended and press with the cookie press using disks #4, #5, or #1, making sure the number on the disk is facing outward, away from the dough. Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately place a kiss in the center of the cookie, pressing down firmly. Let it cool for a minute or two then transfer to the cooling rack until completely cooled.

I use two stones so that I can load one up while the other is baking. This recipe will give you a renewed love of your cookie press, at least it did for me. :D

1. How can I manage my frustration when cooking with new kitchen tools?

One way to manage your frustration when using new kitchen tools is to carefully read and follow the instructions provided. It can also be helpful to start with simple recipes and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing patience can make the learning process less frustrating.

2. What should I do if a recipe doesn't turn out as expected and I feel frustrated?

If a recipe doesn't turn out as expected, take a deep breath and try to identify where things went wrong. It could be a simple mistake or a misinterpretation of the instructions. If possible, try the recipe again or seek guidance from a more experienced cook. Remember to be patient with yourself and don't be afraid to make mistakes - they can be great learning opportunities.

3. How can I avoid feeling overwhelmed and frustrated when preparing a large meal?

To avoid feeling overwhelmed and frustrated when preparing a large meal, it's important to plan ahead. Make a list of all the dishes you want to make and create a timeline for when each dish needs to be completed. It can also be helpful to delegate tasks to other family members or friends to lighten the load. And don't forget to take breaks and enjoy the process - cooking should be fun!

4. What can I do if I get frustrated while chopping ingredients?

If you get frustrated while chopping ingredients, try using a different type of knife or a different cutting technique. You can also try listening to music or a podcast to help distract your mind. Taking breaks and stretching your hands and arms can also prevent frustration and fatigue. And remember, practice makes perfect - the more you chop, the better you'll become!

5. How can I stay calm and patient when a dish is taking longer to cook than expected?

To stay calm and patient when a dish is taking longer to cook than expected, try focusing on other tasks in the kitchen or prepping for the next part of the meal. You can also use this extra time to clean up any messes or set the table. And don't forget to keep an eye on the dish and adjust the heat or cooking time if necessary. Remember, good things take time and it will all be worth it in the end.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jeanlewis13
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
ShellBeach