• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unleash Your Taste Buds: Discover Food Samples at the Upcoming Fair!

not a fan?Summarizing, Lisa recommends bringing a dessert as samples to a fair, and suggests something in a bar pan. She advises stressing less about sales, and having more success with less stress by using Hershey's kisses.
lkspeir
I just found out I have an opportunity to participate in a fair next weekend (Nov 4th) Yike! Lots to do. I have a question though - Are we allowed (haven't looked it up yet) to give out food samples at a fair??

Are there any other tips you can pass my way??

It would depend on the fair rules. Most require you to have a food service license.

I just stick to wrapped, hard candies in the SA bowls in the small bowl caddy. :)

I agree with Debbie....having candy out in the SA is so much easier than trying to cook up a bunch of samples! Plus it looks pretty; you can get so many different candies for the seasons & holidays now. It can dress up your display!

Sometimes when you have food there is a swarm of people who just eat and run.

I'm with Anne. And I've found that, unfortunately, a lot of people who come to fairs will view your food as a free lunch for their kids. Who will lick something and then try to put it back. (And yes, this has happened to me. The parent didn't stop the child and just laughed like it was cute. Gross!!!)But chocolate kisses or hard candy will attract people, are more sanitary, don't need to be kept cold, and are inexpensive.

I definately agree. I've did 2 fairs this past month and discovered that even the wrapped candy gets gone in handfulls. So definately dont spend your money on expensive candies either. Peppermints are great. The first one I did I had a nice variety of Halloween candy and one child visited my boothe at least twice a night. How frustrating! :mad:
I brought a bag of apples and a bag of potatoes and demonstrated the mandoline and the apple peeler/corer/slicer, wedger, and the corer. I still had some old timers eating my raw crinkled potatoes. I guess they were too cute to resist. :p

I will let you know how it goes after my fair tomorrow, but I'm doing pecan triangles from Stoneware Sensations at the suggestion of my director b/c you can cut them really small. I had most the ingredients in the house anyway, and it gave me an excuse to expense flour :)

I look forward to hearing how it goes for you Lisa. I'm definetely opting for the wrapped candy. I'm not sure if I'll demo anything. My director encouraged me to just be ready to visit with people - Meet and greet.

I wish my director did that! She always seems to do things a little harder. I'll be getting up early to bake. Well if there are leftovers we are going to the inlaws for dinner!

I have to tell you that at my last fair a few weekends ago, I became the "Mean PC Lady". I had a bunch of smartee candies in an SA dish. Three kids came up. They asked if they could have some, and I said "Sure." Each were taking handfuls! I looked for their parents and the two moms were bs'ing with another table, not even aware of it. They left my plate with 1 candy on it. They started to walk away and I said... "Now, how nice was that? I have no candy for anyone else?" So, they each put one back. Then, one of the mothers saw it and made them put everything back except for one each. Sheez.

Okay all, the pecan praline triangles were a hit! I think it helped me sell a stoneware inspirations book too and a large bar pan as I served them right from there. Had almost $200 in sales from a 3 hr shift...which is probably kind of low, but considering I had a booking drop out from yesterday, was better than nothing!

Plus I already had leftovers to take to the in-laws for dinner :D

Lisa: That sounds GREAT!!

So....Lisa, you recommend me taking a dessert to give out as samples? Something in the bar pan would be easy. I'm in a twist as to serve food or not. I've got this week to decide.Any other words of advice?

I do this Shop Til You Drop each year at our local 4 year old kindergarten school. The first year, I baked a zillion cookie press cookies - it took forever. My sales were around $1100. The next year I bought some Hershey's kisses and threw them in the S.A. My sales were around $1100. Hmmmm....and with a LOT less stress! Plus, there's the whole liability thing. People are weird. If someone gets sick they could blame you (even though it may be totally unrelated). What if a kid gets hold of your treat and is allergic to an ingredient? My opinion - kiss! Keep it simple, sweetie!

JMHO,
Diane

Lisa G, it's up to you really. I don't know that it made a huge difference in my sales or not, but it did get people to stop and talk longer to me that way. But if you have time, something in the bar pan is great because it shows off the pan!

I picked up some dark chocolate kisses tonight that will look great in the small tiles bow. I'll wait to see what kind of time I have before I decide on the sample food - and I've got to see what the rules are.

I think you are better off with store bought prepackaged candies. Most fairs/festivals require a special permit from the health department to serve food and have strict regulations on the proper tempatures foods need to be kept at.

Kisses or other candies are your best bet.

That's a good point Shari. This was a small church festival so probably wasn't as regulated :D

I always offer candy.

My line when kids come up to the table for candy is always -- I need to make sure it's okay with your mom, so get her and come back to get it!

The kids either a) go away or b) brings their mom's.

Lisacb77 - if your state/county has the regulation, and your festival was open to the public, then the permit would still be required.

Here is CA I cannot even bring homemade food to Caleb's preschool. It has to be store bought and prepackaged because of the requirement that any food served to the public has to be prepared in a kitchen holding a current health permit.

I offered cookies that I bought at a store. LOL

I understood that we aren't allowed to serve samples because we aren't licensed. However, if you can get around it and are determined to serve samples, make something in the cookware on a plug in stove so that the yummy smells will attract everyone to your booth. (Or a toaster oven?)

I always found that the booths serving food became the fast food restaurant for all the other vendors at lunchtime.

1. What is the purpose of "Unleash Your Taste Buds" at the upcoming fair?

The purpose of "Unleash Your Taste Buds" is to provide attendees with the opportunity to try out various food samples from different vendors at the fair. It allows them to discover new flavors and products and make informed purchasing decisions.

2. Is there a cost to participate in "Unleash Your Taste Buds"?

No, there is no additional cost to participate in "Unleash Your Taste Buds." The food samples are included in the general admission ticket to the fair.

3. Will there be a variety of food samples available at the fair?

Yes, there will be a wide range of food samples available at the fair, including appetizers, entrees, desserts, and more. There will also be options for different dietary restrictions and preferences.

4. Can I purchase the food samples I try at the fair?

Yes, many vendors will have their products available for purchase at the fair. You can also find contact information for vendors if you want to purchase their products after the fair.

5. Are there any special deals or promotions for the food samples at the fair?

Some vendors may offer special deals or promotions for their food samples at the fair. We encourage you to ask the vendors directly for any deals or promotions they may have. Additionally, Pampered Chef will be offering exclusive discounts on our products at the fair.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• niclowther
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
cfort
  • lemmiskitchen
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
lemmiskitchen
Replies