• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Uninspired and Tired--Help Me Simplify, Please!!

Products needed for a Cranberry Crunch Bark & Pretzel Wreath: Trifle bowl, TTA, Guest specials for Dec., and products needed to do Cranberry Crunch Bark & Pretzel Wreaths.What do you use for the glaze?I use ghee.
chefjwr
I am feeling that I put so much effort into host coaching and lugging tons of products to shows and often there is no pay off in terms of more work adding up to more sales. The hostess makes all the difference-- her personality is key. What I would like to know is how to simplify what I do starting with what I bring. The weight and time it takes to carry in a lot of products is frustrating to me. What products do you take to your show? Also please give any other tips for simple and fun shows. I want to get my energy and excitement back.:eek:

I wish I could help you with the weight of the products, but my stuff is incredibly heavy. I'm glad SA sale is over because that stuff added weight that I wouldn't normally take with me. Tuesday I did cookies before the show that used a stone and I did a different recipe during the show using a different stone. Plus I took the Trifle Bowl with ornaments inside of it, plus the large grooved cutting board, SA rectangle platter, small batter bowl w/ mix, large batter bowl to mix cookies in because I needed the stainless bowls to mix the other recipe inside. It was bad. Normally, I would not take any SA unless I needed to serve something on it and I wouldn't bring the batter bowl with a mix, and from now on I will not be bringing two stones. I will be more careful how I choose recipes. I also will only need the trifle bowl if we use it for the recipe, but I won't promote that because it's no longer the special. In January I think I'll follow the healthy cooking lead someone else has shared. I have plenty of time to really evaluate how I can bring lighter product.
I really try to only bring stainless bowls because the batter bowls are so heavy. I'd love to hear other feedback too.

November was hard - because I wanted to show SA for the sale.....but now that I am gearing up for December, I will be lightening my load!

One stone (large round with handles or DCB), 2 pans (8 inch and 12 inch), Trifle Bowl, TTA, Guest specials for Dec., and products needed to do Cranberry Crunch Bark & Pretzel Wreaths.

May I ask, Becky, why you bring the 12"? Do you just show it or are you using it in a recipe?

Well, I've been bringing the 10" to use for biscuits, and people are always wanting to buy that size......so I thought I'd start bringing the 12 inch, and talk about it's versatility - start calling the 12" the "try me" pan, instead of the 8".

So, will you make biscuits in the 12" or the 8". The 12" would make a lot of biscuits! I don't sell any pans but the 8", and I don't sell very many of those. I have made the biscuits twice at shows and didn't sell any pans.

I only bring what I am going to use to demo, and if at all possible if I want to show a special that is coming up, or one for that month I will incorporate it into the demo in some way...I don't bring a bunch of extras...unless a host specifically asks to see a product that are thinking of purchasing

I'm not making biscuits in Dec......I'm doing glazed pecans in the 8". In the past, when I demo the 12", I usually end up selling one to the host, and occasionally sell one full price - sold 2 in Sept @ full price, one in Oct. & Nov.

I was thinking if I kicked it up a notch, I could sell even more.

What do you do w/ the pecans? And what do you use for the glaze?

chefsteph07 said:
What do you do w/ the pecans? And what do you use for the glaze?
These are the BEST!!!
From SB fall/winter 2006:

Peppered Glazed Pecans
----------------------

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar

2 teaspoons butter

2 teaspoons light corn syrup

1/4-1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup pecan halves

Directions:
1. Combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, black pepper and salt in (8-in.) Sauté Pan. Stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Add pecans and cook, stirring constantly using Bamboo Spatula, 5-7 minutes or until pecans are fragrant and well coated with glaze, separating any that are sticking together. Spread pecans in a single layer on Parchment Paper. Cool completely.

Yield: 16 servings

Nutrients per serving: (about 5 pecan halves): Calories 60, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat .5 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 3 g, Protein 1 g, Sodium 25 mg, Fiber 0 g

chefsteph07 said:
I only bring what I am going to use to demo, and if at all possible if I want to show a special that is coming up, or one for that month I will incorporate it into the demo in some way...I don't bring a bunch of extras...unless a host specifically asks to see a product that are thinking of purchasing

I do the same. I use the show to go rolling cart for my products. I take my TTA in it's carrying bag. Then, I use the 3rd piece for my paperwork. I take the 6qt. Stainless bowl for prizes/gifts. I also take my own table in case I need it & the old crate (kit came in) for my dirty dishes. Sometimes I also take the stoneware carry bag if I can't fit them in the rolling case.

Becky...could you your pecan technique with a sweet pecan? The recipe I have says to dip the pecans in egg white and then you add brown sugar and cinnamon to them. After that you spread them on the bar pan and bake them. I like your recipe technique, but not sure if I would like peppered pecans. I love the cinnamon version...my daughter and I ate the whole batch in about 15 minutes. Yummy!!

I have a show tomorrow night and I might try to make pecans.

Julie...I used to lug a bunch of product to shows. But, when you take a lot of products and you look weighted down people will think that you have to do that in order to be successful with PC. I have simplified. Unless it is the beginning of a new season I only take the products needed for the demo. I do take a full TTA because people like to see and touch "gadgets". I try to incorporate SS bowls because they are a high end product. So, if the recipe says mix in the batter bowl, I use the SS bowl. A lot of times if the recipe says to melt or heat something in the batter bowl, I will use the micro-cooker (large) because it doesn't weigh as much. 1 stone, 1 skillet...if you take 2 and have a SS and an Executive take one of each...1 piece of SA, cutting board if I am chopping or slicing. These 3 or 4 things can always be incorporated into your demo in place of something else.

At the beginning of a new season I take extra products, but not all of them. New "gadgets" can be placed in the TTA, so they are no problem. I usually take the pieces that I am excited about.

I have a rolling rubbermaid tote that I bought 3 or 4 years ago and that is all I use for products. I make sure it is easy to pick up because I have to load it in my van, unload it, and maybe carry it up stairs. My catalog bag will slip over the handle.

All that being said, it never fails that someone does not ask me if I have a product that I didn't bring. But that is okay. I just tell them I didn't bring it tonight...if the host is someone who loves the products and has already has them in her home I ask if she has it...and talk to them about the benefits of using/owning the product. If they are asking about it they are going to buy it whether you have it or not.

chefjwr said:
I am feeling that I put so much effort into host coaching and lugging tons of products to shows and often there is no pay off in terms of more work adding up to more sales. The hostess makes all the difference-- her personality is key. What I would like to know is how to simplify what I do starting with what I bring. The weight and time it takes to carry in a lot of products is frustrating to me. What products do you take to your show? Also please give any other tips for simple and fun shows. I want to get my energy and excitement back.:eek:

Boy do I understand this one! I always take too much w/me as well. I always think I'm doing okay, and then they have to change the monthly specials so I end up having to take them w/me!:cry:

I have started limiting myself to the rolling case, the bag that fits over the handle and my TTA (and I also take my brief case). Anything else stays at home! It's not too bad when I go to the host home, but seems like I don't pack everything as good for the way home. My dirty dishes go in the crate, which I always take folded and in the back of the rolling case.

I would love to get to the poing where I only take the rolling case, but I never seem to be able to fit everything in it. I like the case because it holds so much including my lapboards! With the February special I may have to start carrying everything a differnt say since I'm in a snowy area! My winters in the past have been very slow!

Sorry, I'm not much help! I'll keep reading for all of the other help!

Shawnna said:
Becky...could you your pecan technique with a sweet pecan? The recipe I have says to dip the pecans in egg white and then you add brown sugar and cinnamon to them. After that you spread them on the bar pan and bake them. I like your recipe technique, but not sure if I would like peppered pecans. I love the cinnamon version...my daughter and I ate the whole batch in about 15 minutes. Yummy!!

I have a show tomorrow night and I might try to make pecans.

Shawnna - If you want a sweeter version, just substitute cinnamon plus, or cinnamon for the pepper.......

I wasn't sure about the peppered version, but then I tried it - the fun part is most people can't identify what spice is in them, but they can't stop eating them!:D

Thanks ladies. Please keep the ideas coming -- I need to pull myself up.

Julie,

when I am feeling most tired, or most uninspired, it always helps me to go back to my "Why" - Why am I doing this - what do I like best about it - when have my shows been the most fun for me to do?
Sometimes, in my quest for sales, bookings, and recruits, I get off track, and forget to just be me, and do what I do best - and I start trying to do what works for everyone else, instead of what I know works for me.

Maybe it might help you too to take a step back for a couple hours and think about what you really like to do - and what you like best about doing your shows.

Good Luck!

I'm a new consultant and am having the same sort of problem. Can anyone tell me if the PC rolling tote and bags are helpful to have? I'm considering purchasing them with my PC dollars, but I would hate to spend the $ if they're not worth it. Is there a better way to carry your stuff?

Thanks so much for bringing up this topic! I have soooooo felt this way. I feel so exhausted. I love PC but lugging all of the products is hard on my back. I also need to plan for carrying the items in the snow. I constantly hear " How do you carry all that stuff?" Not the greatest image to show off. I just can't figure out how to pare down. I tried to lighten my load on Tuesday evening and spent a lot of time telling guest "No, I didn't bring it". I'm not sure which way is less agravating. Most hosts are used to me bringing a lot of items, so when I have tried to lighten the load considerably, I have felt that my host has not been pleased with the smaller number of products that I brought. I do know that when I bring the bigger pieces like the Exec 12" skillet, cranberry covered baker and large bar pan, I definitely sell them at each show. I want to work smarter, not harder, but I don't want to give up sales on the larger products either????

RossDeb2 said:
Thanks so much for bringing up this topic! I have soooooo felt this way. I feel so exhausted. I love PC but lugging all of the products is hard on my back. I also need to plan for carrying the items in the snow. I constantly hear " How do you carry all that stuff?" Not the greatest image to show off. I just can't figure out how to pare down. I tried to lighten my load on Tuesday evening and spent a lot of time telling guest "No, I didn't bring it". I'm not sure which way is less agravating. Most hosts are used to me bringing a lot of items, so when I have tried to lighten the load considerably, I have felt that my host has not been pleased with the smaller number of products that I brought. I do know that when I bring the bigger pieces like the Exec 12" skillet, cranberry covered baker and large bar pan, I definitely sell them at each show. I want to work smarter, not harder, but I don't want to give up sales on the larger products either????

I know what you mean! I got a December booking because I had the Trifle Bowl w/me! Everytime I think I'm going to cut back something like this happens to me!!

I ususally bring my TTA with the tools in it. I bring all the new seasons products and whatever I need for my demo. I don't bring a lot. I carry my lap top and guests folders and thats it. If I am missing something I use it as an opportunity to book a show (I'll gladly bring it to their show) and I use the catalog to show items I may not have with me. I try to keep it simple and light as possible.

Granted I've so far only done 1 show since I came back, but what I brought with me was what comes in the kit. Because the hostess had expressed an interest in the roasting pan and the handled SA platter, I also brought those. And so they could see what the SS pans were like, I brought the 10" I have. All but the platter and roasting pan fit into the consultant tote. My paperwork went into a briefcase tote. The commissionable sales for this show were $808.

So, I'd make sure to bring the items needed to make the demo. And only put in a few more items that fit into the consultant tote. You don't want possible recruits to feel they have to lug all this stuff to succeed. Besides which, your back will thank you.

I couldnt afford the PC rolling case, but I got an amazing deal on a giant rolling suitcase which works just FANTASTIC for my larger/heavier items. The thing weighs sooo much but I can usually just roll it up into wherever I'm going.

I can't help but bring EVERY LAST item I own with me to all my shows. I'm paranoid I'll forget one critical item that everyone wants to play with.

bypamperedchef said:
I couldnt afford the PC rolling case, but I got an amazing deal on a giant rolling suitcase which works just FANTASTIC for my larger/heavier items. The thing weighs sooo much but I can usually just roll it up into wherever I'm going.I can't help but bring EVERY LAST item I own with me to all my shows. I'm paranoid I'll forget one critical item that everyone wants to play with.
Hee Hee - I want to hear you say that same thing 5 years from now!:D :D :eek: :eek:I took just about everything I owned to large fundraiser show I did last year - I own an SUV, and the whole thing was loaded to the ceiling - including the passenger seat!

I take the 3 Saute Pans - to talk about the cookware.
Those go with me to each show.
If I'm doing a recipe with cookware, I'll not take the 8'' pan in that line.

I talked to my Hosp. Director about this same issue...she said just do one recipe...( I usually demo one, but have one ready before guests arrive)

It is also stressed in the company...they spend a lot of money and time on the catalogs, and the pictures and descriptions in the catalog. If we take everything...
1- it looks like a horrible job
2- we have more things to lose or forget at the host's house
3- it's Just Plain hard and tiring.
4- more things that have a chance to break

Take what you need for the demo .

If there is something you want to show that isn't in the demo, consider just talking about it...have everyone go to the page...
Trifle Bowl..talk about how it comes with a snap on lid for travel and storage, and the base is a separate piece, so it fits in your cabinet and refrigerator! They'll get the picture...they can SEE it all in the catalog.

Also, keep in mind...not a single job out there is perfect. There is always SOMETHING you don't like about any job.

The PC job has far more goods than bads.
It's an awesome company to work with!

Hello!
I have always struggled with taking too much. I thought I was doing well with it, then it was the SA special in November that had me taking lots more than usual. And for very little return.....despite bringing the whole SA place setting to display (the dots plate, the small square with cranberry, the small dots bowl, the dots mug, placemat, napkin), I didn't sell many SA with that sale at all. I had a Tuesday and Wednesday show last week and decided to try a little experiment. The first night I brought the same SA display that i did in Nov (the host had booked off a Nov show and liked that I had it all displayed, so she asked that I do that again). Of course I sold really no SA that stands out in my mind. I left that show with the total at $600 in sales (she got about $200 more in outside orders after). Then the next night I just didn't feel like bringing as much. The only SA I brought is what I used to serve stuff on and the appetizer plates which they used for the food. VERY few extras. I was interested to see if there would be a difference in sales. I left that show at about $700 in sales. Between orders that host gathered and a few I added, we had about $270 more in orders. So, the show that I brought less to actually had better sales!!! Not that it always matters, but I just thought it was interesting. And it's much easier to pack things up when you bring less. I agree that bringing more may make our job look harder. My goal in '08 is to really keep it simple.

I do always bring a piece of cookware, stoneware and all the forged cutlery. I also always bring all the cookbooks and have those out. Of course when new stuff comes out, I'll want to bring lots of that, but I'm going to rethink that in the spring. I agree more of what affects sales is the actual host and host coaching, not necessarily what products you bring.

I'd love to cut back on the stuff I pack up but I always end up with: rolling case for folders, pens, prizes and I stuff my trifle bowl in it filled with party stuff (to demo the "party in the bowl " idea from Oprah) if I am not actually usuing the bowl as a food-demo piece, tta and tote full of stuff, new consultant tote jammed packed with as much as I can squeeze. So a min. of 3 pieces all heavy! I seriously need to cut back on stuff to lesson the load! But than again I always say that ;).

Thanks for posting this. I am 5 months pregnant and it seems that every show I do I have to lug things up icy stairs, and it's getting to be hard on me. The whole month of February my husband will be out of state so he won't be able to load my car like he normally does for me. I really need to lighten my load.

I have split up my load though. I use the big black tote that came with my kit, I just ordered the carrier for the Tool Tote, and I also have 2 fold up crates on wheels that I bought at Staples. Personally, I'd rather make more trips up those icy steps than killing me carrying fewer, heavier things.

I'm definitely taking notes on what other people have to say. I don't want my husband to have to start taking me to my shows to help me unload once my stomach gets even bigger.

Generally, I take items for the recipe, and special requests that the host wants to see. If there's no stoneware used, I take a small oval baker to pass around. I take 2 8" saute pans, the Exec and SS. And lately, I've been taking the SA Appetizer plates and caddy, but I also use them so the host doesn't have to purchase paper plates.

And I can't say that taking less has had a negative effect on sales (unlike the lousy Michigan economy). Unless someone has a question about a brand new item, there'll probably be someone in the room who has it and can gush about it. :)

Related to Uninspired and Tired--Help Me Simplify, Please!!

1. How can I simplify my meal planning and cooking routine?

To simplify your meal planning and cooking routine, try using meal planning apps or websites, investing in a slow cooker or Instant Pot, batch cooking and freezing meals, and keeping a well-stocked pantry of versatile ingredients. You can also consider using Pampered Chef tools, such as the Quick Cooker or Meal Prep Set, to make meal prep easier and more efficient.

2. What are some tips for decluttering and organizing my kitchen?

To declutter and organize your kitchen, start by clearing out any unnecessary or unused items, organizing your pantry and cabinets by category, and utilizing storage solutions like drawer dividers or shelf risers. You can also try using multi-functional Pampered Chef products, like the Stackable Cooling Rack or Organizer Rack, to save space and keep your kitchen tidy.

3. How can I make my cooking and baking more efficient?

To make your cooking and baking more efficient, try prepping ingredients ahead of time, cleaning as you go, and using tools like the Quick Slice or Food Chopper to save time on chopping and slicing. You can also streamline your baking by using Pampered Chef tools like the Measure-All Cup or Mix 'N Scraper.

4. What are some easy and healthy meal ideas for busy weeknights?

For busy weeknights, consider making simple and healthy meals like sheet pan dinners, one-pot meals, or salads with protein and grains. You can also try using Pampered Chef tools like the Salad Chopper or Veggie Spiralizer to make meal prep even easier.

5. How can I simplify my clean-up after cooking?

To simplify clean-up after cooking, try using non-stick cookware and baking sheets, lining baking dishes with parchment paper, and using tools like the Flexible Cutting Mats or Silicone Baking Mat to make clean-up a breeze. You can also consider investing in a dishwasher-safe Pampered Chef tool, such as the Mix 'N Chop or Stackable Measuring Cups, to save time on hand-washing dishes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
JAE
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • kcjodih