• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Uh Oh! I May Have Messed up Big Time! (Warning...long Post)

In summary, the speaker visited a local marketplace and found a permanent booth selling Pampered Chef products. After verifying with Home Office, they learned that this is not allowed according to company policy. The speaker then contacted the consultant through email, giving them the opportunity to rectify the situation before involving Home Office. The speaker expresses concern for other consultants in the area and hopes that the issue will be resolved. Other participants in the conversation support the speaker's actions and reassure them that they did the right thing.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Hi all! I was at a local MarketPlace today where they have permanent booths. There was a PC booth! She was selling some discontinued (ex. blue tumblers) and some current products. The lady that was working the booth said her sister was the consulant and she gave me her card.

I called HO to verify that this is a no-no. They said that we are NOT allowed to sell in any retail space. Since this is a semi-perm. booth, it would be considered retail. So, this is NOT like setting up at a fair or whatnot for a few days. I did NOT give any information to HO about her...I was just verifying my thoughts on the whole situation.

So, I (assuming she is unaware of HO's policy and wanting to give her a chance to rectifiy the situation before HO hears of it....) emailed her. NEVER STOPING TO THINK that my personal info is on the email! If she gets totally upset with me, she can very easily find where I live and whatnot. My husband was the one that pointed this out to me...I had already sent the email by the time I was telling him about it later on this evening.

Here is my email:

It is with great reservation that I am contacting you. I certainly don't want to be putting my nose into your business, but I feel that I need to ask for your side of the story.

I visited the Hartville Marketplace this morning and came upon your booth. I was quite shocked to see that you were there. Pampered Chef does not allow any type of retail space. You can work a fair or a booth that is a temporary display (few days or a week...) but you are not allowed to have a permenant retail space. Otherwise, you are taking opportunities that are not given to other consultants, which gives you an "edge" over others. PC has chosen to use the more personal selling technique so we have the ability to work one on one and help each customer individually. If they change that (like Tupperware did) it would really dampen all of our sales...since someone could just run up to the mall and buy something from PC whenever they wanted.

I wanted to contact you first to allow you the opportunity to rectify this situation with out the involvement of Home Office.

I look forward to your response,
Kelly

Now I am kicking myself for sticking my neck out so far! I really hope that this person is just an honest schmoo like me and just made a mistake. I just don't think it's fair to others of us in the area if she is bringing in oodles of sales off of this booth "illegally."

Like my hubby said..."who made me the PC police?"
:eek: :eek: :( :( :eek: :eek: :( :(

You did the right thing. Don't worry about it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe she really didn't know that she couldn't do that. I guess there are some people who don't read the policy and procedures! I've heard of people selling on ebay and didn't know that it was a no-no. I think it will be ok.

I say I wouldn't worry about it but then I know that is better said than done, and I know I would end up worrying about it too, ha!

It is not fair to those of us that run our business according to the rules to have someone else not go by the rules. I do not understand why people can just not do what they agreed to do!

Keep us posted on any happenings!

I think you totally did the right thing!

You did the right thing... but I would have just reported it to HO and let them be the "PC police".

Thanks for looking out for ALL of our best interests. I'm sure that nothing nasty will come of it. I too feel that you did the right thing. I'm sure if you said nothing, you'd be having the same kind of feelings too!

You did the right thing and I wouldn't worry about it.

Kelly, you didn't appoint yourself PC police. You shared information in order to help a fellow consultant avoid losing her status as a consultant. As for her having your personal information, don't worry about it. She'll have the opportunity to thank you for saving her tush.

You did the right thing, let us know what happens.

raebates said:
Kelly, you didn't appoint yourself PC police. You shared information in order to help a fellow consultant avoid losing her status as a consultant. As for her having your personal information, don't worry about it. She'll have the opportunity to thank you for saving her tush.

That was exactly where my brain was when I was emailing her....

Let's hope SHE sees it that way!

I agree - thinkin' along the same lines as Rae, too. However, if you go back there in, say, 2 weeks and nothing has changed, then absolutely call HO.

Kelly, I wouldn't worry too much. I did the same thing a little bit ago. You did the right thing! Don't ever doubt it when standing up for yourself and all the other consultants that do it the right way. Like you said maybe she just didn't know or bother to read the Policies. So Thankyou!

I have a question, are we allowed to set up for a day at one of these markets, or is that not allowed?

thanks
Christina

newchefmommy said:
I have a question, are we allowed to set up for a day at one of these markets, or is that not allowed?

thanks
Christina
THat is more like doing a fair I would think. Anyone?

That's what I'd think - one day is like a fair so it would be allowed.

Yes- the woman at HO said no "retail" space...which would be a semi-permanent or permanent booth. So, if you are setting up for a few days or a week, that's considered a fair type thing and it WOULD be allowed.

ok thanks everyone!!!

christina

Kelly....we're behind you! Hopefully it's a misunderstanding on the other consultant's part and she handles it in a mature manner.

Wow, this just brought up something that I observed a few weeks ago. I was at a local craft and antique shop, and when I turned the corner to look at the next booth, there was a booth full of pampered chef products.

I was shocked. She didn't have any info in her booth, her name wasn't on anything, so I thought maybe it was ok. (since she wasn't putting any contact info for people to get in touch with her)

Now I am thinking maybe not. It was a "retail" spot.

Other than talking to the shop owner, I don't have a way to get her info to talk to her and be the "pc police".

Just thought I would share.

Tracy

pamperedtracy said:
Wow, this just brought up something that I observed a few weeks ago. I was at a local craft and antique shop, and when I turned the corner to look at the next booth, there was a booth full of pampered chef products.

I was shocked. She didn't have any info in her booth, her name wasn't on anything, so I thought maybe it was ok. (since she wasn't putting any contact info for people to get in touch with her)

Other than talking to the shop owner, I don't have a way to get her info to talk to her and be the "pc police".

Tracy
The shop owner should be aware that that is not allowed by PC. You could contact PC with the shop's info and they can inform them about the rules.

As far as Kelly's predicament: I agree that you did the right thing. I can't imagine that she would do anything to you about it. She will probably just ignore you or tell you to bug off if she doesn't care OR she will thank you. Either way, rest easy that you tried to help someone!

That's true, I can contact HO with the shop's info. I am sure the shop didn't know the policies and procedures.

Maybe I can do something.

Tracy

Are "farmer's markets" allowable? That would be a weekly commitment for a few months in the year. I'm not doing this (and don't know anyone else who is) but have wondered if it might be a good step for my business.

chefjeanine said:
Are "farmer's markets" allowable? That would be a weekly commitment for a few months in the year. I'm not doing this (and don't know anyone else who is) but have wondered if it might be a good step for my business.

I would also like to know about this

My farmer's market is about 1/4 mile away from my house

What list of products would you set up with.

Thanks

and sounds like a GREAT idea

~

I do not know about other Farmers markets but in MN you can only sell things that are grown or made in MN.

Here you have to "join" MN grown . It was like 5$ a year last time I checked. They were going to let me sell stuff I had sewn. Doll clothes blankets quilts etc. But I never did it.

We have a farmers market that encourages "vendors", like direct sales. Sadly, no sitter during the times slots are available.

I sell produce at my locals farmers market, however I set out PC recipe cards. That gets my name out and I am not really selling. I have taken a few orders but nothing big.At our market it has to be grown or handmade by us. I have not seen many huge takers in our area, but what can I say I live in a huge Hippy community.

As long as you set up and take down the booth, it is not a semi or permanent both. For example - the kiosks in the middle of the mall are semi-permanent.

Kelly--Remember you were doing that for the best interest of the Consultant. I think if were me, I would appreciate you letting me know. There are some people that are not totally familiar with Pampered Chef rules. So good going, and don't loose any sleep over it. :)

~Tammy~

"I can do ALL things through Christ gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Possibly??
KellyTheChef said:
Hi all! I was at a local MarketPlace today where they have permanent booths. There was a PC booth! She was selling some discontinued (ex. blue tumblers) and some current products. The lady that was working the booth said her sister was the consulant and she gave me her card.

I called HO to verify that this is a no-no. They said that we are NOT allowed to sell in any retail space. Since this is a semi-perm. booth, it would be considered retail. So, this is NOT like setting up at a fair or whatnot for a few days. I did NOT give any information to HO about her...I was just verifying my thoughts on the whole situation.

So, I (assuming she is unaware of HO's policy and wanting to give her a chance to rectifiy the situation before HO hears of it....) emailed her. NEVER STOPING TO THINK that my personal info is on the email! If she gets totally upset with me, she can very easily find where I live and whatnot. My husband was the one that pointed this out to me...I had already sent the email by the time I was telling him about it later on this evening.

Here is my email:

It is with great reservation that I am contacting you. I certainly don't want to be putting my nose into your business, but I feel that I need to ask for your side of the story.

I visited the Hartville Marketplace this morning and came upon your booth. I was quite shocked to see that you were there. Pampered Chef does not allow any type of retail space. You can work a fair or a booth that is a temporary display (few days or a week...) but you are not allowed to have a permenant retail space. Otherwise, you are taking opportunities that are not given to other consultants, which gives you an "edge" over others. PC has chosen to use the more personal selling technique so we have the ability to work one on one and help each customer individually. If they change that (like Tupperware did) it would really dampen all of our sales...since someone could just run up to the mall and buy something from PC whenever they wanted.

I wanted to contact you first to allow you the opportunity to rectify this situation with out the involvement of Home Office.

I look forward to your response,
Kelly

Now I am kicking myself for sticking my neck out so far! I really hope that this person is just an honest schmoo like me and just made a mistake. I just don't think it's fair to others of us in the area if she is bringing in oodles of sales off of this booth "illegally."

Like my hubby said..."who made me the PC police?"
:eek: :eek: :( :( :eek: :eek: :( :(

I know this won't sound right, maybe her sister doesn't know about this??

Liz

I know doubtful, but who knows, lots of family members don't tell ea. other' what is going on.

pamperedtracy said:

Tracy

Back in May I went into a local candy shoppe, and there was a whole display set up for HWC. Honestly I thought nothing of it until reading this post. The consultant was pushing orders for the HWC items, however she did have spoons and other small items packaged for sale as well. She even had a display for the bridal registry/showers too. It was a very obvious solicitation, done as the another store display. So, is that a violation too? Or was this just an ambitious consultant who found an opportunity and seized it?

Tracy.. I think you were very considerate letting her know, in case she is not aware of PC's policies on this sort of thing.

My 2 cents... if she replies and she is rude in any way, then I would turn her in! I came upon an ebay seller who was advertising lifetime guarantees on products and emailed her that that was a no no. Very politely, if I do say so. Hey, she might not have been aware, etc. She came back pretty irate and told me to mind my own business. At that point, I emailed HO.

We all play by the same rules, or none of us do. It's pretty simple.

So can we do this?
Our local bank has a "business of the month" in their branch. This month is Home Interiors. They let them set up a table of display items, cattys, and business cards. I was thinking about getting in on that.

amy07 said:
Back in May I went into a local candy shoppe, and there was a whole display set up for HWC. Honestly I thought nothing of it until reading this post. The consultant was pushing orders for the HWC items, however she did have spoons and other small items packaged for sale as well. She even had a display for the bridal registry/showers too. It was a very obvious solicitation, done as the another store display. So, is that a violation too? Or was this just an ambitious consultant who found an opportunity and seized it?

I would think that if the display was only setup for a specific amount of time, that it would be allowed. However, I don't think we can do "cash and carry" at all. Can we?

Just wanted to give you all an update.

She said she thought it was OK....she met a PC consultant at some other vendor thing who told her it was! She is only selling overstock items that she currently has, and was not planning on getting any additional products to sell once those are sold. It is only for one month... Her main goal is to get shows booked to get her business rolling again.

She was very nice when she responded to my email. I told her at this point I wouldn't contact HO. (Now, if she's still there into September or October....that's another story.)

Thanks all for your kind words! I am so glad that she didn't get totally offended and mad at me for pointing out that she isn't supposed to be there.

krzymomof4 said:
So can we do this?
Our local bank has a "business of the month" in their branch. This month is Home Interiors. They let them set up a table of display items, cattys, and business cards. I was thinking about getting in on that.

My bank does that too - and I have wondered about setting up a display....I would think it would be mostly informational - not really selling - so it would be more like setting up a drawing box in a store?

I would think the bank thing would be ok. You are being invited to promote your business there. You won't be there hawking choppers or anything.

The booth that Kelly is talking about is a whole different animal. Other than the obvious problem with her having that booth is that the sister is there representing PC for her sister. IMHO this is just wrong - wonder if the sister does shows for her also?

Kelly you definately did the right thing. Also, I am glad that the other consultant didn't get rude with you.

I have typed in Pampered Chef on craiglist to see if I can find any product that I don't have and need and sometimes I come across people advertising their business. I have sent them a email letting them know that it isn't allowed and I just wanted to let them know before someone reports it to HO. However, I email them from my non pc account (I'm such a chicken!)

Glad everything worked out well.

H2: What is the policy regarding selling Pampered Chef products in a retail space?

The policy states that consultants are not allowed to sell Pampered Chef products in any retail space, including permanent booths at marketplaces.

H2: Can consultants sell at fairs or temporary booths?

Yes, consultants are allowed to sell at fairs or temporary booths for a limited time period.

H2: What should you do if you come across a consultant selling in a retail space?

If you see a consultant selling Pampered Chef products in a retail space, it is recommended to contact Home Office first before taking any further action.

H2: Is it fair for a consultant to have a permanent retail space?

No, having a permanent retail space gives the consultant an unfair advantage over other consultants who are following the policy and only selling through personal interactions.

H2: What should you do if you suspect a consultant is selling in a retail space?

If you suspect a consultant is selling Pampered Chef products in a retail space, it is recommended to contact Home Office and let them handle the situation to ensure fairness for all consultants.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Addie4TLC
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies