• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unstated Etiquette: Passing Booths in a Cluster vs. Consultants in a Small Town

In summary, the event director wants the booth to go to consultants from the same cluster as last year, even if they are living far away. The consultant who worked last year and was successful thinks the AD should give the booth to the local consultants who have worked the event in the past. The AD should take over the booth and offer it to local consultants, or look at the booth's history to see who originally had it.
lockhartkitchen
Question background- Last year a consultant from another cluster got a booth at my hometown's biggest event. I was invited to help, after no one in her cluster wanted to to it. I was very successful. This year, the consultant isn't able to do the event. She said she was going to pass the information on to me. When her AD found out, she said not to pass it on to me, but keep it in her cluster, which is all located 40 min.-2 hours away. They have three major fairs/events held already in their area. This is the only major event for our town.

Question? I was told there is an unstated PC ediquette to keep a booth within a cluster no matter how far away the consultants live. Vs passing the booth on to consultants living in the small town. What do you think? Though we don't have territories with PC I feel the booth should go to consultants living in this small town that can best service this area.

I think that is a bunch of crap. She can choose to pass it on to who she wants. She can't do it and you were there last year so you should get first shot at the event as the past consultant there.Etiquette to me would be to do it yourself as this consultant or politely pass it on to who you feel most suited...cluster or not...But that is me... :)

No territories means no! What would happen to me then? We have 5 consultants in my housing area and another 5 in the other area (its military housing), so we'd each get a street? lol I could only imagine what would happen if that was the case! :)

That Cluster Director obviously isn't in it to help the CUSTOMERS only herself! I think the consultant you worked with was doing the right thing to pass it onto you since you have the background info from doing it the year before. Sorry this director is being this way.

I think the AD is way off base. It isn't her business and a major disservice to the PC customers in your town. Go get the information yourself, and if necessary, explain to the event manager that you don't understand why a local business person has a lower priority for a table.
leggy

Thanks Becky for the support! I just wanted to hear from others that I was in the right. It ended up that the town hadn't selected vendors yet, so I applied too. I got one and so did they. I wouldn't back down, so the AD did. I have the town's booth, which I'm sharing with LOCAL pc consultants.

Good job Julie! She should have backed down.

No one wanted to do the booth last year with the consultant from the other cluster. I had success and I think the AD wanted to see her downline experience it too. It's not the event, but my work and attitude that made it a success. I've been creative and done the work needed to make my business a success: newspaper advertising, welcome wagon, bridal shops, etc. These were all available to anyone. You have to work your business.

What the AD could have been doing is trying to keep it within the cluster, which does sort of make sense (don't attack me!). What I would do if I were the AD is to take over the booth and/or offer it to someone in the cluster with the intention of making sure those who worked it in the past (no matter what cluster) would get invited to be at the booth again. However, I would also look at how the booth got into our cluster in the first place. If I originally was in charge and for some reason had to let someone else take it over last year, I would make sure I would have it back this year...make sense? That being said, I would always invite back those who worked it and didn't screw me - ya know, those who actually show up and pay for their shift.

I understand your point Kate, but I look at it from the perspective that this other consultant was the one who got it last year and no one in her cluster was interested then. Julie helped last year so this year, I would say her and the other consultant have "rights" to it. If they other consultant doesn't want it, Julie should have rights to it before it goes to the cluster.If Julie had never been involved, I see your point.Besides, it's business, first-come, first-serve. There is an upcoming event here in town that my recruiter had done last year. She can't this year. She didn't necessarily pass on the "rights" to me, but I know of the event know she can't do it and made sure to register AND talk to the arranger about making sure I'm the only PC rep. before the 10-15 consultants in town from the "other cluster" get wind of it. ;)Hopefully, it will be worthwhile.

Good for you!

Most fairs/events are on a first come first serve basis too.

Good for you Janet! After my experience, I spent time contacting all the events around me (PC hadn't been there before). I secured them all.

1. What is the difference between passing booths in a cluster and consultants in a small town?

The main difference is the size and layout of the event. Passing booths in a cluster refers to larger events, such as trade shows, where booths are set up in a clustered layout. Consultants in a small town refers to smaller events, such as local fairs or markets, where consultants may be spread out throughout the town.

2. Is there a specific etiquette for passing booths in a cluster?

Yes, there is an unstated etiquette for passing booths in a cluster. It is considered polite to make eye contact with the consultants in the booths and acknowledge them as you pass by. You can also smile or give a friendly nod to show respect for their space.

3. How should I approach consultants in a small town setting?

In a small town setting, it is important to approach consultants with respect and consideration. This means not interrupting their conversations with potential customers and being mindful of their space. It is also polite to introduce yourself and ask if they have a few minutes to chat.

4. What should I do if a consultant is busy with a customer at a small town event?

If a consultant is busy with a customer at a small town event, it is best to wait until they are finished before approaching them. Interrupting their conversation may be seen as rude and disrespectful. If you are interested in their products, you can browse their booth and wait for an opportunity to speak with them.

5. Are there any general tips for navigating booths in a small town event?

Yes, here are a few tips for navigating booths in a small town event:
- Be respectful of the consultants' space and time
- Introduce yourself and ask if they have a few minutes to talk
- Avoid interrupting their conversations with potential customers
- If you are not interested in their products, simply smile and continue walking
- Be mindful of your body language and maintain a friendly and approachable demeanor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
Replies
Views
cookingwith_tara