• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Self-Rising Crust Pizza on Stones

In summary, when using a stone for baking pizza, there are a few things to keep in mind. Make sure your oven is preheated and that the stone is properly placed. To prevent sticking, lightly coat the stone with flour or cornmeal. If the pizza is not cooking evenly, try rotating it or adjusting the placement of the stone. It is not recommended to use a metal pan on top of the stone. To clean the stone, scrape off any excess food and rinse with water. Avoid using soap or detergent and let the stone air dry completely.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
I am having a problem with cooking self rising crust pizza on stones. The crust doesn't rise or get done. Like the DiGornos(?)

I do not have a problem. I just had red barron self rising for lunch. I put it in as the oven is heating up.

I guess it would help to have more info on how you are cooking it.

I am cooking it according to the directions on the box. I had a customer who was at a show Sat who threw me for a loop. When I asked who had a stone, she raised her hand. I said tell everyone why you love your stone. She said, I hate it!!. I was floored. She said she only bought it to make frozen pizzas on...she lives alone. I bought one and tried it and I didn't like the way it turned out either. The crust was gummy and flat.

Leslie - are you cooking it on the bottom rack of the oven? I find that works best -

I have tried it both ways

My best friend just bought a pizza stone b/c she had frozen pizza at her mom's & said it was great. She thought it was take out but wasn't her mom made it on the stone. She got one b/c she gets Pizza Hut at least twice a week.

I like my crust crunchier, so I put it in while the oven is preheating and I keep it in there as long as the longest time on the box says. When I take it out of the oven, I let it sit for up to 5 minutes too cause the crust isn't done cooking.

or Chicago Town(?) pizzas.Hi there, I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with cooking self-rising crust pizza on stones. This can be a common issue for many home cooks, but there are a few things you can try to ensure a successful result. First, make sure that your stone is preheated in the oven for at least 30 minutes before placing the pizza on it. This will help the crust to cook evenly and rise properly. Next, check the expiration date on your self-rising flour. If it's past its expiration date, it may not rise as well as it should. You can also try brushing the crust with a little bit of olive oil before baking. This can help to keep the crust from drying out and not rising properly. Lastly, be sure to follow the instructions on the pizza package for the correct oven temperature and baking time. Every brand and type of pizza may have different recommendations for optimal cooking. I hope these tips help you to achieve a perfectly cooked and risen self-rising crust pizza on your stone. Happy cooking!

1. Why is my pizza crust burning on the bottom when using a stone?

There are a few possible reasons for this issue. First, make sure your oven is preheated to the correct temperature and that the stone is properly placed in the oven. Also, be sure to use a light coating of flour or cornmeal on the stone to prevent the dough from sticking. If your crust is still burning, try reducing the oven temperature and extending the baking time. You can also try placing the pizza on the top rack of the oven instead of the bottom.

2. How can I prevent my pizza from sticking to the stone?

To prevent sticking, lightly coat the stone with flour or cornmeal before placing the pizza on top. You can also use parchment paper or a pizza peel to transfer the pizza onto the stone. It's also important to make sure the dough is not too wet or sticky before placing it on the stone.

3. Why is my pizza not cooking evenly on the stone?

Uneven cooking can be caused by a few factors. Make sure the oven is preheated to the correct temperature and that the stone is properly placed in the oven. You can also try rotating the pizza halfway through the baking time to ensure even cooking. If your oven has hot spots, you may need to adjust the placement of the stone or use a baking sheet underneath to distribute heat more evenly.

4. Can I use a metal pan on top of the stone for my pizza?

We do not recommend using a metal pan on top of a stone for pizza. The metal can interfere with the heat distribution and cause uneven cooking. It is best to place the pizza directly on the stone for the best results.

5. How do I clean my pizza stone?

It is not recommended to use soap or detergent to clean your pizza stone, as it can be absorbed into the stone and affect the taste of your food. Instead, scrape off any excess food with a spatula or scraper, and then rinse with water and a gentle brush if needed. Let the stone air dry completely before using it again. Over time, the stone may darken and develop a patina, which is normal and can enhance its non-stick properties.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedberry
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • chefjaclyn
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies