• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Soggy Crust With the Pizza Stone?

not great.I've also had problems with soggy crusts when I bake on the middle rack in the oven. I would try preheating the stone in the oven before adding the pizza.I've also had problems with soggy crusts when I bake on the middle rack in the oven. I would try preheating the stone in the oven before adding the pizza.
linojackie
I can't even remember what I used before I joined PC, but I seem to always get soggy crust when I make my own pizza on the stone. There is no color on the bottom and it is just limp. Does anyone have any advice on this? I hate to say it, but if I can't find a remedy, I may have to find something else to cook my pizzas on. I like crispy crust, and soggy is just not cuttin it.

(BTW, my stone is 2 1/2 years old)

Hmmmm...what kind of crust are you using? I don't think I have ever had a soggy pizza on the stone.

I'm with Jennifer.

I'm not sure what kind of crust you are making - but I've never had a soggy crust. Just made a homemade pizza for dinner tonight - and no soggy crust!

Is it a homemade crust or a boughten one?

are you pre-baking the crust?

There are a couple of things that might be causing the trouble. Is your oven temp correct? My oven runs a bit cool. A difference of 10 degrees isn't unheard of. Are you putting the stone in the bottom third of the oven? Most of us tend to bake in the middle. Pizza usually should be baked toward the bottom. Finally, I always spray both sides of the crust with a bit of oil. It helps the bottom to crisp and keeps the sauce from soaking in.

raebates said:
There are a couple of things that might be causing the trouble. Is your oven temp correct? My oven runs a bit cool. A difference of 10 degrees isn't unheard of. Are you putting the stone in the bottom third of the oven? Most of us tend to bake in the middle. Pizza usually should be baked toward the bottom. Finally, I always spray both sides of the crust with a bit of oil. It helps the bottom to crisp and keeps the sauce from soaking in.

Rae is correct on all points here. What is your oven temp. that you bake at? We bake our pizzas at 425 degrees for 15 to18 min. Also is your crust too doughy to begin with? When you roll it out, is it sticky when you handle it? If it is add a bit of flour. Too much sauce could be a problem too, we use about half a jar of Ragu pizza quick sauce, maybe even a bit less, but just not the whole jar. That may be more about taste. Just keep experimenting.
You might try some cooking websites that would have a video or more detailed directions on making homemade pizza. Hope this helps. Homemade pizza is definately worth the work and effort. Have fun.:)
Deb

I'd try cooking it a few minutes longer -- check the bottom and see when it is done. I never have any of my crusts soggy on the stones.

I agree, bake towards the bottom of the oven and I also dust the stone with some cornmeal that helps with a crispier crust.

I always put my stone in to preheat with the oven and then add my pizza. Never had a soggy crust.

elizabethfox said:
I always put my stone in to preheat with the oven and then add my pizza. Never had a soggy crust.

I had a problem with soggy crusts as well until I started preheating my stone in the oven and moved the pizza to the bottom of the oven instead of the middle. Very good advice!

My BIL always preheats his stones and then uses a pizza peel to slide on his pizzas. They are very thing crust pizzas and he likes to have a crisp crust.Using the bar pan for my pizzas, I can't do that. But I do prebake my crusts.

I also preheat my stone and also prebake the crust as well. After the crust browns up I pull it out, add the toppings, and whip it back in until the cheese melts.

I use my stone so I don't have a soggy crust. lol All advice is appropriate. Make sure your stone is seasoned too. But seasoned or not it should not be soggy.

I sometimes use a pre-made dough from the store, and other times use the pillsbury dough. And I bake at 400. But I think I have been baking in the middle as opposed to the bottom. However, upon further thought, I hadn't noticed the problem until we moved into the this house 6 months ago. And in fact, EVERYTHING turns out kinda funky. I'll try your advice and report back on the results.

Thanks everyone!

Baked it on the lowest rack above the burner and it turned out much better this time. Thanks everyone!!

linojackie said:
I sometimes use a pre-made dough from the store, and other times use the pillsbury dough. And I bake at 400. But I think I have been baking in the middle as opposed to the bottom. However, upon further thought, I hadn't noticed the problem until we moved into the this house 6 months ago. And in fact, EVERYTHING turns out kinda funky. I'll try your advice and report back on the results.

Thanks everyone!

Have you thought about looking into an oven thermometer? That would tell you if your oven is running higher or lower than the temp, and also if it is fluctuating alot.

My old oven, before I finally got my new one, sometimes ran hotter, and sometimes ran colder - and it could spike really high sometimes. I used to tell my DH I was a better cook than he even thought, because I could actually make meals in that thing!

ChefBeckyD said:
Have you thought about looking into an oven thermometer? That would tell you if your oven is running higher or lower than the temp, and also if it is fluctuating alot.

My old oven, before I finally got my new one, sometimes ran hotter, and sometimes ran colder - and it could spike really high sometimes. I used to tell my DH I was a better cook than he even thought, because I could actually make meals in that thing!

I had cooked in my oven for years...no problems. Then all of a sudden, many things were not turning out for me. At fisrt, I thought it was me. Then it seemed like everything I made took longer or didn't turn out so I did go get an oven thermometer and sure 'nuf, it was off. I found out my oven was not even up to temp when it beeped telling me pre-heat was done. No wonder I was having issues. My oven was not hot enuf when I put stuff in and was never hot enuf during the cooking time. I adjusted the temp on the controls to get it correct...finally after months of that, I found a great "double" oven with the small oven on the top and the regular size oven on the bottom. There is just no "storage" drawer on the bottom...but I never really utilized that anyway. Love, Love, Love my new oven and lots of days they are both going at the same time!

1. Why is my crust always soggy when using the pizza stone?

The most common reason for a soggy crust when using a pizza stone is that the stone has not been preheated properly. It is important to preheat the stone in the oven for at least 30 minutes before placing the pizza on it. This will ensure that the stone is hot enough to crisp up the crust.

2. Can I use a pizza stone on the grill?

Yes, you can use a pizza stone on the grill. However, it is important to make sure that the stone is specifically designed for grilling and can withstand high temperatures. It is also recommended to preheat the stone on the grill for at least 30 minutes before placing the pizza on it.

3. How do I prevent toppings from sticking to the pizza stone?

To prevent toppings from sticking to the pizza stone, it is important to lightly dust the stone with cornmeal or flour before placing the pizza on it. This will create a barrier between the pizza and the stone, preventing the toppings from sticking.

4. Do I need to wash my pizza stone after each use?

No, you do not need to wash your pizza stone after each use. In fact, washing the stone with soap and water can damage it. Instead, allow the stone to cool completely and then scrape off any excess food or residue. If needed, you can wipe it down with a damp cloth.

5. Can I use parchment paper on the pizza stone?

Yes, you can use parchment paper on the pizza stone. This can help prevent toppings from sticking and make it easier to remove the pizza from the stone. Just make sure to trim the parchment paper so it does not extend beyond the edges of the stone to prevent it from catching fire in the oven.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jillmami
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • chefjaclyn
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
Replies