• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Did My Oven-Roasted Chicken Turn Out Rubbery?

In summary, a catalog show host received a DCB and cooked a chicken in it for the first time. However, the chicken turned out rubbery and inedible. After seeking advice, it was determined that the chicken was cooked at too high of a temperature (425 degrees) for too long (1 hour and 15 minutes). The use and care card for the DCB recommends baking at 400 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes, with the lid removed for the last 15-20 minutes. It was suggested that the host should have used a lower temperature (such as 350 degrees) and followed the recommended baking instructions. Other experienced users of the DCB also shared their preferred method of baking chicken at a lower
clshirk
I got this email from a catalog show host. She was so excited about getting her DCB, to find out when she got it, it wouldn't fit in her microwave. So she cooked a chicken in the oven. It was the first thing she's ever cooked in it.
What went wrong?

"Well the chicken was way rubbery. Like almost not edible. It cooked for an hour and 15 minutes to get it to 180 degrees - 425 degress. We removed the lid at 140 degrees. It was a fresh hen. Should it not have been a fresh hen? Did we cook it to long or should have taken the lid off at a different point. AGGHHH... I don't know. Dh isn't so impressed with the DCB now. "

oh and she said that she followed a recipe that said take off the lid for so much time at the end. She said it was really juicy, but too rubbery to try to eat.

I would say the temp was way too high.:yuck: The DCB holds so much heat AND gets hot itself. If she would back it down to 350-375 it will be much better.

When I used to bake my chicken in the oven I would keep the lid on until the last 15 minutes of baking. I usually baked a 4-5 lb chicken at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on the size of the chicken.

On PC's website there is a recipe for the juiciest roast chicken it bakes at 450 for 50-60 minutes uncovered.

It sounds like it cooked too long. I don't know why it took 15-25 minutes more to register 180...unless it was a large bird.

I had a show a couple weeks ago where the past host was there and said to me " Are you gonna use that DCB and if you do I have a story for everyone!" So I was kinda thinking "oh no, I wonder what happened" When the time came, she proceeded to tell about putting a chicken in the DCB with just an onion and celery, spritzed some olive oil on it and some Ital.seasoning (just like you said to do Milie!) and put it into the oven at 11am on 350 degrees and went about her day only to forget all about it and after running errands and coming home at 6PM (!!) she figured it would be a burnt up hockey puck in the pan!!! She opened the oven took off the lid and it was the most beautiful chicken she had ever cooked, it was so moist and flaky and she wanted everyone to buy one of those pans!!! I am now using this testimonial at all my shows..I also got 4 bookings cuz they all want that pan!!!!:love:

So you guys are thinking that either she should have cooked it less time with it open
OR
Dropped the heat to 350 for the 1 hr 15min?

The second was my idea- I just think she dried it out on the outside.
I just wanted to see what you guys would say.

Yes I think she should have had the temp no higher than 350

I agree with the temp. When I saw the 425- that was my first thought. I've usually done it for around 350 for that length of time with similar results as what I get from the microwave. So it's not the product- but the recipe she followed. :)

The use and care card states:

Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake 1 hour-1 hour, 15 minutes or until Pocket Thermometer registers 180°F in meaty part of thigh and juices run clear. Carefully remove lid, lifting away from you, during last 15-20 minutes of baking. Remove from oven. Transfer chicken and vegetables to serving platter; tent with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 minutes before carving.

So it looks like she had the temp way too high, and let it bake for way too long.

It looks like she should have baked it for an hour, and then baked uncovered for 15 minutes. If it was a smaller bird, like a hen...maybe she could have baked it covered for 45m and then uncovered for 15m.

Me personally, I do as the others stated....I cook it at 325 or 350 for an hour. Since I discard the skin, I don't worry about uncovering for the last 15 m
HTH

Chefgirl2 said:
When I used to bake my chicken in the oven I would keep the lid on until the last 15 minutes of baking. I usually baked a 4-5 lb chicken at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on the size of the chicken.

On PC's website there is a recipe for the juiciest roast chicken it bakes at 450 for 50-60 minutes uncovered.

It sounds like it cooked too long. I don't know why it took 15-25 minutes more to register 180...unless it was a large bird.

I've done the juiciest roast chicken at 450 many times, exactly as written, and it always turns out perfect. I am not patient enough to roast a chicken at 350, since discovering the 30 minute chicken...LOL!

My first guess was that it was an OLD bird, and probably should have been stewed not roasted.

1. How long should I cook the Dcb Chicken in the oven?

The recommended cooking time for Dcb Chicken in the oven is 25 minutes at 375°F. However, cooking times may vary depending on your oven and the size of the chicken pieces. It's always best to use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is fully cooked.

2. Can I marinate the Dcb Chicken before cooking?

Yes, marinating the Dcb Chicken before cooking can add extra flavor and moisture. We recommend marinating for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours, in the refrigerator.

3. Do I need to flip the chicken while it's cooking in the Dcb?

No, there is no need to flip the chicken while it's cooking in the Dcb. The design of the Dcb allows for even cooking without the need to flip the chicken.

4. What temperature should the Dcb Chicken reach when it's done cooking?

The internal temperature of the Dcb Chicken should reach 165°F to ensure it is fully cooked. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature in the thickest part of the chicken.

5. Can I use the Dcb Chicken in Oven for other meats besides chicken?

Yes, the Dcb can be used for cooking other meats such as pork, beef, and fish. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time and temperature according to the type of meat you are cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
kristina16marie
  • JackieB999
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Christ Follower
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies