• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Frozen Chicken in DCB: Tips for Perfect Results

In summary, a guest emailed about difficulty cooking frozen chicken breasts in the DCB. Suggestions were made to defrost them first in the DCB before cooking, or to partially defrost in the microwave on low power. Some recommended trimming the meat before freezing for easier cooking. It was also noted that frozen food can be placed on a room temperature stone in a pre-heated oven without causing thermal shock.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
A guest emailed me and said she tried to do frozen chicken breasts in the DCB and they didn't come out right. I normally do them fresh so I told her I would check here.

This is what she said:
the chicken had some dry spots. After 30 minutes the chicken was still not done, so I did it another 10.

My thought is she needs to defrost them in the DCB first before putting the microwave on full power?

I cook the frozen chicken breast tenderloins in the microwave all the time with no problem. It could be that she's using the whole breast and it's just too thick to do that way. Defrosting in the DCB in the microwave sounds like good advice to me, though.

When I've done chicken breasts, I don't recall doing them for that long. I can double check with my friend Kelly on how long she has cooked them for. Did she start them at 30 minutes without checking or turning over?

In thinking this through more, a whole chicken (thawed) cooks for 30+ minutes...even frozen, it was too long in the microwave for those. I'd have done them for 15 minutes, checked, even turned them over and done another 8 after that to test (and potentially at a lower temp than full power)

I put mine in a ziplock bag & soak the bag in hot water for about 10 min's first to thaw. Just because I can't stand the thought of NOT trimming the meat first.

I have some recipes I've developed for frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts. It calls for microwaving them for 15 minutes, then chopping them up with the salad choppers and putting back in for 10 minutes. The middle of the chicken breasts are still raw when you chop them with the salad choppers but it helps keep the edges from getting hard which happens when you leave them whole for the entire time.

I thaw my chicken and other meat on a piece of Executve cookware (takes an amazingly short amount of time). But if I'm caught with not even that time i will either do as Kristina does or I will partially defrost on lower power in the microwave, then cook as usual. If ends start to cook, just trim them.

Tip: trim the chicken (or other meats) before freezing them. I repackage almost all meats before freezing as there are just two of us so most packages are enough for more than one meal. It just takes minutes to do it and saves time later.

Does anyone have problems with thermal shock? I always thought you shouldn't put frozen food on stones and start to cook or defrost them. Does the fact that you're using a microwave make a difference?

pchef2008 said:
Does anyone have problems with thermal shock? I always thought you shouldn't put frozen food on stones and start to cook or defrost them. Does the fact that you're using a microwave make a difference?

Yes, it's the microwave that allows you do it. You would have problems doing this in the microwave...

pchef2008 said:

Thermal shock happens when you put frozen things on a HOT stone. You can put frozen food on a room temperature stone & cook them in a pre-heated oven without worrying. But don't pre-heat the stone along with the oven.

1. How do I defrost frozen chicken in the Deep Covered Baker (DCB)?

To defrost frozen chicken in the DCB, place the chicken in the baker and cover it with a lid or plastic wrap. Microwave the chicken on the defrost setting for about 5 minutes per pound. Make sure to check the chicken periodically and rotate it for even defrosting.

2. Can I cook frozen chicken in the DCB without defrosting it first?

Yes, you can cook frozen chicken in the DCB without defrosting it first. However, it is recommended to defrost the chicken first for more even cooking and to avoid food safety concerns.

3. What is the best way to season frozen chicken in the DCB?

The best way to season frozen chicken in the DCB is to mix your desired seasonings with a small amount of oil or melted butter and brush it onto the chicken. This will ensure that the seasonings stick to the chicken and add flavor.

4. How long does it take to cook frozen chicken in the DCB?

The cooking time for frozen chicken in the DCB will vary depending on the size and type of chicken. As a general rule, it will take about 50% longer to cook frozen chicken compared to thawed chicken. It is important to use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken has reached a safe internal temperature of 165°F before serving.

5. Can I use frozen chicken in the DCB for slow cooking?

Yes, you can use frozen chicken in the DCB for slow cooking. However, it is recommended to defrost the chicken first for more even cooking and to avoid food safety concerns. The DCB can also be used for fast cooking methods, such as roasting or baking, for frozen chicken.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• brandikpc
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • kzegar