• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

theSocializing at My Shows Is Getting Out of Hand -

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to handle guests having loud social conversations during her demos. She wants to address the issue at the beginning of her demo without offending anyone. She plans on giving guests permission to socialize but also reminding them to be respectful of other guests who are interested in the demo. This approach has been successful for another consultant and has resulted in increased bookings and more enjoyable shows.
AMTC
Gold Member
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I'd like to know what you think of how I'm thinking of handling it - for 3 out of my past 4 shows, I've lost control because people (almost always the neighbors of the host) are having social conversations during the demo. I talk louder and so do they. I am okay with it in that it doesn't offend me, but other guests at the shows have been very upset because they haven't been able to hear anything. It also does distract me and I can't demo properly and last night I forgot to mention a promotion I'm having because I was so distracted. So I thought from the very beginning I should maybe nip this in the bud?

Here's how I plan on opening my demo - of course I'll try to say it in a lighthearted way and not offend anyone, but please tell me if you think it will?

Thanks

Thank you all for coming tonight - I'd like to start off by saying as
much as I wish I didn't have to mention this, for my past few shows
I've had a real problem with guests having very loud social
conversations with each other during the demo. Now truthfully I don't
mind, however I have had OTHER guests that are really interested in
the demo get very upset when the noise level gets too loud and they
can't hear anything. Plus it does slow me down and I have even gotten
distracted and forgotten to talk about specials that are available to
everyone. Also if I keep yelling over a crowd, I lose my voice by the
end of the night.

So if you could please be respectful of the other guests tonite, but PLEASE
feel free to ask questions or if you've had a good experience with a
Pampered Chef Product PLEASE share it with the group! If you've had a
bad experience with a product, please keep it to yourself (kidding!)
and I PROMISE we will get through the demo a lot quicker, everyone will havea great time and you'll get plenty of time to socialize when we are
finished. Thankyou so much!

We just talked about this at our Cluster Meeting this week......my director has started doing something she learned from Julie Weis, and she said her bookings have doubled, and her shows have been alot more fun.....

She gives everyone permission to socialize!!! She tells them at the beginning of the show that, although she wants them to learn something new, she also wants them to have fun, and she is not their teacher, and she isn't going to rap knuckles or anything....she knows that a big reason they are there is for fun and to see and talk to their friends, so please feel free to chat if they need to catch up. She makes this into a booking talk by adding that hosting a party is so easy, and a great way to catch up and visit with friends.... and if you are someone who is saying to yourself that you don't have time to host a party, than you are someone to needs to have a party! If you don't have time to set aside a few hours in the next couple months to visit with friends, than you aren't taking time for the people who are most important to you....and you need to!
She said that giving people that permission to chat actually makes them more
attentive! (reverse psychology?) No one likes to be told that they can't do something!

ChefBeckyD said:
We just talked about this at our Cluster Meeting this week......my director has started doing something she learned from Julie Weis, and she said her bookings have doubled, and her shows have been alot more fun.....

She gives everyone permission to socialize!!! She tells them at the beginning of the show that, although she wants them to learn something new, she also wants them to have fun, and she is not their teacher, and she isn't going to rap knuckles or anything....she knows that a big reason they are there is for fun and to see and talk to their friends, so please feel free to chat if they need to catch up. She makes this into a booking talk by adding that hosting a party is so easy, and a great way to catch up and visit with friends.... and if you are someone who is saying to yourself that you don't have time to host a party, than you are someone to needs to have a party! If you don't have time to set aside a few hours in the next couple months to visit with friends, than you aren't taking time for the people who are most important to you....and you need to!
She said that giving people that permission to chat actually makes them more
attentive! (reverse psychology?) No one likes to be told that they can't do something!
I didn't find Annie's comments offensive at all but I do like this approach much better. Thanks for sharing.

BethCooks4U said:
I didn't find Annie's comments offensive at all but I do like this approach much better. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't find them offensive either....just giving her another perspective that I learned from my director this week!;) I KNOW that it can be frustrating trying to talk over a noisy crowd!

Julie also appoints someone as the "Party Cop" who is in charge or making sure there is NO NEGATIVITY at the show. (You can give them a squirt gun, mini-siren or whatever) This person may also feel empowered to keep folks a little quieter.

Julie has commercials and she tells people that unlike at home where they get up and get something to eat or use the bathroom, they have to listen during the commercials (bookings, recruiting and the 3rd escapes me). During the rest of her presentation they are free to get a cup of coffee, use the bathroom, visit, etc.

You might be better off (when the crowd gets loud) to invite those who are really paying attention to move closer. NEVER raise your voice. This only makes the situation worse. DO get quieter . . . this is more likely to bring the volume down.

I feel like the point of going to all the parties we get invited to is that they are social events. ( I get invited to a lot! In the neighborhood of 24 houses that I live in, there are 7 companies represented!! So I have an invitation or two on my door weekly!)

There was another thread about this topic a while back that had an idea that I have used. You can rap a wooden spoon to get the talkers attention and light-heartedly ask if you need to separate them? This gets a laugh from everyone.

I do agree though, it is hard to keep control of a group sometimes. When I am doing my demo I like to get everyone more involved by asking if anyone has the product that I am about to use, then having someone who doesn't own it come up to demo it. I have sold a few of the Microplane Graters this way and been told several times that they wouldn't have bought it if I didn't make them use it.

I am still very new at this, and hate being the center of attention, so everything I do at this point is still a work in progress, and I love this site and getting ideas from everyone here!

Sheryl

chefjeanine said:
Julie also appoints someone as the "Party Cop" who is in charge or making sure there is NO NEGATIVITY at the show. (You can give them a squirt gun, mini-siren or whatever) This person may also feel empowered to keep folks a little quieter.

Julie has commercials and she tells people that unlike at home where they get up and get something to eat or use the bathroom, they have to listen during the commercials (bookings, recruiting and the 3rd escapes me). During the rest of her presentation they are free to get a cup of coffee, use the bathroom, visit, etc.

You might be better off (when the crowd gets loud) to invite those who are really paying attention to move closer. NEVER raise your voice. This only makes the situation worse. DO get quieter . . . this is more likely to bring the volume down.
Excellent points!

And Becky, I wasn't saying YOU found her comments offensive - so sorry if you misread my comment!!

chefjeanine said:

That's what Rae does too! She said it's been working for her.

Rae, where are you?

BethCooks4U said:
Excellent points!

And Becky, I wasn't saying YOU found her comments offensive - so sorry if you misread my comment!!

Oh no Beth! I didn't think that. ( I hate not being able to hear tone of voice or inflection on here!) I just wanted to make sure that AMTC didn't think I was putting down her efforts to control the noise!

Stop talking!!!It can be very frustrating and very rude. I have always been raised to remain quiet and to give my attention to the person speaking (teacher, pastors, even PC chefs) to show respect and that I have manners!! LOL

If I can tell a crowd is going to be noisy or talkative, because we are starting late and they have been talking since they got there, I start out my introduction with something similar to that posted above.

"Hello ladies my name is Debbie Mireles and we are going to have fun, fun, fun tonight (or today). I am going to make two delicious recipes for you to sample. The first one is xxxxxx and the second is a luscious dessert called xxxxxxx.
I know that some of you haven't seen some of these people for a long time and want to socialize and catch up. I know the feeling of getting away from home, kids, and getting together with friends and family. I am going to have some games that require you to pay close attention to what I am saying. I have some neat prizes to give away tonight. I promise after I am done with my two short demos you can talk as much as you want and I will no longer keep you from each other. Just out of respect to everyone, I want everyone to be able to hear. If you have questions feel free to shout them out to me! Thank you and let's get started. I know some of you are hungry!!"
Now I don't have to make that announcement at all my shows. Actually I only do that occasionally when it's a rowdy bunch. But it usually works and no one is offended or thinking it's an unreasonable request. That way I can get through my demo quickly and easily! Then my games run smoothly too!

Debbie :D

I pass out tons of products throughout the show. At least if they are talking, they, hopefully are talking about the products in hand. It doesn't keep down the noise but it does keep them focused on the products.

I don't mind when socializing happens during the show. But when it starts to get out of hand I usually call on the person that is the loudest and ask a specific question, such as, Can you think of another idea for this product? or would you like to come up and try this product? etc. This way if they are participating it's hard to continue with their previous conversation.

But I do love it when everyone is having fun.

Sometimes I get real nervous when everyone is quiet, during the show. I usually try to do something that generates conversation, specially when it comes to PC products.

chee65 said:
Sometimes I get real nervous when everyone is quiet, during the show. I usually try to do something that generates conversation, specially when it comes to PC products.

I hear ya on that! My show last night had 18 people. I was so worried they were going to be rowdy, but instead they were very quiet and listened so intently...it was bizarre. I think the size of the room had something to do with it. It was a huge room with chairs lining the walls, so they were all spread out. :)

Good news is the show is $950 now with over $100 outside orders already in the hosts hands (but sans payment at the moment, so she didn't give them to me yet) and with more orders to come. :) I'm guessing we'll end up around $1200 or so.

Suggestions from my cluster meeting...We were talking about this at our last cluster meeting, and two great approaches were shared...

One was combines what many of you have shared already - "We are here to have fun" (etc...) "and I want you all to really enjoy your time together. I need just thirty minutes of your time, then we can all concentrate on eating (yummmm) and on catching up..."

The other, when things are really gone, is to start looking around without saying anything... under tables, under products, under people's chairs... When someone finally asks what you're doing, tell them "I seem to have lost control, and I can't find it!" This will usually start a good chuckle, then refocus the "guilty" ones for a few more minutes... light hearted, but to the point...

I hope those help!!

This is my personal opinon only! But I would'nt make any announcement about keeping quiet etc. at a show. They are there to have fun! I would be offended if you said that at my show. Again, just my personal opinion.I want people to talk and laugh etc. If I am the consultant -if someone is very loud etc. I just focus on the people who are listening and paying attention.
I don't equate loudness with being rude. I understand some people do, my friends are loud, but they are not rude.

Rebeccascabinet said:
This is my personal opinon only! But I would'nt make any announcement about keeping quiet etc. at a show. They are there to have fun! I would be offended if you said that at my show.

See there is my fine line - I don't want to offend those who want to socialize, but by not addressing this problem, the people who are paying attention ARE VERY OFFENDED! If EVERYONE were socializing, I wouldn't address it at all, but usually the group is split and last night I thought one woman was going to go over and smack some of the other women who were being loud.

I tried talking quieter, and the ones who were interested gathered around, but the ones who were talking were SO LOUD that the one's who were a foot away could not hear me, and believe me I was brought up in an Italian family so I don't have a whisper of a voice.

I'm not trying to DEMAND attention, I really don't mind socializing, but when it imposes on other guests then I feel it's become a problem... I'm just trying to find balance.....

I have had this happen to me at shows as well. I just let roll down my back and look for the people who are actually paying attention. When I see their eyes I Purposely start talking directly to them as far as the demo goes, and it almost makes it a one-on-one situation. Which makes them feel comfortable. Then when I am ready to play a game or present the recipe or take questions I make sure that I get everyones attention and they usually come around. I agree that this a time to get away from kids and work stresses and to get caught up with friends so to tell them not to socialize could put a downer on your party atmosphere. I like ChefBeckyD's suggestions also. That is a great reverse psychology move!

chefkitty said:
I have had this happen to me at shows as well. I just let roll down my back and look for the people who are actually paying attention. When I see their eyes I Purposely start talking directly to them as far as the demo goes, and it almost makes it a one-on-one situation. Which makes them feel comfortable. Then when I am ready to play a game or present the recipe or take questions I make sure that I get everyones attention and they usually come around. I agree that this a time to get away from kids and work stresses and to get caught up with friends so to tell them not to socialize could put a downer on your party atmosphere. I like ChefBeckyD's suggestions also. That is a great reverse psychology move!

Thats what I do.

Another "Anne" Yea! At one show, I gave the Host's Aunt a stainless bowl and a scraper. She banged on it when people got loud. She even went right next to them. It was hilarious!

I have a few regulars who are soooo loud and boisterous through my shows that it can be quite offputting. Once the noise level is too high I use them as volunteers up front with me. Obviously they don't mind the attention! Just have a few things ready...take some chocolate eggs with you and have a prime noisemaker start throwing it to guests. Have the guilty ones answer questions regarding stoneware. Have a rowdy one come and cut the thinnest piece of pepper she can.
Personally I think the announcement would start out your party on a negative spin and people would then remember you for the wrong reasons..afterall, they are more attentive and retaining more information in the first 20 minutes of your show then any other time.

Walking around the group with a tool will also help them refocus. Let us know what you did!

Misty

I think that trying different things to keep your guests involved and interested in what you are doing would be a much better approach.

Pass products around, play "games" (I use that word loosely), ask questions, etc. Getting them talking when it's about PC isn't necessarily a bad thing!

ChefBeckyD said:
She makes this into a booking talk by adding that hosting a party is so easy, and a great way to catch up and visit with friends.... and if you are someone who is saying to yourself that you don't have time to host a party, than you are someone to needs to have a party! If you don't have time to set aside a few hours in the next couple months to visit with friends, than you aren't taking time for the people who are most important to you....and you need to!

Been using this same line for a few months now, and my bookings have literally skyrocketed. I have people ALL THE TIME that come up to me after the party and thank me for not being "stuffy" about my demo. My parties are getting more and more relaxed and non-demo'ish. It's really working - and wow it's so much more fun for me too to not have to have a "spiel" ready to go. LOL

Laura,

I'd love to hear more in detail what you've been doing.

PamperedChefDebi said:
That's what Rae does too! She said it's been working for her.

Rae, where are you?

I was off doing a show!

This has been working really well for me. On Thursday I did a show with 17 guests. At times the socializing got a bit out of hand. When that happened I began speaking in a stage whisper. It worked, as it usually does. Whispering makes most of us unconsciously think we're hearing a secret. It's amazing how quickly people will pay attention when they think they're hearing a secret. :p

I also find that people listen mroe closely now that I'm doing the "Have it! Love it!" game. If they aren't listening, they can't be the first to yell out and get a candy.

raebates said:
I also find that people listen mroe closely now that I'm doing the "Have it! Love it!" game. If they aren't listening, they can't be the first to yell out and get a candy.

This sounds GREAT! I need specifics on this one - I think I have the general idea - do you give candy if someone says they have and love something you are demoing?

Also, I feel like a lot of posters here missed my point entirely - I'm not against socializing, I'm not trying to entirely prevent it and believe me, I don't work off a spiel - the issue I'm trying to address is when HALF THE GROUP is socializing and the OTHER HALF is getting pissed off at them. I'm just trying to prevent fist fights at my shows and make the group more cohesive.

Last edited:
raebates said:
I was off doing a show!

This has been working really well for me. On Thursday I did a show with 17 guests. At times the socializing got a bit out of hand. When that happened I began speaking in a stage whisper. It worked, as it usually does. Whispering makes most of us unconsciously think we're hearing a secret. It's amazing how quickly people will pay attention when they think they're hearing a secret. :p

DOING A SHOW??? Well at least someone was working.

sorry for the threadnapping. go back to your regularly scheduled posting.

I always tell my guests that they are more than welcome to talk. I throw in the fact that as a former teacher, I'm used to students talking while I'm talking, so it doesn't bother me at all. That always gets a laugh b/c they know what I'm talking about. And -- more times than not, if they're talking, they're talking about the PC products, so that helps my business the way I see it. Just another opinion. :)

spoiledchef said:
And -- more times than not, if they're talking, they're talking about the PC products, so that helps my business the way I see it. Just another opinion. :)

Ahhh, if only that were what they were talking about at my show Friday night, but they were talking everything BUT Pampered Chef .....:( The other reason I know is because the people who were up front spent a lot more than the neighbors who it was obvious were making gratuitous purchases only.

I had to see my host the next day - she's also a good friend of over ten years - and she apologized profusely for her neighbors. She said she was mad at them because she felt like she missed half the demo because of them.

When I told her that I didn't get any bookings, but there were a couple of bobbleheads there that I was going to call and I named them - she said they were her good friends from high school and she's certain they'll book - then she said "I wouldn't call my neighbors though"

Don't worry ......:cool:

AMTC said:
This sounds GREAT! I need specifics on this one - I think I have the general idea - do you give candy if someone says they have and love something you are demoing?

When I mention a product, the first person to yell, "Have it! Love it!" gets a candy. They have to be willing to tell everyone why they love it. I also toss candies for questions about products or the business. At the end of my show, the person with the most candies (or empty wrappers ;) ) gets a prize.

BethCooks4U said:
DOING A SHOW??? Well at least someone was working.

That's right. Since you seem to be the designated mom, I'm now Mommy's favorite. Right?

That's good!
AJPratt said:
Another "Anne" Yea! At one show, I gave the Host's Aunt a stainless bowl and a scraper. She banged on it when people got loud. She even went right next to them. It was hilarious!

I LOVE THAT!! LOL

I think sometimes people just need to be reminded that they need to respect others in the room. I sometimes can't help it myself and if I get into a good conversation, it seems the whole world around me disappears and I can talk and talk until I am told by my husband,
"It's time to go honey," or "It's time for bible study to start!"
I don't think anybody is offended when they are told to stay quiet for a while, when I do my demo. Everyone is very cooperative and even tell me "Oh sorry about that." I tell them don't worry about it, I promise that after you see all the wonderful tools and start to sit and sample this food, I won't interupt anymore!!
It works every time. Although I had a show once where the ladies were all men haters, who drank and drank and drank. Bashing and trashing their ex husbands, ex boyfriends and one night stands that never called back. :eek:
I was glad to get out of there and had to add this show to another friend's show to even have their stuff shipped at our discount shipping price.
Debbie :D

When I move around, people take notice will stop talking. I like the candy game.

Kathy

Since you don't have a problem with the socializing, but you don't want it to get out of hand (been there too, unfortunately!)--I like the idea of saying something similar to what Julie Weitz does that someone else mentioned earlier. Tell them at the beginning that you want them to have a good time & feel like they can chat, but please remember that several of us here came to learn new tips to take back to their kitchens. So to please be considerate of those who would like to hear me & keep the conversations on the quieter side until the demo is done.

That way they can still feel like they can chat, but that they should do it quietly until you're done. Then if they get loud, you can just remind them that some people are here to learn tips & they are having a hard time listening. But some people just don't get it & won't get it, no matter how much you mention it & probably STILL wouldn't get it if you hit them over the head with it! Good luck!

I taught high school chemistry in the inner city for 4 years and did some staff developements--adults are by far harder to control than high schoolers (even when I started at 22), but here is what I learned. The loudest most flamboyant person there is the cheerleader (helper if it were class). Judge from the beginning--depending on the interest taylor your intro. Don't demand silence--who would want that- they came to a show, a party not a class. If you want to do a class then book a cooking class. When someone is talking alot-load say OMG you would make an awesome consultant-you are soo outgoing. I am soo glad you came you're definately the life of the party aren't you (this must be delivered sincerely or it's threatening). She's flattered and now on your side. Give her what she wants-the spotlight. Say something like, Come here and help me chop this broccoli--you are going to love our food chopper. Once she does it and is flooded with attention ask her a leading question. She's more than eager to voice her opinion-in my experience EVERYONE is just waiting to say what they think about most everything (it's the egocentric nature in all of us). Next guest up--the person she was talking to this diffuses their conversation. The more guest interaction the more fun-just like chemistry class.

I LOOOOOOVVVEE it when my shows are loud and rowdy! I have also noticed that these are some of my highest shows. Most often they are not only catching up with each other but looking through the catalogs as well. Converstaion usually begins and ends with a PC product! At shows like these the guests sold each other on the items! :D :D :D

Not sure if anyone mentioned, as I didnt read through, but I always assign tasks.
I have a Town Crier ~ She is responsible to standing and shouting the news of the day (the Guest Special).
I have a Negativity police ~ She gets a whistle and gets to blow it as loud as she wants.
Also, a cheerleader ~ she gets a clapper and the pink bowls and caddy filled with kisses to hand out when someone says something wonderful about PC products.

Also, I think the biggest reason my guests generally dont get away from me too often is that I really over load them with fun facts and interesting tips. I am often told that I have a no pressure sales stance, but offer the most informative shows they have attended.... so I dig that!

If you are constantly loosing your people, maybe step out of the demonstrator role, and be more like one of the guests. Have fun, joke around, offer great tips, and people will be more willing to listen I think. Also backing up your cheerleader and actually throwing chocolate around the room yourself is a great way to keep people attention... nobody at my shows likes getting lopped upside the head with a piece of chocolate...hehe.

With Summer time coming...we hope... one of my favorite recipes is the Apple Berry Salsa. I did loads of research on the ingredients themselves and came out with some amazing information. Some of my favorite tips I learned though...
Kiwi is a natural meat tenderizer. If you cut it in half and rub it on a tough cut of meat, it will tenderize it. Also, Kiwi is fantastic for men with impotence problems... of course, you would want to take a different approach with the handling of the kiwi in that case. :D Can you imagine.. your DH saying, "Uh, honey... what are you doing down there with a kiwi fruit?!" Bwahahaha.

Good luck though.. I know you can get things turned around!

I just had a loud show tonight- I think 13 people not counting the host and I. Anyhow, I just prefaced by saying, hey, introduce myself, etc etc, go over a few things, etc etc, let me say this, then you guys can chat. Then I'd make things, talk a little, some were chatting, some would ask me questions, etc. I didn't mind it one bit. For our area, it was a pretty good show too. I was really impressed with some of the purchases. I got 5 bookings from it too.

clshirk said:
I just had a loud show tonight- I think 13 people not counting the host and I. Anyhow, I just prefaced by saying, hey, introduce myself, etc etc, go over a few things, etc etc, let me say this, then you guys can chat. Then I'd make things, talk a little, some were chatting, some would ask me questions, etc. I didn't mind it one bit. For our area, it was a pretty good show too. I was really impressed with some of the purchases. I got 5 bookings from it too.

WOW! 5 bookings? That's fantastic!! Hope the show total was great too!

Question 1: What is the most common issue with socializing at Pampered Chef shows?

The most common issue is guests having loud social conversations during the demo, which can be disruptive and distracting for both the presenter and other guests.

Question 2: How does this issue affect the presenter?

The presenter may have difficulty focusing and may even forget to mention important information or promotions due to the noise level. It can also cause strain on their voice if they have to constantly talk over the crowd.

Question 3: How does this issue affect other guests?

Other guests who are interested in the demo may become upset if they can't hear or understand what is being presented. They may also feel like their experience is being disrupted by the loud socializing.

Question 4: How does the presenter plan to address this issue?

The presenter plans on addressing the issue at the beginning of the demo by politely asking guests to be respectful of others and to save socializing for after the demo. They also plan on setting expectations for the evening and encouraging questions and positive experiences to be shared.

Question 5: Will this approach offend anyone?

The presenter will try to deliver their message in a lighthearted and non-confrontational manner, but there is always a possibility that someone may be offended. However, their main goal is to ensure an enjoyable and informative experience for all guests, so addressing this issue is necessary.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ms_twana
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • beckysuem
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
beckysuem
  • Bren706