• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

The Great Postcard Debate: Cardstock or Official Paper?

In summary, the author found Staples had 'official' postcard paper which was perforated for easily going from full page to 4 postcards a page. The author also found that they did not have to print each postcard individually, they could just print on thick cardstock and then cut them. The author also found out that at Office Max, their discount did not apply if they used the cardstock. The author also found out that at Office Depot, their color postcards were only $.29 a page.
lkprescott
Silver Member
Okay, so I went to Staples last night to get some cardstock to print out my postcards and noticed they had 'official' postcard paper which is perforated for easily going from full page to 4 postcards a page.

So I grabbed a pack and the cardstock and something else and had sticker shock at the register. When I got home, I started doing more thinking and started wondering what other folks do for postcards.

Do you buy the postcard paper? Or do you just print on cardstock and cut apart?

I use 4 x 6 Blank Index cards

You can get 100 for 92 cents

I use these cards for so much stuff - I love these cards

I more thing - when buying your index cards - look for white ones - Staples usually have off white, Wal-Mart has white only - I think white looks alot better

~

So do you print each one individually then? I'm looking to feed mine through an HP printer.

I put a stack in my Lexmark and let them go.

I don't know anything about how they print with other printers

~

Generally I just print mine on thick card stock and then cut them - that gives me a little more flexibility in size as opposed to the perforated ones. So then printing with our discount card at Office max at $.39 a page it comes out to $.10 a card (when you bring your own card stock). Crazy thing to watch out for though, apparently our discount doesn't apply if we use their card stock! I'm still looking for good quality card stock that I can get in bulk - any suggestions anyone?PS I just learned that its only $.29 a page to print color at Office Depot. I wonder if our discount will apply to their card stock?

I've done both - the cardstock and the index cards. I prefer the index cards because then I can just print what I need. I can't get them in the HP printer though without them being formatted funny so I use my canon printer.

I use letter-size cardstock and cut them apart after printing. Then I can use the bright stock and have colored postcards, like Nancy's Artworks used to have. And I can run them through the printer twice, once on each side, and print my name and address in the return address area.

That's why I LOVE my Canon.. prints on both sides without doing it manually! (Yes, I am lazy!)

Thanks for the input guys! The postcards I got ended up being a package of 200 postcards for $20.66... I got enough cardstock to make 400 postcards for $9.32! Plus their colors I like vs plain ol' white. The math is a no-brainer but wasn't sure if there was any advantage to printing on the 'official' postcards vs the cardstock. I'm definitely taking these postcards back to the store for a refund.

finley1991 said:
That's why I LOVE my Canon.. prints on both sides without doing it manually! (Yes, I am lazy!)
I was too chea... er, frugal, to pay for the duplexer for my laser printer. :) And I so seldom actually print double-sided, it was probably a good decision. Although there is that occasional item... (which I usually end up printing at work. shhhh...)

HAHA! Mine's not a laser printer... just an inkjet. So I'm chea.... too! :)

1. What is the difference between cardstock and official paper for postcards?

Cardstock is a thicker and more durable paper option, while official paper is thinner and lighter.

2. Which paper type is better for sending postcards through the mail?

Official paper is the recommended option for mailing postcards, as it meets the USPS regulations for postcard thickness and weight.

3. Can I use cardstock for postcards if I don't plan on mailing them?

Absolutely! If you are using postcards for a party invitation or as a handout, cardstock can be a great option for a more professional and sturdy feel.

4. Is there a price difference between cardstock and official paper for postcards?

Generally, cardstock is more expensive than official paper. However, the price difference may vary depending on the specific brand and quality of paper.

5. Are there any design limitations when using official paper for postcards?

Official paper can be printed on using a standard printer, but it is important to consider the thickness and weight when designing. Avoid using too many heavy graphics or layers of ink, as it may affect the postcard's ability to be mailed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
stefani2
Replies
Views
rwester
  • wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen