• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tax Tips: Do I Need Receipts for Everything?

In summary, if you don't keep your receipts for every purchase, you may have trouble with an accountant in the future if they need proof of your expenses.
smilesarepriceless
Gold Member
For those that do use an accountant for their taxes, must you have a receipt for every single thing you turn into them?

Little things like --I know I bought several PC shirts, but didn't keep the receipts for them, etc...

Just trying to avoid the accountant from laughing at me :>

My accountant doesn't see my receipts. I print off my income/expense report from P3 and hand it to her with W2s and that is it!:)

I keep receipts in an envelope and use PP3 report. She looks at the PP3 report and knows the receipts are there. she also knows some might be missing, but knows I am honest. She doesn't keep all those receipts. If you get audited you'll need them though.

I didn't take my receipts to the accountant either - just my summaries. (I've been using Turbo Tax the past few years - lot cheaper than the accountant for the same results).

I keep my receipts but I've noticed that a lot of my grocery receipts have completely faded. After I realized that was happening I started making copies before filing, but if I get audited from a year or two ago the auditors are going to see a blank receipt with my handwriting only - the show date, name and total $$$. Wonder what they'd do with that?

dianevill said:
I didn't take my receipts to the accountant either - just my summaries. (I've been using Turbo Tax the past few years - lot cheaper than the accountant for the same results).

I keep my receipts but I've noticed that a lot of my grocery receipts have completely faded. After I realized that was happening I started making copies before filing, but if I get audited from a year or two ago the auditors are going to see a blank receipt with my handwriting only - the show date, name and total $$$. Wonder what they'd do with that?

I wondered the same thing about faded receipts. I think it is the paper that they print them on that makes them do that and surely IRS would understand, but then again, it is the IRS!

My family are accounts not me. They will take your receipts and figure it out for you but they will also charge you for their time. Much cheaper if you just take the information after you have it itemized into categories.

About the faded receipts. We had warranties that the stores have tried to get out because of that but I also have my cc statements and pay for everything on it. (pay off end of month) so I have proof. I think they do it on purpose just my thought

Related to Tax Tips: Do I Need Receipts for Everything?

1. Do I need to keep receipts for every single purchase?

It is always a good idea to keep receipts for all of your purchases, especially if they are related to business or tax deductions. However, if you are unable to obtain a receipt for a purchase, you can still deduct the expense as long as you have other forms of proof, such as a credit card statement or bank transaction record.

2. What types of expenses require receipts for tax purposes?

Any expenses that you plan to claim as tax deductions should be supported by receipts. This includes business expenses, charitable donations, and medical expenses. It is important to keep all of your receipts organized and easily accessible in case of an audit.

3. How long should I keep my receipts for tax purposes?

The general rule is to keep your receipts for at least three years after the tax return is filed. However, in some cases, it may be beneficial to keep them for a longer period of time. For example, if you are claiming a deduction for a capital asset, such as a home or investment property, you should keep the receipts as long as you own the asset.

4. Can I use electronic receipts for tax purposes?

Yes, electronic receipts are considered valid for tax purposes as long as they contain the same information as a paper receipt, such as the date, amount, and description of the purchase. It is important to keep these electronic receipts organized and easily accessible in case of an audit.

5. What happens if I am audited and do not have receipts for my deductions?

If you are audited and cannot provide receipts for your deductions, the IRS may disallow the deductions and you may have to pay additional taxes and penalties. It is important to keep all of your receipts organized and easily accessible to avoid any issues in case of an audit.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jj16
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
jenniferm
  • rennea
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
reba515
  • NewtoMom