• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tax Implications of NH-VT Catalog Show

In summary, the conversation is about sales tax and how it applies to a catalog show with a hostess living in New Hampshire (with no sales tax) and a consultant living in Vermont (with sales tax). It is determined that sales tax is based on the shipping address, so if all orders are shipped to the hostess in New Hampshire, there will be no sales tax. However, if orders are shipped individually to other states, the customers will have to pay their local tax rate. It is also mentioned that P3 can assist in looking up tax rates for orders within a 100-mile radius. The conversation also touches on the location of Middlesex, Vermont and its small size.
vtchef
I have a hostess who would like to do a catalog show, she lives in New Hampshire where there is no sales tax, I live in Vermont where there is sales tax, does anyone know how this works. I know she has family in Vermont. If people order from VT do they pay the 6% sales tax and the NH residents pay no sales tax. I hope this makes sense and apologize if posted in wrong place. Thank You

The sales tax is charged based on where the orders are shipped. So if they're all shipped to the host, there will be no tax. If there are orders shipped individually to folks in other states, they'll have to pay their local tax rate. P3 will look them up for you (if their ZIP codes are within 100 miles of you).

The tax is based on where the products are SHIPPED. If they all go to her, then no sales tax but if there are direct ship orders then their tax is based on where it is shipped too.

vtchef said:
I have a hostess who would like to do a catalog show, she lives in New Hampshire where there is no sales tax, I live in Vermont where there is sales tax, does anyone know how this works. I know she has family in Vermont. If people order from VT do they pay the 6% sales tax and the NH residents pay no sales tax. I hope this makes sense and apologize if posted in wrong place. Thank You

In my experience, sales tax is based on the shipping address of the show. If the show is being shipped to your hostess in New Hampshire, then I wouldn't charge shipping and handling to any of her quests. I may be wrong but that's how I've done it in the past. Hope that helps.

chefann said:
P3 will look them up for you (if their ZIP codes are within 100 miles of you).

I am glad you said that b/c i had been wondering why I had to manually look up some rates!! Thanks! You are just a wealth of info!!!:D

Thank you for your help. I appreciate all the help and information I get from all of you here.

Melody,

I just noticed your "location" is that the real name for a city?:D

Are you talking about Middlesex. It is not a city, it is a small town about 5 miles from Montpelier, the Capital of Vermont. If you drive through the village you do not want to blink because you will miss it (lol).

Yep I am talking about Middlesex. The "not blinking" is how the city I live in is.

1. What are the tax implications of hosting a Pampered Chef catalog show in New Hampshire or Vermont?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you are responsible for reporting and paying taxes on all income earned from your business, including catalog shows in New Hampshire or Vermont. However, since both states do not have a sales tax, you do not need to collect sales tax from your customers for their purchases.

2. Do I need to register for a sales tax permit in New Hampshire or Vermont if I am a Pampered Chef consultant?

No, you do not need to register for a sales tax permit in either state. Since Pampered Chef is a direct sales company, you are considered an independent contractor and not required to collect sales tax from customers.

3. Are there any other taxes I need to be aware of when hosting a catalog show in New Hampshire or Vermont?

In addition to income tax, you may also be responsible for paying self-employment tax. This is a tax on your net earnings from self-employment and is used to fund Social Security and Medicare. You should consult with a tax professional to determine if you need to pay self-employment tax.

4. Can I claim any business expenses related to my Pampered Chef catalog show on my taxes?

Yes, you can deduct business expenses related to your Pampered Chef business, including expenses incurred for your catalog show in New Hampshire or Vermont. These expenses may include supplies, mileage, and any other necessary expenses. Be sure to keep thorough records and consult with a tax professional for more specific guidance.

5. Is there any special tax reporting for catalog shows in New Hampshire or Vermont?

No, there is no special tax reporting required for catalog shows in these states. You will report your income and expenses from your Pampered Chef business on your federal tax return, just as you would for any other state. However, if you have questions or concerns about your specific tax situation, it is always best to consult with a tax professional.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefjessicah
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • buckeyefan08
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
chefann
  • Fluffy215