• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Swapping: Should I Work for a DS Company Selling Vitamins & Cleaning?

doesn't make much sense to me if you already love your products and...I love my products and I'm happy with PC.
heat123
Silver Member
Probably totally misspelled that but I got a totally random call from this M rep tonight asking to show swap? Any other DS company I maybe interested but she said they sell vitamins and housecleaning :confused: Would any of you do it? TIA!

I think there are some people that do Melaluca for the discount on here - It reminds me a little of Amway. The rep I talked to kind of turne dme off because he was talking about how his biz was so great and how limited mine was. Any rep that treats me that way will not et my business

I am not sure how you do a show swap with a Melaluca rep???

I know people that swear by their products. Here is there website: Melaleuca: The Wellness Company

Do you have a network of people you could invite? Would it impact sales/shows for PC if you did this swap?

heat123 said:
Probably totally misspelled that but I got a totally random call from this M rep tonight asking to show swap? Any other DS company I maybe interested but she said they sell vitamins and housecleaning :confused: Would any of you do it? TIA!
Sounds like what my cousin does and I remember comparing notes with him and I wasn't impressed...:grumpy: I dont know how much you know about it, but i would definitely find out as much as possible and then make your decision, personally I wouldnt bc I like where I am with PC and it keeps me busy enough!:D

I would not swap with them.

I have done the business before, it was really hard for me in my area because we are saturated with dollar stores and people here aren't that health wise! BUT, I have been a customer of theirs for several years and all my household products come from them. I don't buy the vitamins, but all my laundry, cleaning, bath products and all my makeup comes from them. I have terrible allergies and sinus trouble and these products help eleviate that a great deal. Very safe if you have kids, I would never buy products from the dollar store or Walmart that are full of toxins as long as I have kids around. They are very safe. If something of theirs was accidentally digested it would not be harmful. You can actually clean something without your eyes stinging and sneezing or whatever like I used to when I wasn't buying their products. GREAT company though, very legit!! Owned by a Christian man that is wonderful and a very giving person!! LOVE MELALEUCA~~~~ WILL ALWAYS GET MY PRODUCTS FROM THEM!!! I order every month!! I think it really depends on what the market is for in your area. No I wouldn't swap PC for it, but I do have a few people under me. Only because they are family and friends and Melaleuca has a lotion called Renew, that has sold everyone of them to it with that one product. It is great for anyone with skin problems, if they are spending tons of money at the dermatologist, they won't after using this stuff, unlike anything you've ever used!!!

Last edited:
Let me know if you want all the details. I know a lot about them! ;)

I have a friend that I get Melaleuca stuff from, because she orders for the discount. Their products are really good.

My mom did this quite a few years ago, but it never worked out for her....because of the market, I'm assuming. We have the same "dollar store" mentality here!!

I would NOT swap with them. Why would we want to swap such a great business as PC?? You could dig a little deeper though and find out if she's happy with Melaleuca. Maybe she is looking for something else and that's why she contacted you. She may want to try it out! Invite her to a show or invite her to book her own!

Kind of a hijack, but kinda not...
exactly what does it mean to 'swap shows'?

ljeffries said:
Kind of a hijack, but kinda not...
exactly what does it mean to 'swap shows'?
She would do a mela show for her, and the other gal would do a PC show.

I didn't even know they did "parties". My parents were in it for years & swore by their products, but now joined Livinity & love theirs more.

lacychef said:
She would do a mela show for her, and the other gal would do a PC show.
Meaning she would host a show, or actually go and do the show?

ljeffries said:
Meaning she would host a show, or actually go and do the show?
Actually go and do the show. The mela lady would do the PC show and Heather would do the mela show.

Doesn't make much sense to me if you already love your products and what you're doing. Would make me think that people would question what is wrong with your business that you would want to do another?!

Ok I misunderstood this whole thing I thought that she meant that the other person would host a PC party and she would host a party from their company, which I think would be a great idea. But if I am thinking wrong then I apoligize for the misunderstanding.

chefheidi2003 said:
Ok I misunderstood this whole thing I thought that she meant that the other person would host a PC party and she would host a party from their company, which I think would be a great idea. But if I am thinking wrong then I apoligize for the misunderstanding.
No your right. At least that is what I understand trading shows to be. Anyway, I don't know about that. Melaleuca reps don't work FOR Melaleuca. They are customers who refer customers and make a residual income based on the sales of people referred to the company. You have to sign up and become a member and pay a yearly fee ($29) to buy their products. In order to buy their products you also need to commit to buying products that equal a 35 point value (Preferred Member). Each product has a point value. If you don't commit to that you can just be a Direct member and pay a MUCH HIGHER price. The products are awesome though! It takes a load off my mind knowing that all the harsh chemicals are not being used in my house anymore.

If you meet with the Melaleuca rep and are comfortable with him then I would swap with him. He would get his friends together for a show and you will have new customers. Then he gets to meet your friends and tell them about the wonderful products that he carries. His business will not hurt yours and yours will not hurt his. Everyone cooks and everyone cleans.

I love melaleuca's products. I order every month. My daughter has allergies all year and switching to their products has greatly helped her. Yes, their products are more expensive than the Dollar Store when you purchase them. However, they are consentrated, so in the long run they are much cheaper. The laundry soap is equal to 3 or 4 bottles of Tide...you only use 1/8 a cup. It gets your clothes really clean and they smell great. I also use their bath and hair products as well as their make-up and skin care line. And I use their toothpaste and other personal items.

Okay, so I guess I totally misunderstood the "swapping" idea. I thought I had heard somewhere that you actually do eachother's show. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Okay, now that I understand, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea......sorry for being such a dough brain!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Their toothpaste is awesome. The only one that I know of that you can brush your teeth, then drink orange juice and it doesn't taste weird. I thought that was amazing.

Melaleuca doesn't do shows, they do Home Presentations. That's what they call them. But if you don't do the business, at least listen to the presentation and check out the products for yourself, and at least become a preferred customer. You don't HAVE to do the business. There are many many people that just order the products every month. You could tell them you'd like to be a 1, which is you would just like to refer a few people. That could be your family or best friends, because after you use the products, you WILL be telling people about them, I promise!!! Even if it is the fact that you are listening to someone say they are struggling with sinuses, or struggling with excema, you will be able to say, well this is what I use!! Like, I said, I would never switch from PC to Mela, but definitely do a home presentation with them and listen all about the products from the products stand point, not the business!!! But once someone does sign up under you you get residual income on that each and every month. I have 3 people under me, family and friends and I get about a $17 check every month. And I don't do anything. Not much, but heh, it can go in the gas tank!!

I was with Melaluca for awhile. I loved the cleaning products. But I got roped into a monthly autoship thing that was being billed directly to my credit card. I called to cancel it and they said they needed something in writing. I wrote a letter, and it kept coming. I got the credit card company to cancel their authority to charge my card, and even though I was refusing the packages, after 3 months they filed collections for the stuff. I had to get a lawyer. It was ugly.

As long as you send in a letter in writing before the 25th of ANY month you can cancel your membership. They do need it in writing. The only way you would get autoship (AKA as a Back up order) is if you didn't place your order before the ned of any given month. The backup order is so you can keep your :preferred" Status. It is a lot cheaper than the Direct prices. 30-40% cheaper!

Autoship?? They only do that IF you don't put your order in that month. It's called a back up order. You sign your initials on the agreement form so you know that if you forget to put your order in that month you will automatically get a back up order billed and shipped and you can even customize that back up order to get the things you would normally get. I'm sorry that happened to you "friday", but Heather just know that things like that don't normally happen with this company. So, although it happened to "friday", they are a reputable company with a debt free track record! BBB also!! To be a preferred customer you HAVE to order every month to replenish what you have used at home. That's they ONLY way to be a preferred customer and get the preferred customer prices.

pckelly said:
Autoship?? They only do that IF you don't put your order in that month. It's called a back up order. You sign your initials on the agreement form so you know that if you forget to put your order in that month you will automatically get a back up order billed and shipped and you can even customize that back up order to get the things you would normally get. I'm sorry that happened to you "friday", but Heather just know that things like that don't normally happen with this company. So, although it happened to "friday", they are a reputable company with a debt free track record! BBB also!! To be a preferred customer you HAVE to order every month to replenish what you have used at home. That's they ONLY way to be a preferred customer and get the preferred customer prices.
AND...why wouldn't you want to use the products?? They are awesome and not dangerous for your kids or family! Next time you walk through the cleaning aisle in the grocery store or Walmart-- take a big whiff!!! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

chefkristin said:
AND...why wouldn't you want to use the products?? They are awesome and not dangerous for your kids or family! Next time you walk through the cleaning aisle in the grocery store or Walmart-- take a big whiff!!! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Oh, I liked the stuff well enough, but I couldnt use that much of it. Its been 5 years and I still have bottles of concentrate on the shelf. I'm sorry I didn't sign my name on my message last time- I didnt mean to come off like I was trying to be anonymous.

Alison

friday said:
Oh, I liked the stuff well enough, but I couldnt use that much of it. Its been 5 years and I still have bottles of concentrate on the shelf. I'm sorry I didn't sign my name on my message last time- I didnt mean to come off like I was trying to be anonymous.

Alison
No worries Alison! Everyone had there own preference. The products are more expensive but I personally care about the "safer" more than the price. My husband loves the Alloy products for men. He doesn't voice his opinion on much but he said he really liked these!:thumbup: They smell GOOD too!!

slight Hijack,I got a call about 2 weeks ago from a Mela rep, who was trying to recruit me. She said she got my number from a friend and new that I sold PC and said she used to sell it, but found a better love for the Mela products.I had looked into Melaluca before, and thought it was too much like Amway and I had a bad experience w/ amway. So 5 mins into the conversation I asked her where she really got my number and she said it exchanged some hands and went to her son in California. I don't feel comfortable calling someone who did not give me their info or a friend reccomend. It was all too wierd.She claimed the products were cheaper than wal-marts.

Well they can be cheaper in the long run with all the concentrated products. For instance, the dish washing liquid Lemon Brite you use to hand wash dishes is only 3.99 for 28 oz. Well in one year I only purchased 2 of those!! I only spent 8 bucks the whole year on that. I hand wash my knives, my cookware and several other products and use that liquid everyday, including washing my hands with it at the sink. Now that's saving some money! So yes, it can be cheaper, even after paying for shipping charges. Some of the cleaners come in a 16 oz. bottle for 4.99 and the you buy the empty spray bottle, and you can make 4-24 oz. spray bottles with that one bottle of concentrated liquid. That's a little over a dollar a bottle and is WAY healthier for you and your family than buying toxins in bottle for 1.00 at the dollar store!! Or walmart for that matter.

OH and Melaleuca is not even compared to Amway, in my opinion. Mela is WAY better and I can't talk enough about it!

pamperedalf said:
slight Hijack,

I got a call about 2 weeks ago from a Mela rep, who was trying to recruit me. She said she got my number from a friend and new that I sold PC and said she used to sell it, but found a better love for the Mela products.

I had looked into Melaluca before, and thought it was too much like Amway and I had a bad experience w/ amway.

So 5 mins into the conversation I asked her where she really got my number and she said it exchanged some hands and went to her son in California. I don't feel comfortable calling someone who did not give me their info or a friend reccomend. It was all too wierd.

She claimed the products were cheaper than wal-marts.

I got a call a few weeks ago, too. She didn't have a chance to tell me the company name, but I will bet this is it!

She said she knew I sold PC and wanted to ask me if I "cared about my family enough to be concerned about all of the chemicals in cleaners and such." I do NOT like when people word things like that. If I say yes, they push their stuff on me, and if I say no, I am happy with the products I use in my home, then I am a heel. I told her before I answered her question that I wanted to know how she got my number. She gave me a very vague answer and I told her I wasn't interested.

I bet she got our numbers off of here...just visited out websites and boom! there's our number!

I would be interested in seeing their prices. IF they can save me money, I would be itnerested. I have investigated other companies like this, though, and it just doesn't save us anything. Our budget is VERY tight to begin with, so I can't spend extra....even if it is better for us! (That sounds bad, huh?)

Kelly:

The products will save you money in the long run...if you pay your preferred member fee. However, with some products there is more "up front" costs. The laundry soap is like buying 4 bottles of Tide at the same time, but it will cost you less with the Melaleuca product. What I did was start purchasing a little at a time until I had converted all of my cleaning, laundry and personal products. I normally only spend my 35 points worth in a month which will run about 60.00, but I don't have to buy the same thing every month. This month I bought laundry soap, shampoo, lotion, and some extra fun stuff and next month I will have to buy conditioner, dryer sheets, laundry brightner and dishwasher detergent. The next month I will buy my facial cleanser, moisturizer, and some make-up products for me and my daughter.

You can go online at melaleuca.com to check out the products. I don't think you can see the preferred price without becoming a member. I don't have a catalog handy. I actually don't even use a catalog because I order online. Maybe somone else can give you an example.

I cannot say enough about their great products. To some it seems expensive. I look at it like a Sam's Club membership. The great prices are exclusive to members. The vitamins are great and yes they are expensive, but all companies who sell vitamins have the same range of pricing. Like PC, you can't compare it to WalMart because their product is so much better.

I second that Shawnna!! You go girl!!

I have never tried their products, so I can't speak for them.

I can speak for the freaking annoying consultants that I have come in contact with, and there have been more than a few. I first looked into it as a home-based business to do and contacted someone. When I decided not to, the consultant continually harassed me and pretty much told me that I sucked as a mom because I wasn't doing right by my children by purchasing the "other" products out there.
Over the last 6 years, I have been approached by at least 9 other consultants, all with the same hard-sell technique. If it were one or two, I would put it down to personality, but to have all ten be that way, makes me think that that is how they are trained. Because of that, I have zero respect for the company and will never try their products because of it.
Sorry, I'll get off my non-melaleuca soap box now.

No, that isn't how we were trained, I can promise you that. I went through complete training, and I have NEVER approached people like that. But I have come across other marketing executives (that is what they are called) like that and have said that is not the way to approach people to join. Just be real and show the products and they sell themselves as people say, but then again those people might be training other people to do that. I know for a fact though, the company does NOT promote that type of training, they are taking it amongst themselves to be training that way. Or it is the team itself doing it, since there are teams out there that are the uplines. ie: MOMS group, Win at Home group, and so on. Sorry that happened to you. If people are interested, contact the company yourself and sign up, don't go through anyone and you can eleviate that.

Thanks, Kelly. That's good to know. I really hadn't just thought about it being the way a particular "upline" does things - my bad. It's just with all of the people being so pushy, it's left a distinct bad taste in my mouth.
Maybe I'll get around to trying a product or two now. :)

It's ok, I just know when I first joined several years ago, I choose to do things myself because my upline was REALLY pushy and I didn't think you needed to be that way to sell this stuff. And once a presentation is done, you have them for life, if they continue to buy the products so you didn't need to push so hard in my opinion. They either will go for it, or not.

pckelly said:
I have done the business before, it was really hard for me in my area because we are saturated with dollar stores and people here aren't that health wise! BUT, I have been a customer of theirs for several years and all my household products come from them. I don't buy the vitamins, but all my laundry, cleaning, bath products and all my makeup comes from them. I have terrible allergies and sinus trouble and these products help eleviate that a great deal. Very safe if you have kids, I would never buy products from the dollar store or Walmart that are full of toxins as long as I have kids around. They are very safe. If something of theirs was accidentally digested it would not be harmful. You can actually clean something without your eyes stinging and sneezing or whatever like I used to when I wasn't buying their products. GREAT company though, very legit!! Owned by a Christian man that is wonderful and a very giving person!! LOVE MELALEUCA~~~~ WILL ALWAYS GET MY PRODUCTS FROM THEM!!! I order every month!! I think it really depends on what the market is for in your area. No I wouldn't swap PC for it, but I do have a few people under me. Only because they are family and friends and Melaleuca has a lotion called Renew, that has sold everyone of them to it with that one product. It is great for anyone with skin problems, if they are spending tons of money at the dermatologist, they won't after using this stuff, unlike anything you've ever used!!!

Have to agree with almost everything she's said. I do use the vitamins and have so much more energy from using them. I have my own cleaning company as well and only use the mela products and have to say my hands are not all dried out from the chemicals like they were from using store bought. And yes Renue is awesome. It's a got to have. I didn't think that you do the same party kind of thing like we do. Is that what she's wanting? Ask her to see the products first and decide for your self if this is something that your friends or yourself would be interested in.

yes, she was wanting to do a party for my freinds then I do one with hers is what I understood. I told her I would see if the vendor events I had going on would mind if she was on the vendor list but didn't comitt to swapping shows since I know nothing about them. Not sure I want to get pressured in signing up for membership or get a lecture to buy their safer products?
Thanks for all your input!

I have never met any melaleuca marketing execs who were pushy. My SIL is full time with her Melaleuca business and she is not pushy at all. She knows I signed under her to use the products not sign people. I am sure there are those type of people in every DS business. I have heard of PC consultants who are that way. I am not that way, so I don't want people to assume that all consultants are that way.

My SIL went to a PC party for another consultant...her friend had booked off of someone from way out of town. The consultant asked if anyone had heard of PC and my SIL said "yes, my SIL bought me a set of cookware for my wedding shower". The consultant then proceeds to tell my SIL how sorry she is for not hosting a show for me. She made a really big deal out of it in front of everyone. Now, my SIL doesn't like to host shows and she is attending her friends show to be nice. Now she really doesn't want to do a show. Another guest told my mom how the consultant acted and that she doesn't want to go to a show again. And my mom has to tell her that the other consultant was out of line and that she will be doing a show for me in a week. The other lady is coming to my Mom's show. Those types of consultants hurt the rest of us.

People in my area cringe when you mention that name. I agree "very pushy" and recruit recruit recruit, they dont give up. I for a while kept getting calls too, even after telling them I am 100% satisfied with PC. Never used the products, so I can't speak for that. . .

Hmm, I think I will just see if she can attend a vendor event rather than swapping shows with her after all of this input and thinking about it. Thanks all!

Last edited:
update....hmmm can you say stalker?!:eek: This gal has called me 4 times since my oringinal conversation with her and I told her I would get back to HER! I dont' think I will be joining forces with her! She sounds a bit desperate!

Well, at least it give you a good idea of how NOT to approach your potential recruits!:rolleyes:

Related to Swapping: Should I Work for a DS Company Selling Vitamins & Cleaning?

1. What is "swapping" in relation to working for a DS company selling vitamins and cleaning products?

"Swapping" in this context refers to a potential business opportunity in which a representative from another direct sales (DS) company offers to swap products or services with you, in hopes of mutually benefiting each other's businesses.

2. Is it common for representatives from different DS companies to reach out and offer to swap with each other?

Yes, it is not uncommon for representatives from different DS companies to connect and offer to swap products or services. Networking and collaborating with others in the industry can be beneficial for both parties involved.

3. What are the benefits of working for a DS company selling vitamins and cleaning products?

Working for a DS company in the health and wellness industry can be fulfilling and financially rewarding. Selling vitamins and cleaning products can also be appealing to many customers who are looking for ways to improve their health and maintain a clean home.

4. What factors should I consider before deciding to work for this DS company selling vitamins and cleaning products?

Before making any decisions, it is important to thoroughly research the company, its products, and its compensation plan. You should also consider your personal interests and strengths, as well as the potential demand and competition for these types of products in your market.

5. Would it be wise to accept the offer to swap with this particular DS company selling vitamins and cleaning products?

The decision to accept the offer ultimately depends on your own personal goals and preferences. Consider the potential benefits and drawbacks, and make sure to communicate clearly with the representative to ensure a fair and mutually beneficial arrangement.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• evk1972
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • evk1972
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • wadesgirl