• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Other Ds Rep Asking for Customer Lists?

In summary, this woman has been pressuring a new DS Rep to have a show even though the DS Rep is not interested. The DS Rep may not want to share customer contact information with this woman, and she may feel betrayed by this woman.
evk1972
I am rather new (since Aug 2010) and I have a freind that has been in direct sales for 2 companies (not PC) for over 2 yrs. And she has been offering suggestions and advice and even helped me make contact with an organizer of a very nice up-comming vendor show.

Now she is PUSHING me to have a show for products. I have told her before I am not interested. I just do not care for the product. Last night I get a nasty email from her about how DS Reps need to support each other and that since she helped me get into this vendor fair that I should share my customer lists with her and have a show even if I am not interested. :eek:

First, I would NEVER share customer contact information with another DS Rep unless the customer gave me the OK. Personally, I would be rather upset if my information was randomly shared. Second, I appreciate the help but I am not interested in a show and I do not think I should have to defend that. When I hosted a PC show about 3 yrs ago this is the same person that told me she "does not need any more of that crap". So, respected her feelings about PC and never invited her to any future shows or asked about orders.

Has anyone else had this experience and how did you handle it?

WELCOME TO PC!!Its a betrayal of trust to just give out someone's information. You could suggest doing a combined show with the lady and see who comes from your list. I have a good friend who is a leader PartyLite lady. Actually, she was my rep who turned into a good friend. She has been very helpful to me and even I have helped her, but we have never discussed giving out personal info like that.

I would never give my guest's information to anyone else! I usually tell them that when they give me their email address on the customer care card.

Just bless and release her, you do not owe her anything!

I agree that you should not feel obligated or pressured by her. It actually sounds a bit unethical for her to be applying so much pressure on you. You are not "taking" anything from this friend. She did a good deed for you by getting your name in front of the organizer for the event, but she's also helping herself by getting more vendors (and more customers) at the event. You didn't sign any kind of contract stating you would do ______ if she referred you. You owe her nothing!;)

You are starting a new business and need to focus all your favors with friends, family & customers on getting your business up & off the ground. If she's having that much trouble with her business and needs to try & twist your arm for leads, she's definitely doing something wrong with her contacts & burning bridges. Otherwise she'd have lots of referrals and not need to pressure YOU! You don't want your customers to have ill feelings towards you if she does something inappropriate to them. I wouldn't even have a shared (private) event with her for fear that she would offend my customers & have them shy away from me and my business because I'm associated with her. :(

The more aggressive someone is with their business, the harder it will be. Plain & simple. There's a difference between someone who's motivated, a go-getter and/or a good sales person and people like your friend who harass others to the point that they want to duck & hide to avoid a conversation with the person. ;)

Tell her it's against (your) company policy. this is your business, your policy

I feel your pain! I have a past, repeat hostess, a good hostess, who recently joined a jewelry company. When she told me she was going to join, I asked her about PC. Her response was, that the jewelry would be "easier" for her, since she wouldn't have to do alot of prep work or clean up later on, she could just take her stuff in and out and be done. (This, in spite of the fact that she bakes and sells cookies....lots of them! lol)
I told her that I personally do not care for "costume" jewelry, but that I certainly wished her well.

Recently, she convinced another friend, also a past hostess, to host a show with me, because "she needed stuff", and didn't want to have a show herself. When the girl had the show, she was on vacation and didn't come, even tho she placed a large order.

Her sister-in-law then had a jewelry party, and she called me the night before to see if I would be there, because her sister-in-law told her that I had not RSVP'd, and she was SURE I would do that, since I'm "in the business", after all. Anyway, I never received an invitation, and told her I wouldn't be there, as we were preparing to leave for vacation in a couple of days. She was obviously offended, and actually said to me "Haven't you ever heard of supporting someone else's business?"

I couldn't believe it! This girl was a friend, as well as a hostess, and I'd always been very upfront with her.

I still feel bad, but I didn't give in, because I feel that sometimes you just have to "stand your ground". KWIM?

Bottom line is, if you want to order, or host a show, with whatever company is out there, you should absolutely do it; however, if you really don't want to, you shouldn't, nor should you be made to feel bad about that, either. Period.

But, it is still hard when it happens, no getting around it!!

Paula R. Lewis said:
I feel your pain! I have a past, repeat hostess, a good hostess, who recently joined a jewelry company. When she told me she was going to join, I asked her about PC. Her response was, that the jewelry would be "easier" for her, since she wouldn't have to do alot of prep work or clean up later on, she could just take her stuff in and out and be done. (This, in spite of the fact that she bakes and sells cookies....lots of them! lol)
I told her that I personally do not care for "costume" jewelry, but that I certainly wished her well.

Recently, she convinced another friend, also a past hostess, to host a show with me, because "she needed stuff", and didn't want to have a show herself. When the girl had the show, she was on vacation and didn't come, even tho she placed a large order.

Her sister-in-law then had a jewelry party, and she called me the night before to see if I would be there, because her sister-in-law told her that I had not RSVP'd, and she was SURE I would do that, since I'm "in the business", after all. Anyway, I never received an invitation, and told her I wouldn't be there, as we were preparing to leave for vacation in a couple of days. She was obviously offended, and actually said to me "Haven't you ever heard of supporting someone else's business?"

I couldn't believe it! This girl was a friend, as well as a hostess, and I'd always been very upfront with her.

I still feel bad, but I didn't give in, because I feel that sometimes you just have to "stand your ground". KWIM?

Bottom line is, if you want to order, or host a show, with whatever company is out there, you should absolutely do it; however, if you really don't want to, you shouldn't, nor should you be made to feel bad about that, either. Period.

But, it is still hard when it happens, no getting around it!!

Really? Most jewelry consultants I know take time to polish their jewelry before each show along with cleaning earrings if they let guests try them on.

My aunt is a jewelry consultant and after our combined show last year when I was cleaning up, she mentioned that she could never do PC for the same reason. I was thinking in the back of my head about how I brought EVERY piece of serving plates to put out all the food we bought as hosts - more than I ever would as a consultant. So that's what was taking me so long to clean up!

I've never heard of ANYONE sharing customer list. I have however, done open house type events with multi-vendors where we invited our customers and those that attended got to visit all vendors, thus sharing our customers. I'd never just give out their info.

Re: hosting with her. It's up to you. I know some consultants use the phrase "I do 1 show a year and I've already hosted it with someone else."

I have a former host, now friend who looked at PC a few yrs ago but didn't sign. She's now with Gold Canyon Candles and I've been "helping" her get her biz going. I don't expect anything in return. I enjoy giving her tips and helping get her biz off the ground. I even got her connected with a pre-school fundraiser that I did last year.

Don't feel pressure in anyway to "return" the favor.

wadesgirl said:
Really? Most jewelry consultants I know take time to polish their jewelry before each show along with cleaning earrings if they let guests try them on.

My aunt is a jewelry consultant and after our combined show last year when I was cleaning up, she mentioned that she could never do PC for the same reason. I was thinking in the back of my head about how I brought EVERY piece of serving plates to put out all the food we bought as hosts - more than I ever would as a consultant. So that's what was taking me so long to clean up!

Well, her comment was made, to be fair, about simply bringing her case out, opening and closing it up, in and out, if you will, BEFORE she started, so she may be cleaning stuff now, too. I honestly don't know, and haven't been to her shows. She is a very neat person, so I'm sure she is cleaning whatever would need it though....;)

I do "trades" all the time. "I'll do a show for you if you do a show for me." I don't give them my customer's information. I invite friends, family, neighbors, people in my church group, etc...

Personally, I HATE home parties. The first one I ever went to was the one I hosted to become a consultant. I still hate them, and I can count on one hand the parties I've hosted/attended since becoming a consultant.

The ones I've hosted were because I really wanted something that was offered. Like Usborne Books. I wanted books for my son & nieces & nephews for Christmas - and was able to get over $150 in books for about $40 that way. That was fun...but mostly fun because I love books almost as much as I love food. :D

I've hosted one jewelry party (for an individual with her own jewelry making system), one scrapbooking party (where only one person showed up), and one skin-care party (had 4 people, and less than $150 in sales). That's it. I've decided that unless I'm completely passionate about it, I'm not going to do it.

If someone were to try to pressure me into having a party I didn't want to have and use guilt to do it, I'd probably make sure that they didn't offer me any "help" with my business in the future.

It can be difficult and I try to buy and support other DS consultants when I can. I do try to have a party with a different company once a year. Telling my friends that helps them to feel comfortable coming. I don't push my business or others down their throats. I recently met a MK consultant who was extremely excited about having a PC party. She just got, "I want to have a party in November" out of her mouth then said, "and when can we schedule your Mary Kay party?". Talk about a tough position. I don't buy MK or like the product. I also know about 10 other MK consultants within a stone's through of my front door. What to do?!? Do I tell her that Yes, I'll do a party so she'll do her PC party or do I tell her the truth?!? I told her the truth...right then! As she was booking her PC party I told her.Here's basically what I said to her: "I do not purchase MK products. I don't use the product line and am not looking to switch. I am comfortable with my current products. I am not going to schedule a MK party. If you choose to not book your PC party now that's fine, but I wanted to let you know I don't do party swaps anymore." She still booked her November party.

Thanks for the insights!

If it was a product I was interested in, I would book a show but it is not. But, I did offer to pass her info on to someone I know that LOVES Jewlery and the line this DS Rep sells. Personally, I do not wear jewlery and my friends really do not either. PC, Baskets, Candles, Food stuff....not a problem.

One of my other friends that was first to book a party with me when I started sells MK....she NEVER asked for me to book a party.

I do not like being bullied and I do not give in to guilt trips. This will be a "raise above the situation" situation. :p

evk1972 said:
Thanks for the insights!

If it was a product I was interested in, I would book a show but it is not. But, I did offer to pass her info on to someone I know that LOVES Jewlery and the line this DS Rep sells. Personally, I do not wear jewlery and my friends really do not either. PC, Baskets, Candles, Food stuff....not a problem.

One of my other friends that was first to book a party with me when I started sells MK....she NEVER asked for me to book a party.

I do not like being bullied and I do not give in to guilt trips. This will be a "raise above the situation" situation. :p

Then that's the best you can do for her. If she's not satisfied that is her problem. Your "rise above" strategy is a good one!

I usually don't do swaps either. I politely decline and let them know that if they have a business card or something I can hang on to it and should I have a friend or contact mention that they are looking for a consultant with XYZ company, I'll gladly recommend them. Also, I try not to over expose my friends and family to other DS parties held by me because I will approach them at times with my own business. Plus, we are always meeting other DS reps when doing booths and such, it's impossible to play party swap with everyone and have the show be decent.I do have to confess that I am doing a party swap with a friend. It's a college friend of mine and she sells Scentsy. I'm new to that product line and have been wanting to get some seasonal decorations and candles anyway. She mentioned that she hasn't been to a PC party in ages and so she'd love to do a catalog party. We agreed to both host for each other--catalog shows. This will be the only time I've done another DS party since I've been with PC. (and I hope my friends don't dis-own me or throw things at me when I tell them about the Scentsy catalog show! :blushing:)

I agree that this gal is totally unprofessional.

I do have DS parties, but really try to keep them to a minimum. I am doing a Premier Jewelery party in a few weeks, but it is b/c I really want a few pieces. The last show I had was my PC show about a year and a half ago (before I signed). I have a friend who sells Willow House, and am interested, but told her that I need to wait a while before I do another one.

ChefBeckyD said:
Personally, I HATE home parties. The first one I ever went to was the one I hosted to become a consultant. I still hate them, and I can count on one hand the parties I've hosted/attended since becoming a consultant.

The ones I've hosted were because I really wanted something that was offered. Like Usborne Books. I wanted books for my son & nieces & nephews for Christmas - and was able to get over $150 in books for about $40 that way. That was fun...but mostly fun because I love books almost as much as I love food. :D

I've hosted one jewelry party (for an individual with her own jewelry making system), one scrapbooking party (where only one person showed up), and one skin-care party (had 4 people, and less than $150 in sales). That's it. I've decided that unless I'm completely passionate about it, I'm not going to do it.

If someone were to try to pressure me into having a party I didn't want to have and use guilt to do it, I'd probably make sure that they didn't offer me any "help" with my business in the future.

I'm with you, Becky! I suck as a host! I can't my own friends and family to show up if I host a home party. My best friend on the other hand rotates between PC, Tupperware and Tastefully Simple, doing one show a year. (This year is Tupperware and I can't wait!) Anyways, her shows always do well. I've decided if I want something from another DS company... I just outright buy it... because I know I will get no where in being a host.

She has no clue how to run an ethical business.
1) You customer's info is confidential. It is assumed when they give you that info, that you will keep it safe. For your use only. It is an extreme breach of trust and your friend is an extortionist. This is no friend to you.
2) If one of your customers where to ever get wind of what you did, if you had done it, and was harassed by this women, and it was found out, it could ruin not only your business, but your personal reputation as well. Simply explain to your friend that what she is asking is against your companies and your personal ethics and you will not share that personal information with her. As for hosting for her, tell her you know longer will consider this as you can not do business with someone who has no business ethics. If your "friend" does not understand that, then I would surely never do business with her either. Who knows who she is giving her info too!

I don't have any additional advice. What's been shared here is good. I will say, though, that I'm not sure I'd call someone who applied this kind of pressure a friend.

I agree with Rae. I might call her "desperate" but defiantly not "friend".

ChefBeckyD said:
Personally, I HATE home parties.

I read this line and just starting laughing. Being that we are in the home party business:D! Actually, I never admit it, but I hate hosting parties too. I won't even host an open house. I am a terrible host as well, maybe this is why I a consultant!

cookingwithlove said:
I read this line and just starting laughing. Being that we are in the home party business:D! Actually, I never admit it, but I hate hosting parties too. I won't even host an open house. I am a terrible host as well, maybe this is why I a consultant!

Honestly, I think it's what makes me successful as a consultant. I am sensitive to the reasons why people don't like hosting parties, and so am able to address that - and it makes me work harder to be good at what I do...so that people WANT to host. :)

1. What is a Ds Rep?

A Ds Rep is a direct sales representative for a company, such as Pampered Chef, who sells products directly to customers through in-person or online parties or events.

2. Why would an "Other Ds Rep" ask for my customer list?

Other Ds Reps may ask for your customer list in order to expand their own customer base and potentially increase their sales. They may also be looking for potential hostesses for their parties.

3. Do I have to share my customer list with other Ds Reps?

No, you are not obligated to share your customer list with other Ds Reps. It is ultimately up to you to decide if you want to share this information.

4. Is it against company policy to share customer lists with other Ds Reps?

Pampered Chef does not have a specific policy regarding sharing customer lists with other Ds Reps. However, we do encourage our consultants to respect the privacy of their customers and use their own discretion when sharing customer information.

5. What should I do if I am uncomfortable sharing my customer list with other Ds Reps?

If you are uncomfortable sharing your customer list, you can politely decline the request. You can also suggest alternative ways for the other Ds Rep to reach potential customers, such as hosting their own parties or events.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• evk1972
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Cindycooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • chefheidi2003