• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Strawberry-Cocnut Tres Leches Trifle - Help!!!!!

In summary, one should use the large bowl that is a part of the colander/bowl set to mix together condensed milk, coconut milk, sour cream, and ladyfingers for making Tres Leche Trifle. It is important to use a large bowl, as the Classic Batter Bowl is too small. The Easy Accent Decorator can also be used to make a fancy design on top of the trifle. Reduced fat coconut milk is runny like water and should not be used. Shake the can of coconut milk before opening it to ensure that there is more fat on top.
My director made this for our cluster Seasons Best Potluck. It was very good but she omitted the cinnamon - she said with the cinnamon it tasted like pumpkin pie with strawberries. She also said that she would not make it at a show because it is very expensive -- about $24-$25 for all of the ingredients.As mentioned, pound cake and short cake are suitable substitutions, someone else I know has made it with yellow cake and said that worked well. With the lady fingers being one of the most expensive (and difficult to find) ingredients, such substitutions could be a way to make it a more reasonable recipe.

ChefBeckyD said:
I paid $4.99 for pound cake, $2.99 for strawberries, plus $2.79 for coconut milk, $1.79 for sour cream...I had the rest of the ingredients at home...

jcsmilez said:
My director made this for our cluster Seasons Best Potluck. It was very good but she omitted the cinnamon - she said with the cinnamon it tasted like pumpkin pie with strawberries. She also said that she would not make it at a show because it is very expensive -- about $24-$25 for all of the ingredients.

As mentioned, pound cake and short cake are suitable substitutions, someone else I know has made it with yellow cake and said that worked well. With the lady fingers being one of the most expensive (and difficult to find) ingredients, such substitutions could be a way to make it a more reasonable recipe.

Thanks for the feedback on the pricing. I was just guessing at prices in my head and I came up with minimum $20 - so I see I wasn't that far off. I agree, I probably won't offer this for hosts due to the $$.

THANKS!

So glad to have come across this thread. I am making it for next week's cluster meeting (our "Taste of the Season's Best) to see how it would be for a show recipe. Now I know. (but still want to do it for the eating part :) )

I LOVE this recipe and tho I didn't price it, it didn't seem that expensive to me. And it was SO yummy! Also, I went to a Walmart grocery store (not the super WM) and couldn't find ladyfingers nor the frozen pound cake. However, I went and bought a box mix of pound cake and made one that way using our new metal loaf pan. Now, if you do that for a show I would def. make the cake the night before and have guests cut it up when you arrive. Just talk about the pan you used to make it. Other than that the recipe is easy. You may have a few extra bowls but I just find that a way to talk about more products! People won't think it's a big deal if you don't make it one! Plus, once they taste this they will ALL want to make it!

Also, the trifle is the Mother's Day Special this year - $29... This recipe would sell it!!

Just to make it a little cheaper, we made it and left out the sour cream (not that it cost that much) but it tasted just fine. We really enjoyed it.

I preferred it without sour cream!

Good to know. I guess we'll just have to call it Dos Leche. Now I just have to get a trifle bowl to make it in. Borrowed a cluster mates.

I know Aldi (if you have one close to you) has most of the ingredients for this for pretty cheap. Sour cream (.89) Sweetened condensed milk (.99) whipped topping (.99) vanilla pudding mix (.39). So really the most expensive stuff is the pound cake, coconut milk, and strawberries. Which strawberries are on sale this week at Meijer's 2 for $5, and the pound cake was $3.99. IDK about the coconut milk... forgot to look for that at the store. :D

ajhunt2 said:
Good to know. I guess we'll just have to call it Dos Leche. Now I just have to get a trifle bowl to make it in. Borrowed a cluster mates.

LOL! That was funny!

I made this for a show this weekend - it was a big hit. It was super easy and went together quite smooth. Everyone loved it and I got bookings for April because of the trifle bowl. I'll be making this again for my shows this month.

Hi, we have a Trader Joes here. Coconut milk is 99 cents a can....have a stock in my pantry now!
I have used Trader Joes ladyfinger cookies (2.29 for 36 of them) They are cookies not sponge but, if they soak for a while, they turn spongy - can't be used this way for demo though.

I may try the angel food loaf next time....however.

I also used frozen strawberries that were thawed out and drained. They were way cheaper until they are on sale fresh. Like the idea of slicing bananas and maybe folding them in with frozen/thawed/strained strawberries....

I like the recipe and did not find it too expensive once you do it a couple of times different ways. It gets faster each time I make it.

Made a practice trifle. Oh . . . my . . . goodness! That stuff is amazing! I only ate a smidge (not a diabetes-friendly recipe), but it was enough. The Furry Guy loved it.I'll be making this for my March & maybe even April shows. I'll leave the cinnamon out for the host who's allergic to cinnamon. I think it will taste more coconutty but still good. Though, I love the strong cinnamon taste. Yum!

If I have an open house on Saturday, do you think it would hold up if I made it on Thursday night???

Yes, it will be even better after refrigeration for a couple of days. My last one was made on Friday afternoon and consumed mostly on Saturday night and the remainder on Sunday night. Both nights were awesome!​

LeslieSGI said:
Yes, it will be even better after refrigeration for a couple of days. My last one was made on Friday afternoon and consumed mostly on Saturday night and the remainder on Sunday night. Both nights were awesome!​

Thanks so much!!

ChefCKHall said:
Hi, we have a Trader Joes here. Coconut milk is 99 cents a can....have a stock in my pantry now!
I have used Trader Joes ladyfinger cookies (2.29 for 36 of them) They are cookies not sponge but, if they soak for a while, they turn spongy - can't be used this way for demo though.

I may try the angel food loaf next time....however.

I also used frozen strawberries that were thawed out and drained. They were way cheaper until they are on sale fresh. Like the idea of slicing bananas and maybe folding them in with frozen/thawed/strained strawberries....

I like the recipe and did not find it too expensive once you do it a couple of times different ways. It gets faster each time I make it.

personally, I think I would NOT use angel food cake. We made this last night at our cluster meeting, and my director subsituted the ladyfingers for those sponge cake things that is for strawberry shortcakes and they started falling apart when they were mixed. It didn't taste bad, but the texture was kind of weird. I would subsitute pound cake, I think it would hold up much better than the angel food cake. Just my opinon!

pampcheflisa said:
personally, I think I would NOT use angel food cake. We made this last night at our cluster meeting, and my director subsituted the ladyfingers for those sponge cake things that is for strawberry shortcakes and they started falling apart when they were mixed. It didn't taste bad, but the texture was kind of weird. I would subsitute pound cake, I think it would hold up much better than the angel food cake. Just my opinon!

I agree. With some Trifles, angel food cake works great, but this one, where the cake part is actually mixed with liquid before assembling, needs a sturdier cake.

<h2>1. What is a Colander Bowl and do I have to use one for this recipe?</h2><p>A Colander Bowl is a Pampered Chef product that is a combination of a colander and a mixing bowl. It is designed to make it easier to mix and strain ingredients at the same time. However, you do not have to use a Colander Bowl for this recipe. You can use any large mixing bowl or even a trifle dish to mix and serve the dessert.</p><h2>2. Can I use a glass bowl instead of a Colander Bowl?</h2><p>Yes, you can use a glass bowl or any other large bowl to mix and serve the dessert. The Colander Bowl is not a necessary tool for this recipe, but it may make the process easier.</p><h2>3. Has anyone made this recipe and how did it turn out?</h2><p>Yes, many people have made this recipe and it has been successful. The combination of the tres leches flavors with the fresh strawberries and coconut makes for a delicious and unique dessert. However, like any recipe, there may be some challenges or variations in results depending on individual techniques and ingredients used.</p><h2>4. Are there any tips or warnings for making this recipe?</h2><p>Some tips for making this recipe include using fresh and ripe strawberries, allowing enough time for the ladyfingers to soak up the milk mixture, and being gentle when mixing the ladyfingers to avoid breaking them. As for warnings, be careful not to over-soak the ladyfingers or the dessert may become too soggy. Also, be prepared for a messy process when using the Easy Accent Decorator for the design on top.</p><h2>5. Do I have to use the Easy Accent Decorator for the design on top?</h2><p>No, you do not have to use the Easy Accent Decorator for the design on top. It is simply a tool to help create a visually appealing design, but you can also use a spoon or other kitchen utensil to create a design or simply sprinkle some coconut flakes on top. The design is not necessary for the overall taste of the dessert.</p>

1. What is a Colander Bowl and do I have to use one for this recipe?

A Colander Bowl is a Pampered Chef product that is a combination of a colander and a mixing bowl. It is designed to make it easier to mix and strain ingredients at the same time. However, you do not have to use a Colander Bowl for this recipe. You can use any large mixing bowl or even a trifle dish to mix and serve the dessert.

2. Can I use a glass bowl instead of a Colander Bowl?

Yes, you can use a glass bowl or any other large bowl to mix and serve the dessert. The Colander Bowl is not a necessary tool for this recipe, but it may make the process easier.

3. Has anyone made this recipe and how did it turn out?

Yes, many people have made this recipe and it has been successful. The combination of the tres leches flavors with the fresh strawberries and coconut makes for a delicious and unique dessert. However, like any recipe, there may be some challenges or variations in results depending on individual techniques and ingredients used.

4. Are there any tips or warnings for making this recipe?

Some tips for making this recipe include using fresh and ripe strawberries, allowing enough time for the ladyfingers to soak up the milk mixture, and being gentle when mixing the ladyfingers to avoid breaking them. As for warnings, be careful not to over-soak the ladyfingers or the dessert may become too soggy. Also, be prepared for a messy process when using the Easy Accent Decorator for the design on top.

5. Do I have to use the Easy Accent Decorator for the design on top?

No, you do not have to use the Easy Accent Decorator for the design on top. It is simply a tool to help create a visually appealing design, but you can also use a spoon or other kitchen utensil to create a design or simply sprinkle some coconut flakes on top. The design is not necessary for the overall taste of the dessert.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • lilscrapmama
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefmeg
  • DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies