• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Alternative to Coconut Milk in Strawberry Coconut Leches Trifle

have a Host who really does not like Coconut and is asking if we can do the Strawberry Coconut Leches Trifle but find an alternative to the Coconut Milk. Any suggestions?????
Meigs
I have a Host who really does not like Coconut and is asking if we can do the Strawberry Coconut Leches Trifle but find an alternative to the Coconut Milk.
Any suggestions?????

Thanks for the help!!!

I don't have any suggestions for a substitute, but I was amazed at how mild the coconut flavor was using the coconut milk. Also, I made it for a party last night using "lite" coconut milk, and the taste was even more mild. Maybe she's expecting the flavor of shredded coconut and wouldn't mind the flavor of this recipe?

Thanks Krahema, That is a good point. I have tried it myself and was surprised at how mild the taste was. I will try and recommend the lite version!
Thanks again!

Does anyone think that Chocolate Milk would work? It would be kind of a different swing on things but might be yummy. Or is it a different consistency??

I would recommend heavy cream or half & half in it's place, for the same consistency. I really don't think I'd try chocolate milk.

You could mix evaporated milk and vanilla soy milk. That would be alittle thicker than just milk and the soy would give you good flavor.

I was wondering the same thing, but not just taste but because I wanted to make it for family and my FIL is allergic to coconut.

what about sweet and condensed milk. is that too thick?

You're already using sweetened, condensed milk. I think it would be too sweet. I agree that cream would be the best substitute.

how about coffee creamer? LOL It's super thick and comes in lots of yummy flavors

why don't you make the strawberry cream trifle from a few years ago? It's similar and you won't have to make substitutions that might not turn out too well.

Strawberry Cream Trifle

1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 pkg (10.75 oz) frozen pound cake, thawed
1 qt. fresh strawberries
1 container (16 oz) frozen sliced strawberries in syrup, thawed
1 lemon
3 containers (8 oz each) blended strawberry yogurt
1 pkg (3.4 oz) cheesecake instant pudding and pie filling
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
Powdered sugar

Coarsely chop almonds using Food Chopper. Cut pound cake into 1-in. cubes using Color Coated Bread Knife; set aside. Set aside one strawberry for garnish. Hull remaining strawberries and cut into quarters. In Classic Batter Bowl, combine fresh and frozen strawberries; mix well.

Juice lemon using Juicer to measure 2 tbsp juice. In Stainless (4-qt.) Mixing Bowl, whisk lemon juice, yogurt and pudding mix until smooth using Stainless Whisk; immediately fold in 1 cup of the whipped topping.

To assemble trifle, place one-third of the pound cake cubes into bottom of Trifle Bowl. Top pound cake with one-third of the strawberry mixture. Top with half of the yogurt mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with one-third of the almonds. Repeat layers one time. Top with remaining pound cake cubes and remaining strawberry mixture.

To garnish, spread remaining whipped topping over top of trifle, forming a flat surface using Small Spreader. Sprinkle remaining almonds over whipped topping. Sprinkle with powdered sugar using Flour/Sugar Shaker. Create strawberry fan with reserved strawberry; place into center of trifle.

Yield: 12 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 290, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Carbohydrate 44 g, Protein 5 g, Sodium 240 mg, Fiber 2 g

Cook's Tip: To toast almonds, place almonds into Small Micro-Cooker®; microwave on HIGH 1-2 minutes or until golden brown, stirring after each 30-second interval. Cool completely.

Vanilla or white chocolate pudding and pie filling can be substituted for the cheesecake pudding, if desired. If using vanilla pudding, add 6-8 drops of red food coloring for a pinker color, if desired.

To make a strawberry fan, open the Egg Slicer Plus® and place the strawberry stem end down; slice most of the way through it with wires. Remove the strawberry from the wires and gently fan out the slices.

I actually made the trifle today. I, myself HATE coconut but I fugured I'd give it a shot... I used light coconut milk and you can't even taste that there is coconut in it. I also tried to make it it pink because a host for a show in May wants this recipe and since it's HWC month and her MIL is going through chemo right now and she wanted it pink. It did not turn out as good as I hoped. Actually this whole recipe wasn't how I'd hoped. I made a disaster out of my kitchen with this one and I do not feel comfortable demoing it at a show. Maybe I'll just have to make it a few more times.

Vanscootin, that's the kind of sacrifice we PC consultants are willing to make for our customers. LOL!

I talked with someone today who tried this trifle. She hates coconut and seemed to be able to taste it more than the others who tried it. She ate the strawberries and left the rest.

I do not like coconut but you can hardly taste it!

raebates said:
Vanscootin, that's the kind of sacrifice we PC consultants are willing to make for our customers. LOL!

QUOTE]

Absolutely... I have to figure out how to make this sucker pink! I have a while to figure it out... my family will be sick of it by then. I put it out for dessert and they all loved it... even my 11 month old.

I think I will do it with poundcake next time. The lady fingers were way too soggy. I'm also going to try it with cheesecake pudding mix and milk instead of the evaporated milk and coconut milk... only because the vanilla pudding mix is so yellow... perhaps the cheesecake pudding will allow for the food coloring and not make it orange.

I made this and think there is way too much liquid involved--and I used the pound cake. Has anyone tried decreasing any of the liquid amounts?

I've made it three times, all with lady fingers. All three times I thought that there was just barely enough liquid Hmmmmm.

It doesn't seem like too much liquid for me.

Me either...in fact, I felt like the liquid was the bare minimum. Did you use all it called for, Gail? I use the frozen pound cake instead. I do use more than 1 container of strawberries though. Mine still doesn't look like the picture! :)

I used all the liquid called for, and the frozen/thawed pound cake--I reread the entire recipe and the only thing different was I used a 10 ounce pound cake vs. 16 (10 is all they had in our store). Perhaps that is it.

gailz2 said:
I used all the liquid called for, and the frozen/thawed pound cake--I reread the entire recipe and the only thing different was I used a 10 ounce pound cake vs. 16 (10 is all they had in our store). Perhaps that is it.

That would make a big difference.

Also, I mix the liquids and pour them over the cubed pound cake. I think it makes it easier to mix everything.

1. What can I use as an alternative to coconut milk in Strawberry Coconut Leches Trifle?

There are a few options for substituting coconut milk in this recipe. You can use almond milk, cashew milk, or even regular cow's milk for a non-dairy option. You can also use heavy cream if you are not concerned about the recipe being dairy-free.

2. Can I use coconut cream instead of coconut milk?

Yes, you can use coconut cream as a substitute for coconut milk in this recipe. However, keep in mind that coconut cream is thicker and richer than coconut milk, so you may need to dilute it with a little water or another type of milk to achieve the desired consistency.

3. Are there any other non-dairy alternatives to coconut milk that would work well in this recipe?

Yes, there are several non-dairy options that would work well in this recipe. Some popular alternatives include oat milk, soy milk, and rice milk. These options may alter the flavor slightly, but they will still provide a creamy texture to the trifle.

4. Can I omit the milk altogether and just use water in this recipe?

We do not recommend using water as a substitute for coconut milk in this recipe. The milk adds richness and depth of flavor to the trifle, and using water may result in a bland and watery final product.

5. How can I make this recipe nut-free?

If you need to make this recipe nut-free, you can use a dairy milk or cream alternative, such as oat milk or soy creamer. You can also omit the nuts in the recipe and replace them with a different crunchy element, such as granola or crushed cookies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PCLaurel
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
nikkies
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
Replies
Views
Staci