• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Strawberry-Cocnut Tres Leches Trifle - Help!!!!!

In summary, one should use the large bowl that is a part of the colander/bowl set to mix together condensed milk, coconut milk, sour cream, and ladyfingers for making Tres Leche Trifle. It is important to use a large bowl, as the Classic Batter Bowl is too small. The Easy Accent Decorator can also be used to make a fancy design on top of the trifle. Reduced fat coconut milk is runny like water and should not be used. Shake the can of coconut milk before opening it to ensure that there is more fat on top.
RMDave
Gold Member
I'm supposed to demo and serve this on Wednesday evening. I'll be practicing it tomorrow and feeding the neighborhood. So now I'm stumped.

The instructions say: Whisk together ½ cup (125 mL) of the condensed milk, 2∕3 cup (150 mL) of the coconut milk and sour cream in large Colander Bowl. Add ladyfingers and toss gently using Mix ‘N Scraper®.

Huh? Large Colander Bowl? Colander Bowl? Is it supposed to drip out the bottom in front of the world? Maybe I have the wrong product in mind. Can I just put it in a nice, LARGE glass bowl or is there something magic (and perhaps, embarrassing, about mixing it in a Colander?

Has anybody made this recipe? How successful were you? What are the pitfalls? Forget the fancy design on the top ... Even with the Easy Accent Decorator, I'd make a mess of things.

PLEASE give me your input, suggestions and warnings in advance.

Hugs and thanks to everybody.

I think it probably means the large bowl that's in the colander/bowl set. That's what the picture in the directions looks like too.I'm making it tomorrow for a show (before the show) so I'll post my thoughts more than.

RMDave said:
I'm supposed to demo and serve this on Wednesday evening. I'll be practicing it tomorrow and feeding the neighborhood. So now I'm stumped.

The instructions say: Whisk together ½ cup (125 mL) of the condensed milk, 2∕3 cup (150 mL) of the coconut milk and sour cream in large Colander Bowl. Add ladyfingers and toss gently using Mix ‘N Scraper®.

Huh? Large Colander Bowl? Colander Bowl? Is it supposed to drip out the bottom in front of the world? Maybe I have the wrong product in mind. Can I just put it in a nice, LARGE glass bowl or is there something magic (and perhaps, embarrassing, about mixing it in a Colander?

Has anybody made this recipe? How successful were you? What are the pitfalls? Forget the fancy design on the top ... Even with the Easy Accent Decorator, I'd make a mess of things.

PLEASE give me your input, suggestions and warnings in advance.

Hugs and thanks to everybody.

You can mix it in a big bowl. I tried to use the classic batter bowl when I made it at home and it was a lot to mix in that bowl. I would suggest maybe one of the stainless bowl if you have them.

I made the Tres Leche Trifle last week. It was delicious! You definitely need to use a bowl larger than the Classic Batter Bowl. I made a design with the Easy Accent Decorator but it didn't look like the picture. I just made some swirl dollops on the top and everyone was impressed.

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm making it tomorrow for a show (before the show) so I'll post my thoughts more than.

Please do post.

Also, the can of coconut milk is really thick to start with. Is that correct?

I also think they are referring to the large bowl that goes w/ the colander & bowl set. I saw somewhere else not that long ago, wish I could remember where, where they referred to that bowl by that name.

The colanders are referred to as colanders. The bowls with the bowl/colander set are referred to as colander bowls. That's how I keep them straight.I'm looking forward to your thoughts, Becky. I'm planning to do this trifle for my March shows.

raebates said:
The colanders are referred to as colanders. The bowls with the bowl/colander set are referred to as colander bowls. That's how I keep them straight.I'm looking forward to your thoughts, Becky. I'm planning to do this trifle for my March shows.
:D Funny story why I'm doing the trifle for the party.Last week, in the middle of the week, I started getting phone calls from the guests invited to the party. Seems that on the invite, I had put March 23 instead of Feb 23. :eek::eek::eek: So, I talked to the host, apologized profusely, made a phone call to all guests, and promised the host and the guests a FABULOUS dessert because of my screw-up. They've all been very good-natured about it (I'm sure to get some razzing tomorrow night) and I'm hoping to WOW them so much with dessert that they don't think I'm a total dingbat.So, the demo is the Incredible 30 minute chicken w/ garlic-parm biscuit bites....but I'm taking this with me to appease the masses!:eek::D

At least they're same weekday!

So is the coconut milk THICK (rather than liquid) to start with?

Great opportunity to use the "pampered, not perfect" line.

They have a video of it on CC! Just scroll over 'Products and Recipes' then CLICK on 'Theme shows' then click on 'Mexican in Minutes.' I was making hubby hungry last night as I was watching them in bed on my laptop! :D

RMDave said:
So is the coconut milk THICK (rather than liquid) to start with?

Did you buy unsweetened coconut milk or coconut cream? They both come in a can...and the cream is like sweetened evaporated milk. The coconut milk isn't that thick.

Shake the coconut milk in the can first! It just depends on the can you get! Sometimes there is more of the "fat" on top than other cans. (we cook a LOT of curry in our house!) ;)
You can also get reduced fat coconut milk and that is very runny! Like water! I think it would taste a lot better with the "full fat" kind. :D

Yes, the coconut milk is very thick. I really shake the can before I open it.

rkcreations said:
Shake the coconut milk in the can first! It just depends on the can you get! Sometimes there is more of the "fat" on top than other cans. (we cook a LOT of curry in our house!) ;)
You can also get reduced fat coconut milk and that is very runny! Like water! I think it would taste a lot better with the "full fat" kind. :D

Ahhh, see, I always buy the reduced fat coconut milk!

I used the unsweetened coconut milk. The coconut cream would be too sweet.

ChefBeckyD said:
Did you buy unsweetened coconut milk or coconut cream? They both come in a can...and the cream is like sweetened evaporated milk. The coconut milk isn't that thick.

I bought Thai Kitchen's "Unsweetened Coconut Milk" and its labeled "Premium" (which means nothing) and "First Pressing." It may be filled to the brim, but when I shake the can .. nothing. I'll know when I start to make it. LOL

rkcreations said:
They have a video of it on CC! Just scroll over 'Products and Recipes' then CLICK on 'Theme shows' then click on 'Mexican in Minutes.' I was making hubby hungry last night as I was watching them in bed on my laptop! :D

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.

I made this for my team at the February meeting...it will rock your world! Very easy to put together, no bake. I think it would be great if you used a nice ripe mango, along with or instead of the strawberries (serrated peeler, serrated knife, bar board for demo items).

Great idea Kristen. I'll do it.

I learned the wrong way with the coconut milk! Def shake the can first! It naturally separates in the can. I had to dump it in a bowl and whisk it together.

Re: Strawberry-Coconut Tres Leches Trifle - HELP!!!!!
wadesgirl said:
I learned the wrong way with the coconut milk! Def shake the can first! It naturally separates in the can. I had to dump it in a bowl and whisk it together.

I'll remember to do that.

Naturally the two closest markets don't carry those spongecake type lady fingers. I purchased a 16 oz frozen Sara Lee Pound Cake. Should I use a bit over half of it? Is it a decent substitution?

Lady fingers (or sponge cake) would be lighter, but I think your pound cake would work just fine. I would suggest using a little over half and cutting it into 3/4" cubes.

RMDave said:
Naturally the two closest markets don't carry those spongecake type lady fingers. I purchased a 16 oz frozen Sara Lee Pound Cake. Should I use a bit over half of it? Is it a decent substitution?
You'll need the whole cake. The recipe notes say to use a 16 ounce pound cake in place of the lady fingers.That's what I just used to make mine. For myself, this will never be a demo recipe. In the end, it's mostly just about stirring and layering, and it gets a ton of bowls dirty. But that's just my opinion. I don't like taking a bunch of time to make desserts - I like my desserts quick and easy. This was a time consuming Trifle to make - AND it's a bit too sweet for my taste. For someone who really likes to make desserts, this is probably a great recipe!My son liked it though!

Last edited:
ChefBeckyD said:
You'll need the whole cake.

That's what I just used to make mine.

For myself, this will never be a demo recipe. In the end, it's mostly just about stirring and layering, and it gets a ton of bowls dirty. But that's just my opinion. I don't like taking a bunch of time to make desserts - I like my desserts quick and easy. This was a time consuming Trifle to make - AND it's a bit too sweet for my taste. For someone who really likes to make desserts, this is probably a great recipe!

My son liked it though!

I made this for dessert for Sunday dinner this weekend and had that very same thought! I would have to haul too many bowls to a show to make this!

I think anytime you make a layered something, you're going to dirty a bunch of bowls. It's the nature of the beast! :D

ChefBeckyD said:
You'll need the whole cake. The recipe notes say to use a 16 ounce pound cake in place of the lady fingers.=

I don't see that note in the recipe but I'll take your word for it, Becky. Thanks.

I'm making a sample one this evening and serving it to friends and neighbors (I'm diabetic so won't be trying it.) If it doesn't taste "authentic" to the Mexican friends, I won't call it a "Tres Leches" trifle. The party/show I'm preparing this at is for a large Hispanic family and I don't want to call it something ... it ain't!

Can I make this trifle around 3 p.m., refrigerate it (covered) and then serve around 8 in the evening or will it be too soggy by then?

I had a hard time finding ladyfingers the first time I made this, so I made them myself. Not too difficult!! The second time, I was able to find them.

I would try it with angel food cake to keep it light, though.

Also, I used lite coconut milk (it's not too thick) and fat free sweet milk. The last time I made it I forgot the sour cream and actually liked it better! Also, I use lite cool whip.

I need to figure out the nutritional information with using light everything!! It's soooooo good, though!!

RMDave said:
Can I make this trifle around 3 p.m., refrigerate it (covered) and then serve around 8 in the evening or will it be too soggy by then?

That would be about exactly the timeline I used yesterday for mine.

the ladies at the party loved it. But - they weren't Hispanic...and I didn't call it a Tres Leches Trifle - I just called it a Special Trifle! :D;)

I just finished off the one I made for a luncheon yesterday (great breakfast) and it was spectacular!! :D

ChefBeckyD said:
the ladies at the party loved it. But - they weren't Hispanic...and I didn't call it a Tres Leches Trifle - I just called it a Special Trifle! :D;)

Tonight's sample will be analyzed (and criticized LOL) by a few Hispanic friends. If they say it tastes like "Tres Leches" then that's what I call it, if they turn their noses up at it, I'll name it after Saturday's Host's mother who is celebrating her 85th birthday.

Thanks all!

I made mine the night before and served it after Sunday dinner (which is lunch for those of you don't know LOL) and it was fine. Trifles get better with age. :)

I don't think we carry lady fingers around here... so pound cake or angel food cake is better would you all say? I am trying this at my next family party! :p

YAY! Guess who found 3oz packages of Lady Fingers at a Safeway owned store. Did I say "YAY!" In that case, "YAY!"

Okay, my jury is in on this Trifle.

Everybody loved it. I think the strawberries are really needed to "cut" the sweetness."

My three Mexican neighbors all said it tasted just like tres leches. They also all said that the texture isn't at all like tress leches, but they'd serve the dessert to their friends and family.

Yay!

I use Sara Lee pound cake cut into cubes instead of lady fingers. Also, add sliced banana with the strawberries. Goes really well with the coconut!

Sounds great, Brian. And welcome to the board? Tell us about yourself? How long have you been a PC Consultant?

My recruiter told me today that is would not be a good recipe to demo. She said it had alot of steps. I said "really, I just watched the video yesterday and it looked really easy". Thoughts?

heat123 said:
I don't think we carry lady fingers around here... so pound cake or angel food cake is better would you all say? I am trying this at my next family party! :p

After making this with pound cake, I actually think angel food cake would be too soft and become mushy with all the stirring that needs to be done to incorporate the liquid. If anyone has tried it, I would like know how it worked!

Jennifer E said:
My recruiter told me today that is would not be a good recipe to demo. She said it had alot of steps. I said "really, I just watched the video yesterday and it looked really easy". Thoughts?

Yes but the video doesn't mention how many bowls/dishes/vessels you'll need for each part. I'm demoing it at a party on Saturday. Anybody who shows up early is going to be measuring, cutting, slicing things so I can demo it sweetly the way it is done on the video.

cochef said:
After making this with pound cake, I actually think angel food cake would be too soft and become mushy with all the stirring that needs to be done to incorporate the liquid. If anyone has tried it, I would like know how it worked!

Ya know... I was thinkin the same thing but wanted input from those who made it so far! Thanks.. I will try pound cake! :D

Couldn't find ladyfingers today. I'll look while I'm out tomorrow. I'm making this for Monday's team meeting.

I was debating on trying this one for our meeting. I (amazingly) did find the ladyfingers at our store, but they were 2.79 for one 3-oz package (x 3 for what the recipe calls for)!! That's 8.40 for just one ingredient. Strawberries aren't cheap either. I have to imagine that the pound cake is cheaper than the $8.40, so if I decide to try it, I am going to go with the pound cake.

Has anyone prcied out the total $ for the recipe?

I actually used ""short-cake". (you know--the dessert cups) The bakery lady said it was close to the same thing. Was going to buy the individual ones, then she pointed out some "family sized" ones. It was 12 oz I believe and I used the whole thing. Worked out (held up) just fine.

kam said:
I was debating on trying this one for our meeting. I (amazingly) did find the ladyfingers at our store, but they were 2.79 for one 3-oz package (x 3 for what the recipe calls for)!! That's 8.40 for just one ingredient. Strawberries aren't cheap either. I have to imagine that the pound cake is cheaper than the $8.40, so if I decide to try it, I am going to go with the pound cake.

Has anyone prcied out the total $ for the recipe?

I paid $4.99 for pound cake, $2.99 for strawberries, plus $2.79 for coconut milk, $1.79 for sour cream...I had the rest of the ingredients at home...

Short cake sounds like a good idea! How did that turn out?

<h2>1. What is a Colander Bowl and do I have to use one for this recipe?</h2><p>A Colander Bowl is a Pampered Chef product that is a combination of a colander and a mixing bowl. It is designed to make it easier to mix and strain ingredients at the same time. However, you do not have to use a Colander Bowl for this recipe. You can use any large mixing bowl or even a trifle dish to mix and serve the dessert.</p><h2>2. Can I use a glass bowl instead of a Colander Bowl?</h2><p>Yes, you can use a glass bowl or any other large bowl to mix and serve the dessert. The Colander Bowl is not a necessary tool for this recipe, but it may make the process easier.</p><h2>3. Has anyone made this recipe and how did it turn out?</h2><p>Yes, many people have made this recipe and it has been successful. The combination of the tres leches flavors with the fresh strawberries and coconut makes for a delicious and unique dessert. However, like any recipe, there may be some challenges or variations in results depending on individual techniques and ingredients used.</p><h2>4. Are there any tips or warnings for making this recipe?</h2><p>Some tips for making this recipe include using fresh and ripe strawberries, allowing enough time for the ladyfingers to soak up the milk mixture, and being gentle when mixing the ladyfingers to avoid breaking them. As for warnings, be careful not to over-soak the ladyfingers or the dessert may become too soggy. Also, be prepared for a messy process when using the Easy Accent Decorator for the design on top.</p><h2>5. Do I have to use the Easy Accent Decorator for the design on top?</h2><p>No, you do not have to use the Easy Accent Decorator for the design on top. It is simply a tool to help create a visually appealing design, but you can also use a spoon or other kitchen utensil to create a design or simply sprinkle some coconut flakes on top. The design is not necessary for the overall taste of the dessert.</p>

1. What is a Colander Bowl and do I have to use one for this recipe?

A Colander Bowl is a Pampered Chef product that is a combination of a colander and a mixing bowl. It is designed to make it easier to mix and strain ingredients at the same time. However, you do not have to use a Colander Bowl for this recipe. You can use any large mixing bowl or even a trifle dish to mix and serve the dessert.

2. Can I use a glass bowl instead of a Colander Bowl?

Yes, you can use a glass bowl or any other large bowl to mix and serve the dessert. The Colander Bowl is not a necessary tool for this recipe, but it may make the process easier.

3. Has anyone made this recipe and how did it turn out?

Yes, many people have made this recipe and it has been successful. The combination of the tres leches flavors with the fresh strawberries and coconut makes for a delicious and unique dessert. However, like any recipe, there may be some challenges or variations in results depending on individual techniques and ingredients used.

4. Are there any tips or warnings for making this recipe?

Some tips for making this recipe include using fresh and ripe strawberries, allowing enough time for the ladyfingers to soak up the milk mixture, and being gentle when mixing the ladyfingers to avoid breaking them. As for warnings, be careful not to over-soak the ladyfingers or the dessert may become too soggy. Also, be prepared for a messy process when using the Easy Accent Decorator for the design on top.

5. Do I have to use the Easy Accent Decorator for the design on top?

No, you do not have to use the Easy Accent Decorator for the design on top. It is simply a tool to help create a visually appealing design, but you can also use a spoon or other kitchen utensil to create a design or simply sprinkle some coconut flakes on top. The design is not necessary for the overall taste of the dessert.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • lilscrapmama
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefmeg
  • DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies