• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Black Stone Flaking: Solutions for Clients

I have had that happen, plan on using a hosts stone so that I don't have to haul mine, and theirs is so gross that I'm almost embarrassed to use it!Hosts should clean their stones at least once a week.
flemings99
Gold Member
Client has a stone that is black & has started flaking? Haven't heard of this.....suggestions for client?

I have a customer with the same thing....so interested in the answers.

baking soda paste

I had someone at my last show say she never washes her stone, just brushes it off. It kind of made me cringe. At the same show, I had someone ask what to do if the stone got sticky, I explained about the baking soda trick (baking soda, water, let it sit for 30 minutes). It made me wonder what the first lady's stone looked like.

BlessedWifeMommy said:
I had someone at my last show say she never washes her stone, just brushes it off. It kind of made me cringe. QUOTE]
YUCK!

Baking soda paste works great for me when it seems to have a film or sticky. Sad to admit, but had one with mold on it once. Nothing would take it off, finally used a fresh cut lemon & salt and it did the trick.

My guest last night told me she leaves it in the oven all the time---I'm wondering if the flaking off is stuff that was dripped on to it.?

I had a host once who got out her round stone for us to use w/ an appetizer. It had crumbs and stuff on it so I went to wash it w/ the scraper and all of a sudden, what looked like the seasoning layer started flaking off. She said she just uses it for pizza over and over again and never washes it since it's just pizza crust on it. So....I think since she wasn't really washing it and scraping it, the seasoning layer wasn't a real bonded thing. It was quite odd. I recommended she do the baking soda paste on it and scrape it to get off whatever flakes and then just use it like normal. I always wonder if she ever did or if she even cleans it like she should now that she knows. :)

flemings99 said:
My guest last night told me she leaves it in the oven all the time---I'm wondering if the flaking off is stuff that was dripped on to it.?

Leaving it in the oven will definitely have an effect on the seasoning. It's also not recommended by the use and care for our stones. They're not supposed to be in a hot oven without at least 2/3 of the surface area covered with food.

babywings76 said:
I had a host once who got out her round stone for us to use w/ an appetizer. It had crumbs and stuff on it so I went to wash it w/ the scraper and all of a sudden, what looked like the seasoning layer started flaking off. She said she just uses it for pizza over and over again and never washes it since it's just pizza crust on it. So....I think since she wasn't really washing it and scraping it, the seasoning layer wasn't a real bonded thing. It was quite odd. I recommended she do the baking soda paste on it and scrape it to get off whatever flakes and then just use it like normal. I always wonder if she ever did or if she even cleans it like she should now that she knows. :)

I have had that happen, plan on using a hosts stone so that I don't have to haul mine, and theirs is so gross that I'm almost embarrassed to use it! So, from now on, I haul my own stuff, I don't want to count on using the hosts stuff anymore...

At a show of mine a guest told everyone there about her round stone that "has never been touched by water, and we cook everything on it." Like that was a huge selling point. You should have seen the looks on the guests faces. :yuck:

Last edited:
EEeewwww!:eek:

EEEWWW Is right! OMG I like have had my very first stone since 1997. It is as black as the ace of spades and works wonder BUT I CLEANIT AFTER EVERY USE NO MATTER WHAT! The flaking is them. Not the stone but the gunk that is slowly working its way off the stone after all those uses and no cleaning. Ther reason I know this is because of my sister. I asked HO about this problem about 4 years ago after my sister complained that stone was falling part. After looking at the stone I even knew what the problem but just to be sure I askesd HO. I asked about how she was cleaning it and she told me, "Well, when I remember too". Problem solved. I can also tell you without a doubt, even if you do wash that stone after every use, the "patina" will come off at times. The black stuff is built up food, oils and what not. When washing, a lot of it will come off and over time some begins to stick to the stone and itself. Baking with it kills any germs and simply solidifies the stuff even more. However, there will be times when an air pocket or moisture gets under that patina and it will lift off and flake. Such is the nature of the "patina". Good Cast Iron does the same thing.

ChefPaulaB said:
EEeewwww!:eek:
Agreed.

That is GROSSS!!!!

I wonder how many people at the food she made. Ick.

I have to say that I don't wash my stone every time I use it if was used the night before or a day or two ago. If it has salt residue or crispy crunchys on it, If it's been a while, I will rinse it off before I use it. that's how you get the "patina" that makes it non-stick. I will use water and wipe it off with just my hand. Occasionally, when it's really greasy, I use a drop of soap just to cut the grease.

1. What causes black stone flaking?

Black stone flaking is typically caused by a buildup of carbon deposits on the surface of the stone. This can happen from excessive heat exposure or from using oil or cooking sprays on the stone.

2. How can I prevent black stone flaking?

To prevent black stone flaking, it is important to properly season your stone before use. This involves heating the stone in the oven and lightly coating it with oil. Additionally, avoid using high heat settings and opt for non-stick cooking sprays instead of oil.

3. Can I still use my stone if it has black flakes?

It is not recommended to use a stone with black flakes, as this can affect the taste and texture of your food. It is best to clean the stone thoroughly and re-season it before using it again.

4. How do I clean my stone after experiencing black stone flaking?

To clean your stone, use a scraper or a stiff brush to remove any excess carbon deposits. Then, wash the stone with warm water and mild soap. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or harsh chemicals, as this can damage the stone.

5. Can black stone flaking be fixed?

In most cases, black stone flaking can be fixed by properly cleaning and re-seasoning the stone. However, if the flakes are severe or the stone is damaged, it may need to be replaced. Contact our customer service team for further assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • lockhartkitchen
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • cookingabcs